The Saturday Star Supplement

Scott Alan needs to get the fuck over himself. He was bought as a fuck you to Sevco; a 'because we can' purchase. I'm sure he was well paid for his time.

How can we fit all our great players into the one team? It's doing my head in? What is a definite?
A good goalkeeper. That's all. Everything else is up for grabs. The Lisbon lions were a 2-3-5 formation. Is that still unthinkable? I reckon we have to adapt to our opposition but also think in terms of using our subs wisely. I would freshen up the team with two subs at 60 minutes and leave one for unexpected injuries.

How can we fit all our great players into the one team? It's doing my head in? What is a definite?
A good goalkeeper. That's all. Everything else is up for grabs. The Lisbon lions were a 2-3-5 formation. Is that still unthinkable? I reckon we have to adapt to our opposition but also think in terms of using our subs wisely. I would freshen up the team with two subs at 60 minutes and leave one for unexpected injuries.
The thing for me regarding the lions era was the flexibility/fluidity of the team. Given how soon after our destroying of Inter that the Ajax football philosophy emerged I would say that we were at the forefront of "total football"

What is the right line-up this week may be different next. It depends on form, injuries, opposition and tournament. You are right, it is a fantastic problem to have and we need to be smart. Don't think we'll revert to a 2-3-5 ? but should go more attacking in some games.

Every so often something revolutionary happens in football rather than the usual evolutionary change. eg Brazilians bending the flight of the ball at Mexico 1970, The Cruyff turn, The Panenka penalty.
I remember watching high jumping and everyone did the same jump. Dick Fosbury did something totally different and now it is standard.
I'd like to suggest a radical new tactic When we have a corner line up 7 players in a line 10 metres beyond the penalty box. Keep two near the half way line. None of our players in the penalty box. When the kicker starts three steps forward 6 players surge into the box. One in the middle is tall and deliberately a fraction behind the others. Defenders try to mark our players leaving a possible space for our tall player who is now somewhat shielded by his teammates. Players running forward at pace can certainly leap higher than those with both feet on the ground. This has to be practised hundreds of times. If the corner taker is very accurate with the cross-excellent. If they are a bit too short or too long they still have an inrushing attacker leaping higher than the defenders. This is a tactic that I have never seen used but just invented it a few minutes ago. It would he quite hard to defend. Even if the defence came out with us and ran back as we did then they could inadvertently score an og due to them running towards the goal. In fact if the defence all came out then the ball could even be played on the ground and bundled in. The players facing the goal would have a good head of steam over the turning defenders. It's simple physics of momentum. Any thoughts on whether it might work. The Fisiani corner!

Last edited:
Every so often something revolutionary happens in football rather than the usual evolutionary change. eg Brazilians bending the flight of the ball at Mexico 1970, The Cruyff turn, The Panenka penalty.
I remember watching high jumping and everyone did the same jump. Dick Fosbury did something totally different and now it is standard.
I'd like to suggest a radical new tactic When we have a corner line up 7 players in a line 10 metres beyond the penalty box. Keep two near the half way line. None of our players in the penalty box. When the kicker starts three steps forward 6 players surge into the box. One in the middle is tall and deliberately a fraction slower. Defenders try to mark our players leaving a space for our tall player who is now shielded by his teammates. Players running forward at pace can certainly leap higher than those with both feet on the ground. This has to be practised hundreds of times. If the corner taker is very accurate with the cross-excellent. If they are a bit too short or too long they still have an inrushing attacker leaping higher than the defenders. This is a tactic that I have never seen used but just invented it a few minutes ago. It would he quite hard to defend. Even if the defence came out with us and ran back as we did then they could inadvertently score an og due to them running towards the goal. It's simple physics of momentum. Any thoughts on whether it might work. The Fisiani corner!
:ROFLMAO:! seen it once,well nearly near enough your model Doc, it was a French league match,8 attacking players bunched around the penalty spot,when the kick was taken they all spread out, leaving defenders confused as phuq, bang! goal! would love to see a "Fisiani corner"!

:ROFLMAO:! seen it once,well nearly near enough your model Doc, it was a French league match,8 attacking players bunched around the penalty spot,when the kick was taken they all spread out, leaving defenders confused as phuq, bang! goal! would love to see a "Fisiani corner"!
My approach has the benefit of onrushing players going at full tilt and if a defender touches them they go flying and we get a clear penalty. The goal keeper would never come out for the ball that lands near the penalty spot, too far away. Putting defenders at the posts would be uselessthus a larger target. A further refinement would be stagger the inrushers thus increasing the target zone for the kicker. Just imagine big Kris and Jozo spearheading the charge forward with big Chris the slightly lagging target man. I'm struggling to find a flaw in it.

Last edited:
My approach has the benefit of onrushing players going at full tilt and if a defender touches them they go flying and we get a clear penalty. The goal keeper would never come out for the ball that lands near the penalty spot, too far away. Putting defenders at the posts would be useless. A further refinement would be stagger the inrushers thus increasing the target zone. Jut imagine big Kris and Jozo spearheading the charge forward with big Chris the lagging target man. I'm struggling to find a flaw in it.
aplayer attackin the ball has the advantage over a defender,who is jumping from a set position,hence the blocking,holding,grabbing,shirt pulling and like you say Doc,penalty!!!!!
don't know Lenny's phone number though!

aplayer attackin the ball has the advantage over a defender,who is jumping from a set position,hence the blocking,holding,grabbing,shirt pulling and like you say Doc,penalty!!!!!
don't know Lenny's phone number though!

How do we get the Fisiani corner from a nocturnal post on Celtic noise to the Celtic training ground ASAP? The attackers have no need to pull jerseys. When it works it will be copied and used against us and will be nenamed the Celtic corner. It will be used worldwide

Last edited:
How do we get the Fisiani corner from a nocturnal post on Celtic noise to the Celtic training ground ASAP? The attackers have no need to pull jerseys. When it works it will be copied and used against us and will be nenamed the Celtic corner. It will be used worldwide
I've got a revolutionary idea too.

I call it the "Sutton/Hartson paradigm"

It goes like this:

Deliver a decent ball into the box where someone who can effectively header the ball then propels themselves towards said decent ball using low-level flight and kinesis to simultaneously connect with the ball at their optimum point of flight and direct it into the pokey!

I've got a revolutionary idea too.

I call it the "Sutton/Hartson paradigm"

It goes like this:

Deliver a decent ball into the box where someone who can effectively header the ball then propels themselves towards said decent ball using low-level flight and kinesis to simultaneously connect with the ball at their optimum point of flight and direct it into the pokey!
That'll never catch on, stoopid. ?

Members online

Latest posts

Back