The Saturday Star Supplement

I believe that Bayo and our two big centre backs, will help us in winning balls into the box, from set pieces
From what I've read, Chritsopher Jullien, likes to get up into the oppositions box
Time will tell if we get it right
It's been a while, since we had a real goal threat at corners, on a regular basis
Looking forward to seeing how this plays out, as we get into the new season
HH

Can anyone actually point out a flaw in my innovative corner kick tactic? I'm surprised by the reaction.

Some good ideas new and old for corners I see.
However they all require someone who can cross a bloody baw, and I'm hoping beyond hope that at least 2 of our new guys have that in their locker.

H.H
Every professional footballer ought to be able to take a corner kick and deliver it to within a metre of an intended target. Hell i'm in my sixties and i can still do that.

Every so often something revolutionary happens in football rather than the usual evolutionary change. eg Brazilians bending the flight of the ball at Mexico 1970, The Cruyff turn, The Panenka penalty.
I remember watching high jumping and everyone did the same jump. Dick Fosbury did something totally different and now it is standard.
I'd like to suggest a radical new tactic When we have a corner line up 7 players in a line 10 metres beyond the penalty box. Keep two near the half way line. None of our players in the penalty box. When the kicker starts three steps forward 6 players surge into the box. One in the middle is tall and deliberately a fraction behind the others. Defenders try to mark our players leaving a possible space for our tall player who is now somewhat shielded by his teammates. Players running forward at pace can certainly leap higher than those with both feet on the ground. This has to be practised hundreds of times. If the corner taker is very accurate with the cross-excellent. If they are a bit too short or too long they still have an inrushing attacker leaping higher than the defenders. This is a tactic that I have never seen used but just invented it a few minutes ago. It would he quite hard to defend. Even if the defence came out with us and ran back as we did then they could inadvertently score an og due to them running towards the goal. In fact if the defence all came out then the ball could even be played on the ground and bundled in. The players facing the goal would have a good head of steam over the turning defenders. It's simple physics of momentum. Any thoughts on whether it might work. The Fisiani corner!

You have put a lot of thought into this Fis. ??.

Every professional footballer ought to be able to take a corner kick and deliver it to within a metre of an intended target. Hell i'm in my sixties and i can still do that.

100% agree Fis, however the reality is that most of them cant for one reason or another. At Celtic the best at taking them is wee Leigh, but that opens up the debate about whether a striker should be taking them or should he be in the box looking to score. At the moment our regular taker is Calmac and he is murder a 1 in 5 ratio is successful I reckon.

Still your idea is a sound one although the sheep tried a similar tactic for a while, 5 or 6 of them would line up just outside the box in a line facing the goal then scatter when the cross came in, it wasn't successful against us, but I know they did score a few from that plan, however they seem to have abandoned it now.

You have put a lot of thought into this Fis. ??.
It started out today as a basic concept based on tactics in American football. I realised that the current situation at a corner kick has not changed in decades. Attackers trying to get away from defenders and lots of jostling and chaos and jersey pulling. My idea is based on the team working as team at the corner kick rather than as individuals hoping to get close to the ball. If the attackers are all outside the penalty box when the kick is about to be taken were do the defenders choose to stand? They are not used to this. We can time our run to be in the correct position by the time the ball arrives and from a running start be able to outleap static defenders quite easily. Even if we are closely marked there will be 14 bodies all converging towards the goal at speed and a simple deflection is headed goalwards due to momentum. Goalkeepers would be horrified by 1300 kg of players approaching at top speed. No one so far has pointed out a single flaw.

100% agree Fis, however the reality is that most of them cant for one reason or another. At Celtic the best at taking them is wee Leigh, but that opens up the debate about whether a striker should be taking them or should he be in the box looking to score. At the moment our regular taker is Calmac and he is murder a 1 in 5 ratio is successful I reckon.

Still your idea is a sound one although the sheep tried a similar tactic for a while, 5 or 6 of them would line up just outside the box in a line facing the goal then scatter when the cross came in, it wasn't successful against us, but I know they did score a few from that plan, however they seem to have abandoned it now.

No one who wants a professional sports job should be incompetent. Every professional player should be as skilled with their left foot as with their right. It just takes 10,000 hours of practice to achieve this. You learn it as a child ideally. That's surely not too much to ask of a professional who expects to be paid tens of thousands for 90 minutes performance and perhaps just 8 minutes on the ball. I'd also make them do a crossbar type challenge over and over to prove that they can put the ball exactly where they intend but with targets in the goal rather than make the mistake of practising hitting the crossbar. I would set up cones and use smaller goals in training. as a child I kicked a ball with my right foot against a marked area on a wall and then kicked it to the same spot with my left and the right then left with over a hundred repetitions. I set up an old sheet on a clothes and practised bending the ball over and round the 'wall' without touching it till the sun went down. Night after night. I never intended to be a professional footballer but I never saw the point in being amateurish in training.If a job is worth doing.........

Last edited:
Fis, theoretically you are correct, sadly in practice its not the reality, I am what most folk would call right footed and whilst it is my strongest, I can /could hit free kicks, penalties and corners with my left, when I took over coaching one of the local boys teams I asked each boy what foot he kicked with, out of 18 boys only one answered both feet the rest were either right or left.

We played small sided games in training geared to teaching the boys to use their weaker foot , and game them drills to work on on their own.

But really in reality far to many pros are one footed and most are inconsistent with crossing a dead ball.

I've got a revolutionary idea too.

I call it the "Sutton/Hartson paradigm"

It goes like this:

Deliver a decent ball into the box where someone who can effectively header the ball then propels themselves towards said decent ball using low-level flight and kinesis to simultaneously connect with the ball at their optimum point of flight and direct it into the pokey!

This one is called the Charlie Tully, how to deliver a corner, whilst your mates take a vacation. Thius was bullet proof as your opponents found it impossible to replicate even after been shown 3 times. Ah well, maybe theres some you just cannot get through to.

index.jpg

I lived for two years in Malawi and the local kids played barefoot with a ball made from scrunched up plastic bags tightly packed then heat sealed to make an unbursatable ball. When they finally graduated to boots and a real ball they were Karomoko like in their skills.

Fis, theoretically you are correct, sadly in practice its not the reality, I am what most folk would call right footed and whilst it is my strongest, I can /could hit free kicks, penalties and corners with my left, when I took over coaching one of the local boys teams I asked each boy what foot he kicked with, out of 18 boys only one answered both feet the rest were either right or left.

We played small sided games in training geared to teaching the boys to use their weaker foot , and game them drills to work on on their own.

But really in reality far to many pros are one footed and most are inconsistent with crossing a dead ball.

Used to practise against the school wall shoot with the right and return it with the left , once you kinda got in sync you could build the strength up with the left foot

could hit a rocket of a shot with my weaker left foot
Never understood why players can only use one foot

What is the right line-up this week may be different next. It depends on form, injuries, opposition and tournament. You are right, it is a fantastic problem to have and we need to be smart. Don't think we'll revert to a 2-3-5 ? but should go more attacking in some games.
2-3-5 gives me the heebies no we are not at a level we can employ that formation unless a goal down and 10minutes to go so throw the kitchen sink then yes please do it.

2-3-5 gives me the heebies no we are not at a level we can employ that formation unless a goal down and 10minutes to go so throw the kitchen sink then yes please do it.
Unbelievably as recently as back in the late 1970s, my primary school team used to play 2-3-5 formation (I think this formation was obsolete before WW2), and we used to thrash every team we came up against (usually double figures). No offside traps or tactics for us - only pure skill to defeat the opponents. Simpler times...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back