We still need to talk about Broony

Lubos left peg

Scott Brown will go down as a Celtic legend. He is a fantastic servant to the club there is no disputing that. My question is, at what point will Celtic fans admit that it's time he got less playing time? I don't mean that to sound disrespectful although I understand it may come across that way. But we need to remember that no one is bigger than the club. I'll say what I think and why I think it then you can all feel free to tell me to F off.
Brendans 1st season in Scotland hit the other clubs like a ton of bricks. Fast free flowing football. Midfielders and wingers and strikers destroying teams. Brendans tactic of having Brown fall into the defence and drag opposing players out of position worked a treat. It made loads of space for guys like Sinclair and Roberts to destroy teams. By Brendans second season other teams had sussed our tactics so although we won another treble the football wasn't brilliant. This season, opposition teams know exactly how we are going to play when Brown in on the field. Unfortunately due to his age and all the hard battles he's fought over the years he hasn't got the legs to play any other way. When he was out injured and we had young fit guys in the middle of the park that pace was back in our team. The opposition couldn't handle us. Now Brown is fit and back in the team, and I know it's only been 1 game, I saw the same tactic against Motherwell and so did their manager...slow passing about the back. All our creative players being pulled back as Brown came back into defence. We all love Brown. Brendan does to. But at what point do we put the team before such a player. I know this could cause a few arguments but would be interesting to hear people's thoughts on the subject.

Scott Brown will go down as a Celtic legend. He is a fantastic servant to the club there is no disputing that. My question is, at what point will Celtic fans admit that it's time he got less playing time? I don't mean that to sound disrespectful although I understand it may come across that way. But we need to remember that no one is bigger than the club. I'll say what I think and why I think it then you can all feel free to tell me to F off.
Brendans 1st season in Scotland hit the other clubs like a ton of bricks. Fast free flowing football. Midfielders and wingers and strikers destroying teams. Brendans tactic of having Brown fall into the defence and drag opposing players out of position worked a treat. It made loads of space for guys like Sinclair and Roberts to destroy teams. By Brendans second season other teams had sussed our tactics so although we won another treble the football wasn't brilliant. This season, opposition teams know exactly how we are going to play when Brown in on the field. Unfortunately due to his age and all the hard battles he's fought over the years he hasn't got the legs to play any other way. When he was out injured and we had young fit guys in the middle of the park that pace was back in our team. The opposition couldn't handle us. Now Brown is fit and back in the team, and I know it's only been 1 game, I saw the same tactic against Motherwell and so did their manager...slow passing about the back. All our creative players being pulled back as Brown came back into defence. We all love Brown. Brendan does to. But at what point do we put the team before such a player. I know this could cause a few arguments but would be interesting to hear people's thoughts on the subject.

I raised much the same comment myself last week before the Cup Final and although the points I made were inherently very similar to what a BR did during the Cup Final I was accused of being disrespectful

There comes a time when youth will displace the old guard No matter how good a servant ANY player coach manager has been for the Club the bigger picture MUST always be taken into account and if a player is feeling the effects of growing older then it's only fair that they should be used more sparingly

The player in question BROONY
I remember him as an 18 year old playing against us at Easter Rd probably 2003 and flying into a tackle against BOBO BALDE
BOBO was shown red for retaliation and by association missed the HUNS game the following Saturday

I said at the time that BROONY would make some playe and I was proved correct BUT that was 13/14 years ago and BROONY no longer has the speed or youthfulness to play in such a manner

That's why BR played him in a role that best suited his aging ability

Since being injured against HIBS other avenues had to be investigated and like it or not the team appear to have been playing better certainly more entertaining football in BROONY"s absence

I'm in no way saying that BROONY should be dumped and I don't believe that BR will dump him but with the young guns now proving themselves I don't expect BROONY to still be a shoe in for a starting berth every week

Time will tell and as you said at the start of your post there is NO ONE Person bigger than the Club

HH?

Broony's no daft. He'll have seen Calmac daen "his" job and the impact Christie is makin. The man himself will know it's time. A couple of years in the sun, OZ or USA, away fae the delusionals in blue. Then back to far his coaching badges and lead us to sixteen or seventeen iar and glory in Europe. He maybe goin, but he'll never be far away.
Broony's the bhoy.

I understand why people will say I am being disloyal to Broony. I'm not. This is a guy who my great great grandchildren will know the name of long after they have forgotten mine, he's a Celtic great. I made a thread while he was out injured and we were flying. I asked should he walk into the team when he was fit again. I wasn't going to make this thread until he had played a few games. He might prove me wrong. He might go on and help us win our next game 24-0 ?(got to happen sometime)...I just feel there have been enough games at the start of the season with him and enough games now without him to show

Brendan said the other night we went back to our own ways the managers no daft.Broonys been a great servant to the club but time waits for no man and its clear we are much better moving the ball forward with McGregor and Christie pullin the strings.The time is now Lubo!Hope av no pissed anybody off.

It's a difficult one I suppose, given recent results and performances with Broony out of the side, it's understandable why this debate has started. For me though, he hasn't quite lost it yet. There are some important games coming up and it will be interesting to see where he features in the manager's plans for them.
As pointed out earlier though, Broony will be the first to admit his time is up as a Celtic player when that unfortunate event does come to pass.

The point that a player like Broony isn't necessary for every game is a valid one. It's also true that by playing Broony we probably lose something that a player like McPirlo, Tam or Christie gives us.

However... it wasn't Broony's fault we dropped points against Motherwell. If the Griff wasn't so wasteful, if the ref did his job or if Sinclair found some courage then that game would have finished three or four nil.

Teams like Motherwell are very physical and so Broony still has a job to do against them, their like and the tribute act.

No one should be a shoe in for our team and if broony thought that way I'm sure someone would let him know that. I'm not in any camp at the moment and feel everybody at the club needs to be showing up every day. We will need all the bodies this season, I suspect. Also let's be honest Christie has not shown this level of form over a full season before in his life and CalMac is still a relative newcomer in deep midfield, the auld heid will have a role to play again.

Too early for the loss of the experience i get all the he slows the game etc. Until someone steps up to the mark and bosses the game be careful what we wish for. The LC final after effects and raging was all about the Broonie he gets into their heads and thats the mark of a true proffesional, there will be times when silky football wins the games, but, winning ugly sometimes has the to be the way, rest him and use him wisely, I say, there are countles numbers of opposition fans and players who wish to see the back of the guy, for me if you can still hack and piss off the inexperienced and get into their heads, its a no brainer.
I also know when the time comes we move on but for me he still has much to offer in his tool locker and is still to me as fit as they come. Just my opinion. Maybe a wee role deeper into sweeper territory.

Hail Hail, Lubo great post by the way?.

I think the man himself will know when it's time for him to play less, he knew when the time was right for him to retire from international football & I'm sure he'll bethe same when it comes to the domestic game.

The one thing is he reads a game well, when I do go to a game these days at Celtic Park which is far & few between these days, I'll watch the man just to see how he reads a game. When he came to Celtic he was Mr versatile but his hip injuries put paid to his attacking midfielder days.

If I have one criticism of his game is his unwillingness to lift his head & ping a pass into the forward areas, in his younger days I thought he could be the next Maestro & having watched Paul McStay from his debut to retirement I don't compare them lightly. Broony chose his best position but he does have the ability for a killer pass, but very rarely uses it. The BIG QUESTION who replaces him, when he finally hangs up his boots?

As it happens Lubo i agree with you. Celtic lapsed at times on Wednesday into passing across the back more often. It's not a coincidence. I feel we are more dynamic with the set up without Broonie. I think he would best used in games we know we may have to defend more. Maybe as a sub perhaps.
We all love him but the time to move onwards is possibly here and now.
Now Maria will get her hatchet out for me again?
HH?

OMG!! you better hide wee man,you know-who will baying for yer heid!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Look guys, i love y’all. Your all Celtic. Broony was brought on to slow the pace down and ither players werent good enough, no-ones talking about them hanging up there boots.

Yes y’all make valid points and i understand that there is a lot of sense in them.

Oh n Bill im sorry that i was harsh on you. I love Broony and i think he has done so very much for us. Before the youngsters stepped up it was him we all relied on.

It seemed to me that well we’ve got the youn gsters catch ye later without as much as a backward glance. The guy is just back from injury.

I do get where you are coming from i just personally think he has more to give but concede perhaps not as much running or pitch coverage. In saying that broony was covering every blade of grass less than 6 months ago.

I want him here for the TEN, i feel he has earned that.

If he is here for the TEN there is enough work to be done by everyone and he still can play a role for us.

I understand why people will say I am being disloyal to Broony. I'm not. This is a guy who my great great grandchildren will know the name of long after they have forgotten mine, he's a Celtic great. I made a thread while he was out injured and we were flying. I asked should he walk into the team when he was fit again. I wasn't going to make this thread until he had played a few games. He might prove me wrong. He might go on and help us win our next game 24-0 ?(got to happen sometime)...I just feel there have been enough games at the start of the season with him and enough games now without him to show
I wouldn't say you are being disloyal to Broony as much as loyal to Celtic... the best, most cutting team has to be on the pitch. Those who are off the pace will have to marvel from the sidelines.

Back