what fergus said

There is a deep well of shame inside me for how I treated Fergus McCann during his time at Celtic. In spite of delivering on every one of his promises, I still howled with derision while minty pulled his moonbeams and we we seemed to be reverting back to the penny-pinching mindset of the previous regime.

If only I knew then what I know now.

There were a few passengers along for the ride with Fergus and they deserve a thought or two as well, but Fergus stood there front and centre and never gave, or asked for, a quarter.

He went toe-to-toe with our off-field enemies and generally won. He has my eternal gratitude and I hope that he can forgive me and many others for the open contempt we treated him with.

Knowing Fergus though, he will have no fucks left to give about what I thought of him.

His importance in Celtic history stands shoulder-to-shoulder with Walfrid, Maley and Stein. These three may have given life to the legend, but Fergus ensured that the legend continued when he pulled it away from a bullet to the back of the head.

There is a deep well of shame inside me for how I treated Fergus McCann during his time at Celtic. In spite of delivering on every one of his promises, I still howled with derision while minty pulled his moonbeams and we we seemed to be reverting back to the penny-pinching mindset of the previous regime.

There were a few passengers along for the ride with Fergus and they deserve a thought or two as well, but Fergus stood there front and centre and never gave, or asked for, a quarter.

He went toe-to-toe with our off-field enemies and generally won. He has my eternal gratitude and I hope that he can forgive me and many others for the open contempt we treated him with.

Knowing Fergus though, he will have no fucks left to give about what I thought of him.

His importance in Celtic history stands shoulder-to-shoulder with Walfrid, Maley and Stein. These three may have given life to the legend, but Fergus ensured that the legend continued when he pulled it away from a bullet to the back of the head.
Wee bit of news about the Gerrard and the player story who is still to be paid.
Banners to the breeze 25th March 2019 at 23:39

Just some clarification for Allyjambo; the connection between Level 5 and The Sunday Post is Jim Wilson. James Traynor and him are not only both faux Airdrie supporters but related through marriage. The Rangers now want Steven Gerrard off the pay-roll and big favours are being repaid.

Wee bit of news about the Gerrard and the player story who is still to be paid.
Banners to the breeze 25th March 2019 at 23:39

Just some clarification for Allyjambo; the connection between Level 5 and The Sunday Post is Jim Wilson. James Traynor and him are not only both faux Airdrie supporters but related through marriage. The Rangers now want Steven Gerrard off the pay-roll and big favours are being repaid.
Please tell more please Boab ?
HAIL HAIL ??

Great post SP

SP I concur, went with my boys to Cardiff to watch Celtic play Inter Cable Tel in a European match.
Jansen were the new manager, i asked "Mr McCann can you sign your autograph for my sons"
He asked my oldest who replied in a home counties accent a question, my son being so shy mumbled his name. Those bits of paper he signed for my eldest and my late son are all gone.
Thanked Mr McCann for saving Celtic, he said up to these guys now. God bless him.

Tin hat on, I will always be grateful for what the bunnet did for the club, but sorry, I don't think he would make the first page of Celtic legends maybe not even the first chapter. Fergus is a businessman, he knew Celtic were ripe to make a killing from in business terms. We now know that John Keane and co had the money to keep the bank from making life seriously difficult for us, I believe they had to cough up 1m. When the share issue was massively over subscribed to the tune of 14 million when we were trying to raise 9m, we were home and dry, never forget the fans efforts during this time.
The hun media were foaming at the chops, but they were only doing what comes natural to them which was to kick us when we were down, does anyone really think that our club would have died if Fergus hadn't come, seriously, not one man or woman on earth would have stepped in if Fergus hadn’t? I don't buy that for a minute.
Does nobody think that if the late great Tommy Burns had been given just a wee bit more help from the board it might have made a difference? We will never know but it wouldn't have harmed our chances.
The second share issue to buy out Fergus after his 5 year plan was up was also a huge success, especially for the bunnet, I don't grudge him one thin dime as that's the way business works.
We have many things to thank him for, we have the best stadium in Scotland by far, and unlike the people in charge today, he had a real set of cajonas on him and ripped the SFA a new arse, he would have went to war with the cheatin Bassas at the Bigotdome and the SFA, and would have fought them to the finish.
So while I have many things to thank the guy for, I feel extremely uncomfortable at the talk of statues and legendary status, but I do understand that a lot of fans will think differently and im probably in the minority.

Tin hat on, I will always be grateful for what the bunnet did for the club, but sorry, I don't think he would make the first page of Celtic legends maybe not even the first chapter. Fergus is a businessman, he knew Celtic were ripe to make a killing from in business terms. We now know that John Keane and co had the money to keep the bank from making life seriously difficult for us, I believe they had to cough up 1m. When the share issue was massively over subscribed to the tune of 14 million when we were trying to raise 9m, we were home and dry, never forget the fans efforts during this time.
The hun media were foaming at the chops, but they were only doing what comes natural to them which was to kick us when we were down, does anyone really think that our club would have died if Fergus hadn't come, seriously, not one man or woman on earth would have stepped in if Fergus hadn’t? I don't buy that for a minute.
Does nobody think that if the late great Tommy Burns had been given just a wee bit more help from the board it might have made a difference? We will never know but it wouldn't have harmed our chances.
The second share issue to buy out Fergus after his 5 year plan was up was also a huge success, especially for the bunnet, I don't grudge him one thin dime as that's the way business works.
We have many things to thank him for, we have the best stadium in Scotland by far, and unlike the people in charge today, he had a real set of cajonas on him and ripped the SFA a new arse, he would have went to war with the cheatin Bassas at the Bigotdome and the SFA, and would have fought them to the finish.
So while I have many things to thank the guy for, I feel extremely uncomfortable at the talk of statues and legendary status, but I do understand that a lot of fans will think differently and im probably in the minority.
You have your opinion and well put you put it.
But, this is a big but??
Fergus came in at the last minute and paid the banks.
Then others seen there were a few bob to be made and raised their heads above the parapet.
Fergus wrestled control from the banks who were closing the club that day.
He deserves a statue as the man who gave us a Stadium to be pround of and a firm finacial footing.

I don't think you'll have to take cover, B. Different folk have different experiences.

Part of my initial annoyance at Fergus was based on the fact that he made no secret of the fact that he was going to make good on his initial investment, but hindsight has allowed me to admire his frankness about that.

It's what sets Celtic apart from the other mob. We at least openly discuss these subjects and may well have a variety of thoughts. At least we're not blinded by entitlement and self-righteousness.

You have your opinion and well put you put it.
But, this is a big but??
Fergus came in at the last minute and paid the banks.
Then others seen there were a few bob to be made and raised their heads above the parapet.
Fergus wrestled control from the banks who were closing the club that day.
He deserves a statue as the man who gave us a Stadium to be pround of and a firm finacial footing.

I don't deny Fergus invested heavily Tommy, but I was under the impression that John Keane paid the 1million to the bank when the feckers were threatening us with closure, this secured his seat on the board, im ready to be shot down in flames but that is how I remembered it, no single invester came close to what Fergus put in, but as a support, we came close mate, because I don't have the greatest of memories I can't remember how much he made from his shares, but it was definitely worth his while financially investing in Celtic Tommy.

said he was here for five years and would build a new stadium. He was here for five years and he built a new stadium. No lies. No bull.
" Those were the days my friends "
They were the days , no bullshit ,sure he was a business man ,but what a difference between fergus and the glib bas!!!!!!on the south side, the wee man was upfront !,I don’t grudge him anything,hh

I don't think you'll have to take cover, B. Different folk have different experiences.

Part of my initial annoyance at Fergus was based on the fact that he made no secret of the fact that he was going to make good on his initial investment, but hindsight has allowed me to admire his frankness about that.

It's what sets Celtic apart from the other mob. We at least openly discuss these subjects and may well have a variety of thoughts. At least we're not blinded by entitlement and self-righteousness.

I'll never give the guy anything less than 10 out of 10 for his honesty SP, he was a breath of fresh air on that front. We need more like him in Scottish football, just compare him with that ringpiece the lying king

Members online

No members online now.

Back