what fergus said

I don't deny Fergus invested heavily Tommy, but I was under the impression that John Keane paid the 1million to the bank when the feckers were threatening us with closure, this secured his seat on the board, im ready to be shot down in flames but that is how I remembered it, no single invester came close to what Fergus put in, but as a support, we came close mate, because I don't have the greatest of memories I can't remember how much he made from his shares, but it was definitely worth his while financially investing in Celtic Tommy.
Benigus.
As we remember the time it means that neither of us are teenagers, who were willing to put what in and those that followed I salute all.
When the call came, men came forward and saved the day. That to.me is above who were first to show money to the BOS.
Taking on the SFA and building a World class stadium. Fergus gets the honour

Tin hat on, I will always be grateful for what the bunnet did for the club, but sorry, I don't think he would make the first page of Celtic legends maybe not even the first chapter. Fergus is a businessman, he knew Celtic were ripe to make a killing from in business terms. We now know that John Keane and co had the money to keep the bank from making life seriously difficult for us, I believe they had to cough up 1m. When the share issue was massively over subscribed to the tune of 14 million when we were trying to raise 9m, we were home and dry, never forget the fans efforts during this time.
The hun media were foaming at the chops, but they were only doing what comes natural to them which was to kick us when we were down, does anyone really think that our club would have died if Fergus hadn't come, seriously, not one man or woman on earth would have stepped in if Fergus hadn’t? I don't buy that for a minute.
Does nobody think that if the late great Tommy Burns had been given just a wee bit more help from the board it might have made a difference? We will never know but it wouldn't have harmed our chances.
The second share issue to buy out Fergus after his 5 year plan was up was also a huge success, especially for the bunnet, I don't grudge him one thin dime as that's the way business works.
We have many things to thank him for, we have the best stadium in Scotland by far, and unlike the people in charge today, he had a real set of cajonas on him and ripped the SFA a new arse, he would have went to war with the cheatin Bassas at the Bigotdome and the SFA, and would have fought them to the finish.
So while I have many things to thank the guy for, I feel extremely uncomfortable at the talk of statues and legendary status, but I do understand that a lot of fans will think differently and im probably in the minority.
They may have had the money to clear the bank debt but if i read right ,they did not have all the old shares nor did they have the means to under write the share issue ,maybe read it wrong

The Bunnet had buisness plan the tied in with building the club from the foundations upwards ,he was also shit hot at the finances

Others had the chance to make a move , they didn't

Fergus made everyone aware from the get go what his plan was ,most riddiculed him others backed him

He's a legend in my eyes

Benigus.
As we remember the time it means that neither of us are teenagers, who were willing to put what in and those that followed I salute all.
When the call came, men came forward and saved the day. That to.me is above who were first to show money to the BOS.

I think our wires are a wee bit crossed here Tommy mate, it's irrelevant who put the first money into the bank as Keane, Dempsey and Fergus we're all working together for the greater good of the club, I suppose the point I was making was that we are an institution to people all over the world, we were never going to die like the press made out.
PS, yet another cracking wee debate on Celtic Noise, as it should be mate.

Benigus.
Remember standing in the que in kerrydale street a wet pishin it down night with our share applications and a few press sitting in their car telling us it would fail ,like everyone else we didn't gie a fk

and the crowds were still coming

that must have sickend them , the most succesful football share issue in the uk

I think our wires are a wee bit crossed here Tommy mate, it's irrelevant who put the first money into the bank as Keane, Dempsey and Fergus we're all working together for the greater good of the club, I suppose the point I was making was that we are an institution to people all over the world, we were never going to die like the press made out.
PS, yet another cracking wee debate on Celtic Noise, as it should be mate.
As it should be ,we all have differing opinions,!!!at the end of the day we are where we are because fergus and all with him, would not let this club die, forever grateful,hh

"As I have indicated some time ago, I intend to divest my shareholding when I leave the Club. In doing so, my overriding principle is that I shall do what I believe is best for the future of Celtic. I have also indicated my intention that my shareholding will be made available to be held broadly amongst the supporters and existing shareholders of the Club. I believe that this should produce the best structure of ownership for the Club and the Company." ~ Fergus McCann
"I'm just a footnote in the grand scheme of things. Brother Walfrid was the visionary who started things and his is a name that should stay in people's minds." ~ Fergus McCann
Hail Hail "the Bunnet"

IIRC
Fergus came in and made it clear he would be there for 5yrs and would walk away then .
He knocked down a stadium not fit for purpose going forward and built a new one with 10,000 more seats than minty could put in the bigot dome ,an action that haunts the new club today as much as it did the old club back then .
Just think of how much extra revenue that 10,000 seats has made us since the bunnet dunnet

HH wee fergus

Fergus put in £9mill of his own money into Celtic out of his estimated fortune of £17mill.
He left with £44mill for his shares in '98 if memory serves me.
It was Fergus that put the £1mill up to stop the bank closing the club with 9 others putting round £1mill each.
Your bang on mate,there was a lot of promises of donations from rich individuals but when push came to shove the bunnet was the only one who ponied up??

Fergus put in £9mill of his own money into Celtic out of his estimated fortune of £17mill.
He left with £44mill for his shares in '98 if memory serves me.
It was Fergus that put the £1mill up to stop the bank closing the club with 9 others putting round £1mill each.

It was done at the eleventh hour. Fergus put his cash up as did others but fergus put his expertise up also.

You ever watched dragons den.

Yeah he made a few quid. Good on him he never said otherwise.

He saved our club, our history, built our stadium, put a new risk averse process in place and took on the sfa farry and won.

HH ☘️

Back