When The Pope met a Celtic Star, 'Who is that fella standing beside Charlie Tully?'

My Grandad used to play against a wall outside Celtic park when he was a kid and Jimmy McGrory used to come out and play with him and his pals. He always used to tell that story.
I never told him I'd heard it before as his face used to be beaming as soon as he was chatting. 'He could heid the ba further than these players today could kick it, and the ba was twice as heavy n'all.
Tully and the corner kick legend was rolled out on many a walk to a game.

Bertie Peacock too and Bobby Evans. He used to work for a fireplace making company in Bridgeton. When I first heard of the 7-1 game I asked him if he was there as he seemed to never miss a game. He looked choked when he said he got offered overtime so took it and missed the game. He looked so gutted when he told me I never brought it up again. ' 5 kids tae feed son, some things are more important than fitba'. I've always remembered that as a lesson in life though if I ever miss out on something I really wanted to do due to work. At least it wasn't the 7-1 game!

He used to be scathing though of the 'modern' player. Roy Aitken was a 'carthorse' and don't get me started on Peter Grant. Refused to go to his testimonial against Bayern Munich just cos he'd had to watch him being rotten for 10 years :)

Wish I could go back and talk to him now. All those stories are wasted on the young. He'd talk to me all day on a Saturday about Celtic and the history. Wish I could remember even half. Still he gave me Celtic. Nae a bad gift that!

Could not agree more with your comment "still he gave me Celtic"we should all be thankful to our fathers/grandfathers for that gift.
So right pal, we don't even realise at the time. I brought a davie Cooper video home from the library, watched it every day for a week. Suddenly I get a phone passed to me at home and it's my Granda asking if I wanted to go to the game on Saturday. Took me all the time for years after that. If I'd known that's all it would have taken I'd have asked for a library card way earlier:)

My dad wasn’t much of a football fan, but my mum and uncles were all Celtic daft. One of my uncles, a former miner, was bedridden with a stroke in his latter years, and I used to love sitting with him and listening to his stories of Tully, McPhail, Evans & co. One of his favourites was the time Charlie Tully took a throw in and bounced it off a Falkirk player’s back. Another uncle was at the game in which Johnny Thomson lost his life at Ibrox in 1931.

It was an education and a privilege to hear my uncles’ first hand accounts of Celtic history from the 1920s to the 1950s. I can take it from there for my grandchildren, and as soon as they show any interest in the game, I’ll be only too happy to tell them about the Lions and beyond!

Back