Will Local Superiority and Bragging Rights be a Habit too Hard to Break for the Celtic Support?

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting article Niall, I did wonder with big Pete leaving at seasons end if he was moving into a wee number in Switzerland and was going to be our eyes and ears for the changes ahead.

Hopefully with the in house happenings at Celtic park we will be in a position to compete again against the oligarchs on a regular basis in a few seasons time.

Still I would like us to be involved in a European league of some sort even if it is a second or 3rd division, with the right people at the helm and our fan base we wouldn't be there for long, but it would of course mean a radical change at home.

H.H

Interesting article Niall, I did wonder with big Pete leaving at seasons end if he was moving into a wee number in Switzerland and was going to be our eyes and ears for the changes ahead.

Hopefully with the in house happenings at Celtic park we will be in a position to compete again against the oligarchs on a regular basis in a few seasons time.

Still I would like us to be involved in a European league of some sort even if it is a second or 3rd division, with the right people at the helm and our fan base we wouldn't be there for long, but it would of course mean a radical change at home.

H.H

H.H
Interesting point on Lawwell, not sure if he'd have to be employed in some capacity with Celtic though to allow him to stay on committees etc but a stand alone job at UEFA might be something he'd court.
What do you think re the patience aspect. We all ask for changes but would we fold as we build it all and in the short-term at least the trophies are hard to come by?

Interesting point on Lawwell, not sure if he'd have to be employed in some capacity with Celtic though to allow him to stay on committees etc but a stand alone job at UEFA might be something he'd court.
What do you think re the patience aspect. We all ask for changes but would we fold as we build it all and in the short-term at least the trophies are hard to come by?
I definitely expect to see Lawwell in a role in some sort of European football organisation within the next year or two. Hopefully there will be some sort of restructuring of European Leagues too, with cross-border Superleagues to improve the profile and income for tge big teams stuck in small leagues like us.

I definitely expect to see Lawwell in a role in some sort of European football organisation within the next year or two. Hopefully there will be some sort of restructuring of European Leagues too, with cross-border Superleagues to improve the profile and income for tge big teams stuck in small leagues like us.
It's probably a selfish approach but totally agree on the cross border leagues. We are stunted here. I guess that's what UEFA is trying to avoid or at least delay with some of the champions league changes.

Going by his fiscal track record and the fact he has vast experience in TV/ uefa and attracting large sponsership deals he would be the ideal person head hunted to take over and restructure the shit hole that is the sfa
Who are potless on there knees and draconian on every level :unsure: ah forgot he's not a hun

While I agree with much of the article , when Niall asks if we have the patience to see our best players being sold I have to say that that already happens and has been happening all through my lifetime of support for the team .
From Bobby Collins , Pat Crerand , Dalglish , Macari , Hay , Nicholas .......Virgil V D , Wanyama , Tierney .

We HAVE been doing part of what Ajax has done but without the balancing factor of building PROPERLY on the talent produced and the money they generate .

I sincerely hope that THIS TIME the ( alleged ) changes at the club will have a long term benefit .

HH

64,000 dollar question that, myopia in a football sense is something I'm sure we are all guilty of, its easy to sit here and say yeah I would sacrifice a couple of trophy less years if it was for the good in the long run, I've met and agreed with many Celtic fans over the years that would have happily seen Celtic start in the 4th tier in England and work our way up if it ment leaving this backwater behind, I'm sure the same would apply to a European league, but I'm also sure that there is now a whole generation of Celtic fans that would throw the toys out the pram at every setback.

On a personal note I would welcome it with open arms.

While I agree with much of the article , when Niall asks if we have the patience to see our best players being sold I have to say that that already happens and has been happening all through my lifetime of support for the team .
From Bobby Collins , Pat Crerand , Dalglish , Macari , Hay , Nicholas .......Virgil V D , Wanyama , Tierney .

We HAVE been doing part of what Ajax has done but without the balancing factor of building PROPERLY on the talent produced and the money they generate .

I sincerely hope that THIS TIME the ( alleged ) changes at the club will have a long term benefit .

HH
That's a strange one in itself. take Hakim Ziyech move to Chelsea, he posted a farewell message on Instagram and the posts from ajax fans were favourable, seems they expect and understand players move on and wish them luck. Of that list of players most - but certainly not all - would have met a fair degree of negativity and animosity, but I'm sure as you point out much of that is possibly down to the fact at Celtic we know we are unlikely to see the reinvestment. Fingers crossed we are about to see those sort of changes ahead. Like you I'm not entirely certain I'll be holding my breath. Hopeful rather than expectant I guess.

64,000 dollar question that, myopia in a football sense is something I'm sure we are all guilty of, its easy to sit here and say yeah I would sacrifice a couple of trophy less years if it was for the good in the long run, I've met and agreed with many Celtic fans over the years that would have happily seen Celtic start in the 4th tier in England and work our way up if it ment leaving this backwater behind, I'm sure the same would apply to a European league, but I'm also sure that there is now a whole generation of Celtic fans that would throw the toys out the pram at every setback.

On a personal note I would welcome it with open arms.
I'd be interested to see how I'd react myself. I know I'd want it and I'd like to think I'd happily set aside two or three years to build something, but I'm also aware I may chuck the toys out the pram if I don't see progress :rolleyes:

H.H
Something needs to happen to freshen up the game and let the true champions back in seen today some high up guy said we shud have an automatic place rather than England having extra places for winning fuck all if they let all champs into the mix it wid be better and teams will get better aswell so it's a win win

It's probably a selfish approach but totally agree on the cross border leagues. We are stunted here. I guess that's what UEFA is trying to avoid or at least delay with some of the champions league changes.
Agreed but the problem is the teams we would end up in a league with and playing x number of times a season would be Europa League level teams. We would find our level and so would other teams around Europe.
Now i'm not saying Scotlands fun, more entertaining, but you kinda look forward to playing in Europe each season.
Cross border leagues would take that away and you'd end up bored tae feck of playing team U,V,X,Y,Z x 2 or 4 in European every season.
We wouldn't be getting the sexy games, just the crap thats seems to be our level at the moment

"While all this is going on around football matters at a first team level there are clear issues when it comes to recruitment and youth development pathways for young players, evidenced by the recent haemorrhaging of young talent at the club. If Celtic are doing this properly, if a genuine overarching strategy is emerging, there is clearly a lot of work to be done, work that would be tough enough to not only carry out but also ensure it remains confidential to rival clubs at home and abroad, and work that is constrained greatly by the Covid 19 landscape."

Thanks for bringing this up, Niall. This is one elephant -- maybe a baby elephant, but still one that needs attention -- in the room that isn't talked about enough. For the most part, the talent Celtic needs is just a call to the Colts away -- or at least used to be. My hope is that they fix this, and quickly, so we're not unnecessarily wasting talent.

Agreed but the problem is the teams we would end up in a league with and playing x number of times a season would be Europa League level teams. We would find our level and so would other teams around Europe.
Now i'm not saying Scotlands fun, more entertaining, but you kinda look forward to playing in Europe each season.
Cross border leagues would take that away and you'd end up bored tae feck of playing team U,V,X,Y,Z x 2 or 4 in European every season.
We wouldn't be getting the sexy games, just the crap thats seems to be our level at the moment
Always a risk STG, I felt the same with joining English football. Playing Liverpool and Man U seems appealing but they'd visit Glasgow once a season, here would be a lot of games that would bore me there as much as Motherwell. From an investment point and realising the growth potential of the club I'd like a cross border league but can't guarantee you excitement every week or euro fitba ever season.

"While all this is going on around football matters at a first team level there are clear issues when it comes to recruitment and youth development pathways for young players, evidenced by the recent haemorrhaging of young talent at the club. If Celtic are doing this properly, if a genuine overarching strategy is emerging, there is clearly a lot of work to be done, work that would be tough enough to not only carry out but also ensure it remains confidential to rival clubs at home and abroad, and work that is constrained greatly by the Covid 19 landscape."

Thanks for bringing this up, Niall. This is one elephant -- maybe a baby elephant, but still one that needs attention -- in the room that isn't talked about enough. For the most part, the talent Celtic needs is just a call to the Colts away -- or at least used to be. My hope is that they fix this, and quickly, so we're not unnecessarily wasting talent.
There may be a way Larry!

Always a risk STG, I felt the same with joining English football. Playing Liverpool and Man U seems appealing but they'd visit Glasgow once a season, here would be a lot of games that would bore me there as much as Motherwell. From an investment point and realising the growth potential of the club I'd like a cross border league but can't guarantee you excitement every week or euro fitba ever season.
Without a doubt we need greater resources to compete but if it goes the way it’s heading and the elite turn into a closed shop, then we’re left with the rest. Greater resources in a Europa level league. I’d rather we used our current resources better and entered a competition every year like we do with the opportunity to play the big teams I’d good enough.
Unfortunately we ain’t ever going to be able to compete with the finances of the big teams from the big leagues no matter how much money we have. Our only chance is if we produce world class players and teams from within

Reactions: CAZ
Without a doubt we need greater resources to compete but if it goes the way it’s heading and the elite turn into a closed shop, then we’re left with the rest. Greater resources in a Europa level league. I’d rather we used our current resources better and entered a competition every year like we do with the opportunity to play the big teams I’d good enough.
Unfortunately we ain’t ever going to be able to compete with the finances of the big teams from the big leagues no matter how much money we have. Our only chance is if we produce world class players and teams from within
There is a current (not currant - they died) battle between those who want the closed shop and those who realise the history of certain clubs is important. It will be interesting to see how that concludes, even from a business persepctive longevity needs fresh involvement not he same teams every year. That eats itself. unless they go franchise like america of course. I feel for the children.

Members online

Latest posts

Back