Wind of change down Ayrshire way ?

Frank Owen

We took the 5 granweans down to Ayr yesterday to see the Red Arrows display. Very good it was, too.
Three of them actually live in Alloway, so it was a matter of picking' up the other two from Glasgow and heading through.

Maybe the fact that I'm telling this story says more about me than I care to admit to. Thing is, I couldn't help but notice the number of folk, both adults and kids, wearing some kind of Celtic attire. Now I am only too aware of Ayrshire's image of being overwhelmingly blue. Not yesterday it wasn't.

What was also noticeable was the diversity in those wearing our jersey; don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it was hoachin' with Hoops supporters of Asian/South Asian heritage, but, yeah, it was difficult not to notice some youngsters of that background sporting our colours.

It has to be acknowledged, of course, that they may not have been locals, either way, it was a joy to behold.

"Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a town surpasses, for honest mhen and bonnie lhasses"..who'd have thunk it ?

Last edited:
We took the 5 granweans down to Ayr yesterday to see the Red Arrows display. Very good it was, too.
Three of them actually live in Alloway, so it was a matter of picking' up the other two from Glasgow and heading through.

Maybe the fact that I'm telling this story says more about me than I care to admit to. Thing is, I couldn't help but notice the number of folk, both adults and kids, wearing some kind of Celtic attire. Now I am only too aware of Ayrshire's image of being overwhelmingly blue. Not yesterday it wasn't.

What was also noticeable was the diversity in those wearing our jersey; don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it was hoachin' with Hoops supporters of Asian/South Asian heritage, but, yeah, it was difficult not to notice some youngsters of that background sporting our colours.

It has to be acknowledged, of course, that they may not have been locals, either way, it was a joy to behold.

"Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a town surpasses, for honest mhen and bonnie lhasses"..who'd have thunk it ?
That`s well and good but, did you see the red arrows?? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Hoops fans would have been more noticeable because the zombies have zilch to bum about and are too embarrassed to wear their klub's colours.

I was gonna go tae that Ayr air show, but decided to take ma caravan up tae the east neuk of Fife to Elie for the weekend, wanted to see the last cricket match of the season, the ship inn Elie v the grange Stockbridge
The ship inn are the the only CC to play their games on the beach in the world.
It’s all very civilised, they have a few “unique” rules, there is a wee beer garden just outside the boundary, at the sea wall, any player hitting a 6 intae the beer garden wins their height in beer, 2 players did it on Saturday one tall batsman got 14 pints the other shorter batsman got 12 pints, Also any spectators catching a six also wins their height in beer, once the commentator made that announcement the wife dispatched me to stand at square leg, as I’m a good 6ft and at least 14 pints tall if I could catch wan🤣🤣 🍺

Was a very entertaining 4 hrs watching ma 1st ever cricket match, 30 overs a side, after 15 and 30 overs they stop for refreshments, 2 waitresses run oan with 4 pitchers o beer, everyone necks a quick pint in 5 mins, then it’s game on again,
The ship won by 47 runs on the day….lovely day oot 👍

IMG_0935.jpeg

I was gonna go tae that Ayr air show, but decided to take ma caravan up tae the east neuk of Fife to Elie for the weekend, wanted to see the last cricket match of the season, the ship inn Elie v the grange Stockbridge
It’s all very civilised, they have a few “unique” rules, there is a wee beer garden just outside the boundary, at the sea wall, any player hitting a 6 intae the beer garden wins their height in beer, 2 players did it on Saturday one tall batsman got 14 pints the other shorter batsman got 12 pints, Also any spectators catching a six also wins their height in beer, once the commentator made that announcement the wife dispatched me to stand at square leg, as I’m a good 6ft and at least 14 pints tall if I could catch wan🤣🤣 🍺

Was a very entertaining 4 hrs watching ma 1st ever cricket match, 30 overs a side, after 15 and 30 overs they stop for refreshments, 2 waitresses run oan with 4 pitchers o beer, everyone necks a quick pint in 5 mins, then it’s game on again,

View attachment 23724
Planes and cricket???? 😱🥱🥱🤣

View attachment 23724
Its on ma bucket list.....not!

Caravan crowd know how to Rock
Last weekend we took our caravan tae St Andrews, took in a bit of the walker cup golf, I’d say cricket was more interesting than golf, then took in a geology exhibition fae the Scotland royal geological society, gonna have a go at lapidary I have an invite tae the Leith Lapidary club, I have a bag full of good quality 350 million years old Ammonites that I collected a few years ago fae the Jurassic shales cliffs just south of robin hoods bay in Yorkshire

IMG_0900.jpeg

Last weekend we took our caravan tae St Andrews, took in a bit of the walker cup golf, I’d say cricket was more interesting than golf, then took in a geology exhibition fae the Scotland royal geological society, gonna have a go at lapidary I have an invite tae the Leith Lapidary club, I have a bag full of good quality 350 million years old Ammonites that I collected a few years ago fae the Jurassic shales cliffs just south of robin hoods bay in Yorkshire

View attachment 23726
Beam me up Scotty.

Hobbies, days oot and weekends away mate,
One thing the covid has taught me,…..enjoy your free time, we all stayed home for a year, some of us never made it though the pandemic, I’ve a family christening next weekend then taking the caravan tae portpatrick for September weekend

Me and the wife don’t sit home, 2-3 times a month, we just pick a place on the map and take the caravan there

View attachment 23726
Cricket n golf ,yer settin the heather on fire :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Before lockdown i used to take a few days off n head off in the motorhome down the Borders up the ayrshire coast or over to ireland ,,,,,mostly over to ireland used to be good getting away n going anywhere you wanted

Members online

Back