Would you vote to leave the SPFL for a European League if it was on the cards?

A very difficult one for me, my instinct is to say No.
We are a scottish team that should play in our national league.
Football is eating itself alive in the pursuit of cash, maybe such a move would be the only way to survive in the long term.
It would be catastrophic for the league here, what TV company would want the rights to the spfl without Celtic?
But….should that be our cross to bear when we see how other teams, managers, players and even the governing body act towards our club?
We shouldn’t need to discuss this kinda thing because if UEFA did their job right, the lge leaders of every country would be in the CL automatically instead of fighting for scraps when 4th placed teams from other leagues waltz straight in, if we had gathered that kinda money over the last decade we would be in clover financially.
My gut says No, but in all honesty, if it came to pass we probably couldn’t say no.
And of course, if you think we would finally be rid of the newco and their rabid fans think again, any offer for a lge like this would probably include that manky mob…imagine them running riot all over europe every other week…

Id need to see the set up, was proposed about 20 years ago the Atlantic league, the champions league is a farce, should be called the county’s with the biggest tv audience leagues
Aw the wee leagues like ourselves, the Dutch, the Belgians, the Nordic county’s should start their ain league for the league winners and call it the “real” champions league, block TV games of the other champions league, and play domestic games at the same time
Currently the champions league is the same 15 teams playing each other every year, with a few canon fodder incomers…….

Yes.

I don't think we'd ever be invited to a "Super League" which be dominated by foreign-owned super-rich (and often massively in debt) clubs.

However, as I've posted on here before I would be happy to play in a league with the cream of Dutch, Belgian, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish & Scottish leagues. Our B side can still play in the Scottish pyramid.

Personally I believe that after a tricky start, Scottish football would come to thrive without the likes of us and sevco. Several clubs would have a genuine chance of winning trophies and their crowds would quickly improve. The TV deal is so appalling that it wouldn't drop too much and would improve after a period of time as it became more appealing and competitive. The leagues would need to reorganise but again that would be for the betterment of the game.

If there was UEFA recognised regional European leagues, where domestic champions had a route to get promoted into (& relegated from) them, then yes. Otherwise its no better than the European Super (Greed) League proposals of last year that collapsed.
I would much rather Celtic, with other top teams in Scotland restructured everything about the game in this country to reduce the number of professional teams (2 x leagues of 16 max.), grow the pyramid system below the top division(s) making promotion/relegation automatic, ditch the joke that is the Sky deal and get an online TV product run along similar lines to Ireland and Norway, introduce strict financial fair play rules, disband the SFA/SPFL and start with a new independent organisation running football in this country, professional referees who have to declare who they support/supported, basically rip everything we currently have up and start again removing the self interest and bowling club mentality that currently prevails.

Nope, fuck that.

100 quid a ticket, diluted tourist atmosphere..etc.
The soul of our club has been ripped out too much already...a move like this would turn us into just another big americanesque sporting franchise
Nothing wrong with having they principles docco but what if we got left behind a euro league there probably wouldnt be european competitions for us to get cash from how would a club our size survive not being a part of euro league???

Celtic are too big for Scotland.
Been saying the same for many years now 26.
Still believe that there is going to be major changes within European football in the near future still imo.
Without serious competition within many of the leagues in European football still the game stands to start being played in half empty stadiums, as outside of ourselves and the scum it's already the case in Scottish football.
Still wouldn't want to break away until we have taken everything away from the scum, and that is very fast approaching also, so when we do in the near future, then even ourselves could start to get bored with winning everything so easily.
So a very big yes from me, but hopefully in the next 3 years or so, and also think the format BB stated would actually help grow Scottish football in the long run imo.

Latest posts

Back