All Over Hampden – The 1980 Scottish Cup Final Riot

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member
All Over Hampden – The 1980 Scottish Cup Final Riot...can you tell us your stories from that game? You there? On the park at the end? We'll compile for a feature on The Celtic Star later today....

All Over Hampden – The 1980 Scottish Cup Final Riot...can you tell us your stories from that game? You there? On the park at the end? We'll compile for a feature on The Celtic Star later today....

I was 7 years old sitting on the floor in front of a gigantic button press telly with my da and brothers and what I remember most was obviously the goal but right as it went in my da roared at the top of his voice out went his arms and his finger poked me in the eye , I was in agony. One of the , if not the oldest memory i have of watching the hoops is a good but painful one followed by the invasion and mounties arrival. Was insane. HH

This is what journalist Alex Cameron said in the Daily Record on the Monday after the Cup Final.

Forget, for a moment, the arguments about who started the mayhem, or how it could be prevented.
The Root Cause is Religion. And while no one would suggest that one club is solely to blame, Rangers stubbornly refuse to do their part in a modern way to start the long and difficult process of removing this horrible barrier.
This can only be kicked off when they sign Catholic players as they promised they would do after rioting in Birmingham on October 9th 1976 when the referee had to abandon a friendly game between Aston Villa and Rangers.
Rangers raised this as an issue themselves. And in doing so openly conceded that their unwritten policy of religious apartheid played a significant part in sordid crowd trouble.
The Ibrox Club Have Sidestepped Their Responsibilities And Broken A Promise. Surely They Cannot Go On Doing So.

Alex Cameron 12th May 1980

‘Here’s to you, H, ya turncoat mug,’ booze buys Sandman’s silence...

I have missed the Sandman. His obscene descriptive power is second to none. All Hail, Hail the Sandman.
Would like to know the Sandmans thoughts on the "dodgy dossier".

Hi all, new member, 1st post, be gentle with me....

I’d like to share my 1980 cup final story with you, things were different back then, even given the riot that followed there was a mutual respect, so much so that, my uncle, a 13 year old me and my 14 year old bother piled into my uncles Austin maxi, stopping on the way to pick up his Rangers supporting mate and this son, so there was the 5 of us, 3 decked out in green and white 2 in red white and blue, chattering excitedly on the way to Hampden (it was my 1st old firm game) parking up in one of the streets out side the stadium, his mate gave up a pound each for a poke of sweeties, we set off to our respective ends of the old ground, I remember it was a scorching hot day, the Celtic end was uncovered terracing, it wasn’t a particularly great game, but when the goal when in, all I remember was I couldn’t see or breathe for the enormous cloud of red ash that rose up due to the celebrations, after the final whistle my uncle grabbing us both by the scruff of the neck to stop my brother and I from going onto the pitch, the scenes that followed the cavalry charges with batons flaying, the pitch awash with thrown bottles.....the drive home was strangely subdued, with hardly a word spoken.......it’s was my 1st ......and last old firm game

I’d like to share my 1980 cup final story with you, things were different back then, even given the riot that followed there was a mutual respect, so much so that, my uncle, a 13 year old me and my 14 year old bother piled into my uncles Austin maxi, stopping on the way to pick up his Rangers supporting mate and this son, so there was the 5 of us, 3 decked out in green and white 2 in red white and blue, chattering excitedly on the way to Hampden (it was my 1st old firm game) parking up in one of the streets out side the stadium, his mate gave up a pound each for a poke of sweeties, we set off to our respective ends of the old ground, I remember it was a scorching hot day, the Celtic end was uncovered terracing, it wasn’t a particularly great game, but when the goal when in, all I remember was I couldn’t see or breathe for the enormous cloud of red ash that rose up due to the celebrations, after the final whistle my uncle grabbing us both by the scruff of the neck to stop my brother and I from going onto the pitch, the scenes that followed the cavalry charges with batons flaying, the pitch awash with thrown bottles.....the drive home was strangely subdued, with hardly a word spoken.......it’s was my 1st ......and last old firm game

Good story mate...and welcome to The Noise....I wasn't there, but I think it would have been a great experience.....So, was it that bad then...that you have never been back to a Celtic v Ragers game :unsure:

Welcome Bellshill. Glad to have you on the Noise.

Welcome mate HH

40 years later and still no alcohol allowed at football in Scotland. Yet I can have a few civilised beers and a wine and be safe. Every fan goes in the same entry and out the same exit at Wellington Stadium. It was not alcohol that caused the riot. It was hatred and it emanates from one club above all. Rangers were then and Sevco are now a disgrace to the 21st century and cannot be regarded as civilised people.

40 years later and still no alcohol allowed at football in Scotland. Yet I can have a few civilised beers and a wine and be safe. Every fan goes in the same entry and out the same exit at Wellington Stadium. It was not alcohol that caused the riot. It was hatred and it emanates from one club above all. Rangers were then and Sevco are now a disgrace to the 21st century and cannot be regarded as civilised people.
Plenty of Alcohol allowed at every football ground in Scotland, before at half time and full time if your in the expensive seats and want to pay more, there is even a pub at Celtic park were the minions can enjoy a refreshment before and after most games. However you ain't allowed a drink if your sitting watching the game in the stadium which is crazy if you ask me, the ban on joe soap bringing in a carry out of a dozen or so cans is correct imho but why cant we buy a plastic tumbler 3 quarters full with a lukewarm beer, in an mostly all seated stadium this should be feasible

Good story mate...and welcome to The Noise....I wasn't there, but I think it would have been a great experience.....So, was it that bad then...that you have never been back to a Celtic v Ragers game :unsure:
It was that bad, never seen anything like it since, was was terrifying for a sum what naive 13 year old, I felt relatively safe in the stadium, but the 1/2 mile walk back to the car was scary, isolated battles all over mount Florida/kings park, police nowhere to be seen (all still in the stadium) there’s something and the Celtic v Rangers game that pits friends against friends, neighbours against neighbours, work mates against work mates, ive been very careful of it since

I was at the game as a 20 year old. To this day I would still swear that it was the Huns who invaded Hampden.

In my opinion it was kids who ran onto the pitch at celtic end. In those days it was always the kids that went to the front. After children ran on to celebrate rangers fans, grown men, ran on to the rangers end and ran towards kids celebrating.

Needless to say this led to the men in celtic end to respond. I did go on the park but it was in a feeling of protecting the kids at front, my nephew included.

Fast forward to 2016 and these moronic hordes repeat their actions against hibs.
Proving that they are a permanent embaracement and an occasional disgrace.

I was at the game as a 20 year old. To this day I would still swear that it was the Huns who invaded Hampden.

In my opinion it was kids who ran onto the pitch at celtic end. In those days it was always the kids that went to the front. After children ran on to celebrate rangers fans, grown men, ran on to the rangers end and ran towards kids celebrating.

Needless to say this led to the men in celtic end to respond. I did go on the park but it was in a feeling of protecting the kids at front, my nephew included.

Fast forward to 2016 and these moronic hordes repeat their actions against hibs.
Proving that they are a permanent embaracement and an occasional disgrace.
Thats the way I remember it to mate.

H.H

Members online

Latest posts

Back