Apathy

Neil lennon...gtf..an arrogant little man just wantin money and lawell an arrogant man who doesn't want to pay him...its a stand off...and they don't give a fuck coz there s no fans to put them under p...lennon thinks he's bein smart the noo but it wulni be that when he s managing Auchinleck knowin we canni stand him...how many defeats it gonni take before the wee tit diz one

I admire the sentiment here lads but why do you think an article in the Star will influence them in the least? Protests lead to barriers, banners have resulted in bans, emails are ignored. They seem totally impervious to this type of approach.
I would like think I’m wrong here but...

When good men do nothing.....you know the rest...

Thanks for the reply Niall. Let me further share my thoughts with everyone.

I really think this topic is vitally important to get it out there and you have a gift for this type of thing.

In my view, if the disconnect is allowed to morph in to complete apathy we are going to lose a large percentage of Celtic Supporters.

Who will then pass things on to the next generation if this happens.

This subject is not about entitlement as you know Niall, as some would like to portray matters.

I know you can put an article together that will make people think and reflect on what is important here. I'm sure you are reaching a much wider audience than you think.

I'm hoping you can get it out there in a diplomatic and concise way that will make those who are currently not listening take note of the serious consequences of doing nothing and failing to effectively communicate with the Support.

If you feel a Q+A prior to you publishing an article will be advantageous to matters then I'm all for it. I personally think it would be a good idea as there's some smart people on here and their input could be invaluable.

Good luck Niall
If we lose a large number of supporters, they were never supporters in the first place
That's the difference between being a fan, and being a supporter, imho
Let's not confuse being unhappy with, the scarf burners, from the other side of the city
You can be a fan, or a supporter, I'll stick with being the latter
And as for who will continue the legacy of Celtic Football Club, and ensure the youngsters grow up supporting the club, that's our duty, as supporters
HH

If we lose a large number of supporters, they were never supporters in the first place
Let's not confuse being unhappy with, the scarf burners, from the other side of the city
And as for who will continue the legacy of Celtic Football Club, and ensure the youngsters grow up supporting the club, that's our duty, as supporters
HH
True but think it's more about future generations becoming fans aswell

HH
I also feel the same way, don't think we will lose supporters & those who do not renew their ST well most will be taken by those on the waiting list, well that's what the board hope to happen. Things have got to change a new broom to to speak.
I have another concern, can we now get some of the youngsters out there to come to our club as can any see a way through to the 1st team. Yes JF made it but no others this season which has been crying out for them & when they come in & do well can't seem to get another game. Even with most of 1st team out still finding ti difficult to get in & stay in when they have done well.

I also feel the same way, don't think we will lose supporters & those who do not renew their ST well most will be taken by those on the waiting list, well that's what the board hope to happen. Things have got to change a new broom to to speak.
I have another concern, can we now get some of the youngsters out there to come to our club as can any see a way through to the 1st team. Yes JF made it but no others this season which has been crying out for them & when they come in & do well can't seem to get another game. Even with most of 1st team out still finding ti difficult to get in & stay in when they have done well.
Martin O'Neill was a great 'Man Manager'
He kept everything ticking over, and we need another guy who recognizes talent as well as when to blood the young guns in
I agree that it will be hard to attrcat young players given what has happened this season, with them being brought up to train with the first team, then sit on their arses when they could have been giving some minutes
The lack of a reserve league now, hurts both clubs and the chances for them to progress to the next level
See we lost a young keeper today to another English team, can't say I blame them for not wanting their time wasted
HH

Thanks for the reply Niall. Let me further share my thoughts with everyone.

I really think this topic is vitally important to get it out there and you have a gift for this type of thing.

In my view, if the disconnect is allowed to morph in to complete apathy we are going to lose a large percentage of Celtic Supporters.

Who will then pass things on to the next generation if this happens.

This subject is not about entitlement as you know Niall, as some would like to portray matters.

I know you can put an article together that will make people think and reflect on what is important here. I'm sure you are reaching a much wider audience than you think.

I'm hoping you can get it out there in a diplomatic and concise way that will make those who are currently not listening take note of the serious consequences of doing nothing and failing to effectively communicate with the Support.

If you feel a Q+A prior to you publishing an article will be advantageous to matters then I'm all for it. I personally think it would be a good idea as there's some smart people on here and their input could be invaluable.

Good luck Niall
Knowing what to do with the current mgt team is a problem that falls directly at the door of the CEO, well that's a real problem as Mr lawwell is currently working his notice. The contributions of the majority of people who post on this site are mainly concerned with the future of the club we all love and support, I really hope that at some point in the future we find a leader who will marry the two sides of the club, No1 a team on the pitch that we enjoy watching and one who brings success and No2 a financially stable club that finds the right balance between profit and our history as a club built on charitable works

There's a theme that's being echoed in just about every Celtic Forum and that is one of APATHY.

The anger is still palpable but in many cases apathy is beginning to take the place of anger.

We are in very dangerous territory as a Club. The status quo is not acceptable. The Support needs to believe things are going to change and change very soon for the better.

The sound bites from Neil Lennon that he is looking at a summer rebuild is the talk of fantasy. He simply has to be told his time has come and gone.

The longer we continue in the same vein the worse it's going to get.

This is not a Support with a sense of entitlement your dealing with Mr Desmond.

This is a people with a cause and you need to understand that before it's too late.

PS I think Niall could say this better if he chooses to run with this topic.
Apathy may be the headline, but the real emotion is anger, the ceo would rather have the old firm, personally I don't give a toss about the huns as I think that they are a blight on both Scottish football and Scottish society in general and a world where they don't exist would be a better place.

This article should be sent to the Celtic Board

From The Atlantic:

Celtic failed to act and now they’re in freefall. Anger is becoming apathy

By Kieran Devlin – https://theathletic.co.uk/2402850/2021/02/23/celtic-football-soccer/

The biggest danger for those in charge of Celtic is when rage turns into indifference.

When a loss to the bottom-placed team in the league is greeted by a detached shrug, a club know they are in trouble.

Celtic officials can dismiss the anger as a vocal minority on social media if they want, but money talks. Apathy is what leads to season tickets not being renewed and merchandise not being bought. We are fast approaching that point.

Before Sunday’s 1-0 defeat to Ross County, Neil Lennon described this season as “not the unmitigated disaster that everyone makes it out to be”. What does he think now?

Lennon has previously described uninspiring narrow wins as “outstanding”. He has explained away dropped points as simply missing a bit of quality in the final third or switching off at a set piece. He may be attempting to protect his job or the players, but the consequence of the Celtic manager’s comments is that standards across the club are lowering.

Despite Lennon’s insistence to the contrary, this season has been an unmitigated disaster. Just look at Celtic’s results and performances in every competition they have played in. It looks likely they’ll be finishing behind Rangers with a points gap not seen since 1999-2000 — or possibly even further back into the bleak quagmire of the 1990s.

The fact this was supposed to be Celtic’s 10-in-a-row season twists a finger into the wound. It is also a disaster for how it has exposed the disconnect between the fanbase and club officials.

The landscape of Scottish football has transformed since Lennon first took charge of the club nearly 11 years ago. The importance of analytics, the acceptance of the 24/7 athlete, philosophically driven tactical projects — these were ideas once limited to the periphery in Scotland. However, they are now foregrounded and respected by most in the industry.

Celtic themselves reaped the benefits of modernisation under Brendan Rodgers. But they are clearly regressing, and not just in their on-field sense of identity. Other department failures include sport science — given the players’ evidently poor fitness — and recruitment — given the nonsensical and expensive signings such as Shane Duffy’s costly loan. This regression is the inverse to other Premiership teams, who are improving as a result of integrating these ideas into their make-up.

There is obviously what Steven Gerrard and Michael Beale are doing with Rangers, but also what David Martindale is doing with Livingston. What Jack Ross is doing with Hibernian. What Jim Goodwin is doing with St Mirren. What Callum Davidson is doing with St Johnstone. What Steve Clarke is doing with the national team.

These are managers with an intellectual curiosity for the modern game. They have built teams with defined Plan As, using players who understand their roles within these systems and emotionally buy into them. They’re tactically flexible in adjusting to the opposition and ever-changing in-game scenarios. They have direction. They have depth. They have purpose.

Celtic still have the most resources of any team in Scotland, by many multiples over every team except Rangers. They also still have in place the infrastructure introduced by Rodgers and Ronny Deila before him — although it seems they are not currently utilised to their full potential.

Worryingly, the talent gap their transfer, wage and infrastructure budget affords them is shrinking. When Celtic drew consecutive games against Livingston last month and were defeated at home to St Mirren, it was striking that the opposition were not only better-organised than Celtic, but also matching them for quality in and out of possession. Those sides were the equals of players on 10-times their salary because their individual talent was maximised by solid coaching on the training ground. Their collective level improved thanks to intelligent game preparation and in-game management.

The concept that “best players = best team in the league” to which the club seem to adhere is antiquated. It reeks of complacency, even arrogance, in an environment where the importance of marginal gains is increasingly recognised.

Big clubs do not rest on their laurels or point to past glories as the current season crumbles. They do not accept mediocrity. Bayern Munich sacked Niko Kovac when they were only four points behind leaders Borussia Monchengladbach in last season’s Bundesliga, a few months after he had won the league and cup double. Damning results and, more importantly, performances suggested their domestic dominance was under threat, so they acted swiftly to address the issue. Under new man Hansi Flick, they won the title by 13 points and lifted the Champions League trophy.

Juventus sacked Maurizio Sarri after one season despite winning the league because they were embarrassed in Europe by Lyon and defeated in the Coppa Italia final by Napoli, but also because performances were not of the standard expected. Chelsea sacked club legend Frank Lampard this season despite him finishing fourth in the previous campaign.

These sackings might seem harsh, and there’s no guarantee that change will prove the better option. Although Bayern have achieved immense success under Flick, and Thomas Tuchel is working out well for Chelsea so far, Juventus are struggling under Andrea Pirlo and have little chance of winning their 10th league title in a row. But sanctioning these decisions is how big clubs behave in order to remain big clubs. It is the opposite of the complacent arrogance that Celtic have displayed this season.

Celtic have not behaved like a big club this season. Not only have they allowed mediocrity to seep in, they’ve actively enabled it with excuses around COVID-19 outbreaks and wantaway players, as well as constant allusions to prior success as if that has any bearing on the ongoing situation. It is much harder to dispel mediocrity than to permit it.

This season was effectively over by the close of the November international break. The opportunity to salvage it lay in taking action in the 34-day window between the limp 2-0 defeat to Rangers in October and the tepid 2-2 draw at Easter Road in November. That option wasn’t taken, and Celtic continued their freefall as a consequence.

Continued inaction for the rest of the season makes progress in Europe and a sustained title challenge next season increasingly difficult. The lower standards fall at the club, the harder it is to course-correct the decline.

Chairman Ian Bankier wrote in his statement to fans last week: “All decisions we take will be taken calmly and rationally. We will not make hasty decisions that we might regret.”

But that decision was already made in the autumn. What’s happening now is a formality, the self-destructive delaying of the inevitable. The scale of that self-destruction, and the apathy it generates, is snowballing.

This article should be sent to the Celtic Board

From The Atlantic:

Celtic failed to act and now they’re in freefall. Anger is becoming apathy

By Kieran Devlin – https://theathletic.co.uk/2402850/2021/02/23/celtic-football-soccer/

The biggest danger for those in charge of Celtic is when rage turns into indifference.

When a loss to the bottom-placed team in the league is greeted by a detached shrug, a club know they are in trouble.

Celtic officials can dismiss the anger as a vocal minority on social media if they want, but money talks. Apathy is what leads to season tickets not being renewed and merchandise not being bought. We are fast approaching that point.

Before Sunday’s 1-0 defeat to Ross County, Neil Lennon described this season as “not the unmitigated disaster that everyone makes it out to be”. What does he think now?

Lennon has previously described uninspiring narrow wins as “outstanding”. He has explained away dropped points as simply missing a bit of quality in the final third or switching off at a set piece. He may be attempting to protect his job or the players, but the consequence of the Celtic manager’s comments is that standards across the club are lowering.

Despite Lennon’s insistence to the contrary, this season has been an unmitigated disaster. Just look at Celtic’s results and performances in every competition they have played in. It looks likely they’ll be finishing behind Rangers with a points gap not seen since 1999-2000 — or possibly even further back into the bleak quagmire of the 1990s.

The fact this was supposed to be Celtic’s 10-in-a-row season twists a finger into the wound. It is also a disaster for how it has exposed the disconnect between the fanbase and club officials.

The landscape of Scottish football has transformed since Lennon first took charge of the club nearly 11 years ago. The importance of analytics, the acceptance of the 24/7 athlete, philosophically driven tactical projects — these were ideas once limited to the periphery in Scotland. However, they are now foregrounded and respected by most in the industry.

Celtic themselves reaped the benefits of modernisation under Brendan Rodgers. But they are clearly regressing, and not just in their on-field sense of identity. Other department failures include sport science — given the players’ evidently poor fitness — and recruitment — given the nonsensical and expensive signings such as Shane Duffy’s costly loan. This regression is the inverse to other Premiership teams, who are improving as a result of integrating these ideas into their make-up.

There is obviously what Steven Gerrard and Michael Beale are doing with Rangers, but also what David Martindale is doing with Livingston. What Jack Ross is doing with Hibernian. What Jim Goodwin is doing with St Mirren. What Callum Davidson is doing with St Johnstone. What Steve Clarke is doing with the national team.

These are managers with an intellectual curiosity for the modern game. They have built teams with defined Plan As, using players who understand their roles within these systems and emotionally buy into them. They’re tactically flexible in adjusting to the opposition and ever-changing in-game scenarios. They have direction. They have depth. They have purpose.

Celtic still have the most resources of any team in Scotland, by many multiples over every team except Rangers. They also still have in place the infrastructure introduced by Rodgers and Ronny Deila before him — although it seems they are not currently utilised to their full potential.

Worryingly, the talent gap their transfer, wage and infrastructure budget affords them is shrinking. When Celtic drew consecutive games against Livingston last month and were defeated at home to St Mirren, it was striking that the opposition were not only better-organised than Celtic, but also matching them for quality in and out of possession. Those sides were the equals of players on 10-times their salary because their individual talent was maximised by solid coaching on the training ground. Their collective level improved thanks to intelligent game preparation and in-game management.

The concept that “best players = best team in the league” to which the club seem to adhere is antiquated. It reeks of complacency, even arrogance, in an environment where the importance of marginal gains is increasingly recognised.

Big clubs do not rest on their laurels or point to past glories as the current season crumbles. They do not accept mediocrity. Bayern Munich sacked Niko Kovac when they were only four points behind leaders Borussia Monchengladbach in last season’s Bundesliga, a few months after he had won the league and cup double. Damning results and, more importantly, performances suggested their domestic dominance was under threat, so they acted swiftly to address the issue. Under new man Hansi Flick, they won the title by 13 points and lifted the Champions League trophy.

Juventus sacked Maurizio Sarri after one season despite winning the league because they were embarrassed in Europe by Lyon and defeated in the Coppa Italia final by Napoli, but also because performances were not of the standard expected. Chelsea sacked club legend Frank Lampard this season despite him finishing fourth in the previous campaign.

These sackings might seem harsh, and there’s no guarantee that change will prove the better option. Although Bayern have achieved immense success under Flick, and Thomas Tuchel is working out well for Chelsea so far, Juventus are struggling under Andrea Pirlo and have little chance of winning their 10th league title in a row. But sanctioning these decisions is how big clubs behave in order to remain big clubs. It is the opposite of the complacent arrogance that Celtic have displayed this season.

Celtic have not behaved like a big club this season. Not only have they allowed mediocrity to seep in, they’ve actively enabled it with excuses around COVID-19 outbreaks and wantaway players, as well as constant allusions to prior success as if that has any bearing on the ongoing situation. It is much harder to dispel mediocrity than to permit it.

This season was effectively over by the close of the November international break. The opportunity to salvage it lay in taking action in the 34-day window between the limp 2-0 defeat to Rangers in October and the tepid 2-2 draw at Easter Road in November. That option wasn’t taken, and Celtic continued their freefall as a consequence.

Continued inaction for the rest of the season makes progress in Europe and a sustained title challenge next season increasingly difficult. The lower standards fall at the club, the harder it is to course-correct the decline.

Chairman Ian Bankier wrote in his statement to fans last week: “All decisions we take will be taken calmly and rationally. We will not make hasty decisions that we might regret.”

But that decision was already made in the autumn. What’s happening now is a formality, the self-destructive delaying of the inevitable. The scale of that self-destruction, and the apathy it generates, is snowballing.
I dont see any teams on this list who dont get Sky tv bungs

Maybe thats an important thing to include.

Who is available.
How much can you give him spend?

Will he be better than lenny in Scotland?

none of teams on the above letter have the issues we have.

None

But they all get monster influx of cash that dwarfs Celtic income even with good CL run and thats just from Sky tv bit for their domestic football

There's a theme that's being echoed in just about every Celtic Forum and that is one of APATHY.

The anger is still palpable but in many cases apathy is beginning to take the place of anger.

We are in very dangerous territory as a Club. The status quo is not acceptable. The Support needs to believe things are going to change and change very soon for the better.

The sound bites from Neil Lennon that he is looking at a summer rebuild is the talk of fantasy. He simply has to be told his time has come and gone.

The longer we continue in the same vein the worse it's going to get.

This is not a Support with a sense of entitlement your dealing with Mr Desmond.

This is a people with a cause and you need to understand that before it's too late.

PS I think Niall could say this better if he chooses to run with this topic.
Very well put. There seems to be a feeling of apathy, hopelessness, even bewilderment, at the lack of decisive action from the club. I'm maybe playing mind games with myself, but I just hope it's a sign that when change comes, it will be massive. I feel we get one chance at this, and if it fails we are in the wilderness for a few years. Yes, that's how important it is to get this right.

Just for domestic German football Batern get more from sky than we get for cl and treble and full season book sell out

I can see why they can afford to sack their manager and replace in seconds with another top coach.

Oh and Juventus got 100M from their tv rights alone

But both got less than every team in EPL from tv deals all got over 100M from tv alone just for epl games

Wow

Celtic I think got 5 million

But we somehow can afford to get a top grade coach and staff based on the broken market?

defensive coaching alone is much easier than all out attack and I doubt very much any of the managers in scotland would be classed as upgrade on lennon.

So the article for me does highlight the huge gulf in fans expectations based on comparisons with other clubs in totally different criteria

lenny has proven himself to be inept this season in many ways

But his replacement needs to be better

And I dont fancy the Livingston or Ross County coach as Celtic manager

Very well put. There seems to be a feeling of apathy, hopelessness, even bewilderment, at the lack of decisive action from the club. I'm maybe playing mind games with myself, but I just hope it's a sign that when change comes, it will be massive. I feel we get one chance at this, and if it fails we are in the wilderness for a few years. Yes, that's how important it is to get this right.
Massive change in what way?

I think you’re absolutely right.....massive positive change is needed and it has to be in place prior to the new season.....or it doesn’t bare thinking about...

I think you’re absolutely right.....massive positive change is needed and it has to be in place prior to the new season.....or it doesn’t bare thinking about...
You wanting Livingston coach?

he got good right up in your article

We could set up 631 every game

would be a massive change

I dont see any teams on this list who dont get Sky tv bungs

Maybe thats an important thing to include.

Who is available.
How much can you give him spend?

Will he be better than lenny in Scotland?

none of teams on the above letter have the issues we have.

None

But they all get monster influx of cash that dwarfs Celtic income even with good CL run and thats just from Sky tv bit for their domestic football

So, TET , are you advocating we do nothing to attempt to alter the dismal performances of the coach/team ?

Yes , those teams mentioned do get obscene monies from TV but we didn't have those monies last season or the season before or the season before ....

We were in a position of complete dominance under Brendan Rodgers . No one can deny that we have regressed spectacularly under Neil Lennon .
Many supporters felt ( for whatever reason ) that appointing Neil Lennon permanently after the Scottish Cup win was a backwards step . No one denied that Lennon had stepped in to help at a crucial time and was , rightly , thanked for that . But few I would suggest thought that he was a better coach than Rodgers or that he would improve the team .

We won the league comfortably last year - when Sevco combusted after the Winter break . Ironically we have done the same this year . But even if we hadn't - would we have won the league ? Sevco have improved their consistency levels to that which we had previously . This is down , I would suggest , to their coaching ( by whoever does it - not Stevie G ! )

We know that we cant compete for player wages or coaches with the ''Big Leagues '' - just in salary for a CEO !
Where is the vision that would get us a coach who at least knows the basics of the modern game ? Lennon has been out thought on so many occasions by coaches of 'inferior' teams in his second tenure that we now have the situation where we have lost twice to , what was , the bottom team in the division .
Many Celtic coaches have been issued with their P45s for less !

So change is needed - but within our reduced budget . Although , as I have mentioned on another thread , if Sevco can have their directors bail out their club with no comment on Financial Fair Play from the SFA , why can't our billionaire DD add a little to the pot and help US out ?

HH

Members online

Latest posts

Back