Atmosphere

There ye go Bri, Ian St John and Arthur Montford commentating.
Celtic could have scored 4 or 5 in the second half o that game. Some great saves fae the Madrid keeper. Johnny Doyle's goal is great too.
Lennox in the team too- 13 years after Lisbon. What a career.
Tragic too when ye think of Doyle and Cunningham who would be lost to tragic accidents in the not too distant future.
Haha I'd forgot Lennox played, I have now got a similar saucer sized bald spot. 🤣

Great thread, great memories all. Having yet to attend a Celtic match, I have none to offer -- the closest I can come to "atmosphere" watching Celtic is my neighbour thinking I was being murdered and calling the police after Olivier Ntcham scored against Nazio in Rome . . .

Great vid, vs Real Madrid hadn’t seen that in years, one interesting observation......the advertising hoarding at the Celtic end at the corner with the jungle.....Murray International Metals....was he putting money into our coffers before he bought the huns? By feck we sure dodged a bullet there 🤣🤣

Got a framed photo, ( black and white ), of that goal. For many of us that was the start of the journey with, of course, the squad which eventually gave the club its greatest achievement in Lisbon . It's another one of those questions highlighting how privileged I feel to be able to say I'm a Celtic supporter. Just too many wonderful moments. Albert Kidd anyone ? I simply can't fill a post with a lifetime of joy. Even walking to my seat in Paradise almost feels spiritual. Thanks for the question STG. A wonderful diversion from some of the depressing stuff we've been talking about recently. HH
Was in the schoolboys enclosure that day 14 years old big Billy does the business,start of it all, that many memories could yabber on all about it all night apart from Lisbon this auld codger ,one of my best memories has got to be semifinal of European Cup against Leeds 1970 2-1 what a game and atmosphere over 134 thousand that night at Hampden think it was record attendance think Leeds were going for a treble themselves fa cup Chelsea, beat in a reply at Old Trafford (watch that match on you tube bloodbath some game as well ,they were the days all blood and thunder no prisoners taken was on bbc live a reply midweek Arsenal won the league that year Leeds runners up and the big yin European Cup
Back to the game I was in the middle of the Celtic end that night lost my shirt one shoe freezing cold night, who cares we were going to Milan
At the time there was a English sports reporter name Desmond Hackett before the 1st leg he said he would eat his hat (Trilby) that was his trademark! was that confident of the Leeds doing the Tic, they had some great players then to name a few Bremner, Lorimer,Glasgow Bhoy Eddie Gray,Jack Charlton, Norman(bites your legs )Hunter, Terry Cooper, Absolutely roasted by wee Jinky ,England’s number 1
Left back at the time admitted he was completely shattered by the greatest ever player of our club , ran him ragged and said when he retired just couldn’t handle Jinky oh

Was in the schoolboys enclosure that day 14 years old big Billy does the business,start of it all, that many memories could yabber on all about it all night apart from Lisbon this auld codger ,one of my best memories has got to be semifinal of European Cup against Leeds 1970 2-1 what a game and atmosphere over 134 thousand that night at Hampden think it was record attendance think Leeds were going for a treble themselves fa cup Chelsea, beat in a reply at Old Trafford (watch that match on you tube bloodbath some game as well ,they were the days all blood and thunder no prisoners taken was on bbc live a reply midweek Arsenal won the league that year Leeds runners up and the big yin European Cup
Back to the game I was in the middle of the Celtic end that night lost my shirt one shoe freezing cold night, who cares we were going to Milan
At the time there was a English sports reporter name Desmond Hackett before the 1st leg he said he would eat his hat (Trilby) that was his trademark! was that confident of the Leeds doing the Tic, they had some great players then to name a few Bremner, Lorimer,Glasgow Bhoy Eddie Gray,Jack Charlton, Norman(bites your legs )Hunter, Terry Cooper, Absolutely roasted by wee Jinky ,England’s number 1
Left back at the time admitted he was completely shattered by the greatest ever player of our club , ran him ragged and said when he retired just couldn’t handle Jinky oh
I can relate to everything you say Chubbstar51. I was directly behind the goal when Billy rose above everyone to score that winning goal. As for the Leeds semi, well, a memory to cherish without doubt. I also clearly remember Desmond Hackett too. Back in the day, the word "hackett" was something of a euphemism when describing another person who was maybe what we might say was a tad unattractive . Glasgow being the cultural centre of the universe, the word Hackett was replaced with Desmond. If a guy or girl wasn't exactly pleasing on the eye as far as the looks department went, he or she was considered to be "Desmond" Sorry, that's what happens when we don't have a new manager tae talk about. Ah'll away and talk to the missus.

I’ve just read through all the comments there and realised how lucky you all were to get to all those games and the great memories you have. As many of you know my husband Pat was at all the games and stood in the Jungle. He would come and meet me at George Square 🤫 on a Saturday night with his scarf still round his neck and often the worse of wear. My regret is that I didn’t get to the matches with him but in those days late 60’s and early 70’s women didn’t go much and especially no to the jungle. I’m sure many of you older ones paths would have crossed with his.
Anyway in the late 70’s I managed to get to a game with him it was Celtic v Kilmarnock on a very very cold day and where we sat that day was on a bench with the wind howling through the place. I was chittering but managed to stay till the end and to be honest I can’t remember the score.
I was supposed to go to the St Mirren game on 7 March last year (our last game of the season) due to the Coronavirus outbreak just arriving here and with a severe lung condition I thought I better not take the chance. We won 5-0 I think it was and my brother phoned me later to say it was a great game.

so the best atmosphere for me was watching the 1967 European Cup at home with my mum and dad and three brothers I was aged 17. It was a grey picture but that didn’t matter we were glued and must say it was quiet when inter got their penalty, but euphoria once we equalised and then it was nail biting edge of our seats till Celtic scored the winning goal. A day and atmosphere that I will never forget. We danced in the streets that night and we were all joyous (and just to add no a fight in sight) it was a real celebration. My brothers all went to Celtic Park for the Cup coming to Glasgow we were all so proud.

Just for those who don’t know Pat (my husband) died of young persons Alzheimer’s at the age of 61 in 2011 but we have a brick with his name on it in the North Stand. And we have a paving stone there as well.

after Covid restrictions my bucket list trip to Celtic park with my granddaughter will be arranged as soon as it’s safe to do. HH 🍀🍀

Rangers 2 Celtic 4. Dundee United won the league that day but what a comeback that was. We were in the enclosure and all got split up due to the bedlam of those 4 second half goals.
Celtic 5 Sporting Lisbon 0. I will remember the mayhem of Tom McAdams goal just before half time, to go 3 up, forever.
And Seville. The whole day of the game and watching Celtic take the field in a European final. Boyhood dream come true... almost.

Rangers 2 Celtic 4. Dundee United won the league that day but what a comeback that was. We were in the enclosure and all got split up due to the bedlam of those 4 second half goals.
Celtic 5 Sporting Lisbon 0. I will remember the mayhem of Tom McAdams goal just before half time, to go 3 up, forever.
And Seville. The whole day of the game and watching Celtic take the field in a European final. Boyhood dream come true... almost.
Watched the Seville final again this morning ,cany believe how old it looks now ..Henrik was different class man ,never see a striker like that again at Celtic,a one off

Watched the Seville final again this morning ,cany believe how old it looks now ..Henrik was different class man ,never see a striker like that again at Celtic,a one off
So true, he was world class and gave us his best years. Was really glad for him that he won the CL with Barcelona, a game he turned when he came on as a sub.
I was lucky enough to be at the game in Seville, it was an incredible day to be a Celtic supporter made you proud but I have never watched the match again even though I have it on dvd. Just can't bring myself to, it was tough to get that close and not win. Even though Porto were probably the best team in Europe at that time.

So true, he was world class and gave us his best years. Was really glad for him that he won the CL with Barcelona, a game he turned when he came on as a sub.
I was lucky enough to be at the game in Seville, it was an incredible day to be a Celtic supporter made you proud but I have never watched the match again even though I have it on dvd. Just can't bring myself to, it was tough to get that close and not win. Even though Porto were probably the best team in Europe at that time.
They were in a class of their own alright with the football and without it the cheating ....

I have to say everywhere I travelled to watch my beloved Glasgow Celtic I felt the atmosphere. ..loved being in Seville and experiencing what my Dad did in Milan in 70 and his Dad in Lisbon 67 .....3 European finals in one lifetime for me and for many others on the noise I am sure ...But i have to say I felt the same when I travelled anywhere the atmosphere was always in my head. ..of course there are special memories and so many have been called out on this thread . ..I am just so delighted that I attended most ...the beauty is we all know there is more to come ....great thread STG. Hail Hail 🍀

Members online

Latest posts

Back