Buy a pint for . . .

Here's a good one for you about the type of person John Clark is
I met John at Celtic Park when I was back in 2001, he comes walking through the door with a bag full of Celtic strips
We shake hands and he says "Come with me"
We go into the trophy room and I ask if could get a photo
"Aye sure"
I stand with my hands behind my back, beside him
He says "Come on, get over here" and puts his arm round my shoulder
I still have that photo of a memorable day
Two weeks later, my cousin (a girl) and I walk into the Frontier hotel bar Mickey Gilley's (the hotel was imploded a few years later but that's nothing to do with me, or Celtic fans, taking over Vegas)
As we walk in, someone I knew calls me over
I'd like you to meet..."John stops him with "Hey, I met you at Celtic Park a couple of weeks ago"
I said "That's right, how are you John"
My cousin is there so I say "This is John Clark, one of the Lisbon Lions"
He says "Hello " and shakes her hand
My cousin(not into football, but along for the trip) says "What do you do for Celtic ?"
John, winks at me "I do the laundry hen, I wash all the strips"
I told her later, about who he was and what he had been a part of, she laughed and said "Oh WOW, What a great man he is"
Memorable trip
HH

I am sitting in a cafe waiting to meet with some engineers to talk about documentation (such is my life -- afternoon meetings in nearby labs) when I started thinking about who at Celtic, present and past, I wouldn't mind walking through the door right now and allowing me to buy them a coffee and a bagel (or whatever).

But more common, how about making this cafe a pub and buying the player a pint?

So, to add a slight twist to this exercise, let's go with three different categories:

- Present Celts

- Past Celts

- Lisbon Lions

Me? Here are the beneficiaries of my largesse . . . .

Current Celtic Player: Ryan Christie. Jeremie Frimpong is not old enough to drink, but the guy who doesn't stop for 90 minutes deserves a pint. At least.

Past Celtic Player: Henrik Larsson or James McGrory (toss-up). It's not often you get to buy a pint for a king, and Jimmy deserves one because McGrory of Celtic DOES sound better than McGrory of Arsenal.

Lisbon Lion: Bertie Auld. I'd love to talk to Big Jock about how he did it, but I bet Bertie has the best stories from '67.

And your picks? Who would you buy pints for, past and present?
McStay

He was probably the most iconic player for me in my youth and his gentle humble demeanour off park coupled with his intense passion and ability on it- is everything I think Celtic represents in my heart.

History of club has many men like Jimmy Mcgrory of similar temperament off park, but on park their passion for game is immense coupled with real talent drive and determination.

My picks would be
Present: Neil Lennon
Past: Frank McAvennie
Lion: Billy McNeill
I would love to hear Frank McAvennies version of the pirate sunken treasure and why he had £500,000 in a briefcase when en route to Holland.
An English Page 3 girl sold her story to the Sun...she said Frank ran about London with an attaché case full of cocaine. When asked for comment he said, I got to tell ya, I don't know what an attaché case is!!!

McNeill retired as a player in 1975, having made a club record 822[note 1] appearances for Celtic and never being substituted.[ from wikipedia,would love to have had a pint with him,
supported Celtic through the shit years,until the glory years,there was one constant, Billy McNeill hail Cesar!
Well md, I can tell ye,that I met big Billy in Vegas in 2001/2002. He spent one night drinkin with myself and a few friends and to tell the truth, I can't remember whether he was actually drinkin or not. He was good craic and showed a genuine interest in where we were from and what we worked at. An absolute gentleman. I also met and had the craic with Bertie and Tommy gemmill, John Clark and Jim Craig. The one memory i have from the lions, is how approachable they all were and really down to Earth.

Members online

Latest posts

Back