Buy a pint for . . .

I am sitting in a cafe waiting to meet with some engineers to talk about documentation (such is my life -- afternoon meetings in nearby labs) when I started thinking about who at Celtic, present and past, I wouldn't mind walking through the door right now and allowing me to buy them a coffee and a bagel (or whatever).

But more common, how about making this cafe a pub and buying the player a pint?

So, to add a slight twist to this exercise, let's go with three different categories:

- Present Celts

- Past Celts

- Lisbon Lions

Me? Here are the beneficiaries of my largesse . . . .

Current Celtic Player: Ryan Christie. Jeremie Frimpong is not old enough to drink, but the guy who doesn't stop for 90 minutes deserves a pint. At least.

Past Celtic Player: Henrik Larsson or James McGrory (toss-up). It's not often you get to buy a pint for a king, and Jimmy deserves one because McGrory of Celtic DOES sound better than McGrory of Arsenal.

Lisbon Lion: Bertie Auld. I'd love to talk to Big Jock about how he did it, but I bet Bertie has the best stories from '67.

And your picks? Who would you buy pints for, past and present?
interesting question with many possible answers, but since I gotta pick here goes
Present..... Broony. Who else.
Past...... Paulo Di Canio. Probably wine rather than beer and would ask what he would have been if not a footballer. Dictator probably.
Lisbon Lion....... Bobby Lennox. Had always been my favourite Celt. Always will be.

Well md, I can tell ye,that I met big Billy in Vegas in 2001/2002. He spent one night drinkin with myself and a few friends and to tell the truth, I can't remember whether he was actually drinkin or not. He was good craic and showed a genuine interest in where we were from and what we worked at. An absolute gentleman. I also met and had the craic with Bertie and Tommy gemmill, John Clark and Jim Craig. The one memory i have from the lions, is how approachable they all were and really down to Earth.
Bertie cracks me up man, a funny guy.
He did an interview with Des Clarke for Celtic TV a few years ago that is well worth watching and a good laugh too.
Hail Hail Bertie Auld, Lisbon Lion and Celtic Legend. Lang may your lumb reek Bertie

Last edited:
I enjoyed this video thought id share it incase its of interest to others

Paul McStay was a sublime passer of the ball, he was a great reader of the game he had already assessed his options & played the pass before the opposition midfield realised he had the

Centenary season New Year game against The Real Ramgers, his pass the Chris Morris for Maccas Goal. He also had a ferocious shot on him, scored a few against the Real Huns from our side the box, he scored an absolute screamer for Scotland against Iceland skelpt it from 40yds.

🍀HH🍀

I've drank with Mike Galloway but I was blocked at the time. Friends and family drank with the Ireland team in Boston in the 90s; Big Packie and Roy Keane. Packie an absolute gentleman by all accounts and Roy just liked a quiet, no hassle pint or two of stout.

Members online

Latest posts

Back