Carl Starfelt and the recent criticism he has received...

Fair and balanced article Niall, however I don’t think there is any question that he has to toughen up. It is clear teams are targeting him with, let’s say, robust challenges. Maybe he needs to get his defence in first.
As to his technical ability, the boy can pass the ball but has to get his brain in gear, the pass astray against St Johnstone was abysmal.
At the end of the day though Ange knows better than me and the fact is we are watching exciting, “ heart attack” football that I’m loving. So if he is it then so be it. I do prefer Welsh.
best
HH

Fair and balanced article Niall, however I don’t think there is any question that he has to toughen up. It is clear teams are targeting him with, let’s say, robust challenges. Maybe he needs to get his defence in first.
As to his technical ability, the boy can pass the ball but has to get his brain in gear, the pass astray against St Johnstone was abysmal.
At the end of the day though Ange knows better than me and the fact is we are watching exciting, “ heart attack” football that I’m loving. So if he is it then so be it. I do prefer Welsh.
best
HH
I like Welsh too. He has a bit to go but he's serving a good apprenticeship. I'm not sure Starfelt lacks the minerals, I think the lack of protection from our legendary officials frustrates him. He's right, the interpretation of the rules are different in Scotland but he needs to find a way of getting on with it. Good point re getting the retaliation in first, maybe that's the way to play it.

I think he's a good player who plays the ball out of defence well enough..good passing, occasional brain fart but on the whole decent enough.....I like many remember those Celtic defensive stalwarts such as , mark McNally, Derek Whyte, lex bailie et al.....even established favourite names like Tony Mowbray, Mick McCarthy and Bobo had their moments and cost us dearly in many games.... Starfish is by no means any worse than the aforementioned and deserves a season before he can be judged..IMO

Every player has a mistake in him but when it's a defender that makes it it can often end in a goal for the opposition so it's going to be remembered more than say a midfielder or forward.Carl took an elbow to the nose I'm sure it was broken the referee was looking at it and didn't do his job I think that would do anyones nut in instead of getting on cars case the referee should have explained his decision not to take action against the ross co player but then referees don't explain thier decisions to anyone. I like Carl I think he's a good defender along side CCV in the league cup final the Stephen craigan went way over the top with his criticism apart from Nisbet turning him twice that happens to the top defenders it was great foot work by Nisbet but sometimes the guy commentating tend to focus on a player and give him a good roasting I think this game had a fair dose of this for Carl .I think everyone should give Carl thier full backing thier to many hacks out thier only to willing to run our players and club and fans in to the ground it's just cars turn next week it'll be another celtic player and then another one and another.

Every player has a mistake in him but when it's a defender that makes it it can often end in a goal for the opposition so it's going to be remembered more than say a midfielder or forward.Carl took an elbow to the nose I'm sure it was broken the referee was looking at it and didn't do his job I think that would do anyones nut in instead of getting on cars case the referee should have explained his decision not to take action against the ross co player but then referees don't explain thier decisions to anyone. I like Carl I think he's a good defender along side CCV in the league cup final the Stephen craigan went way over the top with his criticism apart from Nisbet turning him twice that happens to the top defenders it was great foot work by Nisbet but sometimes the guy commentating tend to focus on a player and give him a good roasting I think this game had a fair dose of this for Carl .I think everyone should give Carl thier full backing thier to many hacks out thier only to willing to run our players and club and fans in to the ground it's just cars turn next week it'll be another celtic player and then another one and another.
👏👏👏 HH to that

It was an easy thing for oor wurld cless medja find a weak link in the Celtic team
It was defence it was Starfelt we had a terrible defence every game we play the commentators hark on about the Celtic defence even the bit they’re the best defence in the league but canny defend set pieces and Carl Starfelt fell into that category for them he was the weakest link and by Donald they went after him. To be fair he did make mistakes but gradually he got better really solid then injury hit him and he’s now back making mistakes but still playing well but still the easy target as afterall he’s the only player who is making mistakes no other player gets the abuse that Starfelt gets. From the Medja and our own fans. But Ange watches these guys training day in day out and picks his strongest 10 players and obviously puts Starfelt in for the Abuse he gets.
Ange is doing a great job with more recruits in soon a chance to drill and work on Angeball he still needs time to get the system he wants and there will be players leaving and Board willing players coming in
Is he the best we’ve got imo Yes with Welsh just behind him but Ange picks the best 11 we have, so in Ange I Trust.
Mon the Hoops

HH 🍀

Other teams will target him going by some of his performances this season.So far hes not impressed me in the hoops and i reckon Morelos would see him as easy meat ..i think if Jullien was fit the Swede wouldnt get a look in.Im not sure what i think of Welsh either to be honest.

I like Starfelt Niall and have argued the case for the boy from his initial slating immediately after the Wee Huns opening game of the season. I think he wins more duals than he loses with his head and tackles In defence and if you look back at a number of goals we have scored he is usually the starting point of the build up. The boy only recently got his own place instead of living out of a hotel. Still the strongest central two along with Get Carter in my opinion. Yeah ok he can make some misjudgements but his overall contribution to best defence in the league to date cannot be ignored. Whichever way we go after the window and the return of Jullien Starfelt will still have a strong contribution to make in the squad.. no way am I writing him off and or listening to the SMSM trying to dis our players when they would have you believe that Goldshun dies no wrong. Mon the starfish. 🍀

I think he's a good player who plays the ball out of defence well enough..good passing, occasional brain fart but on the whole decent enough.....I like many remember those Celtic defensive stalwarts such as , mark McNally, Derek Whyte, lex bailie et al.....even established favourite names like Tony Mowbray, Mick McCarthy and Bobo had their moments and cost us dearly in many games.... Starfish is by no means any worse than the aforementioned and deserves a season before he can be judged..IMO
Agree, deserves time, there’s a player in there.
When you consider the amount of game time Efi Ambrose got, and he’s one of the biggest bombscares I can remember, Starfelt is certainly better than that.

Other teams will target him going by some of his performances this season.So far hes not impressed me in the hoops and i reckon Morelos would see him as easy meat ..i think if Jullien was fit the Swede wouldnt get a look in.Im not sure what i think of Welsh either to be honest.
I rate Welsh from what I've seen and Murray both young talent that can only get better

I like Welsh too. He has a bit to go but he's serving a good apprenticeship. I'm not sure Starfelt lacks the minerals, I think the lack of protection from our legendary officials frustrates him. He's right, the interpretation of the rules are different in Scotland but he needs to find a way of getting on with it. Good point re getting the retaliation in first, maybe that's the way to play it.
A fair article. I like Starfelt as well and think/hope once he settles and gets up to speed with Scottish football then he will become a good CB for us. Having said that he does have a tendency to lose concentration for the next few minutes when rattled and he needs to work out how to stay calm and move on.

Thankfully we didn't have social media in Paul Elliott's first season or he would have been run out of the club too.

Last edited:
Back