Celtic v Dundee Utd - Match Thread

What disappoints me a little with Laxalt is that we don't see him take on a defender to much as I am sure he has the ability to do so, which in turn could provide better opportunities for assists and even goals
Is this something that we coach or do our wing backs just realise there is little point in hitting the byline and crossing it because we don't play attackers who sprint into the box looking to header in a cross?

Too often our wide players trun back and pass it backwards rather than fire it into the box? Johnny Hayes tried crossing the ball in but was slagged off for crossing it to no-one, even though it was a tactic he'd used it so successfully at Aberdeen to create so many assists.

Is this something that we coach or do our wing backs just realise there is little point in hitting the byline and crossing it because we don't play attackers who sprint into the box looking to header in a cross?

Too often our wide players trun back and pass it backwards rather than fire it into the box? Johnny Hayes tried crossing the ball in but was slagged off for crossing it to no-one, even though it was a tactic he'd used it so successfully at Aberdeen to create so many assists.
But this is how contradictory our play can be, we are starting to see work has been done with frimps and his delivery and the threat it now brings on the right and yet we don't seem to want to encourage that down the left, we know Taylor hasn't the ability to beat an egg but think lax could if encouraged to do so more, essentially with calmac for cover

But this is how contradictory our play can be, we are starting to see work has been done with frimps and his delivery and the threat it now brings on the right and yet we don't seem to want to encourage that down the left, we know Taylor hasn't the ability to beat an egg but think lax could if encouraged to do so more, essentially with calmac for cover
Absolutely John nó. That is what puzzles me about what is and isn't being coached to our players. Frimpong did it once and we were successful and yet he looked unwilling to try it again.

When I played sports, if I tried something and it worked then I would try it a few times again if possible. I definitely would not shy away from it as Frimpong did.

Is that a lack of belief in their own ability (I doubt it) or are they told not to do it? It is a conundrum that I don't have the answer to.

Last edited:
There does seem to be a lot of thought put into formations and such, 352?, or some other. However I have the answer, truly I do, and it's so simple (and I hate to show off), but the 4 up front is a no brainer.
Line up with
Left forward Greg T, Jullien Right CF, Bitton Left CF, Ajer Right forward.
A traditional midfield with Turnbull, Christie, Mo Elyounoussi and Rogic .
a back two of Griff and Eddie.

So Celtic line up with proven goal scorers like Ajer and Jullien in 244 (leaked) and a mind fuck for Gerard to contemplate,
then 2 minutes after KO Celtic revert to the actual 442,
and while Beale is still trying to answer his pupil's questions.
Stevie has a Brain fart,

Absolutely John nó. That is what puzzles me about what is and isn't being coached to our players. Frimpong did it and we were successful and yet he looked unwilling to try it again.

When I played sports, if I tried something and it worked then I would try it a few times again if possible. I definitely would not shy away from it as Frimpong did.

Is that a lack of belief in their own ability (I doubt it) or are they told not to do it? It is a conundrum that I don't have the answer to.
Well I was always taught to play to your strengths, and still believe it's the best policy in order to score goals.
If you have a player that can beat a player that should be encouraged in the last third of the field, I wouldn't want to see my defenders wanting to be to fancy in our defensive third.
But our coaching set up are hardly attack minded individuals and seem more intent in trying to break teams down.
Hopefully now with a diamond in midfield it should allow our full back's to be able to overlap and get more opportunities to go at oppersition full back's to get into more dangerous areas than slinging a ball in that is going nowhere

Well I was always taught to play to your strengths, and still believe it's the best policy in order to score goals.
If you have a player that can beat a player that should be encouraged in the last third of the field, I wouldn't want to see my defenders wanting to be to fancy in our defensive third.
But our coaching set up are hardly attack minded individuals and seem more intent in trying to break teams down.
Hopefully now with a diamond in midfield it should allow our full back's to be able to overlap and get more opportunities to go at oppersition full back's to get into more dangerous areas than slinging a ball in that is going nowhere
Yes. Play your best players in their best positions and get the simple things done right and you will often find you win a helluva lot more than you lose (especially if you are starting with the squad of much better players like we are).

Last edited:
Another change that may be worth considering and you just mentioned it BB, and that is of Henderson for Christie.
To many of our bigger so called players have became to comfortable in gaining automatic starting role, we have all seen what Henderson can offer the team and yet not been given a fair opportunity.
Christie I thought was woeful at Hamilton and a strong manager would be saying that's unacceptable and face getting dropped and that should be the case for every individual within a team.
It also allows for squad rotation to be used in the proper manner in order to keep the whole squad fresh.
It's criminal for taken so long to achieve this, and fear we may still not use the whole squad wisely in order of favouritism
I love young Henderson as a forward-thinking player. He's one I'd hate to see lost to a loan deal and a low transfer fee to some championship club or similar. The time to have these youngsters blooded and taking part in competitive games should've been about 18months ago but someone wasn't paying attention to the development side of things.

We probably could've saved a fortune on transfer fees if the kids were introduced earlier. Welsh, Connell, Karamoko and a few others might've been the answer but we seem to scared these days to get them in the team.

There does seem to be a lot of thought put into formations and such, 352?, or some other. However I have the answer, truly I do, and it's so simple (and I hate to show off), but the 4 up front is a no brainer.
Line up with

So Celtic line up with proven goal scorers like Ajer and Jullien in 244 (leaked) and a mind fuck for Gerard to contemplate,
Stevie has a Brain fart,

That was one of the most beautiful video clips I've ever seen.

Not ashamed to admit I shed a little tear of joy.

Line up with

Stevie has a Brain fart,

Best thing I've ever seen

First things first, get the team selection right for tomorrow , get the job done with a convincing win and then we can move forward to what we want for the huns game, we are in a situation where we have to win every game so the Dundee utd game is the most important game for now, if we lose this one or even draw and the huns win then Saturdays game means hee haw as far as the league is concerned.

LG first goal, the good guys to win 4-0

Barkas
Ajer biton julien laxalt
Frimpong soro turnbull johnston
Griff eddy

Give that formation a wee try before reverting back to diamond 2nd half. I know i shouldn't be looking ahead of this game to the hun match but I am.
Issue with playing a diamond against the huns is they have quick full backs and wingers in hagi, Kent, tavpen and barasic. Granted they arent superstars but they don't need to be when they are doubling up on the likes of frimpong and laxalt/ Taylor. If we play natural wingers across the midfield it would hopefully prevent their rb and lb pushing forward. At least lenny would know he has a plan B should things start going tits up in the derby.

In saying that I'll go 4-0 celtic with this 👆👆 formation and 3-1 with the formation lenny starts with 😁😁😁

Barkas
Ajer biton julien laxalt
Frimpong soro turnbull johnston
Griff eddy

Give that formation a wee try before reverting back to diamond 2nd half. I know i shouldn't be looking ahead of this game to the hun match but I am.
Issue with playing a diamond against the huns is they have quick full backs and wingers in hagi, Kent, tavpen and barasic. Granted they arent superstars but they don't need to be when they are doubling up on the likes of frimpong and laxalt/ Taylor. If we play natural wingers across the midfield it would hopefully prevent their rb and lb pushing forward. At least lenny would know he has a plan B should things start going tits up in the derby.

In saying that I'll go 4-0 celtic with this 👆👆 formation and 3-1 with the formation lenny starts with 😁😁😁
Great line up but I'd rather go with young Connor in goal.

Members online

Latest posts

Back