Celtic v Dundee Utd - Match Thread

I love young Henderson as a forward-thinking player. He's one I'd hate to see lost to a loan deal and a low transfer fee to some championship club or similar. The time to have these youngsters blooded and taking part in competitive games should've been about 18months ago but someone wasn't paying attention to the development side of things.

We probably could've saved a fortune on transfer fees if the kids were introduced earlier. Welsh, Connell, Karamoko and a few others might've been the answer but we seem to scared these days to get them in the team.
Great points khenny and believe we already have a ready made replacement for Christie, and in the Lille game he was so impressive, I think it is totally wrong for us as a club to have dismissed him ever since.
What more can a young player do, when proving himself against quality opposition?

Barkas
Ajer biton julien laxalt
Frimpong soro turnbull johnston
Griff eddy

Give that formation a wee try before reverting back to diamond 2nd half. I know i shouldn't be looking ahead of this game to the hun match but I am.
Issue with playing a diamond against the huns is they have quick full backs and wingers in hagi, Kent, tavpen and barasic. Granted they arent superstars but they don't need to be when they are doubling up on the likes of frimpong and laxalt/ Taylor. If we play natural wingers across the midfield it would hopefully prevent their rb and lb pushing forward. At least lenny would know he has a plan B should things start going tits up in the derby.

In saying that I'll go 4-0 celtic with this 👆👆 formation and 3-1 with the formation lenny starts with 😁😁😁
I like it except for Barkass.... we need a keeper so I would go for Bain.

Barkas
Ajer biton julien laxalt
Frimpong soro turnbull johnston
Griff eddy

Give that formation a wee try before reverting back to diamond 2nd half. I know i shouldn't be looking ahead of this game to the hun match but I am.
Issue with playing a diamond against the huns is they have quick full backs and wingers in hagi, Kent, tavpen and barasic. Granted they arent superstars but they don't need to be when they are doubling up on the likes of frimpong and laxalt/ Taylor. If we play natural wingers across the midfield it would hopefully prevent their rb and lb pushing forward. At least lenny would know he has a plan B should things start going tits up in the derby.

In saying that I'll go 4-0 celtic with this 👆👆 formation and 3-1 with the formation lenny starts with 😁😁😁
Not so sure Lubos, i think the diamond suits us perfect for the players we have.
As we have fairly useful fb that can get forward allows for the overlap to provide that extra width while in possession, and also gives us better options in pressing oppersition back lines much higher up the pitch and not having the options to play through us as easily as they have been earlier in the season.
Not to many teams are going to feel comfortable leaving themselves open to a counter attack of Turnbull, Griff and eddy if they lose possession

Not so sure Lubos, i think the diamond suits us perfect for the players we have.
As we have fairly useful fb that can get forward allows for the overlap to provide that extra width while in possession, and also gives us better options in pressing oppersition back lines much higher up the pitch and not having the options to play through us as easily as they have been earlier in the season.
Not to many teams are going to feel comfortable leaving themselves open to a counter attack of Turnbull, Griff and eddy if they lose possession

Don't feel our full backs do the correct job in our formation. RB/LB barely hit the byline. Constantly cutting in to a packed middle of the park. So when we lose the ball we have an issue of fullbacks being out of position in centre of park. Long diagonal balls when we lose it kill us against lesser teams as our midfield, who are usually all crammed into the oppositions defense alongside our full back and strikers are out of position leaving us completely exposed at the back. The huns will take advantage of this with their FBs (who do hit the byline) and their quick wingers. If we play 2 natural wingers I feel it will allow our RB and LBs to do their job and defend. Our natural wingers can get forward and help out in the wide areas when needed. It would also still allow both ajer and laxalt to assist in attack when we are dominating possession. Again, I'm thinking more about just having a plan B against the huns.

If we play the diamond against the huns and they run all over us (they seem to find an extra 20% from somewhere when they play us, that we can't seem to find) and lenny doesn't have any ideas on what to do, that's when we fall away to fuck. The players panic and we end up running around like headless chickens.....finishing the match with 5 strikers on the park!! He could start the match against united with natural width on the park to see how it looks. We have enough talent on the bench to change it the 2nd 45. I know we want a settled team and the diamond is working at the moment I just worry that or defence will he exposed against the huns wider players. We cant kid ourselves that they haven't caused teams issues this season...

If we play the diamond against the huns and they run all over us (they seem to find an extra 20% from somewhere when they play us, that we can't seem to find) and lenny doesn't have any ideas on what to do, that's when we fall away to fuck. The players panic and we end up running around like headless chickens.....finishing the match with 5 strikers on the park!! He could start the match against united with natural width on the park to see how it looks. We have enough talent on the bench to change it the 2nd 45. I know we want a settled team and the diamond is working at the moment I just worry that or defence will he exposed against the huns wider players. We cant kid ourselves that they haven't caused teams issues this season...
A lot of folk seem to think they aren't a good team but we accept this at our peril. They haven't lost many goals, they're playing as a unit and have the confidence that we're struggling to find.

A lot of folk seem to think they aren't a good team but we accept this at our peril. They haven't lost many goals, they're playing as a unit and have the confidence that we're struggling to find.

Exactly shammy. Yes, there are a couple of matches they may have not won if it wasn't for the ref but in the whole they have played well as a unit. Slippy knows his best players and where to play them. And going by the last few matches, winning the derby means more to them and thats more dangerous than anything. They seem to want it more.

If we dominate against united and get a good lead against them then hopefully lenny tries a few different things in the game. What I hate is when we are on top, like against Hamilton, lenny sits on his arse and doesn't make changes. These are perfect games, when we are 3 goals up, to try some different tactics and formations.

They are bang average...shut them down out wide and don't invite counter attacks and take your chances in front of goal...job done...they are vulnerable at cross balls , through the middle and set plays

Exactly. We underestimated them in the last 3 games and they dominated us (thanks go to The Wa' for us somehow winning the final). Their players are not as good as ours but they work harder and have a definite strategy.

They appear to be lucky and are undoubtedly getting the rub of the green (or should that be rub of the orange?) from referees, but we have to match them for effort to allow our greater skill to wins the day. Be in no doubt at all that this will be a hard fought battle where they will throw everything at us to try to "win the league"!

We will win if we play smart and give it 100%.

Don't feel our full backs do the correct job in our formation. RB/LB barely hit the byline. Constantly cutting in to a packed middle of the park. So when we lose the ball we have an issue of fullbacks being out of position in centre of park. Long diagonal balls when we lose it kill us against lesser teams as our midfield, who are usually all crammed into the oppositions defense alongside our full back and strikers are out of position leaving us completely exposed at the back. The huns will take advantage of this with their FBs (who do hit the byline) and their quick wingers. If we play 2 natural wingers I feel it will allow our RB and LBs to do their job and defend. Our natural wingers can get forward and help out in the wide areas when needed. It would also still allow both ajer and laxalt to assist in attack when we are dominating possession. Again, I'm thinking more about just having a plan B against the huns.
Natural wingers no longer have the same affect in the modern game as they once did imo.
They would have more affect in a much more open game, but we rarely see this especially in Scotland where so many teams are so intent on getting men behind the ball that doesn't allow wingers room to operate.
The HUNS are only really a counter attacking team, like most we play against.
They are not to great when you go hard at them and we have sat off them and making them look good.
This calmac and broony combination sitting so deep only has played into there hands.
There front 3 are hardly world beaters and we have played far better attacking players than what the 3 stooges have to offer.
Our weekness has been defending balls into our box but if opposition don't have the ball or have nowhere to go when they have, then there is not to much to defend against

Exactly shammy. Yes, there are a couple of matches they may have not won if it wasn't for the ref but in the whole they have played well as a unit. Slippy knows his best players and where to play them. And going by the last few matches, winning the derby means more to them and thats more dangerous than anything. They seem to want it more.

If we dominate against united and get a good lead against them then hopefully lenny tries a few different things in the game. What I hate is when we are on top, like against Hamilton, lenny sits on his arse and doesn't make changes. These are perfect games, when we are 3 goals up, to try some different tactics and formations.
It seems crazy that Lenny still doesn't know his best 11 and that he's still 'trying' different tactics at this stage of the season.

It seems crazy that Lenny still doesn't know his best 11 and that he's still 'trying' different tactics at this stage of the season.
Maybe it is only now shammy that he is prepared to start playing his strongest 11 in the best formation that suits the players, the questions will remain as to why so long? And this week we should finally know what this team is all about

Natural wingers no longer have the same affect in the modern game as they once did imo.
They would have more affect in a much more open game, but we rarely see this especially in Scotland where so many teams are so intent on getting men behind the ball that doesn't allow wingers room to operate.
The HUNS are only really a counter attacking team, like most we play against.
They are not to great when you go hard at them and we have sat off them and making them look good.
This calmac and broony combination sitting so deep only has played into there hands.
There front 3 are hardly world beaters and we have played far better attacking players than what the 3 stooges have to offer.
Our weekness has been defending balls into our box but if opposition don't have the ball or have nowhere to go when they have, then there is not to much to defend against
Agreed wingers have not got the same effect as years gone by.
But on the other hand the most dangerous balls to defend or attack is an early cross or cut back from the bye-line area. Anyhow as the long as the goals flow in our favour I don't care what part of the pitch there created .

Agreed wingers have not got the same effect as years gone by.
But on the other hand the most dangerous balls to defend or attack is an early cross or cut back from the bye-line area. Anyhow as the long as the goals flow in our favour I don't care what part of the pitch there created .
Wingers still have a role within the modern game but maybe more so later in a game when it can become more stretched and open.
A player with the ability to beat a man in the last third will always cause panic within a defensive line.
To make them more affective you have to move the ball far quicker than we have been prepared to do of late, hence giving them no room to work in

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back