Celtic v Lazio, Champions League , Wednesday 4th October, 8pm kick off

The morning after; heid clearer. I now realise I could have said what I wanted to say with a few dozen fewer words.

A disciplined performance, but lacked the necessary quality to get over the line.
Nothing wrong with your posts Frank. That about sums it up really.

We celebrate the multiple victories we've enjoyed thanks to last minute goals, but it is a real kick in the nutsack when you are on the receiving end. We do tend to play high risk style of football which is brilliant when it comes off for you - as happens more often than not for us - but is disappointing when it goes against you like last night. For example, CCV could have blootered the ball out of the park and we'd have earned a draw, but he never - but if he did then we'd have questioned his actions as at that point we looked most likely to snatch the victory. And for that I cannot question his decision as so often it works in our favour.

Overall I thought we did well but just never had enough get what we deserved from the match against a good side that we made to look fairly ordinary for large periods of the match. We were uncomfortable at times which will happen against better quality opponents than we routinely play, but we never stopped trying even when things never came off for us.

All I want is for every player to try their best and I believe that they all did, even if form has temporarily deserted one or two of our better players. I'm gutted at the late loss, but mostly satisfied with large swathes of the game and I know we can do even better.

Watched the game thought we played really well throughout 2 mistakes which at this level, well you know
We moved the ball from back to front very well we passed the ball really quickly
The passing and ball movement for Kyogo’s goal was Top class.
I’d say that’s the performance or even better that BR is looking for.
One thing we need to do better as last night showed clear the lines pump the ball up the park press them reset go again.
Overall was pleased with the performance and our play.
Pissed at the result.
Mon the Hoops

HH🍀

Like most Celtic fans overall I was very happy with the performance - it is such a pity that we competed and should taken something from each of those games. Still I am very confident that we can take something from each of the return games as the team is now getting up to speed.
looking for Palma; Bernardo and CCV to start games very soon - not quite sure what is happening with Hatate at the moment clearly not quite there yet. HH

Watching again Hatate had as poor a game as I thought at CP last night. Hatate doesn't suit the BR style of play. BR wants to first and foremost control possession, Hatate loses the ball too often. He's yet to turn up this season (even taking injury period into account). Hatate would actually be better beside McGregor with O'Riley the one pushing forward (similar to under AP) but O'Riley is playing so well deeper beside McGregor it doesn't make sense moving him. Maybe time to have a look at two strikers, Kyogo is dropping deep into the no.10 slot often as it is, play him and Oh as a pairing or him and Maeda.

Watching again Hatate had as poor a game as I thought at CP last night. Hatate doesn't suit the BR style of play. BR wants to first and foremost control possession, Hatate loses the ball too often. He's yet to turn up this season (even taking injury period into account). Hatate would actually be better beside McGregor with O'Riley the one pushing forward (similar to under AP) but O'Riley is playing so well deeper beside McGregor it doesn't make sense moving him. Maybe time to have a look at two strikers, Kyogo is dropping deep into the no.10 slot often as it is, play him and Oh as a pairing or him and Maeda.
I've said it before but I think the personnel we have is better suited to a 3-5-2. I know manager's love having their philosophy but for me a good manager is about getting the best possible tactic from the players they have at their disposal. I think a back 3 of Phillips, CCV & Scales (with Nawrocki & Lagerbhoy, then Welsh, swapping in as needed) would be more solid and physically more solid.

I think it was you that touched on it earlier about how many small light-weight players we have. Yes, there is definitely a place for a few smaller built players in your side but when you have as many as us then we can get bullied a little bit. I remember years ago taking clients to an event at Aberdeen FC where there were players at all the tables. I could not get over how tiny so many of them were - no wonder Celtic were dominating them at the time in every match.

I was wondering about Hatate - you know how when a young player breaks through and they are exciting and excellent at first, then after a couple of years or so their form dips for a wee while, and then (some) improves and their career kicks on? Maybe this is Hatate's wee dip?

Remember that Reo was a relatively late developer and he has only been playing as a full-time professional for much less than others of his age. After a very intense period of high pressure football, maybe he is suffering the inevitable physical & mental exhaustion that most players go through 9earlier in their careers), heightened by injury and having to learn a completely new system at just the wrong time in his career trajectory. But I think the resilience he has shown in the past suggests that he will get over this and become an even better player than he displayed last season when he was often exceptional.

Seven brothers an' seven sisters; eat or don't eat...your choice. Had feck all, but as STG would put it......"except everything we needed"

Would I change it? Feckin' right I would. Left me with a sense of values for certain; good times, though ? Nah !

Those bloomin' tangents again. How the fu.....devil did we get here ?

Sounds about right Frank,we got stung in the last minute hard to it appears we forgot our mantra (we never stop) hope we learned a lesson still back to the league onwards and upwards
Nope. We never learn I’m afraid. This shit happens time after time.
Same with the board. Millions in the bank and we buy projects. How much do we need before they spend on quality? 100m? 200m?
Things will never change until this lot are gone.

Seven brothers an' seven sisters; eat or don't eat...your choice. Had feck all, but as STG would put it......"except everything we needed"

Would I change it? Feckin' right I would. Left me with a sense of values for certain; good times, though ? Nah !
Ma Dad was similar Frank he never understood why he had six Brothers but his Seven Sisters had Seven
16 people in a 5 apartment building all single births.
And they were not the largest family in the street.
All in a small cul de sac in Ashgrove Musselburgh.
Everyone was fed and watered all brought up to look out for each other.
Christmas must have been fun
Sadly there’s only 1 brother left and 3 sisters.
But some great memories
Thanks 🙏

HH👏

Ma Dad was similar Frank he never understood why he had six Brothers but his Seven Sisters had Seven
16 people in a 5 apartment building all single births.
And they were not the largest family in the street.
All in a small cul de sac in Ashgrove Musselburgh.
Everyone was fed and watered all brought up to look out for each other.
Christmas must have been fun
Sadly there’s only 1 brother left and 3 sisters.
But some great memories
Thanks 🙏

HH👏
Sounds familiar, JS. I've got two brothers and five sisters still with us. Three of them battling serious illnesses. I was smack in the middle in terms of age; now I'm the oldest. I treasure every day in their company.... Now, THAT is something I wouldn't change.

We weren't great but then neither were Nazio but inexperience yet again is costing us in europe , yangs a young player getting thrown in at the deep end the champions league isn't for him some good touches but he tends to beat himself
Taylor needs to have a wee look at how AJ takes a throw in , the game could have went anyway but once again the last 5 minute collapse reared it's head

if in doubt launch it out

what is it with emib that's 2 in a row who were pish , Hatate's elbow in the face should have been flagged up by var which is now even a bigger joke in europe as it is at home

Sounds familiar, JS. I've got two brothers and five sisters still with us. Three of them battling serious illnesses. I was smack in the middle in terms of age; now I'm the oldest. I treasure every day in their company.... Now, THAT is something I wouldn't change.
Will never forget the look on ma DA’s and the youngest brother Johnnie at my Uncle Joes funeral both realised that they were the last still standing.
Still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.
I miss all of Dads and my Mithers family
But I miss them immensely but truly thankful for the building blocks they gave to me and my Sisters.

HH Family 🙏

In my annoyance at last nights overall performance, I completely forgot about the murdering of YNWA, I'm sure the wee lassie is a good chanter, but not a peach on 60,000 Celtic fans belting it out....

We want Gerry ffs, first we had Celtic and Lazio 😱 😱 😱 scarfs, now some tube has decided to stop the fans singing YNWA... Get it sorted for our home game against A Madrid please...

I won't be too hard on Brendan, as I think he got the tactics spot on in both games.

But I thought his team selection last night could have been better. And that's not hindsight.

When the team was anounced I said Yang didn't deserve to start ahead of Palma.
Also as soon as it was clear Lager would miss last night, Iwata and Scales should have been played together.

I've no doubt Nat Philips is a better CB than Iwata, but you don't really have 2 CBs in a team.

You have "pair" of CBs who have developed an understanding. Nat wasn't availble to slot straight in, so I would have went with Iwata.

Nat could have been on the bench, and we could have eased CCV back in.

Diffucult call as there were still league games to win, but that's what I would have done.

I won't be too hard on Brendan, as I think he got the tactics spot on in both games.

But I thought his team selection last night could have been better. And that's not hindsight.

When the team was anounced I said Yang didn't deserve to start ahead of Palma.
Also as soon as it was clear Lager would miss last night, Iwata and Scales should have been played together.

I've no doubt Nat Philips is a better CB than Iwata, but you don't really have 2 CBs in a team.

You have "pair" of CBs who have developed an understanding. Nat wasn't availble to slot straight in, so I would have went with Iwata.

Nat could have been on the bench, and we could have eased CCV back in.

Diffucult call as there were still league games to win, but that's what I would have done.
Thought Nat played really well bud both him Scales were solid
My main thought is these refs are supposed to be the best two players go up for the ball ours gets booked Nat
Hatate the Nazio thug tries an Elbow doesn’t hit but then punches Hatate in the Face nothing no VAR our goal sadly but correctly ruled offside for a skiff on Maeda’s sock. They’re goal even the replay showed Pedro’s arm offside nothing from VAR infact the kick off couldn’t be taken any quicker Why.
We played very good ,Passed faster running into space better Final ball could do better.
In reality if you make mistakes in Scotia you sometimes get away with it.
In The CL the opposition almost always take them. That’s the bit we need to do better.
But like you losing was a barsteward

HH🍀

Members online

Latest posts

Back