Celtic v Lazio - Europa League, Thursday 24 October 8pm, all comments here

Funny ish story time, my other half is from fluffy England and her mother was very concerned when her precious daughter met a builder from Scotland who liked a beer or 12!
First time the future Mrs Hoopy was up here we went for a walk up the Glen and being a clumsy bugger she almost fell down a gorge, i managed to grab her (I saved her life she almost drowned - Greece) unfortunately I elbowed her in the eye, so she went home with a massive black eye, 15 years later I still don't get on with her mother! 😹
Youre a bad man Hoopy 😆

Still walking about with the world's biggest grin on my coupon after that last night 😁

Cracking game of fitba even if it did shave a few years off my life expectancy. It was a brilliant result against a really good side and we weren't even at our best. We did play some lovely fitba at times last night but it only came in patches. That said they're a tidy passing side who knock the ball about crisply and defend really well so it's no surprise the bhoys weren't at their free flowing best.

What really shone through though was the resilience and strength of character of these bhoys. They dominated the Italians for the first half hour and had them spooked until they sucker punched us by scoring against the run of play but the bhoys never let their heads go down not even for a second. They dug deep soaked up the pressure and came out swinging in the 2nd half and kept fucking swinging until the Italians couldn't take any more. Aye there was a few hairy moments but overall we were the better side.

For the most part when it came to play and possession there wasn't much between the sides but we were hungrier than them, we were more up for the fight than they were and while they spent their time play acting hoping the ref (who looked more and more out his depth the longer the game went on) would dig them out the shit with a free-kick or a penalty we instead focused on winning the game through our own efforts and not gifts from the ref and it was that attitude that seen us come out on top.

The attitude and the resolve of the team last night had Lenny's character stamped all over it, they grafted, they didn't shrink under pressure, they bared their teeth when they had to and they ran themselves into the ground......it wasn't always pretty but it was pretty fucking effective.

I said on here before the game last night that this was Lenny's and the bhoy's biggest test so far and for me would be the one where Lenny proved if he had matured tactically as a manager or not......I think he answered that question with how he approached this game.

While I wasn't ardently against Lenny getting the job I did have my doubts about Lawell's influence over him as well as his tactical nous and the Cluj CL game had me worried my reservations were justified but that now looks like an aberration and any lingering doubts I originally had about his appointment were put to bed last night. He got his tactics spot on, brave but not careless, drilled the team to be patient when they had to be but direct when they should be, he recognised where we were having issues and altered the tactics to remedy them, he made the right subs at the right times and he's got the bhoys believing they can go toe to toe with anybody.

Add to that he's brought a much needed balance to what was an overly youthful and at times naive squad by adding the experience I've been banging on about for years, which has instilled a resilience that has been sorely lacking in the team over the last few years, then Lenny is indeed the right man to be managing this great club of ours. He deserves massive credit, not just for last night but overall for how he's overhauled the personnel and how we now play, he's found the balance BR never could by not allowing his philosophy to override the practicalities.

So a massive well done to Lenny and the bhoys but like Lenny said today let's regroup and focus on Sunday's match with Aberdeen.
Great post Andy as per your usual standard
HH

HH 🍀

Meanwhile the Scottish press are seemingly putting the boot in about the banners against Nazio, Inzaghi is saying he will remember the occasion for the rest of his life and said he brought his oldest son over to sample the atmosphere as he knew it was going to be special. Fair play👍👍👍
Funny no heard much about the Nazi salutes or the Fascist chants in the press .Glad Simone and his son enjoyed our stadium though.

Back