Celtic v St Johnstone - Celtic Park, Saturday 26th August, 3pm

Gary67

First 3pm home kick off of the season. We need to bounce back after the Killie debacle and hammer them.
Team selection will be interesting given the injury situation, particularly in defence. Apparently AJ is back according to report in Canada. Would like to see BR try a 3 at the back, especially ahead of Ibrox and Europe next month. We also need someone in beside McGregor, Iwata is a DM, was J League POTY as DM so time to play him there.

Hart
Johnston Lagerbielke Scales
Iwata McGregor
Yang O'RIley Holm Maeda
Kyogo
Subs Bain Ralston Taylor Turnbull Kwon Haksabanovic Abada Forrest Vata

No doubt it'll be the same old back 4 in a 4231 with Ralston & Taylor at full back

4-1 Kyogo treble

First 3pm home kick off of the season. We need to bounce back after the Killie debacle and hammer them.
Team selection will be interesting given the injury situation, particularly in defence. Apparently AJ is back according to report in Canada. Would like to see BR try a 3 at the back, especially ahead of Ibrox and Europe next month. We also need someone in beside McGregor, Iwata is a DM, was J League POTY as DM so time to play him there.

Hart
Iwata McGregor
Yang O'RIley Holm Maeda
Kyogo

No doubt it'll be the same old back 4 in a 4231 with Ralston & Taylor at full back

4-1 Kyogo treble
I'm beginning to think three at the back will be the preferred option when everyone's fit. If so, sadly for Taylor after his excellent season last year, a decent left back with the required skills goin' forward needs to be signed.

But why only 1-4 ?

I really just want to see us put in a performance on Saturday.
Against Kilmarnock we were lethargic, lackadaisical and lost both actually and metaphorically ( good Sandman chat there😂)
But seriously we need to show desire and ffs play quicker. I had hoped Rodger’s had moved on from 6 x across the back but it doesn’t look like it. McGregor needs to lift his game and push the rest on as well.
Performance wins points!!
HH

Yeah I've been thinking along the 3 at the back formation myself with 4 mids and 3 upfront.

But I doubt it. So

Joe

AJ/Tony, Lagerbhoy Scales, Taylor.

Calmac O'Riely Kwon.

Abada Kyogo Yang.

Keep Maeda as a sub striker atm, and hopefully get a look at Iwata and Vata second half.

3 nuffin Celtic...

Bet of the day, Yang to score anytime.. 👍

I'm beginning to think three at the back will be the preferred option when everyone's fit. If so, sadly for Taylor after his excellent season last year, a decent left back with the required skills goin' forward needs to be signed.

But why only 1-4 ?
We're not playing that well, going forward or defensively. Early days in the season, taking our time to get up to speed with the new manager's preferred way of playing, ie possession, possession, possession but little speed when in possession.

Hart
Iwata McGregor
Yang O'RIley Holm Maeda
Kyogo

4-1 Kyogo treble
I 100% agree Gary. That is the probably same team and formation I would start with (possibly I'd start Abada rather than Holm). I think it gives added protection to our defence at this time while we are bedding in new CBs.

Like you, I suspect Brendan will go for the usual 4 at the back and the St J forward will be allowed to man-handle (i.e. cheat) our defenders without any application of the laws by the MIB, but they will win cheap free kicks by hurling themselves to the ground after initiating a slight contact.

Maeda needs to refind his mojo after last week - but he was far from the only player who had an off-day.

Can I just remind you all that it wasn't just Killie we were poor against, poor at home to County and against the sheep we were slightly better although we got a helping hand from the sheep defence, up the pace Celtic playing slow allows our opponents time to get the buses rearranged at the back..

We were not poor against County...we lost 2 sloppy goals granted but our general play was decent

We need to get our heads out of our asses, man up, and get back on track. STJ are straight horse shit defensively and we need to take advantage of that.

I think we will, but if its another inept performance, even if we win, I'm sticking my head in a deep fryer....while its on.

Can you post yer password and bank details on here before you contemplate that ma mhan?…

Hart
Iwata McGregor
Yang O'RIley Holm Maeda
Kyogo

4-1 Kyogo treble
I hope he doesn't play Iwata at centre back, he is a disaster in there. He is a defensive midfielder who is good with the ball at his feet. Scales is a better centre back.
A performance and three points please Celtic.
COYBIG.

I never really talk about overall performance as its all about results at the end of the day.
But on this occasion I'm gonna contradict myself slightly and say performance tomorrow is really important to give us a spark.
Appreciate we are depleted through injury but there is still plenty of options in the squad to show up for this game.
Calmac needs to lead the way imo as to date quite frankly he has been poor.
Would prefer a back 3 and try a few different options in midfield with Iwata starting to give more physicality and energy to be honest.
Give Yang a start and give us a look at big Kwong at least last 15mins.

This pool of players we currently have are the only option for tomorrow and next week for the bigger challenge regardless of who we sign.
There is still quality there we need to show application desire and commitment and we then give ourselves a positive chance to progress.

Back