CELTIC v VALENCIA - all comments here

The difference in quality opposition between La Liga and SPL is vast and obviously plays a part in the loss last night. I am not suggesting otherwise, but there’s nothing we can do about that, nor has it inhibited Scottish clubs from going on deep runs in Europe in the past, both us and oldco Rangers, and even Aberdeen if one wants to get in their way back machine.

But the premise that Valencia have a superior squad and we can’t compete with them is nonsense. Financially we’re on par with them and we have quality players who have done the business for us even in Europe in the past. It was only 2 years ago that we put 3 goals past a Man City team that was far superior to what we faced last night.

Losing last night hurt because it was a very winnable game for us. To suggest otherwise is to make excuses for what is otherwise a failure for those at the club to achieve their potential - whether that’s the players, the manager and coaches, or those in the board room.

I’m not here to throw stones at people in our own club. But I also refuse to accept excuses for losing an otherwise winnable game. Valencia won last night because they turned up last night with a good game plan and didn’t make mistakes. We lost because we did neither, not because we are inferior to them.
brought a £30 million player off the bench! yep we can compete with that!

Its gone babe, done n dusted. We move on get the eight. Feel great. Get the nine feel sublime. Then get the ten n laugh like fuck ????

Last edited by a moderator:
Man City are superior, but we are not as good as the team that played them. We have got worse year in year through lack of investment in fixing glaring weaknesses in our team. If anybody thinks we will actually fix that in the summer I can give them my psychiatrists number.

That’s a bit harsh. I do think this year’s team is better than the ones Ronny had that failed to qualify for CL and also failed to do anything meaningful in Europa. I do also think that had Benkovic and KT played we would have played Valencia to a scoreless draw as both goals were down to mistakes by their direct replacements.

Regardless, with so many defenders leaving the club this summer either due to loans expiring or contracts expiring, there will be a lot of turnover on the back line this summer one way or the other. Whether we get quality or project signings is TBD.

Hope Burke does not play or plays poor on the return leg.
Don't want WBA fans to have easy access to see what their boy can do. If they never see him play it might just give Celtic a slim chance to sign him.
That run of Burkes in extra time yesterday, taking control from a threat in our half and going right into their box on his own and with such strength and speed, a long time since we have had that combination in the forwards.

Maybe I’m old fashioned (or maybe just old! :ROFLMAO:) but I would prefer all of our players to play well enough for us to get a result, and hopefully well enough to advance to the next round. If that means we don’t get Burke or Weah in the summer, so be it. That’s a price I’m willing to pay for getting to the last 16 of the tournament.

Maybe I’m old fashioned (or maybe just old! :ROFLMAO:) but I would prefer all of our players to play well enough for us to get a result, and hopefully well enough to advance to the next round. If that means we don’t get Burke or Weah in the summer, so be it. That’s a price I’m willing to pay for getting to the last 16 of the tournament.
When did you move to the states Ben or were you born there?

no I know what you mean, I'm just a realist. I don't see us winning it and not sure the cost of trying would be worth the try.
the dead club rangers were at one point around 15 points clear of us before they got disgraced every way in Manchester! Did you know or have you forgotten that reality of them being so many points ahead and yet we clawed it back and won the league that season, they lost so many points after a midweek match, and that is a regular enough thing for many sides who try to win in Europe and their home league, no matter how good.
so see little benefit but potential pitfalls in progressing, we lost a lot of points at the start of the season following midweek euro matches. So that's why Burke not to play for me on the slim chance to sign him, as this season and the next 2 are going to require 100% focus in the winning.

Celtic win-10-in-a-row is all
after that another European run and a Cup would be great.

Last edited:
All I am looking for, if my realistic head has sway, is to regain a bit of self respect by not folding. I didn’t expect us to be able to beat them home and certainly not away. But the manner of our capitulation was embarrassing. Only Bain and Sinclair got anywhere near pass marks on a night when the rest, as McGreggir himself stated, went into their shells. Any team can be made to look good if that happens. Do it with a team who are already very good is disastrous.

We need to have a greater level of mental strength in Europe. Too often we collapse to a point where the basics look beyond us. The players need to realise that this does their chances of moving to richer clubs no good. It also puts their future with us in peril because players who continually freeze in Europe are no good to anybody if we want to remove our tag as an easy draw now. For that is what we are. The days of people fearing CP. are gone.

We need to get back to that and the first step has to be a much improved level of performance on Thursday.

I don’t think we have a hope of knocking them out. But by fuck at least throw a punch this time. That’s the least we deserve. Show all those whose season highlights revolve around us getting our arses handed to us that we can play.

Do that and I will be happy. Score a goal and I may get very drunk and sing songs long into the night.

Turn up, get stuck in, play football and have no fucking fear.

Reactions: TET
All I am looking for, if my realistic head has sway, is to regain a bit of self respect by not folding. I didn’t expect us to be able to beat them home and certainly not away. But the manner of our capitulation was embarrassing. Only Bain and Sinclair got anywhere near pass marks on a night when the rest, as McGreggir himself stated, went into their shells. Any team can be made to look good if that happens. Do it with a team who are already very good is disastrous.

We need to have a greater level of mental strength in Europe. Too often we collapse to a point where the basics look beyond us. The players need to realise that this does their chances of moving to richer clubs no good. It also puts their future with us in peril because players who continually freeze in Europe are no good to anybody if we want to remove our tag as an easy draw now. For that is what we are. The days of people fearing CP. are gone.

We need to get back to that and the first step has to be a much improved level of performance on Thursday.

I don’t think we have a hope of knocking them out. But by fuck at least throw a punch this time. That’s the least we deserve. Show all those whose season highlights revolve around us getting our arses handed to us that we can play.

Do that and I will be happy. Score a goal and I may get very drunk and sing songs long into the night.

Turn up, get stuck in, play football and have no fucking fear.

Agree. Throw a fkn punch. Man up. Stake yer pride ffs

Members online

Latest posts

Back