Celtic youth

there aint no street fit ball anymore never mind quality street fitba
there no even very much park football

I mind you used to see works on their lunch having kick about in the wee gravel pitches that were dotted about the place.

big works used to have football leagues

I used to go up and watch Barr and strouds team next to canal grass pitches and standard was pretty decent

barr and stroud moved away from anniesland replaced way giant Morrisons these days

and the grass pitches is now a David Lloyd centre for posh people with mega bucks.

dawsholme park used to have about 8 gravel pitches up near the bin lorry incinerators and was always 2 or 3 games on most nights

I doubt the pitches are even there now.

that was late 80s early 90s and obviously 20 years previous Glasgow was even more football crazy.

lucky if you see anybody with a football outside 5 aside centres

there no even very much park football

I mind you used to see works on their lunch having kick about in the wee gravel pitches that were dotted about the place.

big works used to have football leagues

I used to go up and watch Barr and strouds team next to canal grass pitches and standard was pretty decent

barr and stroud moved away from anniesland replaced way giant Morrisons these days

and the grass pitches is now a David Lloyd centre for posh people with mega bucks.

dawsholme park used to have about 8 gravel pitches up near the bin lorry incinerators and was always 2 or 3 games on most nights

I doubt the pitches are even there now.

that was late 80s early 90s and obviously 20 years previous Glasgow was even more football crazy.

lucky if you see anybody with a football outside 5 aside centres
The games deid, just disnae know it yet:(

The games deid, just disnae know it yet:(
the spirit of game is gone

its just pure scam artistry for cash these days

last time I played 5 asides was 20 years ago or so

cost 10 quid each for an hour.

I remember having better fun for hours round the back of my tenements way sometimes 20 wee dudes everyday

jumpers for posts and wee tourneys for hours after school every day

amazing how fit you are when your wee and dont actually know your fit as feck.

:p

the spirit of game is gone

its just pure scam artistry for cash these days

last time I played 5 asides was 20 years ago or so

cost 10 quid each for an hour.

I remember having better fun for hours round the back of my tenements way sometimes 20 wee dudes everyday

jumpers for posts and wee tourneys for hours after school every day

amazing how fit you are when your wee and dont actually know your fit as feck.

:p
any strip would do

very little sectarianism among the wee yins in skid row back then

that was an adult thing :p

Im no sure our current youth players are good enough to get into first team.

When they play in colt cup tourney they struggle against lower division teams.

I Boli is fish outta water with his experience and fitness I dont think many if any of our young players are ready yet to get more than token match here and there.

Big AJer is miles better than anything we have in youth, and he often gets hard time for odd mistake.

our youth might be better than most

But I dont think any are regular premier league players yet, never mind being cut above premier league talent and ready to challenge for trebles.

if the youth are good enough Lennon has shown he will get them game time.

a few are possibly good enough for game here and there to see if they respond to the big matches

But I honestly dont see any of our youth being better than any of our top team

and our top team needs strengthened in certain areas imo
I agree with the not ready here and now. I am talking about having a team in the lower leagues in order to be given a proper and reasonable chance. There progress can be monitored better, play in a style to that of our main team, and actually getting a game in the green and white for which they signed up for. Of course if they prove good enough to jump up the ladder they will. If they are seemed not good enough to make that jump up as a squad member then let them apply there trade elsewhere. Surely by the time a player is 23 or 24 we will know for sure if he can ever make that step up. And most of all we have given our young players a full and proper chance of making it and chances are the one's who do come through will go on to international level. I still fail to see how it can't be tried and until it is how will we know if it can work. Surely doing something for our young players is better than doing nothing. How can we develop young players properly if they can not get a game anywhere. I still say give our young players a chance with our support

I agree with the not ready here and now. I am talking about having a team in the lower leagues in order to be given a proper and reasonable chance. There progress can be monitored better, play in a style to that of our main team, and actually getting a game in the green and white for which they signed up for. Of course if they prove good enough to jump up the ladder they will. If they are seemed not good enough to make that jump up as a squad member then let them apply there trade elsewhere. Surely by the time a player is 23 or 24 we will know for sure if he can ever make that step up. And most of all we have given our young players a full and proper chance of making it and chances are the one's who do come through will go on to international level. I still fail to see how it can't be tried and until it is how will we know if it can work. Surely doing something for our young players is better than doing nothing. How can we develop young players properly if they can not get a game anywhere. I still say give our young players a chance with our support
I agree and if I was in charge of football

it would be back to 18+ leagues and reserve teams of any club that wants to as well as junior clubs in a pyramid system

even amateur teams allowed to join the pyramid

with reserve teams not allowed to compete in same league as their full team

would mean a bit of organisation to find pyramid structure

at moment most of the professional clubs are better off going full amateur or junior

I agree and if I was in charge of football

it would be back to 18+ leagues and reserve teams of any club that wants to as well as junior clubs in a pyramid system

even amateur teams allowed to join the pyramid

with reserve teams not allowed to compete in same league as their full team

would mean a bit of organisation to find pyramid structure

at moment most of the professional clubs are better off going full amateur or junior
Maybe if and when we come out of this pandemic,there will be a major restructuring of football,and this bending over for sky gold will end,scottish football's usp is 4 league games against the huns! back in the the sixties,with an 18 team league and a vibrant reserve league, teams like kilmarnock,dundee, dunfermline, us and the huns were getting to the latter stages of european tournaments,feck we even beat the world champions in their own midden,their first game after winning the world cup!feckin sfa,decided tae phuq up scottish fitba,because Celtic winning 9 in a row wiz, .......boring! bastaarts 🍺 🥳

It all circles back to investment and funds made available. For that structure there will need to be a lot of guys giving up time to coach for pittance or voluntary.
It would need to be a dedicated massive pool of people to make it work.
Guys wanting to play and dedicate time to live healthy and train to compete at a good level just out of love for the game.
Im not sure that culture exists anymore.
Guys playing lower league colt level won't be able to make enough dough and the commitment to do it once you have done a 40 or 50 hour week at work or trying to study?
It isn't just the best needing to do it. It's all the others that are decent and push them to keep at it to make up the numbers.
Wonder what the total number of all teams registered in Scotland is from 1980 v the start of 2020?
Most lads now struggle to keep a 5s team running long term

Could be wrong,think the rot started settin in wi' comprehensive schools,teachers used tae give up their free time,tae coach the the weans, then they got inundated wi feckin targets,assessments,productivity and all the bureaucratic shite,so that projections and target were met, feck the weans development! jesus ma p.e teacher wiz Derek Whiteford, Airdrie captain,went comprehensive, wooosh, he wiz gone cos pt wiznae a priority! gurrrrr 🍺 🥳

Im no sure our current youth players are good enough to get into first team.

When they play in colt cup tourney they struggle against lower division teams.

I Boli is fish outta water with his experience and fitness I dont think many if any of our young players are ready yet to get more than token match here and there.

Big AJer is miles better than anything we have in youth, and he often gets hard time for odd mistake.

our youth might be better than most

But I dont think any are regular premier league players yet, never mind being cut above premier league talent and ready to challenge for trebles.

if the youth are good enough Lennon has shown he will get them game time.

a few are possibly good enough for game here and there to see if they respond to the big matches

But I honestly dont see any of our youth being better than any of our top team

and our top team needs strengthened in certain areas imo
Aye TET but ye wouldnae be playing 4vor 5 of them in the side , I think welsh is just about there from what I've seen which is very little of course but if when we do get shot of ajer I'd like him to get the chance to compete for his place and he also doesn't have too much bulking up to do hes already quite a solid big bhoy. Especially when you look at johnstone or karamoko, I cant say anything on Harper not seen anything and theres been no reserve games to see so really I'm basing my judgement on welsh from the end of last season this years just dissapeared aw cos this bloody covid19 bah HH ☘

Aye TET but ye wouldnae be playing 4vor 5 of them in the side , I think welsh is just about there from what I've seen which is very little of course but if when we do get shot of ajer I'd like him to get the chance to compete for his place and he also doesn't have too much bulking up to do hes already quite a solid big bhoy. Especially when you look at johnstone or karamoko, I cant say anything on Harper not seen anything and theres been no reserve games to see so really I'm basing my judgement on welsh from the end of last season this years just dissapeared aw cos this bloody covid19 bah HH ☘
And that's the whole point of the colts as well eh so that they get the experience of playing against men , not just other bigger bhoys but experienced players that's mibbess been at the top division level of the game here in their career and are maybe seeing out their career at a lower club level still enjoying their fitba , passing on that experience they have , that game craft is another thing altogether, those players who have lost the speed but still wily crafty players and let the younger boys do the running, something that fitness and youth raw talent alone can be out thought by the older seasoned pros.

I for one would be in total support of our club making a stand by playing our young players that can't get a game in both Cup competitions this season (do not interfere with the possible quad treble) should we lose our winning strick of trophies then so be it. At least we have made a stand and said we value our young players and if the powers to be can't or won't recognise that, well that is there shame not ours.
Talking about the league cup I remember when the English league cup first started to see the likes of man utd and liverpool not playing what youd consider to be a first team but rather it was a mix of fringe players and youngsters and I thought well that is just disrespecting the cup tournament by those clubs but these days I see it from a different angle cos UEFA with all the games they're asking us Scottish and non big 5 league clubs to play on top of a league season with a national cup and a league cup is ridiculous and the spanish, italians done away with it long ago they knew that they would run their players into the ground so I see the logic now in clubs especially the top clubs with the biggest squads giving those youth or fringe players a chance in the league cup early rounds especially when they might be drawn away to lower league opposition but still tough places to go for them as they're not used to being the starting XI team. Liverpool even did it against everton and still won . I didnt and still dont agree with when man utd pulled out of the FA cup to play in that stupid world club cup I do still think the national cup has a place in todays game and I'd even be for the return of the cup winners cup. The UEFA cup place being taken away in some countries and instead going to the highest next placed finish club in the top flight devalued it and I see why as well when you think back to raith rovers being in the second tier of football and playing Bayern Munich it was crazy though even crazier was when they were winning against bayern in their old Olympic stadium haha but it got messed up with the more than 2 clubs per country in the champions league I could just cope with runners up qualifying but not bloody 4 auto places. Of course it's all well and fine for me now as a Celtic supporter to say this about the league cup but it wasnt always so as we all know it was that cup that began our recovery. What sevco hearts Aberdeen and the rest would give for that trophy and not for the 250k or whatever it is now but just to win some silverware but now we as Celtic have to acknowledge also that sometimes it can interfere with our bigger european aspirations but again this is all the terribly poor management and communication between our national , league and European governing bodies do we need an SFA and the spfl? 1 should suffice it's just greed and power. Grr better stop put myself in a mood if I dont 🤬 not been up long enough yet😜

I feel an essay coming on:

21st Century Sport Can Get To Fuck

Back in the early 1970's, the socio-economic model for working men and women was comparable to modern slavery. Wages were pitiful and resources were sub-standard and poor. Sanitation was non-existent and even base utilities, such as gas, electric and clean water had to be used sparingly.

Then there was the wallpaper and carpets????

If anybody wants to know the psychedelic haze of class A drug addiction, then gaze at the sheer horror of 70's wallpaper and carpets for 10 minutes and wonder no more!!!

There were stronger communities back in the 70's, too. Working parents had to depend on non-working neighbours to keep an eye oot for the bairns during school holidays, but mostly the young ones had to learn by their own devices and depend upon their wits and survival instincts. Health & Safety didn't really exist in those days and there was a potential death-trap on every street, park and corner.

The only consistent feature of life in the 70's was the daily mass gathering of doomed youth to form some semblance of a football match on any given spare piece of land. Grass was a luxury, the usual playing surface was concrete, gravel or abandoned buildings.

The age requirements to play in these games varied from 'just-oot-o'-nappies' (and that was optional) right up to 'awa'-to-start-my-apprenticeship-tomorrow'. It was sport based on Darwinian theory, but it passed the time and created some incredibly gifted footballers. If you could avoid a machete attack by mad mick mccutcheon, then the fear posed by a centre-half was somewhat neutralised.

No coaches. No rules. No limits. Sometimes even No ball.

It paved the way for when you did eventually begin playing organised football though.

Even at schools and juvenile level, the level of coaching pretty much depended upon what teacher/parent was the least likely to suffer from regular hangovers. Tactical training was performed by running around the pitch 10 times and fitness training consisted of swiping your Ma' or Da's 10-deck and passing them around the boys (any coos licks resulted in a battering).

It worked though. That environment of playing gave some lads an edge and an ability that would follow them into senior football. These players were wiry and tough as teak and they could adapt to any circumstances.

Back in the 70's and 80's (and for many decades before) school was fucking brutal. Violence was a predictable outcome to the sum of 100% and the teachers were often the worst perpetrators of said violence. Random punches, projectile exocet board dusters, belts soaked in brine and vinegar and halitosis that can knock you sparko from 50-yards. Your fellow pupils were also prone to throwing fists like confetti too and that formed a major part of your football training, if you couldn't punch your way out of trouble then you'd better be able to run like fuck.

By the way........I'm not complaining. I loved those days and would go back in a heartbeat.

And then there's now........the first quarter of the 21st century.

Life is much different now for bairns. Much, much different. They have much more coverage and protection now from physical assault, but the mental assault caused by the internet is relentless. There are still animals, beasts, bullies and negligent parents and adults to deal with, but the means to adapt their survival skills has been stripped away from them due to a soft society which seeks forgiveness and understanding for the perpetrators of violence instead of instant and bloody retribution.

For as much as I wish to be a peaceful man, I don't believe the current system works for kids. They may seem more cosseted and safe, but that's a very flimsy illusion. Sport could provide some form of escape from digital bullying and bastard adults, but the will to participate is not strong. Mobile phones and consoles have become their place of refuge (but not a place of safety). They would rather play football with their fingers than with their feet and even when they do join teams, it's those stupid 4-a-side games with some Primark Pep or Sports Direct Klopp, all iPads, snoods, combat trousers and enough semaphore to redirect air traffic! Talk aboot taking the joy oot the game!

Anyhoo.......I've bored myself into submission again, but the top and bottom line is - bring back the strap!!!

Back in the early 1970's, the socio-economic model for working men and women was comparable to modern slavery. Wages were pitiful and resources were sub-standard and poor. Sanitation was non-existent and even base utilities, such as gas, electric and clean water had to be used sparingly.

If anybody wants to know the psychedelic haze of class A drug addiction, then gaze at the sheer horror of 70's wallpaper and carpets for 10 minutes and wonder no more!!!

There were stronger communities back in the 70's, too. Working parents had to depend on non-working neighbours to keep an eye oot for the bairns during school holidays, but mostly the young ones had to learn by their own devices and depend upon their wits and survival instincts. Health & Safety didn't really exist in those days and there was a potential death-trap on every street, park and corner.

The only consistent feature of life in the 70's was the daily mass gathering of doomed youth to form some semblance of a football match on any given spare piece of land. Grass was a luxury, the usual playing surface was concrete, gravel or abandoned buildings.

The age requirements to play in these games varied from 'just-oot-o'-nappies' (and that was optional) right up to 'awa'-to-start-my-apprenticeship-tomorrow'. It was sport based on Darwinian theory, but it passed the time and created some incredibly gifted footballers. If you could avoid a machete attack by mad mick mccutcheon, then the fear posed by a centre-half was somewhat neutralised.

It paved the way for when you did eventually begin playing organised football though.

Even at schools and juvenile level, the level of coaching pretty much depended upon what teacher/parent was the least likely to suffer from regular hangovers. Tactical training was performed by running around the pitch 10 times and fitness training consisted of swiping your Ma' or Da's 10-deck and passing them around the boys (any coos licks resulted in a battering).

It worked though. That environment of playing gave some lads an edge and an ability that would follow them into senior football. These players were wiry and tough as teak and they could adapt to any circumstances.

Back in the 70's and 80's (and for many decades before) school was fucking brutal. Violence was a predictable outcome to the sum of 100% and the teachers were often the worst perpetrators of said violence. Random punches, projectile exocet board dusters, belts soaked in brine and vinegar and halitosis that can knock you sparko from 50-yards. Your fellow pupils were also prone to throwing fists like confetti too and that formed a major part of your football training, if you couldn't punch your way out of trouble then you'd better be able to run like fuck.

By the way........I'm not complaining. I loved those days and would go back in a heartbeat.

Life is much different now for bairns. Much, much different. They have much more coverage and protection now from physical assault, but the mental assault caused by the internet is relentless. There are still animals, beasts, bullies and negligent parents and adults to deal with, but the means to adapt their survival skills has been stripped away from them due to a soft society which seeks forgiveness and understanding for the perpetrators of violence instead of instant and bloody retribution.

For as much as I wish to be a peaceful man, I don't believe the current system works for kids. They may seem more cosseted and safe, but that's a very flimsy illusion. Sport could provide some form of escape from digital bullying and bastard adults, but the will to participate is not strong. Mobile phones and consoles have become their place of refuge (but not a place of safety). They would rather play football with their fingers than with their feet and even when they do join teams, it's those stupid 4-a-side games with some Primark Pep or Sports Direct Klopp, all iPads, snoods, combat trousers and enough semaphore to redirect air traffic! Talk aboot taking the joy oot the game!

Anyhoo.......I've bored myself into submission again, but the top and bottom line is - bring back the strap!!!
No SP not the fuckin strap! Loved your picture of the 70s and accepted violence but it was also a horrible time for many and the consequences as always are felt for many generations to come. Like we learned from grandparents for whom life was cheap, death was everywhere, food was a luxury and violence often a necessity. I hope we moved on from there. Anyway I am rambling and should really stay away from these machines so on a slightly lighter note
My favourite memories are all of lads telling the teacher tae fuck off wi his belt and come outside furra square go. That always got the class going and the teacher less willing to act the hard man wi everybody else because you would remind him of that day he had to call for reinforcements 😂
And by the way everyone I have absolutely no idea how to sort out Scottish fitba or NL's selection dilemma regarding young players. Sorry😔

Brilliant SP ,HH

Mark Wotte, brought in to revolutionise Scottish football,check the dates,what is commonly known as the clusterphuq years,the precursor to Malky and 'operation brave'
From wikipedia
Scottish FA
Wotte was named as the first Performance Director and Technical Director of National Teams of the Scottish Football Association (SFA) on 23 June 2011.[7] Wotte left the SFA in October 2014, having implemented most of the recommendations of a review conducted by Henry McLeish.[8][9]

🍺 🥳

These were later withdrawen an the excuse would be that they would be implemented at a later date

I agree with the not ready here and now. I am talking about having a team in the lower leagues in order to be given a proper and reasonable chance.

This idea was floated and it was rejected why? well junior teams wanted in ,lower league teams wanted to keep there funding and not share it with any new comers ,

feck the increase in crowds that would mean an increase in costs /safety certificates ,police costs /parking

if stenhousemuir only buy 86 pies then they won't be buying anymore than that so it became a non starter the bowling club syndrome kicked in andbecame a shut shop if you have a look at what the handouts they get and what they actually invest at grassroots level it's shocking

without the cash divid up by the league these clubs would go under ,,,

and thatis the real problem in Scottish football lower league clubs sucking the life out of Scottish football and offering nothing in return , the cash would be better used to develop youth league systems

The english fa made sure everyclub outwith the epl all got millions in funding for youth development they structured payments every year and structured leagues through every age group

They invested big money in there academys and sports science and every 5 yrs the funding is under review , some of the championship clubs have better training infastructure for there youths and on a level with ajax have

Scottish fa got us Sponsership from roddy mcdonald and that's it ,a couple of bibs an astro turf 5s pitch for a photoshop and an alky twat like mcleish rolled out every year to tell us how great were doing

Get rid of the masonic cabal running scottish football into the ground ,,,, then football would have a future ,,,,,Barry Hearn the boxing promoter summed it up within a day of being in the sfa's company

a shambless were his words

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Back