Craig Gordon

Big Packie, came to my primary school and i remember thinking just how lovely he spoke, not what he said because it was nice, but his accent.

Lovely man and even nicer considering my primary was in the bronx of coatbridge lol
Met him a few times, first in centre of castlemanky round '90 giving out trophies to children. Must've been a million things better to do on Sunday morning but he was gracious, polite and a wonderful gentleman. A credit to Celtic Football Club. Remember his hands were huge like shovels an aw ? I'll stick up for Packie anywhere, watched him every week. Many a nite in pubs, especially in Ireland oddly enuf, having to preach the truth of how good a keeper he was. He fucked up big time in two world cups n that seems to stick in peoples minds. Remind everyone of the save against Romania too lol A true Celtic legend ?

Met him a few times, first in centre of castlemanky round '90 giving out trophies to children. Must've been a million things better to do on Sunday morning but he was gracious, polite and a wonderful gentleman. A credit to Celtic Football Club. Remember his hands were huge like shovels an aw ? I'll stick up for Packie anywhere, watched him every week. Many a nite in pubs, especially in Ireland oddly enuf, having to preach the truth of how good a keeper he was. He fucked up big time in two world cups n that seems to stick in peoples minds. Remind everyone of the save against Romania too lol A true Celtic legend ?
Maestro, a friend and I were discussing the merits of the big man and that World Cup in 90 this morning.

Packy turned his back in 88, he was in agony in the build up to 90 and nearly didn't make it.

If you check the goal against the Italians, Packy overcompensated because of his back and out balanced himself.

The fact that he played on as long as he did tells you all you need to know about a true great.

From 84 -88, I reckon he was the best keeper in world football.

Thats mental, i remember those hands too.

Mine was so small in his.

He really is a lovely man.

I remember thinking how charitable he was too, tbh that is the Celtic Way and a lot of our bhoys do amazing charity and well meaning work.

True charity goes without photo ops.

It was actually quite a good save against the Tally's in '90, shot swerved like a bastirt n he managed to push it away to the side, pity that bugger Schillachi was still there to put it in. Mexico was just just a big lapse in concentration n taking his eye off the ball, probably looking for guys to pass it too after he caught it. It was an horrendous error tho in such a big tournament. He did do some howlers for us as well but the length of time he was between the sticks and the consistency of his performances its a bit understandable. Got lists of games in me head of just outstanding, natural saves time n time again, most involve hearts n hibs for sum reason lol
Voted the sexiest man in Ireland too!!!
A legend in lots of ways ?

It was actually quite a good save against the Tally's in '90, shot swerved like a bastirt n he managed to push it away to the side, pity that bugger Schillachi was still there to put it in. Mexico was just just a big lapse in concentration n taking his eye off the ball, probably looking for guys to pass it too after he caught it. It was an horrendous error tho in such a big tournament. He did do some howlers for us as well but the length of time he was between the sticks and the consistency of his performances its a bit understandable. Got lists of games in me head of just outstanding, natural saves time n time again, most involve hearts n hibs for sum reason lol

When he's commentating on matches on Radio Scotland, he's about the only objective person there. A truthful and honest man, and that's a rarity in the meeja.

My abiding memory was his first couple of seasons and saving penalties for fun.

He used to wear the Uhlsport gloves and I nabbled like a bastard at the berries to get a pair.

£40 in 1982

Right the only keeper I can think of bar Billy Thomson and McAlpine at United around that time was Scott Thomson (I was only 9 in '85 mind you) and he wasn't til 87 ish I think, so if you are not him I'll let you keep your anonymity and sleep on it :)
If you got one of those 4 by 4 contracts you must have been well chuffed!
Wee jum collected keepers for fun.

For the record, Scott Thompson was by far the best keeper they had and an absolute gentleman.

Far too intelligent and sensible for a goalkeeper though.

At one point, he had Hamish, John Gardener, Scotty, Alan Main and Billy Thompson all on the books.

All decent enough boys, but 5 into 1 doesn't go. JG went to Aberdeen and ST was far too opinionated for jum. Alan Main stole my bird when I went down south, but he gets a pass on that because I'd got married by the time I found out.
Scott Thompson was brilliant for Forfar (only bettered by the amazing Stewart Kennedy - ex-Rangers, I know). He went the way of Craig Brewster signing for Raith. That is brilliant company you kept, so must have been high quality!

Scott Thompson was brilliant for Forfar (only bettered by the amazing Stewart Kennedy - ex-Rangers, I know). He went the way of Craig Brewster signing for Raith. That is brilliant company you kept, so must have been high quality!
Nah, I was their bootcleaner and glovewasher.

ST was a proper fella though, BB. No ego just a decent boy.

I mind him going to Forfar, I think he went up just before they signed Stewart Petrie and Craig (who had both been at United).

Craig was a quiet lad and McLean hammered him because he used to make his son look like a lemon.

Petty, petty man

Nah, I was their bootcleaner and glovewasher.

ST was a proper fella though, BB. No ego just a decent boy.

I mind him going to Forfar, I think he went up just before they signed Stewart Petrie and Craig (who had both been at United).

Craig was a quiet lad and McLean hammered him because he used to make his son look like a lemon.

Petty, petty man
I was at Dundee Uni with twins who were best pals with Craig and they told me how McLean stitched up Brewster. Fecking awful. Then a few years later Hegarty fecked him off so Farfir lost a stupid amount of money.

Glad ST was as decent as I hoped he was.

I also love Gordon and would try my best to hang onto him despite his age. For too long we've struggled with keepers (while they seemed to excel in good keepers to break our hearts) so to have 2 excellent goalies is a luxury we need in this day and age. I'd still choose Bain for his distribution but Gordon is a phenomenal shot stopper.

I was at Dundee Uni with twins who were best pals with Craig and they told me how McLean stitched up Brewster. Fecking awful. Then a few years later Hegarty fecked him off so Farfir lost a stupid amount of money.

Glad ST was as decent as I hoped he was.

I also love Gordon and would try my best to hang onto him despite his age. For too long we've struggled with keepers (while they seemed to excel in good keepers to break our hearts) so to have 2 excellent goalies is a luxury we need in this day and age. I'd still choose Bain for his distribution but Gordon is a phenomenal shot stopper.
I liked Heggie (and he was a closet Tim too, so was Davie Narey), but he was a total yes man and if jum put the word out to screw with someone they all took his lead.

Talk aboot ruling by fear.

Couldn't agree more about both keepers, BB. I think there's a place for both of them and competition for places is never a bad thing.

Members online

Latest posts

Back