Doncaster and his "fantastic " TV deals Viaplay going under.

Yes mate ....not bt sports tho except when we are in Europe (I've nothing against fire sticks etc as it's expensive) my argument is tho that we moan about TV deal but we get what we are worth sadly and it's not alot....if they start showing more live games at Celtic park and Ibrox that would help....anyone who turns on TV and it's a quarter full McDiarmid park are not watching that game (outwith fans of Scottish football)....check the social media followers for example of teams in England and it dwarfs us and rangers ....it's mad world but sadly Celtic and rangers can't compete with the football following of the English league
So if im following your argument correctly, there will be an equal amount, percentage wise, watching the EPL on sticks an boxes, than we have watching the SPFL.
I used to go to Lanzarote a lot. I went in a bar that showed ALL the games, he had every game you wanted to watch. So I asked him, how much does that cost you?
He just laughed, absolutely nothing pal, just the cost of the wifi.

So if im following your argument correctly, there will be an equal amount, percentage wise, watching the EPL on sticks an boxes, than we have watching the SPFL.
I used to go to Lanzarote a lot. I went in a bar that showed ALL the games, he had every game you wanted to watch. So I asked him, how much does that cost you?
He just laughed, absolutely nothing pal, just the cost of the wifi.
Yes probably same pub I visited too the auld triangle....there would be equal amount ofcourse but they have millions watching the english games so they still make massive money we don't have millions watching us ....they would make even more if it wasn't for boxes and sticks (plus they sell the rights to nearly every country in the world we don't).....over seas most support clubs use Celtic TV and if we have the numbers some people think watching our games abroad then club would be rich

Tottenham for example has a bigger social media following than every club in Scotland put together including Celtic and rangers ....as I've said English league is absolutely massive ....work with loads of guys from Aberdeen and at least 50 percent of them follow man utd or other team in England before Aberdeen

I think we all appreciate that compared to England we are small fry. They have become a monster precisely because of the grotesque tv deals they get awarded.

The vast majority of firestick users did handover huge amounts of money to the tv providers and got treated with nothing but contempt. So they maybe aren't helping the issues these days, but they have in the past.

The problem I have isn't by comparing our tv deals with the English one but when it is compared to other countries of similar sizes but without the footballing history of our nation. I think they are very poor and yes, we can do much much better (and yes, I do negotiate contracts for a living).

Yes probably same pub I visited too the auld triangle....there would be equal amount ofcourse but they have millions watching the english games so they still make massive money we don't have millions watching us ....they would make even more if it wasn't for boxes and sticks (plus they sell the rights to nearly every country in the world we don't).....over seas most support clubs use Celtic TV and if we have the numbers some people think watching our games abroad then club would be rich
You miss my point.
The point is, they are out of Sky or anyones juristiction, or its not enforced.
over here, if a boozer is caught showing games on a stick, they are massively fined, usually leading to closure.

Look, we live in a digital age, theres always round things. I could sign up to CelticTv, hide my IP address using a VPN, and a non Uk bank account, and watch all the games semi-legal without fear (at home of course).
Sky is a rip off to me. They show adverts during their channels and shows, maximising their income, unlike, say Netflix, apple, where you dont get adverts.

Do you work for them btw?

I think we all appreciate that compared to England we are small fry. They have become a monster precisely because of the grotesque tv deals they get awarded.
The EPL has become a monster and a threat to ALL leagues in Europe (imho) thats why the Super league took legs as an idea. Greedy business men want a slice of that pie.
I cant be arsed even watching the greedy cunts that play the game down here anymore.
I'd rather be us.

The vast majority of firestick users did handover huge amounts of money to the tv providers and got treated with nothing but contempt. So they maybe aren't helping the issues these days, but they have in the past.

The problem I have isn't by comparing our tv deals with the English one but when it is compared to other countries of similar sizes but without the footballing history of our nation. I think they are very poor and yes, we can do much much better (and yes, I do negotiate contracts for a living).
I would need to see the maths first before I could comment ....for every guy with a subscription I know 5 with a stick..so unless we have a TV company willing to give us extra cash and willing to lose money then I think sky is best deal we could get it not I'm sure we would have got a different deal from someone else....I only mentioned England because someone else used it as part of the debate

You miss my point.
The point is, they are out of Sky or anyones juristiction, or its not enforced.
over here, if a boozer is caught showing games on a stick, they are massively fined, usually leading to closure.

Look, we live in a digital age, theres always round things. I could sign up to CelticTv, hide my IP address using a VPN, and a non Uk bank account, and watch all the games semi-legal without fear (at home of course).
Sky is a rip off to me. They show adverts during their channels and shows, maximising their income, unlike, say Netflix, apple, where you dont get adverts.

Do you work for them btw?
No I don't work for sky ...just making valid points we have fans who moan about TV deals and don't pay anything towards the TV deal ....the TV deal is best we could get unless we have a company willing to lose money ...nothing against people with sticks as I've said but don't then moan about the TV deal....take away Celtic and rangers the league is at a poor standard with shocking crowds.....teams like Killie should make staduims smaller so it doesn't look as bad on TV would be a start...... England will get fucked too at some point ....BT was better than sky for Scotland but they left as it wasn't worth it for them money wise

I
Tottenham for example has a bigger social media following than every club in Scotland put together including Celtic and rangers ....as I've said English league is absolutely massive ....work with loads of guys from Aberdeen and at least 50 percent of them follow man utd or other team in England before Aberdeen
I've been following this thread with some interest, tommybhoy: I think you make some very valid points.

I've said on here, a few times now, that if it wasn't for my hopeless addiction to Celtic, I really couldn't be bothered watching Scottish Football.

I actually believe it's more of a hard sell than we as supporters realise. Celtic as a club, as we all know, has a huge global following. That is beyond dispute. I think though, that following has been handed down from generation to generation. it's a family thing which has been handed down, and survived the test of both time and distance.

Folk from a Celtic background, and who have left these shores ( Scotland and Ireland, mostly ) have kept what is almost indefinable affinity with what really is a unique football club.

Alas, we play in a very poor ( and for most folk outside these shores, unattractive league ) . This, for me makes it a hard sell .

On personal note: I absolutely detest Rupert Murdoch and everything he stands for. I'd rather watch a blank screen than contribute to his vile empire.

Our new deal with sky is £30 million a year and let's teams stream 5 home games that are not selected from sky (starting 2024) ....tbh that's a good deal ....and if Celtic fans who don't make games all pay for ppv for they 5 games then club can make more millions (that won't happen tho as the 5 games will be watched on boxes or sticks but that's fine too) we can't have it both ways tho watching it on sticks and club making more cash on TV ......one thing thay is wrong is pubs using dodgy sticks as they make money when they show Celtic games so they should pay Celtic they money that they are due (if it's on Celtic TV)that most pubs in Spain use for Celtic games that are not on sky

I

I've been following this thread with some interest, tommybhoy: I think you make some very valid points.

I've said on here, a few times now, that if it wasn't for my hopeless addiction to Celtic, I really couldn't be bothered watching Scottish Football.

I actually believe it's more of a hard sell than we as supporters realise. Celtic as a club, as we all know, has a huge global following. That is beyond dispute. I think though, that following has been handed down from generation to generation. it's a family thing which has been handed down, and survived the test of both time and distance.

Folk from a Celtic background, and who have left these shores ( Scotland and Ireland, mostly ) have kept what is almost indefinable affinity with what really is a unique football club.

Alas, we play in a very poor ( and for most folk outside these shores, unattractive league ) . This, for me makes it a hard sell .

On personal note: I absolutely detest Rupert Murdoch and everything he stands for. I'd rather watch a blank screen than contribute to his vile empire.
Agreed Murdoch is a prick (I sound like a prick too on this debate too 🤣)....I argued for years about this in Scotland favour but a work away from home and when a few English and Canadian guys showed me stats etc i then admitted I was wrong ......if Ross county are playing Hibs on sky not many will watch not even fans of teams in Scotland (if any team in England are on live sky most of all the other teams fans watch the game) that's the difference.....

Look, if it was up to SKY they would only buy The Celtic and therangers games, they're not interested in any other games.
We need grassroots football, we, as a club, need a strong league, WE, need compitition to make us better. Fitba, as a whole, needs it. No matter what league it is. Where are our players of tomorrow going to come from?
Grass roots fiba is thriving in Englandshire, despite Sky.
An its got fuck all to do with boxes or sticks, its about the dream.

Last edited:
Look, if it was up to SKY they would only buy The Celtic and therangers games, they're not interested in any other games.
We need grassroots football, we, as a club, need a stronge league, WE, need compitition to make us better. Fitba, as a whole, needs it. No matter what league it is. Where are our players of tomorrow going to come from?
Grass roots fiba is thriving in Englandshire, despite Sky.
An its got fuck all to do with boxes or sticks, its about the dream.
Agreed we need stronger competition....as I've said on here in the past winning trebles are great for us but bad for the league ....players want to play in league that's competitive....I have no idea how to fix the grassroot problem

Agreed we need stronger competition....as I've said on here in the past winning trebles are great for us but bad for the league ....players want to play in league that's competitive....I have no idea how to fix the grassroot problem
We should make no apologies for being at the top of the totem pole. Against all odds they tried to keep us down, we had our barren spells, we played by the rules. We came close to bankruptcy, we survived. We still play by the rules. We're at the top of the food chain, in Scotland, at least.
Hopefully, we can do better in Europe, this time. HH.

Celtic are worldwide but our viewing figures are no where near a match for any game in English premier League not even close mate......if Tottenham are playing west ham for example supporters from all the other teams still watch that game .... sure the average Scottish game is just over 250 thousand ...English league will be in the millions.....just checked according to figures online more people watch English football in America alone than Scotland gets figures worldwide ....Celtic are a massive club definitely support clubs all over the globe but the English league is absolutely huge (I hate the English league) even in Ireland that has been a Celtic stronghold from the beginning has just as many or even more epl supporters now especially in the south .....Celtic Vs Liverpool in Dublin was 80 percent Liverpool...same as when we played them in Boston too
The marketing of our league is the problem, not just Doncaster and Co the boards of Celtic and our ugly town mates are at fault... They dont want home games put on TV against the lower league teams for fear of losing fans attending in person... Imho they miss a great opportunity here....

Taking your figures at face value mate and it looks like more people watch the EPL, but do these figures include supporters clubs with Hundreds watching, I've been to a few places in my time and have never came across a spurs or west ham club, but I've seen plenty and know of plenty more throughout the world of Celtic clubs...

I still reckon that worldwide more people watch Celtic than 90% of Premier league teams..

I was involved with running and management of a "grassroots" team for a number of years, a lot of the problems stem from facilities for teams to train and play, along now with costs, to hire a pitch from the council these days for youths to play on is a tidy wee sum, so getting the costs cut and also allowing kids to play football rather than sticking no ball games signs up everywhere would be a start...

And winning trebles brings publicity to the league, so it cant be all bad imho...

I was involved with running and management of a "grassroots" team for a number of years, a lot of the problems stem from facilities for teams to train and play, along now with costs, to hire a pitch from the council these days for youths to play on is a tidy wee sum, so getting the costs cut and also allowing kids to play football rather than sticking no ball games signs up everywhere would be a start...

And winning trebles brings publicity to the league, so it cant be all bad imho...
Very true 50, everywhere I played football when I was young now has houses built on it. The last time I played 5 a side indoors it cost us £70 for an hour. You never see bairns playing football in the schemes these days. Every bit o grass had wee guys playing football back then. We played football all summer. One ball kept 20 wee guys entertained for a whole summer. Back then we qualified for World Cups, 74, 78, 82, 86, 90.

Very true 50, everywhere I played football when I was young now has houses built on it. The last time I played 5 a side indoors it cost us £70 for an hour. You never see bairns playing football in the schemes these days. Every bit o grass had wee guys playing football back then. We played football all summer. One ball kept 20 wee guys entertained for a whole summer. Back then we qualified for World Cups, 74, 78, 82, 86, 90.
Both yourself and 50 make terrific points, Richybhoy
The collapse of youth football is indeed a major contributor to the demise of what was once a conveyor belt of outstanding talent.

Like yourself and most other working class kids, my world revolved around kicking a ball ' up the park ', or indeed in the street.

10 halftime 21 the game was the order of the day. Quite often three times a day.
So yes, the loss of what was in effect intrinsically part of the lives of working class youth, is probably impossible to quantify.

I think it goes much deeper though. We've all heard the arguments: societal changes, computer games, lack of parent/teacher involvement etc etc.

I think we've witnessed a tsunami of change affecting almost every aspect of life. King Canute would struggle to reverse them.

We should make no apologies for being at the top of the totem pole. Against all odds they tried to keep us down, we had our barren spells, we played by the rules. We came close to bankruptcy, we survived. We still play by the rules. We're at the top of the food chain, in Scotland, at least.
Hopefully, we can do better in Europe, this time. HH.

Totally agree with the grassroots part definitely.....trebles are good for Celtic fans but not good for league as it's not competive and not good for the players who want to have a challenge....obv a want us to win every cup going.....

Members online

Latest posts

Back