European Super League

Fisiani

Life is change. Change is a part of life and what happened in the past need not happen in the future. The new 60 team ESL proposal if agreed will change European football immensely. The idea of just 20 teams was roundly rejected and the idea of permanent membership was derided. This is a very different proposal with some merit. It might progress. I would imagine that it would be three divisions of 20 teams. Realistically we would be in Div3 in the first season along with Sevco. We would still compete at home and our squad can cope. The Scottish league would be more even.
Be honest
Would you rather play Livingston or Ajax?
St Mirren or St Etienne?
Dundee United or Dusseldorf?
Football is more than a game. It's a business. This is a business plan for European football. There are advantages and disadvantages like in most things, but change is needed. The games would not have Masonic referees. We would make more money and we would be challenged.
It's a possible future?........

Food for thought there Doc. Non biased match officials would be desirable but I’m wary of business men telling us what’s best for football.
Not opposed to change but any change should be fan led or at least fan approved. A wise man once said “football without fans is nothing”.
20 team league, play each other home and away in 38 games. How many people could afford to attend 19 away European games per season?

Always good to keep an open mind doc. For me, unfortunately the game just seems so skewed/ corrupt. The big hitters, cash/debt wise, just want more money. I don’t entirely blame them, UEFA have been milking every last millilitre from the football cash cow. Aka US the fans.

Food for thought there Doc. Non biased match officials would be desirable but I’m wary of business men telling us what’s best for football.
Not opposed to change but any change should be fan led or at least fan approved. A wise man once said “football without fans is nothing”.
20 team league, play each other home and away in 38 games. How many people could afford to attend 19 away European games per season?
The latest very vague suggestion is for 60 to 80 teams playing a minimum of 14 games (then presumably play-offs). The teams would still play in their own domestic leagues and every club would have to qualify each season.

From that 8 leagues of 8 playing each other home and away with the top 2 from each forming a last 16 knock-out tournament seems most logical to me - I suggested this many years ago to increase the clubs benefitting from the ridiculous income from the Champions League to close the gap a wee bit.

This ESL project has a lot more merit than the failed one. There is a mood for change and change will inevitably happen. Perhaps not this one. This is just an initial proposal and not the finished project. 60 teams might easily morph to 80 or even 100 teams if it is allowed and starts being planned. Get used to change. I used to play cassettes and CD's. Not any more.
Ross County or Roma?
Kilmarnock or Inter Milan?
Motherwell or Chelsea?
Football should aim for excellence and Scottish football is NOT excellent. It's a two horse race.
Bridie Bhoy's idea of the chance to play the best in Europe is exciting. Get over the idea of not being able to go to away games. I cannot even attend the home games. The games will be televised. The future is unknown but I suspect the time for such change has come.

This ESL project has a lot more merit than the failed one. There is a mood for change and change will inevitably happen. Perhaps not this one. This is just an initial proposal and not the finished project. 60 teams might easily morph to 80 or even 100 teams if it is allowed and starts being planned. Get used to change. I used to play cassettes and CD's. Not any more.
Ross County or Roma?
Motherwell or Chelsea?
Football should aim for excellence and Scottish football is NOT excellent. It's a two horse race.
Bridie Bhoy's idea of the chance to play the best in Europe is exciting. Get over the idea of not being able to go to away games. I cannot even attend the home games. The games will be televised. The future is unknown but I suspect the time for such change has come.
Even if the Super League(s) run in parallel with domestic matches, I can still see a time when these leagues may merge to create multi-nation domestic leagues.

Similar to the Atlantic League discussed 20 odd years ago (say the top teams from Scotland, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Norway & Sweden or how about an Iberian League or Alpine League?). It would get domestic leagues away from being dominated by 2 or 3 big clubs - how would their fans take it only winning the league once or twice a decade instead of 6 or 7 times?

Something will change as most European clubs are fed up of the English clubs having so much spending power due to so much foreign investment.

Sadly it is all about money money money. Greed has ruined the sport and many of these mega-rich clubs are actually drowning in massive amounts of debt in order to steal the best players that they really cannot afford to win trophies instead of the clubs that are being run responsibly.

In the past the top 100 players in Europe were probably spread amongst 30 odd clubs. Clubs would only have had less than 4 superstars and the rest of their small squads made up of decent players. This started to change in the late 80s/early 90s when Italian clubs started poaching stars. Nowadays 90%+ of the top superstars are concentrated in a handful of clubs, with some of these top top players not even getting a lot of gametime!

In North America, travel is a huge part of the various leagues
Teams fly 4,000 miles to play then have 4-5 'Road games' where they fly or bus to cities on the east coast, before coming home
The MLS, (Canadian and US teams) NHL, (Canadian and US teams) NFL, US only, NBA (Canad/US) and the games are televised so you don't miss anything
European Super League, sounds good to me

HH

Last edited:
Would you want to watch 8 leagues of 8 teams playing h and a in Europe with the top two going into a last 16 knockout round. Or would you prefer Celtic v Morton or Celtic v Livingston.
No Masonic refs in Europe. No more soft penalties for Sevco.
TV wants it. Fans want it and if the Court agrees it is lawful then watch out.

Of course change is inevitable and in the right context and environment it can be beneficial.
You only have to look at the women's game and its rise in the last 5 years to see it has advanced for the good.
However be careful what you wish for ...I for one would watch Celtic in any circumstance be that pre season friendly , on tour domestically or in Europe and it is that variety that is more than enough for me.
But I don't think you should lose sight of tradition and your bread and butter ...talk of Aberdeen or Atletico etc on a weekly basis is pie in the sky imo as the logistics just don't work for the average weekly purse.
Don't know about anyone else but I stopped watching the EPL a long time ago as I don't see footballers playing in a team anymore... rather it's a bunch of multi millionaires meeting up to have a kick about and have no heart or conscience about the result.
The greed of all the clubs in these so called big leagues is there for all to see and the supporters are fleeced both at the turnstile and through the media platforms to televise the live games.
Yes we are stuck with medoioctry at times but we still have on average better attendances than most of these English European teams including clubs managing Financially within their means with the exception of one scummy club.
The change that needs to happen is proper financial jurisdiction on all of football. It won't happen of course as corruption and greed are King.
So all change is not so good and sometimes you don't realise what you've got until it's gone. Yes I know cheating refs corrupt authorities etc but that hasn't stopped us and has if anything given us more joy with our incredible success over adversity.
I'm certainly for a fairer crack at European football and a different format but not at the expense of our domestic bread and butter roots.

Ross County or Roma?
Motherwell or Chelsea?
It’s all sounds brilliant yes change should happen but as others have said FAN led.
This reeks of the one thing no one is saying
Let’s clear the Debts of Barca/RMadtud and Juventus.
You keep fixating on what do you prefer well
Celtic v Bayern then Livingston at the plazzy pitch
Real Madturd v Celtic then home agin the Killies
We still play games yes some with real mibbs but then we come home to Clancy Collum Cheaty cheaty beaty
Then your saying fans can watch on Telly well we’re doing that already in Europe
And if this takes off these league games in This new super League and we have our own league games
Do we still qualify for the CL and Europa league as well because I don’t think UEFA are gonna lie down
So that’s 38 SPFL games
14 Super league games
European games
FIFA qualification games Wurld and Euro
League Cup games
Scottish cup games.
And a partridge in the physio room
This is pie in the SKY they’ll rig the fuck out of it the Original 20 Teams will be in the Top Division then after half the games are played oops we forgot there’s no Relegation for 3 years in the top division
And the rest will fight over the scraps.
This is all to give the Top Teams the billions
It always has been and always will be.
And Finally these pipe dream leagues need fans to fleece and Telly packages which will have no trace of the world wide hardships that most fans face to Feed, Heat or pay bills So again the working class game now becomes the Billionaires real TOY
Some will want this I Don’t

HH🙁

Hi Fisiani your correct about the SPFL being a Twa 🐎 race it is
EPFL 3/4 four club race
Spain 2 🐎 race
France 1 🐎 race
Germany 1🐎race
Italy2/3 🐎race
Holland 2🐎race
Belgium 1/2 🐎race
Most of the leagues in Europe are the same
And one more thing in the SPFL the games I watch and I watch a few of them not just Celtic to me are more entertaining than most if not all the EPL games
I watched Spurs Man City game it was pish
As have been most of the games from that league to be fair though I watch a load of German football games and they’re far superior than any Premier league games the skill level’s and passion are to me a joy
To see.
For me it’s Passion and joy I get that at Celtic Park when I can go
TV is ok but screaming at the cat when Ma team scores isn’t the same as being there
I know nothing does. Imo

HH 🍀

Some great posts here , knowledgeable on the pros and cons of both sides.

UEFA are trying to get ahead of the curve with the restructuring of the champions league, Europa league and the conference league changing to what would be a super league of sorts.
They aren't going to lie down as jammy and mag7 mentioned they will fight this all the way, and we get more games either way.

It is worth remembering that, again as previously mentioned, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus turned to the bigger supported clubs like Celtic, Sevco, Benfica, Shalke and the rest after the first ESL based upon the riches of the top 5 leagues was binned for fear of repercussions.

If its truly to happen then it would have to be on merit of the size of the club not just the amount of cash in the bank.

Cash in the bank regardless of how much support a club has is the main driving force behind this of course.

Whichever clubs take part won't be able to compete in UEFAs competitions and this is where the true division and argument stems from,
who is going to be the power over this new tournament?

UEFA have brought this situation upon themselves by allowing English clubs to bring in ridiculous amounts of cash it's unfairly financially doped clubs like Bournemouth, Brentford and Brighton etc to have more pulling power than clubs who could fit all three into their stadium's.

Whether or not UEFA have done enough to include the real massive clubs in time to stop them jumping ship remains to be seen.

It will make them think more about the true behemoth clubs in future , television ratings are one thing and being an EPL club another with the amount of money those clubs have access to but at the end of the day bums on seats will always win out.

Its the reason why Celtic, Schalke and Benfica and clubs this scale are being consulted, no matter what happens these clubs will sell out stadiums regardless of which tournament they're playing in.

I have the feeling that UEFA have restructured just in the nick of time to stave off this breakaway.

If the clubs who are the true giants of European football are happy with this new look European format financially then the ESL will have a tough time getting off the ground.

Should also be remembered that UEFA also hold the power over domestic leagues and may not allow any of its association members to take part in its domestic tournaments should they breakaway.

The new European structure was ushered in very quickly by UEFA after the last super league attempt, it might yet be enough to appease the 3 instigating clubs.

Last edited:
How would joining this ESL work then?
I presume the whole of the Scottish Premiership would get to vote as I take it the top 2 from our domestic set up would qualify and we can't arrogantly presume it will be just Us and them who claim those 2 positions every year?
Or would it be by invitation?
Just say we rejected it and the Huns didn't. They would be on the financial gravy train and we are still in the paupers Scottish Premiership picking up 3.5m assuming we win it, that could even shrink if Sky lower their tv rights money.
The Huns would jump at it as they know they will be playing 2nd fiddle to us for the foreseeable future.
So in order for the rest of the Clubs in the SP to vote for it there would have to be some kind of financial reward for them to allow that to happen, I can't see them voting for us to get even richer while there is no benefit to them. Its a non-starter in that respect imho.

All these proposals for a European Super League are not for clubs like ours,if you think that you are as gullible as a hun.what these are for , are your Barca or Real Madrid's to get more money. These teams who are hundreds of millions in debt because they have been living beyond their means for years and UEFA have been bending over backwards to allow them.
Now with new Financial rules in play with UEFA, these clubs will now not be able to buy squad players for £80m & give them £300k a week wages. I feel so sorry for them.
Let them have their own competition & let's see how long it is before they all go bust owning billions

Would you want to watch 8 leagues of 8 teams playing h and a in Europe with the top two going into a last 16 knockout round. Or would you prefer Celtic v Morton or Celtic v Livingston.
No Masonic refs in Europe. No more soft penalties for Sevco.
TV wants it. Fans want it and if the Court agrees it is lawful then watch out.
Not all fans the last one died a painful fast death by the outcry created by FANS
And I’m sure that a court has already declared that Uefa are correct when they killed it last time
The same thing is happening in Golf Saudi washed oil money is trying to run Golf for the top players and to hell with the rest.
I’m sure this will be the same outcome in football this will mean you buy the hottest players from the weakest at the lowest price most clubs will stop academy type set ups as the Man City model will just hoover up the best young talent as is happening with us Doak to Liverpool and the youngsters to Bayern
We would be feeder club nothing more
And when TV gets involved there will be four/five companies all with rights
So a bit like now
Premier/Viaplay SKY BT Amazon and that’s just in the Uk there will be companies all wanting a slice and mugs paying what they tell you your paying
Yes this sounds like a great idea mm
NAW

HH 🙁

Back