Favourite Celtic Goal?

I don't think it was Roy Barrie, for he joined them subsequently. I think he was playing for Hearts at that time. I have clear memories of the first two goals, particularly the first for it was scored at my end, but for McNeill's goal, I was away at the top of the East Terracing and couldn't have told you clearly who scored. I thought it might have been Tommy Gemmell because of the similar hair colour, but my father and others kept saying "Billy McNeill! Billy McNeill!" and of course, like you I enjoyed looking at all the pictures of it. I was 16 at the time, and frankly, it changed my life.
My favourite goal also. My first cup final and the first game I went to on my own. I was in the schoolboys enclosure in the South stand. An outstanding goal to win the cup but who could have imagined it was the start of something so wonderful with big Jock.

I don't think it was Roy Barrie, for he joined them subsequently. I think he was playing for Hearts at that time. I have clear memories of the first two goals, particularly the first for it was scored at my end, but for McNeill's goal, I was away at the top of the East Terracing and couldn't have told you clearly who scored. I thought it might have been Tommy Gemmell because of the similar hair colour, but my father and others kept saying "Billy McNeill! Billy McNeill!" and of course, like you I enjoyed looking at all the pictures of it. I was 16 at the time, and frankly, it changed my life.
For the past 53 years I thought it was him, if there is anyone old enough and can remember who that defender was.

The Dunfermline team was Herriot, W Callaghan and Lunn; Thomson, McLean and T Callaghan; Edwards, Smith, McLaughlin, Melrose and Sinclair. I suspect the defender may have been John Lunn, although maybe Jim McLean (not the Dundee United man, but another one!) DP

I've had another look at the photo. No 2 standing on the line is Willie Callaghan, brother of Tom who of course joined us a few years later. DP

Hesselink in the 94th minute of the 2-1 game - not the best actual goal but what a feelin, one minute the league lost and the mob singing rule Britannia or similar - then that comes out of nowhere. Midweek atmosphere always more tense too...

I agree most of these mentioned were great and memorable goals, but, my pick hasn't been mentioned.
In 1979 we went into the Rangers game with the title at Stake, we were behind and then Johnny Doyle got sent off and things didn't look good but we went ahead and with time running out we were leading 3-2 but our players were tiring and Rangers were pressing forward. The support was really nervous and fearing the worse we were frantic. Murdo McLeod got the ball at the half way line and carried it forward, when he was 25 yards out he looked up and hit a bullet into the top corner. The goal that won the league, scored in the time when we needed it, with all the tension. Our celebrations were not only for a tremendous goal that night but against rangers and to take the League. Ten men won the League

Can't seperate these 3

Big Billy's winner in the Scottish Cup Final in 1965. We were back

Stevie Chalmers in Lisbon 1967. We were European Champions

Henrick's chip in the 6-2 game against the deady bears. Sublime genius

Lubos double against that other team in a 5-1 skelping at Celtic Park. Henriks dummy and a fine left foot shot. The 2nd a cracking header.
The hunnite media saying all week what a shocking buy he was,£300,000 for some has been from the French league.
Lubo n Henrik skelped them good and wee Mark Burchill finishing them off.
I saw on you tube something aboot a journalist (allegedly) asking Lubo how it felt to go from zero to hero. His interpreter answers, He was never a zero.
Typical Hun question.
Hail Hail fae PR Dundee

I remembe
From my first ever European away game

I remember sitting in my room listening to that on Clyde. I kind of lost my mind and ran screaming like a mad bastard into the living room, nearly giving my wee ma a heart attack. Luckily, she was a Celtic diehard and after thinking about killing me calmed down to enjoy that we had won. :)

I
Hesselink in the 94th minute of the 2-1 game - not the best actual goal but what a feelin, one minute the league lost and the mob singing rule Britannia or similar - then that comes out of nowhere. Midweek atmosphere always more tense too...

I have a funny story about that I will tell onecday in here when I have more time. Belter of a goal.

Back