Genuine Racism Is A Serious Issue That Should Be Called Out, Not Undermined By Blaming Everything On Prejudice

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member
Is this another has been looking for a wee bit of publicity or maybe even sympathy,either way it is a pathetic statement to make..
Why has this ugly comment never appeared before,probably he did not need the publicity but just like Charlie Nic he craves a bit of publicity now and then just to let us know he is still around.
O.K. big man you have had your 15 minutes slip back into your coffin unnoticed just as you have been for a very long time..
We promise you John you wont be missed..

HH.

Brilliant article Liam. A great response. 👏👏👏
The sad thing is Barnes had a point about managerial appointments, but using himself as the example falls down. He was given chances in management and failed, not just at Celtic, Tranmere also and Jamaica. If there are genuine issues around appointments/time afforded and second chances for ethnic minorities then have that debate, but to blame unconscious bias amongst a Celtic support who welcomed him with open arms is incredibly disappointing and self-serving.
He was unlucky with injuries and perhaps he went in at too high a level, but he lost the dressing room, players refused to come out for the second half and we lost to a first division side at home, in the only trophy we had left to play for that season. That is why the fans turned. It was an issue of competency not colour.
To say any different ends up hijacking the debate for reasons of a chip on the shoulder.
Opportunity was afforded to John Barnes, there are others who probably don’t get that and it may well be due to their colour. Sadly with this selfish appropriating of the debate those voices that could be heard through Barnes - if that was what he really wanted – won’t be, as he got too bogged down driving his own personal agenda.

Maybe John could have gave us a mention for being a club who gave him a chance, many of us I'm sure thought it was a very risky appointment at the time, having king Kenny by his side eased my worries but a rookie doing his apprenticeship at our club was a massive error from the board and a mistake I doubt we'll ever make again, I was gutted it didn't work out for the guy, but he got the heave mainly over a shocking cup exit.
I wonder what JB views were on us getting rid of Ronnie who had success but still got his jotters, I believe Ronnie was more harshly treated than JB.

Last edited:
Baden Powell statue to be removed from Poole Harbour due to his nazi sympathies, while I'm happy that what looks like a genuine debate is now taking place, I'm wondering why now, is it George Floyd, or do we have a new generation who are more aware of what's going on in the world, whatever it is, better late than never.
What a bonus watching the Brits trying to defend the indefensible, maybe we could build one big museum somewhere and fill it with statues of all the monsters that some look up to, we can call it the Cruel Brittania exhibition.

Timing of this is suspect imho, rightly so the world at the moment is focused on Black Lives due to the scandal in America, Slave trader statues being pulled down and at this time Barnes decided to cry foul about his incompetence and blame Celtic for being racists , I wonder if he really believes this or is he jumping in at this time to try and get himself noticed, Are the people who run the Jamaican football team racist??? Are the owners of Tranmere racist??? , Maybe John your just out of your depth in management, accept it and dont play the racist card because in doing so you undermine the people who fight racism at every turn.

And John I would have more respect for your opinion if you had chucked playing for England after their fans racially abused you on a team flight back from Brazil, I understand not giving in to them but you didn't even confront it. Seems as though your career is more important than your pride.

So accept you cant manage and dont drag my club into your failed attempt at being a manager.

Sadly , Barnes shows his genuine lack of class with his crass comments about his time at Celtic .

If racism was a ''genuine' concern for him , why has he waited all these years to raise the matter ?
Does his mentor , Kenny Dalglish share his view of his sacking at Celtic ?
If so , why did Kenny remain as interim manager after Barnes left ? Has he no principles ? Or , perhaps , he is racist too !

As others have mentioned , was it racism that had him removed from his Tranmere job ( where he and his assistant were known as Dumb and Dumber ! ) or the fact that he won 3 of 14 games ?

If he was so alert to racism why did he not call out the English fans racism ( and hooliganism ) which frequently marred his career ?
He clearly was moved more by personal glory than any concept of colour or heritage as he refused to play for the country of his birth ( Jamaica ) but opted for the more glamorous ( and lucrative ) England National team .

Principles are fine , John , but only if you consistently act upon them !

HH

He got a chance here, managing one of the biggest teams in Britain, one of the very few ever Black managers, we were all behind him, FACT IS HE FAILED. nothing to do with the colour of his skin, just wasn’t good enough, like Liam Brady, Lou Macari, Tony Mowbray, Celtic is too big a job for a rookie manager, 2nd place is a failure here, he never got it then, still doesn’t get it now, he’s just alienated the whole Celtic Supporters, shocking to play the race card, should have a right good look at himself....

''unconsciously biased '' such a weak pathetic statement when you have no evidence to back it up and nothing else to say .

Were Liverpool and England the same for not offering him a route into management ,,, nah didn't think so

John Barnes great player for liverpool and England, but a shit manager for Celtic end off, not all players make good managers and JB could not cut it at Celtic, get over it, Celtic fans still like you as a person and a player, but you just were not the guy to lead us forward as manager. Don't start making shit up to cover the failures you only create a divide that will not be bridged the more you go on about shite that never happened.

Last edited:
Back