Genuine Racism Is A Serious Issue That Should Be Called Out, Not Undermined By Blaming Everything On Prejudice

This really wrankles me,!!!!!,remember Barnes /Dalglish as the dream team,that went the way off the mark ,remember him being welcomed with open arms,as many comments on here ,not up to the mark ,lost some respect for him after this!,when you see all the black players who have graced the jersey,in the past and present ,enough said ,this whole thing is getting out of hand ,statements like not enough managers/coaches in the top leagues ,maybe it is because they have not been good enough ,sure ,many super players in teams ,but that does not qualify you to be a good manager/coach,no matter your colour ,creed,religion,look at the south side,says it all don’t it ,sure what happened to George Floyd was absolutely disgraceful and rightly so called out ,my son was in a relationship with a girl in Georgia,his last visit really finished it for him ,she and her family/friends showed their true colours in their hatred for coloured people,something he was very uncomfortable with!!!!! could go on and tell stories,but just making a point ,back to the current situation ,please this has to stop now,to a certain degree we here in Scotland do know how they feel,hh

John Barnes great player for liverpool and England, but a shit manager for Celtic end off, not all players make good managers and JB could not cut it at Celtic, get over it, Celtic fans still like you as a person ,,,do they feck ,he burnt that bridge with his outburst and a player, but you just were not the guy to lead us forward as manager. Don't start making shit up to cover the failures you only create a divide that will not be bridged the more you go on about shite that never happened.

He got a chance here, managing one of the biggest teams in Britain, one of the very few ever Black managers, we were all behind him, FACT IS HE FAILED. nothing to do with the colour of his skin, just wasn’t good enough, like Liam Brady, Lou Macari, Tony Mowbray, Celtic is too big a job for a rookie manager, 2nd place is a failure here, he never got it then, still doesn’t get it now, he’s just alienated the whole Celtic Supporters, shocking to play the race card, should have a right good look at himself....
:unsure: wonder what kinda ads he's getting in his search history

The offers and interviews he has had since he failed miserably at Parkhead have been few and far between if any..
Why has this subject he has been harbouring all these years not risen to the surface until now,probably because there was not a shred of interest in what happened to John Barnes at Celtic,but now we have BLM issue he has decided to jump on the proverbial wagon and maybe get a wee bit of attention,did John Barnes ever at anytime consider apologising to every Celtic supporter for leaving Celtic in the mess we found ourselves in after he had been sacked.
I am sure there must be some good pub teams around your way John,as soon as they open again get your name down asap.

HH.

The offers and interviews he has had since he failed miserably at Parkhead have been few and far between if any..
Why has this subject he has been harbouring all these years not risen to the surface until now,probably because there was not a shred of interest in what happened to John Barnes at Celtic,but now we have BLM issue he has decided to jump on the proverbial wagon and maybe get a wee bit of attention,did John Barnes ever at anytime consider apologising to every Celtic supporter for leaving Celtic in the mess we found ourselves in after he had been sacked.
I am sure there must be some good pub teams around your way John,as soon as they open again get your name down asap.

HH.
Agree this whole BLM ,important that it is,is totally out of control ,being allowed to descend into anarchy now! How much of this is due to the fact of total lockdown, frustration,or whatever you want to call it ?????,you are correct ‘rascism’has always been here ,hence the current situation ,!!!! ,he won’t be the last one to try and make issue out of this ,we know we can hold our heads held high over this issue ,NOT GUILTY on that one ! hh

I found John's comments to be quite depressing. I think he is trying to revise history. At the end of the day he was let go due to poor results and as Liam's article points out, people with similar results were also let go.

I can only begin to know what it's like to be black and experience discrimination and I can only empathise with John because, ultimately, I know it's wrong. In saying that I am personally insulted when he used the term "unconsciously biased". As a fan I know if I'm being biased either consciously or not! It's not for John Barnes to state. The ultimate arbiter of how poor he was came from my Rangers mate who said he was, "crap".

The day you stood outside Parkhead I was delighted, cheered and wanted it to work, didn't give a toss about your colour. It didn't work out!! I accept that you were dealt a bad hand at times, but as being sacked for racial reasons, I don't buy it!!

Liam, well done for highlighting and calling out the abuse that Walters got on his debut. It was wrong and an embarrassment to our club. At the time I would have booed him as it was his debut, but appreciate how that could now be construed. And before we take a lecture from our friends across the city, I can still remember them singing outside Parkhead, "I'd rather be a darkie than a Tim, thank f**ck"!!

John Barnes was a seriously talented football and I think for the most part he seems to come across as a friendly fella. Also, he did indeed suffer horrendous racism in the past which is 100% unacceptable.

I have had, heard and seen thousands of conversations and comments about him by Celtic fans and not once have I ever seen even the slightest hint of a negative comment about his skin colour, or even about him being English or Jamaican. His recent comments on this matter are completely and utterly wrong - certainly in relation to the fans. If he thinks there was something with the board then I can't comment on that because I don't know what was said or done behind closed doors but his Tweets specifically reference the fans.

As everyone has stated - it was cos he was crap, like Brady, Macari and Mowbray (at least the latter two had enjoyed some lower level of success as manager before joining us). This is so unnecessary from him, but maybe he just can't cope with the fact that he was a failure at management after such a glittering career as a player.

I remember being really excited when John Barnes and Kenny Dalglish were being tipped to takeover at Celtic, not only were we getting a Liverpool legend and one of the most exciting footballers from one of the most exciting teams I'd seen growing up as a wean but we were also getting a Celtic legend who had a great managerial record in his own right. As far as I was concerned it was a dream team appointment destined to end the (financially doped) nightmare of Rangers dominance.

As it turned out the old adage of great players don't always make great managers proved to be true and the dream of finally breaking Rangers stranglehold and emerging from Rangers shadow to become top dogs in Scotland once more had turned into a waking nightmare.

Not only were we still trailing behind Rangers but we were dropping points and losing games against opposition we should've been beating, we'd spent quite a few quid on new signings who were out of their depth and/or uninterested, one of whom the management had only seen on video but spent around £5m on ffs and there was a deep growing unrest in the dressing room. The splits between individual players and the split between the players and management got to the point they were out of control which led to some shocking performances and would eventually lead to players throwing very public strops. Things had become an utter shambles, we had a deeply divided team who were all over the shop on and off the field and we had a rookie manager who was not only incapable of remedying the situation but was himself in no small part at fault for some of those divisions......and then came the final straw, the Inverness Caley game! The performance, the result, the humiliation of Celtic losing so badly to these lower league hammer throwers and the gloating media feeding frenzy that followed meant there was NO way back for John Barnes.

It was all of this☝ that led to John Barnes getting the sack at Celtic NOT the colour of his skin but don't just take my word for it, take his from just last year......👇

For him to now claim racism played a part in why he and his players failed during his time at Celtic is excuse making of the worst kind. It's cheap opportunistic revisionism and the hijacking of an extremely important issue to lay the blame for his own past failures at the feet of other people and he doesn't seem to care who's reputations he tarnishes to achieve that end.

I remember being really excited when John Barnes and Kenny Dalglish were being tipped to takeover at Celtic, not only were we getting a Liverpool legend and one of the most exciting footballers from one of the most exciting teams I'd seen growing up as a wean but we were also getting a Celtic legend who had a great managerial record in his own right. As far as I was concerned it was a dream team appointment destined to end the (financially doped) nightmare of Rangers dominance.

As it turned out the old adage of great players don't always make great managers proved to be true and the dream of finally breaking Rangers stranglehold and emerging from Rangers shadow to become top dogs in Scotland once more had turned into a waking nightmare.

Not only were we still trailing behind Rangers but we were dropping points and losing games against opposition we should've been beating, we'd spent quite a few quid on new signings who were out of their depth and/or uninterested, one of whom the management had only seen on video but spent around £5m on ffs and there was a deep growing unrest in the dressing room. The splits between individual players and the split between the players and management got to the point they were out of control which led to some shocking performances and would eventually lead to players throwing very public strops. Things had become an utter shambles, we had a deeply divided team who were all over the shop on and off the field and we had a rookie manager who was not only incapable of remedying the situation but was himself in no small part at fault for some of those divisions......and then came the final straw, the Inverness Caley game! The performance, the result, the humiliation of Celtic losing so badly to these lower league hammer throwers and the gloating media feeding frenzy that followed meant there was NO way back for John Barnes.

It was all of this☝ that led to John Barnes getting the sack at Celtic NOT the colour of his skin but don't just take my word for it, take his from just last year......👇

For him to now claim racism played a part in why he and his players failed during his time at Celtic is excuse making of the worst kind. It's cheap opportunistic revisionism and the hijacking of an extremely important issue to lay the blame for his own past failures at the feet of other people and he doesn't seem to care who's reputations he tarnishes to achieve that end.
Spot on Shadow2 HH ☘ (y)🍺🥳

The fact that moronic fuckwit has managed to reach the rank of Police Chief and thinks that is an acceptable thing to say just shows what Black Americans are up against and how ingrained the racism is within the Police over there.
Absolute Mutant
Straight out of the 1600's
"White Christian country/values"
"If yees don't like it, we'll hire the boat"
Fucking neanderthal

Timing of this is suspect imho, rightly so the world at the moment is focused on Black Lives due to the scandal in America, Slave trader statues being pulled down and at this time Barnes decided to cry foul about his incompetence and blame Celtic for being racists , I wonder if he really believes this or is he jumping in at this time to try and get himself noticed, Are the people who run the Jamaican football team racist??? Are the owners of Tranmere racist??? , Maybe John your just out of your depth in management, accept it and dont play the racist card because in doing so you undermine the people who fight racism at every turn.

And John I would have more respect for your opinion if you had chucked playing for England after their fans racially abused you on a team flight back from Brazil, I understand not giving in to them but you didn't even confront it. Seems as though your career is more important than your pride.

So accept you cant manage and dont drag my club into your failed attempt at being a manager.
Perhaps John Barnes, has decided to try for a job with his mate Slippy at Ipox, and s pandering to the zombie hordes
Was a decent player at Liverpool, but was awful as a manager
Maybe that's why, he's never had another chance at a big club

Genuine Racism Is A Serious Issue That Should Be Called Out, Not Undermined By Blaming Everything On Prejudice...article by Liam Kelly

exactly no like fuckin failures using the colour of their skin to play the victim... am all for BLM the scummy bastards of polis need lynched for wit they do to black people bit John the victim barnes is ripping the hole out it the prick

Back