Happy Birthday, Maestro Paul McStay, born on this day in 1964

When I started being a Celt back in '80 at 3 year old the thing that got me, apart from reading every sport book in the local library that me maw used as a babysitter while she had a couple of cheeky hours in the bingo in the afternoon was reading all the Celtic books n the history. Actually witnessing Danny McGrain play, Christ he looked enormous in real life๐Ÿ˜ but as soon as Billy played this young Bhoy McStay, for a young fella like me, he looked as if he came from another planet! Never seen anything like him! His footwork n sheer skill was mind-blowing. 3, 4, 5 players he would skin in one movement! An incredibly talented Bhoy with a temperament we very seldom see, even in the last 30 years which is insane when you think of the insane pressure his family n his name must have brought, he thrived, learned from the true Celts around, was always humble n just loved playing for Celtic, as many of his family before him graced n served the Hoops with pride. Love the guy from the first instint I saw him twist sum numbskull from Motherwell /Dundee unt.(can't remember which lol) Will never forget the centenary semi final against the farts, took a kick out in the centre circle, on the chest with 2 Huns around him, let the ball drop, backed into one, slid the ball between his legs n away, left the 2 farties heading wrong way! I triedn tried to emulate that as a kid but gave up very soon as I nearly ruptured myself! ๐Ÿ˜‚ A true Celtic man from a true Celtic family! What the hell we would've been without him thro the dark dark days I truly shudder to think!
95 Scottish cup final was for him first, Celtic next n us third! A master which words don't do justice๐Ÿ€
Happy Birthday ๐ŸŽ‚ There is only one Paul McStay! unfortunately...

When I started being a Celt back in '80 at 3 year old the thing that got me, apart from reading every sport book in the local library that me maw used as a babysitter while she had a couple of cheeky hours in the bingo in the afternoon was reading all the Celtic books n the history. Actually witnessing Danny McGrain play, Christ he looked enormous in real life๐Ÿ˜ but as soon as Billy played this young Bhoy McStay, for a young fella like me, he looked as if he came from another planet! Never seen anything like him! His footwork n sheer skill was mind-blowing. 3, 4, 5 players he would skin in one movement! An incredibly talented Bhoy with a temperament we very seldom see, even in the last 30 years which is insane when you think of the insane pressure his family n his name must have brought, he thrived, learned from the true Celts around, was always humble n just loved playing for Celtic, as many of his family before him graced n served the Hoops with pride. Love the guy from the first instint I saw him twist sum numbskull from Motherwell /Dundee unt.(can't remember which lol) Will never forget the centenary semi final against the farts, took a kick out in the centre circle, on the chest with 2 Huns around him, let the ball drop, backed into one, slid the ball between his legs n away, left the 2 farties heading wrong way! I triedn tried to emulate that as a kid but gave up very soon as I nearly ruptured myself! ๐Ÿ˜‚ A true Celtic man from a true Celtic family! What the hell we would've been without him thro the dark dark days I truly shudder to think!
95 Scottish cup final was for him first, Celtic next n us third! A master which words don't do justice๐Ÿ€
Happy Birthday ๐ŸŽ‚ There is only one Paul McStay! unfortunately...
Hail Hail Maestro!

Back