Have you any funny Celtic related stories to tell?

Was funny to us at the time: Took my sons over from Belfast, youngest one's first game: Scottish accent was really strange to him so he asked me why people beside us were shouting, "C'mon The Hibs". Twas of course, "Hoops"!

He's 22 now and still gets slagged about it!

About a week before the eufa cup final against Porto thier was a competition in the record this paper I haven't read in many a year by the way the prise was tickets and travel to the final .I phoned up gave my answer name and home phone number hoping my dream would come true.a few days went passed I heard nothing. The day before the final I just happen to say to the wife about how I'd entered the competition she had a look on her face like a fish gasping for air I said what's wrong. She said that a person with a Scots accent phoned looking for me and he sounded really happy. Well being an Irish living in Belfast I don't know many scotish people.so it could only have been someone from the record .I said why didn't you get in touch with me she shrugged her shoulders and said I didn't think it was important after I strangled her I got on the phone to the record and told them my story but they said all the prizes had gone that's the biggest fish that ever got away I'm now devoted.

Not my funny story...more of an enquiry about a funny story.... I remember watching the news and there was a guy in Seville. He was there with all his mates and he told the the reporter that he was supposed to be back home getting married...400 guests had been invited. I thought it was hilarious...this guys flown out to Seville with all his mates the day before his wedding. I'm wondering if he was forgiven and got married in the end??? My missus would have killed me!!!!

Last edited:
I used to be a ballboy at the middle of the jungle in the mid seventies. All the ball boys were instructed to take your time if Celtic were winning. Hurry up if we were behind. That night we were playing Rangers and we were 1-0 up. The ball got put out of play near me for a throw to them.
As the ball came to me instead of picking it up i let it go through my legs. The crowd cheered but i got called a wee fenian bastard from the Rangers player wanting to take the throw in?

In the 60,s big jock was giving the first team a tactics talk a couple of days before a big European tie at parkhead .In those days he used a magnetic subuteo board with player figures on it .
As he discussed the opposition players by position he would remove the player figures one by one from the board .
That day at the end Bertie had a question
Jock said Whit is it Bertie?
There was one player figure still on the board Jock had missed one .Bertie said" Whit about him boss" Jock realised he'd missed one pulled the figure of the board and said "never mind him he,s a diddy"

Not so much funny but a fantastic memory.
Date 25.5.67.( Holy Day Obligation) our family were watching the match.
My sisters and I had to go to evening mass,my dad said he would catch up with us.
A usually packed church was empty and no priest.
The mass had been delayed for what seemed aged when the priest
finally came onto the Alter and announced that Celtic had won the EC.
Just then my dad arrived with the biggest smile you have ever seen.
That smile will remain with me forever.

Back