Hearts v Celtic - Wednesday 18 December kick-off 7.45pm

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member
Not really sure why there seems to be a need to play this game in December but if we go there and play well we shouldn't have any problems picking up the three points. Hearts are a shambles at the moment and their new boss has plenty to be getting on with outwit trying to nick something against the Champions. He has to take his relegation threatened side to fellow strugglers Hamilton at the weekend.

Here's what Hearts manager Daniel Stendel has been saying about tomorrow's game v Celtic....

Have a look at this regarding the mess that seems to be Hearts this season...working from home and late starts...

Meanwhile Neil Lennon isn't sure what to expect against a Hearts side who lost at home to St Johnstone at the weekend.

“I don’t know what to expect from Tynecastle,” Lenny said. “They’ve got skill, experience and quality players, but for whatever reason, it’s not been happening for them lately. They’ve got a new manager in and he’ll need a bit of time to embed his own principles and style of play. You just don’t know what sort of reaction you’ll get from a team with a new manager.

“I want us to go there play in the same way we against Hibs. We played really well against a good side. Hearts have got a decent squad, there has been a bit of turmoil there. Hopefully we can capitalise on any perceived unrest and make the most of it. The manager has only been in the job for a few days and it’s maybe been too early for Daniel Stendel to get his imprint on his team.

“But we know, on their day, Hearts can be a handful for anyone especially at home. We know this is a game in-hand, if you want to call it that, so it’s important for us to put five points between us and the rest.”

Ryan Christie should be back in the side and the 3-5-2 system could be used again to great effect. Either Olivier Ntcham in the 5 or James Forrest in the 2 would have to make way for Christie or Lenny might just decide to go with the same team that beat Hibs and bring Christie on.

The Hibs boss Jack Ross reckoned that it was a compliment to his team that Lennon changed his formation. The Celtic manager explained that it was used as he was without several wingers. Me? I reckon it is forward planning for the 29 December where Celtic do not want to be a man down in midfield again.

Tomorrow the incentive is clear. Win and go 5 points clear and heap the pressure on the Rangers who go to Easter Road on Friday night and they have a suspension looming for Morelos.

The rumour is that he could miss the trip to Parkhead on 29 December although Celtic are considering launching an appeal.

Back to Tynecastle, another advantage is that there's no long grass in December. Let's get the job done. Hearts 0 Celtic 2.

All comments here...

You have to wonder about Craig levein's own self respect. He oversaw a collapse of unbelievable proportions. He lost a manager and DOF role in one fell swoop and now had to show Stendel around his old stomping ground and where to plug his laptop into an office that was his just a few weeks ago. Pitiful.

I think just over a year ago Hearts were top of the league now look at them.
Ann Budge clearly admires the guy but she has to look at her own position for allowing that sorry mess to go on as long as it did and set the club back massively. I'm sure she has been far more ruthless in other business dealings and perhaps she needs to get back to that.

The turnover of players has been huge yet there is still no balance to their team. No pace other than the lad Mulraney who is a good un but rarely fit, and it's a miss match of ageing and stagnating midfielders who look like they can't last 90 minutes. Christie and McGregor will have them chasing shadows.

Hearts played a high line against St Johnstone and Kennedy picked them off by just running at them. Imagine what runners like Mikey, Forrest or Frimpong twisting their blood could do to a defence playing as high as that and with Berra now slower than a week in the jail.

I can see them flying at us from the start just to get the home support off their backs. If we suck that up and get the ball forward quickly their high line has all the recovery pace of a tortoise in treacle.

Maybe Stendel will play a different style tomorrow as opposed to Saturday but I doubt it. He lost his Barnsley job as his Plan A was found out in the Championship and he played his high line-high press when he didn't have good enough players for Championship level to marry with his style and he kept flogging the same beaten horse. He'll have the same personnel to system issues at Hearts.

Normally you'd expect a tough game under the lights at Tynecastle and they might well surprise us but I doubt it. They are rank rotten this season and a malaise has set in. They didn't even get their new manager bounce.

Morale is low and we'll take full advantage if we're on our game. We'll put 4 or 5 past them and it won't matter if we play 4-2-3-1, 3-5-2 or play Rushie keeper.

5-0 minimum. Christie hat-trick. Calmac and Eddy.

I'm thinking the 3-5-2 formation may be seen more regularly this season. Although having so many fast skillful attacking midfield players (Christie, Forrest, Elyounoussi, Mikey J, Rogic, etc) the second attacker (to Eddy or Griff) may be constantly changing throughout the same game.

It helps us to dominate midfield, places the 2 full backs higher up the pitch as wing backs and also allows Broony & CalMac more freedom to make late attacking runs to hopefully find space.

A big drawback is our current shortage of fit players who can play centre back. Hopefully we'll sign another this window along with another good striker.

Front foot forward tonight and do something that we haven't done too much of recently and put this game to bed nice and early.

The hunettes can't handle pace. Hit them hard, hit them fast and start conserving players by half-time.

With one eye on the hun match - a five across the middle might be worth persevering with. Wee Frimpong has enough energy to get up and down the right flank and I'd like to see Taylor take a game too just as an extra defensive-minded player.

Mon Ra Hoops............

Back