Hibs v Champs, Wed 7-Feb-24 at 8pm MIB=N.Walsh, VAR=Dallas

I may be wrong but I am surprised that no action was taken on the head butt on Johnston or if it was I missed it , having seen many a Glesga Kiss used in a Saturday dispute, it might just be Me but I seen it as deliberate there was no way he was going for the ball as I said it might just be Me

Three points and a man who can score penalties. That's it. We seem clueless, lacking urgency and invention.
Who ever is in charge of recruitment needs fecking horse whipped. Khun is an 3£ million empty jersey. Palma is a fecking idiot. Lagaerbielke,Yang, Kwon, Tilio all empty jerseys.
Possession doesn't win games, goals do. None of our wingers can take on their opposite number.
Kyogo and O'Reilly their form has dropped off a cliff. BR is ruining this team. All this moaning after we win a game. Perhaps I'm too pessimistic. Perhaps I should be saying that playing poorly and still winning is the mark of champions.
Doesn't feel like tho.
Struggled to stay awake watching that last night.Not long ago you felt we could score with every attack,now you're thinking were are our goals coming from here.No point pretending everythings rosey its fucking pish.

I may be wrong but I am surprised that no action was taken on the head butt on Johnston or if it was I missed it , having seen many a Glesga Kiss used in a Saturday dispute, it might just be Me but I seen it as deliberate there was no way he was going for the ball as I said it might just be Me
Hard to tell but he did have his eye on the ball.I'd say more a clumsy reckless attempt at winning the ball.

Thought the same Digger. He was not looking at the ball. Glad Welsh saw it.

So glad we won but for long periods I felt sorry for the guys paying money to watch this, so slow & backwards passes all the time when there is a forward pass, not sure what's going on with the team but hard to watch at times. Players out injured but is that an excuse. Need a big win somewhere to get confidence back as it seems low. 🤔
Hope it's a better game next week. 🙏
HH.
So glad we won but for long periods I felt sorry for the guys paying money to watch this, so slow & backwards passes all the time when there is a forward pass, not sure what's going on with the team but hard to watch at times.

That might be the managers instructions

Last edited:
I don't for a second think BR sends the team out to play in such a slow, safety first way. He speaks a lot in interviews about speed, intensity, bravery on the ball but we rarely see it on the pitch. On the occasions we do then we look every bit as good as last season under Ange, but that's been very rare. The only conclusions I see are he doesn't have the players to play the way he wants, and given we have a recruitment team that don't/won't provide the type of player he wants, he needs to modify his preferred style of play and get the best out of what he has at his disposal. Injuries also don't help, especially in defence where it's been Scales and three others all season (and after AJ and Welsh going off last night it'll be another 2 changes at least this weekend). Midfield is three similar players, Hatate offers something different but when he isn't available there is no one who can offer what he does in terms of attacking, driving forward with the ball and taking risks with the final pass. Our wingers are abysmal compared to what we've been used to in recent years (I include BRs first time as well as Ange's). They are predictable, scared to take a man on and get to the byeline, provide nothing for Kyogo and don't get into scoring positions themselves. 4 wingers signed, none have shown themselves good enough to come close to replacing Jota, Abada has mentally checked out (he should have been moved on in January) and Maeda only works in a team that moves the ball forward quickly.
The current team can't be coached to play how the manager wants, he's been trying for 7 months, its time our £3m per year so called 'elite' coach starts earning his money and protecting his reputation by getting a tune out of what he has at his disposal.

Last edited:
I also think that the way that Ange had us playing and the intensity has run our key players into the ground..you only have to look at CCV, Taylor,Hatate, McGregor, Kyogo, Maeda, Abada and recently O'Reilly who have either suffered niggling injuries or are running on fumes... It's 100% not all on Rodgers IMO

I don't for a second think BR sends the team out to play in such a slow, safety first way. He speaks a lot in interviews about speed, intensity, bravery on the ball but we rarely see it on the pitch. On the occasions we do then we look every bit as good as last season under Ange, but that's been very rare. The only conclusions I see are he doesn't have the players to play the way he wants, and given we have a recruitment team that don't/won't provide the type of player he wants, he needs to modify his preferred style of play and get the best out of what he has at his disposal. Injuries also don't help, especially in defence where it's been Scales and three others all season (and after AJ and Welsh going off last night it'll be another 2 changes at least this weekend). Midfield is three similar players, Hatate offers something different but when he isn't available there is no one who can offer what he does in terms of attacking, driving forward with the ball and taking risks with the final pass. Our wingers are abysmal compared to what we've been used to in recent years (I include BRs first time as well as Ange's). They are predictable, scared to take a man on and get to the byeline, provide nothing for Kyogo and don't get into scoring positions themselves. 4 wingers signed, none have shown themselves good enough to come close to replacing Jota, Abada has mentally checked out (he should have been moved on in January) and Maeda only works in a team that moves the ball forward quickly.
The current team can't be coached to play how the manager wants, he's been trying for 7 months, its time our £3m per year so called 'elite' coach starts earning his money and protecting his reputation by getting a tune out of what he has at his disposal.
To be fair Gary we bought piss poor players
And on the evidence of the last two games
They’re performing brilliantly
Sad though

HH 😞

I also think that the way that Ange had us playing and the intensity has run our key players into the ground..you only have to look at CCV, Taylor,Hatate, McGregor, Kyogo, Maeda, Abada and recently O'Reilly who have either suffered niggling injuries or are running on fumes... It's 100% not all on Rodgers IMO
Sorry Docco but I dont agree with you mate.

A bit of thought has gone in to this post from a Bhoy on CQN…

MOISEY17 on 8TH FEBRUARY 2024 8:09 AM
Such a difficult watch last night – so many poor performances and poor decision making it is hard to get you head around it. Clearly we take the points but that was the great escape – I can’t remember the last time we played so poorly and won. Our recent bad performances have mainly been lots of possession but little creativity and few missed chances but last was that and more cause of Hibs had taken their chances we could have lost 3 or 4 goals – that is a new low.

It is clear the board lack ambition and plan for cash in the bank not on the field which for a sports club is a bizarre concept. The recruitment team and methodology is atrocious this season and last. We lost first team starters in the last 12/18 months and not one replacement is of similar quality or experience. They all follow the same formula – young-ish, inexperienced, and show some potential – imagine a team full of Mikey Johnstones?

They are not starters, they do not replace like for like and they most certainly don’t improve the 1st eleven. I’m not saying they is not room for the odd MoR or Yang type project but you cannot fill a squad and a transfer window with them and you cannot these young players to do the job of men.

Our spend this season was not small but it was in light of the finance we have available but even so lots it has been wasted on bang average players who have been badly scouted and will never contribute much and will not recover the investment made. Who knows who does our scouting but it is currently shockingly bad – not just in what we bring in but in what we miss. Ferguson, Doig, Miovski all on our doorstep, all young -ish, all experienced in our league, all get able at a reasonable cost and reasonable wages and if all goes well strong sell on potential if that’s what the model requires but we get Kwon, Holm, Bernabei, Yang, Oh………seriously?

Short term I know but what I’ve seen from Knun so far, especially last night, the guy Armstrong from Kilmarnock would be a better bet. Absolutely fecking shocking and that’s just the start of it – a professional hardworking recruitment team would have data on hundreds of players near and far and know who was end of contract etc. One or two that maybe would be out of our budget if we had to pay a fee but hold on, last year of contract, reduced fee or a bosman next season? Come up here, experienced pros 25-28 yo win some bling, play in Europe, pay a bit extra as no transfer fee?

But no we get the aforementioned. There is no balance and our fee and wage structure too rigid and has not moved in enough. We appear completely blinkered in this area of the business and can only move in very small parameters – this is managerially extremely poor.

I’m stuck with the manager? Just can’t get my head round it. There is simply no way BR coaches this team to play slow boring and ineffective football coach would do that it’s just inconceivable. I also don’t see a change in set up in most games – the fullbacks are still inverted when we play out. The difference IMHO is the speed at which we do it and the personnel specifically on the wings.

For years we have played against teams that defend in numbers or defend very deep – the difference now is the “low block” is both. It compresses 10 opposing players and 7-8 of ours into a small area of the park probably about 12-15 yards deep from 18 yard line to approx 30 yards out and not as wide as the pitch – there is no room to move, there is little room to squeeze that pass through, movement is difficult as everyone is so close to each other.

Trying to find that space or pass when literally faced with a wall in front is extremely difficult and you need very very skilled and intelligent players to be able to do it consistently – we don’t have that. Sure we face the same thing last season but I honestly think that opponents have got better at that system and there no doubt it became harder for us towards the last few months of the season but crucially we had Jota, Hatate and Mooy who were all better in those tight spaces than what we have now so go figure.

When we do manage to get wide reasonably quickly one get the 1 on 1 as opposed to against two our current wingers are not good enough or brave enough to take on full backs and win more often that not – either that or they are coached not to take the risk of losing possession.

Personally I think it is one of the first two that ultimately leads to the third option of just passing back. Jota faced guys up and took them on – he’s no longer there and his replacement doesn’t do that. Abada was better at running on to the pass in behind and never great at 1 on 1s as contrary to popular belief he is not quick of the mark but he has been out so long and frankly I think his head is gone or struggling for sharpness. Yang has a trick but needs to be braver and allowed to lose the duel from time to time and not get rollicked from the crowd or the coaches.

So how do we improve as an attacking threat? It’s far easier to be a destructive player than a creative one – closing down the space, getting in the tackle and the blocks and especially when the team in front of you is predictable so we need to change it at least vary how we attack and our wingers need to be told to go for the 1 on 1s no excuses no back passes – get a yard and whip it in or cut it back and do it quickly don’t give full back time to set, don’t take 4/5 touches, face him up quickly and drive at them, turn them getting facing their own goal or byline put them under pressure.

The coaches need to bash this into them and the crowd need to understand that it’s not going to work every time but it’s the only way to break the block.

Clearly non of us are coaches but strikes me that our front 3 don’t move enough side to side dragging defenders with them or causing confusion as to who is picking up who. This creates gaps and channels for passes to be played or other to move into.

Think of American Football – before the snap of each play the receivers are moving across the field from inside to out, from outside to in and from one side to the other and all time his opponent is running around trying match him up causing confusion in the defence – if you stand still or move back and forward you are easy to mark and make defenders lives easy – if you are constantly moving and he doesn’t know who is coming across him next then we are asking questions.

Last thing from the stupidly long post is shoot……..we most certainly don’t do that enough. Show the players a Harry Kane video- he scores loads because he shoots and shoots quickly. One touch first time he doesn’t mess around – get a sight and hit it.

Cmon Brendan get these bhoys moving and motivated……

Sorry for the boring rant but head full of broken bottles…

OR. They're playing exactly how he's told them to play and it's just not working because they either don't like the style or they don't like Rodgers and his ego.

Back