Ireland v Scotland

Clarke imo is no different from lenny ( 2nd stint ) picks the wrong players , leaves it too late to make changes etc and I could see this coming from the moment we beat Armenia ( a side who have more top flight players than Ireland btw) .
Talk of 9pts from 3 games etc and on the back of a thumping from Ukraine.
Deludamol has made it's way into the Scotland camp.
When we play anyone away from home we should always be regarded as underdogs .
We underestimated Ukraine and now Ireland. No lessons learned .
How long does McGinn get to be rank rotten before hes dropped? What does Turnbull have to do to get a game?
Square pegs in round holes.
Players played out of position. For no apparent reason that I could see.
Armstrong, soutar, Taylor all sitting on the bench , all would walk into that irish side .
Scotland again believing in their own hype, and we should know better.
I feel sorry for Calmac and Ralston playing with gus who think they need only turn up and it will happen and a manager ( who was almost Celtic manager thank God for another bullet dodged)
Oh I could go on all night of how many things are wrong with this approach.
Why is Clark going for a back 3 CB option winter, when he clearly doesn't know what his best partnership's are to play it still?
Strange decision for any manager to go with, especially when a settled back line is the basic requirement for any team.
We seen first hand under lenny how bad team performances can be and the difference Ange has made when you get the centre of your defence right or at least settled.
Ireland haven't got the ball players to do this over playing out from the back but at least they look fairly comfortable with defending the ball into the area and there positional sence was spot on that helped build confidence within the players in front of them.
Scotland looked a shambles all night and nothing done to change a huge problem all night imo.

I thought it was over too based on tge crap tv camera angle but VAR did check it and said it wasn't. I'm assuming they have a camera along the goalline to check for this as I don't think they used goalline technology there.
Surprised its not used BB but was more surprised that it still isn't used within the SPFL still

Its a very long time indeed since a Scotland national side had enough depth to be pissing about wi formations, we’ve barely got a decent standard starting 11 ffs.
And yet we now have the players that we can put out a very high quality standard starting XI but we cannot just rotate as if scotland are Celtic in the spfl or man city, we dont have that much quality beyond our best XI. Qualifying for the Euros appears to have gone to Clarke's head.
Perhaps he should be reminded that we did it through the back door against those goliaths of world football, israel and Albania then a penalty shoot out victory over a covid hit Serbia.
Clarkes arrogance is astounding and ( already said this) is lenny-esque in the failed 10 season.

Last edited:
Clarke imo is no different from lenny ( 2nd stint ) picks the wrong players , leaves it too late to make changes etc and I could see this coming from the moment we beat Armenia ( a side who have more top flight players than Ireland btw) .
Talk of 9pts from 3 games etc and on the back of a thumping from Ukraine.
Deludamol has made it's way into the Scotland camp.
When we play anyone away from home we should always be regarded as underdogs .
We underestimated Ukraine and now Ireland. No lessons learned .
How long does McGinn get to be rank rotten before hes dropped? What does Turnbull have to do to get a game?
Square pegs in round holes.
Players played out of position. For no apparent reason that I could see.
Armstrong, soutar, Taylor all sitting on the bench , all would walk into that irish side .
Scotland again believing in their own hype, and we should know better.
I feel sorry for Calmac and Ralston playing with gus who think they need only turn up and it will happen and a manager ( who was almost Celtic manager thank God for another bullet dodged)
Oh I could go on all night of how many things are wrong with this approach.
Anyone who thinks Clarke is the right man for the job, have a word with yourself
Armstrong on the bench ?
Taylor ?
Souttar ? even he would have shored up the back line
McTominay, how the fuck does he get a game ?
Scotland made Ireland look good today
I listened to it online and it was like listening to Rangers commentary, fucking dire stuff
Kenny Miller getting all boned up about Billy Gilmour coming on, wee Billy was gash last outing, as the game passed him by, no better today
Today ' Misser' was giving it "Billy Gilmour is having a great game..."
No, rocket man...he wasn't, he came on at half time, and did SFA, like the rest of his team mates
Scotland, two games ginst Ukraine to come, plus Armenia away, and Ireland at Hampden
Watch the SMSM ramp up the 'Braveheart' shite
I S B S

Why is Clark going for a back 3 CB option winter, when he clearly doesn't know what his best partnership's are to play it still?
Strange decision for any manager to go with, especially when a settled back line is the basic requirement for any team.
We seen first hand under lenny how bad team performances can be and the difference Ange has made when you get the centre of your defence right or at least settled.
Ireland haven't got the ball players to do this over playing out from the back but at least they look fairly comfortable with defending the ball into the area and there positional sence was spot on that helped build confidence within the players in front of them.
Scotland looked a shambles all night and nothing done to change a huge problem all night imo.
Why? I believe that he thinks our squad is better than it is.
We have got a good and very decent squad , our best for years but not good enough to sacrifice our best XI and expect the same results or play players out of position when the right ones are either on the bench or in the wrong position already on the field.
The players are there , if only Clarke would play them and in their correct positions.
That's one of the reasons why sevco went a season here unbeaten domestically, play to your strengths. Never underestimate the opposition.
I'm watching the welsh right now , the games not even started and the passion is ripping out of the players and crowd.
Not because they believe they are going to win but because they are going to give everything they have , bodies on the line for the cause.

He needs to stop playing mctomany wid rather souter least he can defend a bit....clarke went to 352 because hes fuckin scared to pick between tierney and robertson i think this is a good squad just wish our manager was a bit more attacking

He needs to stop playing mctomany wid rather souter least he can defend a bit....clarke went to 352 because hes fuckin scared to pick between tierney and robertson i think this is a good squad just wish our manager was a bit more attacking
Hes never been an attacking manager.
Not at west brom not at killie.
Now he has a squad of a high calibre he doesnt know how to field it.
Tbf hes done a decent job up to this point but it might well be time to move on.
He peaked imo by getting us to the euros but once there we turned up for 1 game , a draw at wembley and thumped twice at home totally out thought tactically .
Move over Clarke and let a more tactically astute man come in .
One who knows how to attack and defend and when to ring the changes .

No having a dig but Andy robertson lost the league + champions league in the space of one week!!hanley and Gilmour relegated!!surely their confidence is not at its best??play guys that are on a high!or is that too exciting for the yawning man?
A complete no brainer , robertson needs a break he is drained and all can see it bar Clarke, Gilmour has been promoted to the national side on hype and nothing more.
Taylor and Soutar shouldve started this game and if needed Robertson couldve come on

The three Scotland games over the last 10 days have shown that without a doubt Kieran Tierney is by some distance Scotland's best and most important player. The back three looks vulnerable without him, Robertson is shite when he's not there and even our midfield, supposedly the strongest part of our team miss him stepping forward to help with overloads in that area. We create less chances without him as well, the underlapping/overlapping attacking centre back role he plays is unique in international football.
Tonight's 0-3 defeat was as bad for Clarke as the 0-3 defeat to Kazakhstan was for McLeish, and he was sacked soon after. Scotland have a good squad of players, lacking in quality up front, but with a lot of potential who should be doing better than being Kilmarnock International under a negative, safety first SPFL standard manager.

It's very frustrating ( as has always been the case being a Scotland fan).
We have the players and on our game can match some of the best sides around.
Weve seen this proved, our performance against England at the euros against the eventual runners up , our points tally in a difficult group consisting of Austria, Denmark and israel are not too shabby either.
23 pts from 10 games, the same points tally that Holland and Croatia won their groups with.
We lost 1 game away to a very decent Denmark side and beat them back in Glasgow by the same scoreline 2-0.
Knocking out Serbia to qualify for the Euros on penalties in Serbia.
Great achievements for a Scottish side.
I'm not saying that had Clarke played the correct players in the correct positions we would have beaten Ireland but I'm positive we would have seen a far closer game and I thought beforehand that we mightve gotten a draw over there.
Guys like Taylor and Soutar are chomping at the bit for a game and on a high .
Taylor's high needs no explanation and Soutar has just won a runners up Scottish cup medal and a transfer to theRangers.
Armstrong has been showing the form that got him the move to the EPL and will probably move to a bigger club than southampton just as wanyama and Forster and VVD all did before him.
It's the manager once more , like WGS who believes that if you play in the EPL or the championship then you are better than what's on offer in Scotland.
Only when WGS bowed to public outrage at not playing Griffiths and other in form Scottish based players did we see the huge advancement in our game, which laid the foundation for big eck to completely ignore and fk right up.
Still, by the time Clarke took over WGSs Scottish based talent like Armstrong and McGinn amongst others had stepped up a level.
We are not at a level where we can take it for granted that we can chop and change a winning side and we wont be until we qualify for a WC or Euros through the front door.
I hope that ( I also doubt it) Clarke is using the nations league to give players experience of playing at this level.
If he is then that's clever and come the next qualifying we just might have the depth of quality on the bench as we do our best starting XI.
It cant be ignored the progress that we have made in the last 5 years.
Actually making an appearance at the euros, losing out at the last hurdle when Ireland ( again) beat world champions Germany to deny us a play off spot.
Losing play offs to Ukraine and Belgium was it?
We have improved by no small margin and we shouldn't forget this.
Remembering the days of Vogts, and Eck to where we are now despite WGS and Clarke's decisions to go with championship players over SPFL players .
Dykes is a decent target man who troubled Celtic on more than one occasion but back in the days where we were regularly playing in world cups and Euros , even though less nations were involved, if players werent top flight players they didnt get called up.
Only Alan Rough the exception to this rule I can think of.
It's very disappointing that performance and the Ukraine performance but we are knocking on the door and I do believe that it will open for us as the scottish game is once more producing world class talent .
Scots appearing in club european finals again.
We lost , we were poor, very poor but we aren't far away from rejoining the top level despite this setback.
So disappointing yes very, but improving definitely.
Clarke's methods might well produce the side we all want although I suspect his tenure will be over by then.
The nations league has been called a Micky mouse tournament but it's been good for us and other nations as well .
Hopefully it will help us achieve our goals in time , but not too much time as we dont want to see the progress we have made being thrown away again as it was under ' Eck'.
Slange Var 🥃
Look ☝️👀 glass half full 😁

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Back