Is this correct?

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member
Am I right here, or have I made an error? Feedback appreciated before I post on The Star...

We were all told to expect a change in the leadership at the top of the Scottish Premiership last night but anyone having a quick look at the league table today with notice that despite all the hot air over the past week or so, Celtic are still top and theRangers remain in second place.

Someone asked me if last night's game against Ross County was in Dingwall and was surprised when I told them it was at Ibrox. "They always seem to be at home" was his rather peculiar response but perhaps it's not as strange as first thought.

After the third round of fixtures which started after the short winter break (their game last night was one of their games in hand), we go into the split where the top six and bottom six go their separate ways and matters of title winners, European qualification, relegation and the slightly lesser evil of facing a play-off spot are all determined.

As things stand the top six will consist of Celtic, theRangers, Hearts, Kilmarnock, St Mirren and Dundee while the bottom six will have Motherwell, Aberdeen, Hibs, St Johnstone, Ross County and Livingston.

And ahead of the split placings behind finalised after the three full round of fixtures, we'll who has to play each other and where. Things can change quickly and three sides - Motherwell, Aberdeen and Hibs - will all be eyeing catching Dundee who currently have a three points advantage over the other in sixth spot in the Scottish Premiership.

As far as the title race goes, the current composition of the top and bottom six, throws up some interesting observations. For instances as things stand Celtic will have played those three sides currently outwith the top six but hoping to get in (Motherwell, Aberdeen and Hibs) each away from home twice, and only once at Celtic Park.

Conversely theRangers will have played Motherwell, Aberdeen and Hibs twice at Ibrox but will only have to go to Fir Park, Pittodrie and Easter Road once in the Scottish Premiership this season.

As things stand Celtic can expect home games against both theRangers and Hearts while we would need to play St Mirren, Kilmarnock and Dundee away from home to equal the home and away fixtures against each opponent. However we go into the split having played 16 home matches and 17 away, so Brendan Rodgers' side will be looking at three home games post split and two away matches. So as things stand one of St Mirren, Kilmarnock or Dundee will NOT get a second home game against Celtic, but will instead play at Celtic Park for a third time in this league campaign.

Back to that observation: "They always seem to be at home"... theRangers will have played 17 home games and 16 away games ahead of the split but in order to level up with their top six opponents would have three further home games against Kilmarnock, St Mirren and Dundee with only two away match against Celtic and Hearts. However to achieve a balance of home and away fixtures and the integrity of the competition, the SPFL is going to have to sent theRangers away from home to one of these venues where they have already placed at twice this season. Will the SPFL do that - meaning theRangers will have THREE away matches post split and just two at Ibrox? If not then Celtic would have every right to object.

The upside for theRangers is that they will not, as things stand, have to play for a second time this season at those three difficult venues, at Fir Park, Pittodrie or Easter Road. That looks like another significant advantage, caused by the random selection of fixtures this season that appears to have given theRangers an easier looking first and third quarter. This was of course pointed out last summer but it seems to have created a bigger problem down the line for the very SPFL administrators. It's a problem of their own making.

Am I right here, or have I made an error? Feedback appreciated before I post on The Star...

We were all told to expect a change in the leadership at the top of the Scottish Premiership last night but anyone having a quick look at the league table today with notice that despite all the hot air over the past week or so, Celtic are still top and theRangers remain in second place.

Someone asked me if last night's game against Ross County was in Dingwall and was surprised when I told them it was at Ibrox. "They always seem to be at home" was his rather peculiar response but perhaps it's not as strange as first thought.

After the third round of fixtures which started after the short winter break (their game last night was one of their games in hand), we go into the split where the top six and bottom six go their separate ways and matters of title winners, European qualification, relegation and the slightly lesser evil of facing a play-off spot are all determined.

As things stand the top six will consist of Celtic, theRangers, Hearts, Kilmarnock, St Mirren and Dundee while the bottom six will have Motherwell, Aberdeen, Hibs, St Johnstone, Ross County and Livingston.

And ahead of the split placings behind finalised after the three full round of fixtures, we'll who has to play each other and where. Things can change quickly and three sides - Motherwell, Aberdeen and Hibs - will all be eyeing catching Dundee who currently have a three points advantage over the other in sixth spot in the Scottish Premiership.

As far as the title race goes, the current composition of the top and bottom six, throws up some interesting observations. For instances as things stand Celtic will have played those three sides currently outwith the top six but hoping to get in (Motherwell, Aberdeen and Hibs) each away from home twice, and only once at Celtic Park.

Conversely theRangers will have played Motherwell, Aberdeen and Hibs twice at Ibrox but will only have to go to Fir Park, Pittodrie and Easter Road once in the Scottish Premiership this season.

As things stand Celtic can expect home games against both theRangers and Hearts while we would need to play St Mirren, Kilmarnock and Dundee away from home to equal the home and away fixtures against each opponent. However we go into the split having played 16 home matches and 17 away, so Brendan Rodgers' side will be looking at three home games post split and two away matches. So as things stand one of St Mirren, Kilmarnock or Dundee will NOT get a second home game against Celtic, but will instead play at Celtic Park for a third time in this league campaign.

Back to that observation: "They always seem to be at home"... theRangers will have played 17 home games and 16 away games ahead of the split but in order to level up with their top six opponents would have three further home games against Kilmarnock, St Mirren and Dundee with only two away match against Celtic and Hearts. However to achieve a balance of home and away fixtures and the integrity of the competition, the SPFL is going to have to sent theRangers away from home to one of these venues where they have already placed at twice this season. Will the SPFL do that - meaning theRangers will have THREE away matches post split and just two at Ibrox? If not then Celtic would have every right to object.

The upside for theRangers is that they will not, as things stand, have to play for a second time this season at those three difficult venues, at Fir Park, Pittodrie or Easter Road. That looks like another significant advantage, caused by the random selection of fixtures this season that appears to have given theRangers an easier looking first and third quarter. This was of course pointed out last summer but it seems to have created a bigger problem down the line for the very SPFL administrators. It's a problem of their own making.

Celtic and Rangers always have an equal number of home and away games over the season. If the Top 6 remains as is we will play one of Dundee, Killie or St Mirren at home three times and they will play one of them away three times.
Last season we played Aberdeen three times at home, and they played Hibs three times at Easter Road.

This is an ongoing issue since Hearts, Hibs and sevco climbed out of the 2nd tier league. It seems to alternate between us and sevco having to play the top teams more away than the other one. It is just that usually we are so far in front that it is irrelevant.

The fixtures are supposedly based on the previous season's top 6, assuming this will be the same (it won't), so you should play the teams in your half home and away twice. They usually factor in the previous season's fixture schedule so the first 11 home & away games are reversed.

The whole thing is a pathetic joke. It is not fair as some teams play a close rival 3 times away or at home, some sides play 20-18 home-away and others 18-20, instead of 19-19 for every club.

If they had the sense to switch to 16 team leagues (30 matches per season, freeing up the schedule to lessen midweek matches) or 18 teams (34 games).

Or even have the split after the mid-winter break do each team plays the other home & away, then the other 5 clubs in their half home & away (2 × 11 + 2 x 5 = 32 matches). But they won't as they'd rather cram in extra matches - often in front of much less than 10,000 fans - against the same bloody clubs over & over & over again.

This is an ongoing issue since Hearts, Hibs and sevco climbed out of the 2nd tier league. It seems to alternate between us and sevco having to play the top teams more away than the other one. It is just that usually we are so far in front that it is irrelevant.

The fixtures are supposedly based on the previous season's top 6, assuming this will be the same (it won't), so you should play the teams in your half home and away twice. They usually factor in the previous season's fixture schedule so the first 11 home & away games are reversed.

The whole thing is a pathetic joke. It is not fair as some teams play a close rival 3 times away or at home, some sides play 20-18 home-away and others 18-20, instead of 19-19 for every club.

If they had the sense to switch to 16 team leagues (30 matches per season, freeing up the schedule to lessen midweek matches) or 18 teams (34 games).

Or even have the split after the mid-winter break do each team plays the other home & away, then the other 5 clubs in their half home & away (2 × 11 + 2 x 5 = 32 matches). But they won't as they'd rather cram in extra matches - often in front of much less than 10,000 fans - against the same bloody clubs over & over & over again.
They won't reduce the amount of games played, home games mean money so whilst a 16 team league with 30 games is what the majority of supporters want (according to various polls etc over the years) a reduction of 4 home games means its a non starter. In addition Sky would reduce the TV contract if they only get 2 Glasgow Derby games instead of 4.
They could make it a 14 team league, play each other twice (26 games) then split into 2 x 7s and play each other another twice (12 games). That would keep the current 38 games and remove the chance of having to play teams 3 times at home or away.
I have no issue with the split, the issue is when it takes place, ie after playing each other 3 times

Apologies for bringing this up, but there's a thread on Follow Follow, saying the complete opposite, that the we have the advantage post split!

As far as them going top on goal difference last night, they were always going to win and I wouldn't have cared if they won 4 nil.

It's up to us, we've stumbled a few times but I still think we have the better team and can play the long game. The two games against them, I think will be brilliant and I can still see them dropping points at other grounds as well!!!

It's up to us!

They'll stick them tae Easter Road or Dens m8 as they're baith Fukin SHITE!! 🤣🤣🤣.. Hopefully the 🐑🐑 make Tap 6 & they'd be at Pittodrie, Tynecastle & Paradise!! 😁😁

Apologies for bringing this up, but there's a thread on Follow Follow, saying the complete opposite, that the we have the advantage post split!

As far as them going top on goal difference last night, they were always going to win and I wouldn't have cared if they won 4 nil.

It's up to us, we've stumbled a few times but I still think we have the better team and can play the long game. The two games against them, I think will be brilliant and I can still see them dropping points at other grounds as well!!!

It's up to us!
We have some important players to come back so that will also give us a boost.Hope we fuck them at Ibrox.

Scrap the split

We're the only country who has a league split . That's so weaker teams can face Celtic Sevco one more time. Boosts the Diddy teams finances. Scrap the split don't need it have a 14 league set up home and away. Make sure that teams adhere to grass surfaces and a50 50 Split of tickets.

We're the only country who has a league split . That's so weaker teams can face Celtic Sevco one more time. Boosts the Diddy teams finances. Scrap the split don't need it have a 14 league set up home and away. Make sure that teams adhere to grass surfaces and a50 50 Split of tickets.
You want to give the hun 30,000 tickets?

Scottish football as we know it is in dire straits we know we have a title chase on our hands. But I'm talking about attendances. Look at our cup tie with St Mirren they should have gave us more tickets. But no they didn't want that and then they cry 😭 about loss of finance. Give me a break I have no sympathy with those lesser clubs who spite their noses to save their face. Look at Killie atown with over 45 000 inhabitants can't fill their stadium. Does not look good when on television live. Major and I mean major shake up is required for Scottish football to survive . Increase our league scrap the split and make sure no more plastic pitches. A 50 50 break in attendances.🍀🍀

Brim I just want what's best for Scottish football. The Huns would be to give us an even split of tickets think of the atmosphere that would generate.
Don't think that happens anywhere in the world. I don't think we could sell 30,000 away tickets to any other team in Scotland. No, 50/50 would never work and not be fair on ST holders.

30,000 mutants coming to Celtic Park... Ffs... Think of our poor toilets...

The atmosphere at Celtic Park when we play the zombies in front of just our fans is excellent, dont believe the hun media spinning the lie about it not being the same, thats just because they want back to Celtic Park now...

Next season back to 7500 or so each but only if they agree to make it safe for our fans and staff... Personally I never want them over our door step again and that includes the *nice *ones that I know..

I would much rather people could go to Celtic Park and not have to worry about being physically or verbally abused especially when its your family you are with...

Members online

Latest posts

Back