Jock Stein

Sorry about that Bridie....I don't think I ever forgot that image ....Twas very strange for me at the time...remember that season end and felt it could only be Big Billy that took over but how Jock was treated never left me.
I was too young to understand. Looking back I find it disgusting the way Big Jock was effectively shoved out the door after being humiliated with the Pools job. Maybe his time was up as manager but he could still have played a massive role within the higher echelons of the club - whatever we could have done to treat him with the respect he deserved. No wonder he looked so broken after being treated like dogshit on the soles of our board's shoes.

Jock, the Shankly brothers and Busby. We'll never see their likes again. Characters forged in our mining communities. Humility, decency, integrity. Irreplaceable legends. Said it before on The Noise, I'm a very lucky Bhoy to have had the honour of living through, and sharing, their times. Rest in Peace. And a million Thank Yous !
The Shankly Bros.? I wouldn't have thought any of his brothers achievements held a candle to Bill, or Jock and Matt for that matter?

The Shankly Bros.? I wouldn't have thought any of his brothers achievements held a candle to Bill, or Jock and Matt for that matter?
Hi TS, fair comment in terms of achievement. However, that's not quite what I was alluding to when I mentioned their character. A wee bit like judging folk by the size of their bank balance. Honesty, integrity humility ? Maybe I'm something of a dinosaur, but those things will always be very important too.

Back