JOSHUA v USYK

MMA is supposedly and obviously a mixture of many different disciplines. But most fighters have started with one martial art form and then when they go to mma they train in several. Usually taekwondo, karate, bjj, muay Thai, wrestling, sambo, boxing.
Usually lads with a wrestling base are poor at striking so as they say in mma they like to lay and pray. In other words smother their opponent. Which is shit to look at.
Taekwondo and karate based fighters usually have a wider stance and are crisp strikers. Like McGregor.
Bjj fighters are very technical grapplers. Chokes and submissions.
The top fighters would be experienced in some form of striking with a bit of wrestling and a lot of bjj.
And therein lies the beauty of MMA.
There are many disciplines and each fight can't be predicted until it starts.
I love that about it. Theres no such thing as a hand-piced fight unless they're just shite.
Everyone has their strengths and it boils down to who gets the fight on their terms
The lad i can't remember his name (retired after losing his Dad) and beating Geithin i think...
He was just so good at the avoiding the strikers, getting the takedown that he was near impossible to beat
love watching the lad geithen (i think)

See i would have thought that the boxer with the speed of the punch would split the ufc fighter to fuck with the difference in gloves deadner imo
Not a chance John. A friend of mine was a pro boxer and got into a fight one night on the street with a karate black belt. He told me that he couldn't hit the fucker and the karate lad kicked the head off him.

And therein lies the beauty of MMA.
There are many disciplines and each fight can't be predicted until it starts.
I love that about it. Theres no such thing as a hand-piced fight unless they're just shite.
Everyone has their strengths and it boils down to who gets the fight on their terms
The lad i can't remember his name (retired after losing his Dad) and beating Geithin i think...
He was just so good at the avoiding the strikers, getting the takedown that he was near impossible to beat
love watching the lad geithen (i think)
You're talking about khabib nurmagomedov and justin gaethje.
Khabib is a sambo fighter which is like wrestling and bjj mixed. He was a master at it. Gaethje is actually a wrestler but prefers to just brawl. He's a lunatic.

That's brilliant. I love hearing stories like that.
My young lad is the quietest lad you'd ever meet. He's won Ulster Leinster all Ireland and European medals. He's never been in a fight outside of martial arts. He eats healthy and is super fit. He's studying hard for his black belt exam which is done in Korean so he needs to know Korean to a certain extent. And what a lot of people don't know, when you get a black belt in any martial art here, you have an automatic grade c GCSE pass in PE. Which is an extra incentive for him as he's obsessed with sport.
Thats how i've found every person i've met in my life who has trained in any combat sport.
There's never attitude, i'm this or that, but there is noticeable self assurance and confidence.
I think when your taught by someone whom you respect and are willing to listen to, youve already decided to get over yourself.
Every parents wish is for their kids to live that sort of life and avoid the street corner culture so it sounds like you've a dedicated and disciplined lad on your hands
Must take after his mother...
I met a guy a month or so ago, taxi driver, my kids were wild as they were excited going to caravan, i was trying to contain them, he's like 'pal let them go...i miss those years' we got talking his kid, he's an amateur boxer etc. he says he spent years shitting himself about the lad becoming a teenager and where life would take him'. 'He doesn't go out, eats well, trains every day, studies past boxers at night'. i asked him is that happiness emanating from you the relief ?
I dreaded the teenage years, but they've been the easiest yet

Probably similar to yourself..

theres a reason that every fight between mma and boxing is done to boxing rules...
if it was any other way, the boxer would lose easily and quickly due to the kicks and wrsetling tactics
I trained under a 10th Dan black belt for years. He taught me how to close the distance in a fight. It is very effective. A lot of lads who've fought McGregor have said that they couldn't cope with his ability to close the distance. Boxers would struggle with this against a good martial artist. A boxer couldnt handle leg kicks either or if he was taken down. Also elbow fighting at close quarters would be a shock to the system of any boxer. My friend fought semi contact kickboxing. Elbows were banned. Then one night he was offered a full contact fight and he said fuck it. First few seconds they clinched then he got an elbow under the chin and he was like what the fuck was that? The fight was over in less than a minute.

Great to see you back again and hope all is well with yourself.
Got no idea what time the fight is due to start but usually close enough to 11pm Mark at a guess
yeah mate im good. well still bit absent minded, losing hours became losing track of days and now it fortnights at a time that dissapear hahaha

im still here just fall asleep a lot and have bad habit of drifting into day dreams even when im awake only to realise its friday 20th aug eh?

was my birthday on 10th and i honestly thought that was wefnesday just there

dunno where my mind drifts to these days but time just woosh away

I trained under a 10th Dan black belt for years. He taught me how to close the distance in a fight. It is very effective. A lot of lads who've fought McGregor have said that they couldn't cope with his ability to close the distance. Boxers would struggle with this against a good martial artist. A boxer couldnt handle leg kicks either or if he was taken down. Also elbow fighting at close quarters would be a shock to the system of any boxer. My friend fought semi contact kickboxing. Elbows were banned. Then one night he was offered a full contact fight and he said fuck it. First few seconds they clinched then he got an elbow under the chin and he was like what the fuck was that? The fight was over in less than a minute.
100%, MMA is a different world from boxing.
My favourite sport is boxing, i love Celtic and my country, but i'm not of a mind to watch any other football. But boxing i love, will watch anybody, love going to amateur fights, you realise a 120lb 14 year old kid can throw a punch you wouldn't like to be on the end of.
But i realise that its likely the reason i enjoy boxing is its simplicity to watch as a punter, theres a few ways to win fights but its a simple sport, 2 guys and a referee in a ring standing up throwing punches. Tyson said it best...you always go in the ring with a plan then someone hits you on the fucking nose and then you realise that wasn't in your plan.

As you say with McGregor, thats why he did decent v Mayweather, he's really a boxer in a different sport. He has the footwork of a boxer. And as we know, if your footwork is spot on, you'll be in positions you want while the opponent will not get into the positions they want.
If we take tomorrow nights fight, if AJ can't 'close the distance' you speak of and get on the inside, its an easy night for Usyk. The last fight, if you watch it, now AJ can box (he did beat Klitschko), but only when he's dictating. When i said earlier he's not the sharpest tool, it was in boxing terms i meant. He is after all a former world champion and very successful, but he had no clue how to close the space to suit him v USYK. Anytime he did, Usyk landed on him. So he went through the motions in the fight. If i go in, i'll get hurt, so won't engage.
Many commentators said he never tried to KO Usyk buthe knew if he got close it was him that would have been knocked out.
I watched that fight and saw a guy that knew he didn't have the tools or the talent to beat Usyk.
But he's had a long time to prepare a different style. He has fought him so has the knowledge of whats required this time. I suspect that this fight will be 12 rounds of AJ chasing Usyk and Usyk showing AJ that superior footwork will leave him very few chances, one fo which he has to take

yeah mate im good. well still bit absent minded, losing hours became losing track of days and now it fortnights at a time that dissapear hahaha

im still here just fall asleep a lot and have bad habit of drifting into day dreams even when im awake only to realise its friday 20th aug eh?

A belated happy birthday TET - I know things will be tough just now. Take care of yourself.

Delighted that something can turn you off, I was led to believe you'd shag a hole in a barbers floor! 🙄
I've got standards Hoopy, and they're fucking low m8

In all honesty, years ago when we went out i was the guy that got drunk very quickly and in keeping up appearances and being a virile young man, decided that the only way home that early was to find the fat ugly ginger cunt that would be grateful for any lumber and offer her a ticket to a world like no other .....
other tactics were employed
Maw ' you want a double bed for your room' no mum they never stay if its a single'
that worked for years, heifers leaving at 2/3 am

one night, a rather large version roughed the night out, my dad came down to wake me up
oh you've company, would you like a breakfast hunny, her plate was the biggest of the 4 as they could hardly eat for laughing, 'where did you meet?' are you seeing each other again', why don't you come up and meet the rest of the family one week? oh and PS, you wany another sausage ...

Last edited:
Some great insight on this thread especially from the deadner on martial arts and contrasts in types of different skill sets on fighting.
Great achievement from your son also.
Have never really followed MMA and had lost interest along time ago in the boxing especially when the televised events moved to Box office PPV.
I remember my brothers three sons all joined the same martial arts from a very young age and all acheived black belts before they were 18...so doing it at 12 is quite an achievement.
The discipline and confidence it has given the lads has stood them all in good stead as they go through life now as adults.
And as has been mentioned they are all unassuming but confident young gents.
I attended the oldest one of the boys wedding recently and his martial arts instructor was at the top table.
That's how much respect there is between them.
Just really wanted to say I've enjoyed reading the comments so thanks.

Maybe go and have a chat with the doctor TET and could point you in the right direction as the mind can be a very complex bit of equipment that can have huge impacts upon our well being in life, especially in traumatic circumstances like you've just experienced.
Look after yourself and don't forget many of us are always here should you ever want or need any help whatsoever
HH and YNWA

hi TET, i was offline for a while, pre-season break.
I was trawling through older threads late last night and saw your post about your mum and made a mental note to message you.
Sorry for your loss but mindful of the situation you were both going through.
I've saw many people go pal, the ones i dread to think but will suffer one day are my heroes, my folks but especially my mum.
As a dad seperated from the kids mum, it used to annoy me that no matter what i did with them or how much fun they had, they couldn't wait to get picked up by their Mum.
But pretty quickly i got over myself, there's nothing i cherish more than knowing they have that love in their lives.
I still take my mum to the caravan with me most weeks when i go.
Apart from being the best cook/cleaner i know, i love seeing her have fun, dancing and getting pished. When she smiles i don't have to.
Theres no greater pleasure than your hero having fun.
I'm not sure if these words will upset you or give you solace, i just started typing and i'm now here.
Like everyone else i offer my best and hope you can find your way through the toughest of times.
As ever, you need anything, an ear or a beer just ask.
You've many friends on here

if you feel the need,

reach out.....

but if anything keep up the posts and asking the questions that nobody else does.....

your a treasure to this site

hi TET, i was offline for a while, pre-season break.
I was trawling through older threads late last night and saw your post about your mum and made a mental note to message you.
Sorry for your loss but mindful of the situation you were both going through.
I've saw many people go pal, the ones i dread to think but will suffer one day are my heroes, my folks but especially my mum.
As a dad seperated from the kids mum, it used to annoy me that no matter what i did with them or how much fun they had, they couldn't wait to get picked up by their Mum.
But pretty quickly i got over myself, there's nothing i cherish more than knowing they have that love in their lives.
I still take my mum to the caravan with me most weeks when i go.
Apart from being the best cook/cleaner i know, i love seeing her have fun, dancing and getting pished. When she smiles i don't have to.
Theres no greater pleasure than your hero having fun.
I'm not sure if these words will upset you or give you solace, i just started typing and i'm now here.
Like everyone else i offer my best and hope you can find your way through the toughest of times.
As ever, you need anything, an ear or a beer just ask.
You've many friends on here

if you feel the need,

reach out.....

but if anything keep up the posts and asking the questions that nobody else does.....

your a treasure to this site
im good mate. Me old dad putting on brave face. But he lost his chatting partner. they used to chat all night and day and he sat at her bedside in hospital for over 14 hours everyday talking to her even though she was pretty much in coma for last 10 days.

think my wee sisters also taking it bad. But i havent been part of reality for long time now. drift in and out of reality with a heavy slide into self contained isolation in my room for most of day sometimes all of the day just zoned out. long before my mum passed i was in la la land most days. It was hard watching the pain and her descent into zombie states with the massive pain meds.

So to me she in a better place. Even when i try to get my body moving again i find another 2 weeks gone by and i drifted out of reality again just to pop back and think wow where have i been. i spend lot of time making weird wee musical expirements on te internet on soundcloud. in last year i made over 500 tunes with other peoples acapellas. All are really awful but hey its fun way to drift out of reality. best bit is wen i relisten back to the tunes i made over last week i really cant remember making them. i vaguely rememer being on computer making the tunes but they dont actually ring any bells when i play them back.

1 day i made 6 whole songs in a day, all really dire. but they didnt ring any bells when i listened to them. its amazing the shit human mind can do unconscious lmao

Maybe go and have a chat with the doctor TET and could point you in the right direction as the mind can be a very complex bit of equipment that can have huge impacts upon our well being in life, especially in traumatic circumstances like you've just experienced.
Look after yourself and don't forget many of us are always here should you ever want or need any help whatsoever
HH and YNWA
I can never get appointment with doctor since covid.

1 i get the state police inquisitor receptionist asking what i need doctor for, which i refuse to divulge since she has no hipocratic oath

2 she then says call back at 845 for on day appointment but i very seldom awake at that time and when i am im usually so disfunctional in my head that i cant face phoning the doctor. besides ive being going see them for over 10 years including mental and endocrinology experts but i genuinely think they either havent a friggin clue about medicine or they are orange barstewards and just give me the runaround that i dont bother going anymore.

Weird thing is when im not feeling bad i go to doctors therefore it looks like im actually ok and when im ill i cant face the cnuts

catch 22

but my diabetes is getting bad again, probably why im drifting into lala land more often

need piss more and more often recently and im drinking over 10 litres of diet coke every day lmao

When im in lala land i aint feeling ill and when they bring me back to reality i realise i prefered it in lalaland and well its not long in coming back

Think usyk wins easy. Joshua has been very well promoted by Hearn to become the biggest name in boxing (apart from Canelo) but his best win was against klitchko, who was well past it at the time. He won gold at the London Olympics but lost at least 2 fights on the way to gold. Wilder would take his head off and fury would embarrass him, a bit like usyk will do tonight. But to his credit, he has raised the profile of boxing but I’m afraid he’ll be found out again tonight.

Usyk is a very well schooled boxer, he apparently had more than 300 amateur bouts so he knows every trick in the book. He has much better movement and range of punches than AJ, he's also a bit of a character.
I'll go for a fairly convincing points win for Usyk and a nice wee celebration for Ukraine 🇺🇦

Members online

No members online now.

Back