League Cup QF: Motherwell v Celtic, Wed 19-Oct-2022 at 6:15pm

Pretty comfy win in the end, never really in doubt to be honest, although I thought that like most Mercedes our big German took a while to warm up 😉, after which he was decent, and it seemed as though our keepers kicking was a bit off at times, you'd think someone called Big Ben could strike it better 🤦, anyhoo some very decent performances last night, Abada Moy CCV JJ O'Riely all above average, Taylor a step above them with Hatate Motm imho.

Was delighted to see Kyogo bust the net and shut the commentary team up, they were no doubt going to use the wee man missing a couple as a stick to beat him with, well done Kyogo.

Up next Edina dobs and the VAR squad.🦖🦖

Mon the hoops 7️⃣

Pretty comfy win in the end, never really in doubt to be honest, although I thought that like most Mercedes our big German took a while to warm up 😉, after which he was decent, and it seemed as though our keepers kicking was a bit off at times, you'd think someone called Big Ben could strike it better 🤦, anyhoo some very decent performances last night, Abada Moy CCV JJ O'Riely all above average, Taylor a step above them with Hatate Motm imho.

Was delighted to see Kyogo bust the net and shut the commentary team up, they were no doubt going to use the wee man missing a couple as a stick to beat him with, well done Kyogo.

Up next Edina dobs and the VAR squad.🦖🦖

Mon the hoops 7️⃣
They pushed up really high with the press and it led to some perilous moments at the back which we played out of.. just, but that wont do in Europe.
It led to seigrist hitting long a couple of times but also helped us to break at speed, our play bringing their packed lines out of the 30 yard area was good to see and clever.
A good win at not the easiest of places under the lights.

We need to mix it up a bit, like we did at the start of the season, teams are high pressing against us, the tikka, takka passing doesn’t always work, go long ball game sometimes, if we can beat the offside trap no one can catch miada or kyogo in a foot race, even the threat that your gonna ping one, keeps the defence hanging back on their heels
Just throw it in early and let the speedsters chase it down 👍

We need to mix it up a bit, like we did at the start of the season, teams are high pressing against us, the tikka, takka passing doesn’t always work, go long ball game sometimes, if we can beat the offside trap no one can catch miada or kyogo in a foot race, even the threat that your gonna ping one, keeps the defence hanging back on their heels
Just throw it in early and let the speedsters chase it down 👍
Watching Alisson Becker at Liverpool assisting again by performing a quick kick upfield, I feel we should be trying this sometimes too. I mean, we have some of the fastest players in the game upfront and they have the ability to control balls fired at them. This will help keep our opponents more honest with the high press as they will be more reluctant to commit so high up the pitch, as well as lead to even more chances to score.

Watching Alisson Becker at Liverpool assisting again by performing a quick kick upfield, I feel we should be trying this sometimes too. I mean, we have some of the fastest players in the game upfront and they have the ability to control balls fired at them. This will help keep our opponents more honest with the high press as they will be more reluctant to commit so high up the pitch, as well as lead to even more chances to score.
I couldn't agree more.

Have been surprised by the lack of this really BB, our goalies, you now see are desperate to get rid of the ball , the faster they recycle it into play the better.
Hart especially when he's focused has a great long throw he could utilise that instead of the obvious 15 yarder that he's been caught out with a few times now.

I dont know if Ange views possession like Rodgers did, at all costs keep possession.
Does seem a wasted opportunity to involve our keeper so much in recycling the ball but hes only involved in the build ups from the back.

Motherwell pressed us high and hard , they pressed mistakes from us, cant complain too much because our quality shone through in the end , it's still a concern for when we do face Shakhtar though.

I just want to see us continue having a good go at games.
If we continue to make the chances the goals will come , I'm compelled to believe that.
If we keep this side together for another assault on Europe I'll be happy with that.
This group of players give a vibe off that something is going to happen , domestic results have been awesome .
If we can capitalise upon our chances in the last 2 group games and show we can score then I'll be happy with that given we're well ahead of schedule, surely Ange must believe that in his head as well?
He's never gone out , spent cash on a side, a group of players like that before in his career and is still recruiting.

McInnes response was worse ...he focused on the fact that Laugherty would be " a big miss "
The only part of that that rings true is he is indeed a big girls blouse.
You know if asked he would just say oh I've answered this question before and that would be it, no further details or questions when really this thing should be held aloft as the guy who is letting down the " show racism the red card" and " FARE" and all the other bullshit nonsense we're subjected to as almost any club's disclaimer act policy these days.

If those organisations were serious in their messages to " root it out at its source " bollocks , then they would out even moreso this story and hold it up as an example for kids to see how not to be a professional " football player" , he should be ridiculed across borders if they're serious about their message.

The player will hide away somewhere like Will Smith and reflect on himself as a person in India, come back a changed man.
All bs , methinks 😉

"I want to deeply apologise to the club, supporters and my family for the distress caused," Lafferty said.

Notice - there is no apology to those he shouted abuse at.
McInnes response was worse ...he focused on the fact that Laugherty would be " a big miss "
The only part of that that rings true is he is indeed a big girls blouse.
That's the problem here, in both instances it's all about the impact on the club, impact on the player, the ' embarrassment ' to the fans utter garbage,
the actual owning of, or acknowledgement of responsibility " I'm sorry i now realise that I've done something wrong, " is missing .
Just the part " hes a big miss, sorry troops I got caught being myself " that's all blanked and pigeonholed away nicely.
Where the AF are "Show Racism the Red Card" ?
Have they anything to say?
" we're gutted to hear this story" along those lines likely.

If that's how they deal with it then piss off with the SRTRC and FARE and all the other bollocks ones who are likely just getting some cnut rich anyway.
No one here needs be told how to behave or respect others nor be told how to show respect, sympathy or anything else.

- rant over 🤯

Anyone else pleased to see the condition of Fir Park? It looked in good nick.

Meanwhile over at Tynecastle where the grass is seldom cut when Celtic come to visit...
I did, I saw big sutty, stewart and the burd ( what was her name again ? How could I forget that 🤔),
All standing on the touchline pre ko and ht .
I thought it looked like nice n green, shiny even.
Thought that the lights were playing a part but apparently Well are the 4th club to install this SIS surface

The new hybrid surface that only Celtic , Hearts and Rangers have, laid this year but aye , did notice it looking particularly well.
95% grass playing surface,
5% grass commentators touchline telly patch.

Edit: Nice of them to consider taking away the slope on the pitch as they lay a hybrid surface on top, cutting edge planning there.

Last edited:
I did, I saw big sutty, stewart and the burd ( what was her name again ? How could I forget that 🤔),
All standing on the touchline pre ko and ht .
I thought it looked like nice n green, shiny even.
Thought that the lights were playing a part but apparently Well are the 4th club to install this SIS surface

The new hybrid surface that only Celtic , Hearts and Rangers have, laid this year but aye , did notice it looking particularly well.
95% grass playing surface,
5% grass commentators touchline telly patch.

Thanks for the info ma mhan.....it should be mandatory imo for all pitches in the SPFL to be like this...

Thanks for the info ma mhan.....it should be mandatory imo for all pitches in the SPFL to be like this...
It is better but we've seen CP looking worse for wear a few times once we fitted the surface ours caught some disease.
So there are problems that can affect it , hopefully Well dont fall victim to it.
£2 million or so isnt cheap for a football field.

It is better but we've seen CP looking worse for wear a few times once we fitted the surface ours caught some disease.
So there are problems that can affect it , hopefully Well dont fall victim to it.
£2 million or so isnt cheap for a football field.
It is the grass that gets the disease rather than anything to do with the hybrid part (which actually helps). They had it up here at Pittodrie a few years ago and the wee beasties munch on the fresh shoots meaning the grass goes bare. Murrayfield also had a massive problem with the same disease and this was cured when they also switched to a hybrid pitch. It is the problem that football is a winter sport here as the grass doesn't naturally grow when the ambient temperature is below a certain threshold or if there is insufficient light (that's why we use the lamps on the pitch to encourage growth).

Motherwell always used to be about the worst pitch so it is good to see they have improved it. I doubt many other top team clubs can afford this at the moment.

Last edited:
Back