Lenny's Scott Brown dilemma

I think Broony is deeply passionate about the game.
There were times I think when Ronny was the manager when he used to go and watch all the youth and reserve games..think it was Brendan who told him to calm it a bit and enjoy his family time more...He definitely has the experience , leadership and motivational skills to be a manager.
I hope so, Docco, I really do. Maybe a year or two away from Parkhead to hone his art and broaden his experience will set him up for bigger things to come. Too many decent football men get lost to the game and it would be a shame if that happened to Scott Brown.

The 4-5 month lockdown was probably the worst thing to happen to Brown. Yes he's still fit but is a mile off being match sharp and so far hasn't looked like he's going to return even to his diminished influence of last season. He shouldn't start games, in all games he looks off the pace especially in the first half when the game is played at a higher pace and intensity. As it slows in the second half he improves a bit. He should remain club captain, be involved in every matchday squad and be used more sparingly. I thought the season before last when he was out injured, coinciding with our best form of the season, he did an excellent job coming on for the last 20-25 minutes away to Rosenborg in EL and in the LC final against Aberdeen where his experience helped us to see out the victories. He could still serve us well in that diminished role coupled with a few starts in 'easier' home games at CP when we want to rest CalMac or others.
I said that before that the lockdown was tougher on Broony than most - he was actually better just have a 3 week breather then start up again.

I liked our style of play when he was missing a couple of years ago, but we still need Broony's grit and fight in a lot of games. I like the idea of bringing him on to see out games rather than starting him.

MON had to make this tough decision with Paul Lambert when NFL was in the dressing room and then a few years later Lenny went through the same as he needed to be phased out, so he can draw on a lot of experience. Plus I hope Broony will be honest enough to admit he is not able to perform at the same high standards he has set for himself.

He is such an important leader for us and so he will play a huge part in training, in the dressing room and on the pitch.

Totally agree with you Tony, when Broony is not on the team sheet or has to go off it's a massive lift to the other team. I don't like it when our fans are calling for him to be dropped as I recon he is still worth playing. The Board made a major blunder by not getting John McGinn, a good player in the Broony mould.

The title explains the content. Lenny has a dilemma and a decision to make sooner rather than later about the legend that is oor Broony. Having watched Broony a few times now I am beginning to fear that this , THEE most important season of them all is perhaps a season too far for our beloved captain. I find it very uncomfortable viewing watching Broony being left for dead whether its v the hungarians or Motherwell you can pretty much guarantee that he will get booked for bringing someone down because theyve waltzed passed him like he wasnt there. At 35yrs old (almost unheard of for a midfielder) its plain to me that whilst he still has the heart and the nous to get himself through games, the legs and speed during a match are fading quickly, it would be a terrible shame to witness broony be embarrassed regularly by players who couldn't hope to lace his boots a season or 2 ago. Yes weve heard this before and hes always come back to prove us all wrong. However I'm now of the belief that broony cannot be playing 90+ minutes for us week in week out. 45 minutes perhaps. Celtic have such a strong midfield and weve shown how devastating we can be without broony in there. It's a dilemma because the influence he has on the team and the importance of this season, will lenny take him out? Would you take him out or use him sparingly? We have players in bitton and soro along with calmac Christie rogic in there. I would like to see broony get promoted ( not dropped or demoted) to the backroom team. Hes perfect for that role right now and is nobody's yes man. I fear (with no winter break this season) it's not going to get a whole lot better for him) pray I'm wrong about that. Still theres a decision to be made and it must be made sooner rather than later HH

Gt post except 4 dat bit
We do hav a very strong d best attackin midfield ability n depth (4 d spfl).
But we don hav a strong defensiv or ball winnin midfield, we only a ltd no depth we only hav Broony.

which makes yur & r concerns evn more worryin n urgent 2 sort, as Broony @35 is not able 2 do it on his own anymor

I'm not so sure, Docco. I get the feeling that boys like Broonie make the most of their playing career, because when they're done with it - then they're done with the whole thing.

As a young man, he faced huge personal loss and that sometimes leads to folk realising that there are more important things than football. The pressures in management and the constant scrutiny might not be his bag and he may just want to enjoy his family away from the intensity of the media and fans.
I hope I'm wrong, but Broonie looks like the type of lad that likes to influence things directly as well. A big part of management is trusting the team to do their job and I don't know if Broonie's made that way. He looks like he enjoys being at the sharp end of things and being on the sidelines might not suit his personality.

:)
U hav not got 2 wondr or hope as Broony has made it klear in interviews he wants 2 b a coach n a Manager, n wiv Celtic his aim.
He wasny just idly watchin under age Celtic teams ply in his spare time, he was doin his first coaching badges.

:)
U hav not got 2 wondr or hope as Broony has made it klear in interviews he wants 2 b a coach, n a coach wiv Celtic his aim.
He wasny just idly watchin under age Celtic teams ply in his spare time, he was doin his first coaching badges.
I'm all good and at peace with that, Hoopster. I'd like nothing more than for him to continue being a Celtic legend.

I'd still prefer he takes a bit of time out to serve his managerial apprenticeship elsewhere though. I think it's a difficult job to go from being a team-mate to then becoming a coach/manager and he can serve his time without being constantly heckled by the media.

He knows the expectations of the job at Celtic and he's intelligent enough to know that it can be a career killer if he doesn't get it right.

I would love to Winter to be brave enough to leave the decision up to Broony when he thinks the time is right to hang up his boots,any season other than this one I am sure it would have been his choice when to hang up the boots but unfortunately this is no ordinary season and he is no ordinary player.
We definitely owe this man the utmost respect but I am sure the same guy will realise everything which is done this season has to be done for the club and its supporters.
But Listen Bhoys and Ghirls we are talking about a legend here as if he was finished this is the same guy who gave up his international status for the club and supporters he loves so that he could get to this stage in his career 10 IAR, I genuinely believe Broony took into consideration that 10 IAR was a possibility and if it was possible he was not going to miss out,so whether it is 10-15-20 games he plays this season he will still be around to receive his 10 IAR championship medal and I think we will all know when he lifts that trophy for the 10th time in a row,this was his ultimate goal..

HH.
👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Gt post except 4 dat bit
We do hav a very strong d best attackin midfield ability n depth (4 d spfl).
But we don hav a strong defensiv or ball winnin midfield, we only a ltd no depth we only hav Broony.

which makes yur & r concerns evn more worryin n urgent 2 sort, as Broony @35 is not able 2 do it on his own anymor
Well weve just added Turnbull to the midfield hopefully he , like soro will hit the ground running. Also big Nir , I wonder if he remembers that he is actually a quality midfielder with a howitzer of a shot on him. Returning Nir to his natural position would no doubt see some rustiness but with Christie, McGregor, Rogic , moi, Forrest , ntcham as our midfielders I do believe that we have the strongest midfield in the country by miles. Of course injuries wont always permit us such luxury but we also have the youngsters in Connell, Henderson and mikey johnstone to come through , the latter 2 having already made a minor breakthrough of sorts. Still it is true as you said broony is THEE ball winner and main man at breaking up opposition moves his vision is second to none. Weve now seen ronnie, br and now once more lenny looking for his replacement when the time comes. Ronnie made a decent effort at that in brining in ajer, Rodgers kouassi well the less said the better , soro ? Who knows but lenny seems him good enough to make the bench and that's a plus in itself. Fact is (imo of course) we will most likely have to break the bank , possibly spend more than weve ever spent on 1 player to get a replacement for our captain. As green sprig said he is no ordinary player , recalling the majority of the support wanted him gone when ronnie was in charge and it was a majority I believe, only for him to raise the bar again. In an ideal world soro will be able to share some of the burden. Weve lost a few big characters in the dressing room of late , lustig was a big (though necessary) loss to the squad. So I think that we have to, when the time comes spend big and probably bigger than ever as how do you replace such a man, winner, captain? Not with young projects imo we will need a ready to go winner with the experience and nous of what it takes captaining a massive club. I remember many eyebrows were raised when we forked out over 4mill for him and what a bargain that has been. I dont believe for a second that McGinn would have been capable of replacing broony as good a player as he is hes not in the same mould. Not a leader on and off the field great player though just not right for that job. I almost feel like I'm being sacrilegious even talking about a replacement for the legend broony is but the time will come and we will have to be ready for it because broony is a worldwide name , serial winner, no nonsense character. A shithouse of a player the fitba hacks like to call players like broony and I dont mean SMSM hacks broony is internationally recognized as a hardman but fair(ish) player . So I'm encouraged by the fact soro is making the bench at least. From what little I've seen of him he looks to be a ball winner but that's only the start he must be able to visualise what the opposition are trying to do and stop it before its begun , Raleigh the troops and give them a rocket when required. Soro may become that player I hope but he cant be now ir we'd have seen more of him. It's for these reasons that I believe we will have to spend heavily for the next captain as I dont believe either that calmac is that player nor anyone else currently at the club. I just hope it is the lack of games hes had this season and we'll soon see the real deal broony. Cos with no winter break this season theres no going away to recharge the batteries, we can set up differently tactically but at 35 and with the sacrifices hes made for the club the more I think on it the more its phishing me off that we dont already have a ready made replacement , I mean weve only had what 3 years or more to dwell upon it. Although it does take the board about 3 years to identify , target, and sign a player anyway 😆. One Scott Brown, captain, legend , collector of trophies medals , records, capable of self resurection, a player that we (certainly i) will never see the like of again. The 9 posters above the brazen head says it all. They say 1 picture can tell many stories but NINE pictures with captain invincible holding aloft the league trophy 9 seasons running? It really is incredible, words fail you when trying to explain such monumental achievement ☘

Broony, is one of those special, unique players who come around once in a.............this season, of all season's, his presence will be massive on and off the field,like you say Winter, i have high hopes for young Soro, this season,with the amount of games,no way can Broony play every game,who can step up?, well, this season ah think it just might be, big Shane Duffy! 🍺 🥳

Broony, is one of those special, unique players who come around once in a.............this season, of all season's, his presence will be massive on and off the field,like you say Winter, i have high hopes for young Soro, this season,with the amount of games,no way can Broony play every game,who can step up?, well, this season ah think it just might be, big Shane Duffy! 🍺 🥳
He is one of those characters that we are desperately in need of in the dressing room and I'd agree wholeheartedly with you MD his signing for us is quite possibly the best and most important of them all. He is indeed in the same kind of mould as broony and it's easy to forget that he almost died in 2010 lacerating his liver , lost 3 pints of blood in an injury collision with a goalie. He hasnt played too much at the top level for a top club , Everton being the biggest club I can think of but his over 30 appearances for Eire makes up for that. Strangely enough I mentioned that eyebrows were raised by our supporters when we paid hibs over 4 million for his signature, Duffy also raised eyebrows when he became Brighton's all time ( at the time ) record signing for 4million odds bucks . He also switched allegiances from NIreland to Eire so the zombies are gony love him haha. Theres quite a few parallels between him and broony you could make and the fact that he has played over 30 internationals for Eire he will fit right in at paradise and not a project either but an experienced international who wont be fazed by anything except maybe when he rolls up to rugby park , or one of the other fake plastic pitches looking for a football field haha "where the tucks the grass?" . The board have taken stick again as so every season. I cant fault them for the amount of money they have spent in the last 2 seasons. I have been quite pleasantly impressed with how much theyve put in. Not so much impressed by how they went about some of the signings like shved who anyone can see is a player but we cannot afford luxury passenger players (I nearly choked on my breakfast when I read we were allegedly looking at yaya Toure 5 years too late) and bayo , has he always had injury problems or just our training regime is so so tough all the players say that. Its still unclear whether he'll be back but I hope so for he didnt get the chance to shine except under the disco lights when he signed. We should've have repeated the christie manoeuvre and sent him to a scots club Aberdeen or killie wouldve let us see what he can do at our level not the french 2nd div which is miles behind the standard of the SPFL (ahem , ahem , choke , spluttter, bs!!) 😆

The title explains the content. Lenny has a dilemma and a decision to make sooner rather than later about the legend that is oor Broony. Having watched Broony a few times now I am beginning to fear that this , THEE most important season of them all is perhaps a season too far for our beloved captain. I find it very uncomfortable viewing watching Broony being left for dead whether its v the hungarians or Motherwell you can pretty much guarantee that he will get booked for bringing someone down because theyve waltzed passed him like he wasnt there. At 35yrs old (almost unheard of for a midfielder) its plain to me that whilst he still has the heart and the nous to get himself through games, the legs and speed during a match are fading quickly, it would be a terrible shame to witness broony be embarrassed regularly by players who couldn't hope to lace his boots a season or 2 ago. Yes weve heard this before and hes always come back to prove us all wrong. However I'm now of the belief that broony cannot be playing 90+ minutes for us week in week out. 45 minutes perhaps. Celtic have such a strong midfield and weve shown how devastating we can be without broony in there. It's a dilemma because the influence he has on the team and the importance of this season, will lenny take him out? Would you take him out or use him sparingly? We have players in bitton and soro along with calmac Christie rogic in there. I would like to see broony get promoted ( not dropped or demoted) to the backroom team. Hes perfect for that role right now and is nobody's yes man. I fear (with no winter break this season) it's not going to get a whole lot better for him) pray I'm wrong about that. Still theres a decision to be made and it must be made sooner rather than later HH
Been saying it myself it's time he was fazed out we need fresh legs in midfield I don't see why we can't play a 352 way jamsey on left until elyonousi gets upto speed n frimngpong on right wing and midfield of turnbull calmac and christie for talking sake some fellow Tim's need to realise it can't last forever we awe love broony but it's time to face facts hes not having the same impact anymore it's time he became a coach maybe

Same as last year, Broonie is finished, Guy is not having any of our opinions.(y)
He will do everything and anything it takes to be a positive contributor to this 10 season and it is early days just yet. I hope with all my heart that he can rediscover his form cos an in form broony is a force to be reckoned with. I hope lenny finds a way to get the best out of him and doesnt overplay him to the detriment of both the team and broony.

Hes 35 noo mate it comes to every footballer at arse end of they're career this is no time for sentimentality I know hes still fit as a butchers dug but it's time to move on he will always be one of us but times caught up way him
He will move to the side at the end of this season, makes sense and in midfield and now defence we are getting stronger to allow him rest time, 20 game season Scott Brown is less than half of what we pushed from him other seasons, so 20 games max including in big cup games will see him through.

Members online

No members online now.

Back