Lille v Celtic - Match Thread

Having just watched the highlights again from a more collected viewpoint, these are things I'd point out about the game. It's a marvellous result , people can disagree as we lost a comfortable lead but its undeniably a superb result against a big 5 club (again) . Duffy , he's now shown himself a shambles truly of Efe-esque material both domestically and in European competition. Perhaps hes feeling too much pressure with Ireland's poor form, our not great form and his own awful form. He needs taken out of the limelight for his own good right now like Barkas he'll return. Bain, have to say he was excellent if not inspired but penalty saved , important saves, still has a tendency to rebound the ball back into play he must drop this. Reading our line up, our first half , given how sharp Lille were in that first 10-15min and they were on it , as I read that line up I thought this is more like us here, okay ajeti still not 100% but still causes problems. Elyounnoussi? In his proper position and we see again what he brings v any club in the world , on his game I think hes world class. As sharp as they were, we were, in that first 45 simply brilliant. Away in france. Brilliant 👏👏BUT and there always is one these days, we keep giving away set pieces , free kicks or corners and that's what teams play for against us I believe. Any of the aforementioned means were automatically in trouble as we cannot defend high balls into the box or fast and low balls into the box head height or lower that's a fact every Scottish side will try to exploit. Defending set or moving plays, we switch off, our best players often just for that second they switch off and we pay for that almost every game through penalties, free headers or bain who really impressed being exposed at the far post where he shouldn't be. Its a mentality thing right now I think another time we'd have seen the last 2 games out to victory. A draw is probably a fair score if painful to admit and just falling short but no-one can deny their quality in the 2nd 45. However I am well aware that as lenny said pre match they are a good team but we are a good team too. And the better side that we play the better that we play it brings the best out in us and its this experience European football is a necessity for us. To inspire us to stay and go beyond that level. Had frimpong passed rather than dillied I'm sure we'd have scored a 3rd as they could also have scored 3 . It was a super game of football that was great to watch. Now it's back to that no small matter of a 4th consecutive treble. Something I desperately want and the club and all connected to it will get such a lift from that. I read the finals in December?.perhaps someone might correct me on that. Lastly , they can go 9pts clear but weve been that far or further behind before and that can soon be returned to 3pts. No one gave us a hope tonight but we showed the world again write Glasgow Celtic off at your peril. HH (thanks for reading my latest novel)
Great points winter even though I think you might have been a bit harsh on duffy tonight as he did have some solid moments also.
We also need moi to show up like he did tonight in our Scottish matches and not just the European ones for which he can have a tendency to do so. Shame we never got to see Turnbull as still think he can be a better all round player for us than ntcham.
Like all I'm really looking forward to Sunday and an even better result than tonight

After almost a year out, Shane Duffy has played 16 games since Sept 3,whit does that mean? feck knows,but since 12 of Sept he's played 12 games for us,and another 2 for Ireland in just 6 weeks,whit does that mean? feck knows, but it's a lot of games for a player at a new club,with an unsettled defence,Barkas/Bain, Julienne gone, now Ajer gone, back 3? back 4? whit does that mean? feck knows! 🍺 🥳

Last edited:
Great points winter even though I think you might have been a bit harsh on duffy tonight as he did have some solid moments also.
We also need moi to show up like he did tonight in our Scottish matches and not just the European ones for which he can have a tendency to do so. Shame we never got to see Turnbull as still think he can be a better all round player for us than ntcham.
Like all I'm really looking forward to Sunday and an even better result than tonight
Our new Bhoy Diego, seems to have a good understanding with MOI
Good to see and we had some good chances tonight
Was impressed with Ajeti and his efforts, holding up the ball and battling away, just needs to stop looking for the foul and going to ground
The team looked solid tonight, and Scott Bain was good when he had to be
I don't fault him for their goal at the back post, Christie and Broony left their opposition and Bain couldn't do much about it
Happy with the result, although it would have been sweeter, to get the 3 points
HH

Where did you watch the highlights Winter?

Absolutely gutted when their second goal went in, mostly for Lennon.

He's had it hard (and a lot he has brought on him self by being stubbon and picking terrible teams/formations) and has had very little luck so far this season too. Again, a bouncing ball in the box and it gets proded in (just like Ranger's second).

The draw was a fair result in the cold light of day.... again mind he could have pulled Ntcham off in the second half one disapeared after having a good game in the first half (he's my scapegoat to that's a possitive).

Maybe a draw is a blessing as there is still alot to work on, we weren't under a great deal of pressure but we all knew that it would be 2-2 or even 3-2 them.

We all would have excepted a 2-2 draw before the start so we just have to take the possitives. Just a shame as 3 points would have been excellent and taken the pressure off us in Europa.

I'm probably a bit sad but watched the game three times in its entirety, and my main points would cover a few overall aspects.

In the main it was a tale of two halves where we were excellent in the first half with dynamic displays from most of the players, just a couple of unnecessary overcooking during play when it would be better to have a go. I think it would have led to at least another goal.
Shane had a slip when it was better to stand his ground and block rather than tackle, leading to the pen....NEVER a pen....anyway.
However a good display from Bain saw no harm done.

Referee was poor especially regarding the shocking 27th min tackle on Ajeti, dismissed by the negligent referee..... and surprisingly Sutton's commentary. Almost a smashed left foot and metatarsals! Watch it again if you can/dare it was a potential season ender. Should have been yellow card....or not surprising red.
Ajer ....off injured ..hopefully minor...looks like potential groin strain.

Ncham was decent this half with two stray passes.
Laxalt/Mo/ McGregor each 10/10.... inseparable
Lennon ..will be very pleased 9/10
Overall first half ...8.5/10.

Second half....
Lille came on to a better game with excellent subs and had us ragged for most of the half although we still had a few chances where we cut them open and maybe did better if we had a go rather than walking it in......maybe get a deflection or pen ourselves.

For me, by 55th minute we looked like we were in trouble and a goal was coming....very soon.
Ntcham slack with at least 4 passes in a 15 minute spell... I always liked the guy but he needed replaced.
...full of running, but passing was getting worse as the game went on.
It was obvious before an hour was played, subs were urgent even at 2 nil, the defence were wrong footed several times and without Laxalt......it would have been worse.
Lennon refused to freshen legs early enough and when he did it was too late.... 2-2.....

Things improved slightly...when Ncham came off with Welsh and Bitton putting in solid displays...levelling up the defensive balance.

Can't help thinking Griffiths would have revelled in the chances we had, especially the first half and a likely scorer at some point.

Soro showed a little bit of promise and must get more playing time.

2-2 it stayed ....and for me Laxalt was MOTM.......just because without him all of Mo's great work would have been undone ....and a defeat was staring down at us.
Calum McGregor was a fraction behind him.........and put in the best performance of the rest out of our defence....

Lennon would have taken that result before we travelled...as would I...but am convinced had he made changes earlier we would have come home with all 3 points.
Lenny had a poorer half this time just because of his indecision to sub earlier and an unsure mix-up... clearly heard next to the camera mic when Oli was replaced.

It will convince others who doubt him and his many late substitutions in previous games, but....... by his own mouth yesterday he confirmed to them of his own frailties and un- sureity!

Top two players were;
Laxalt...9/10
Mcgregor...8.9/10

Duffy...6/10
Ntcham... 5.5/10

Lennon.....6/10
Celtic 7.5/10

Russian Referee...... 2.5/10....very poor performance.

...its only the way I see it.....after 3 viewings...
Overall.....I'm happy..playing against a very good team and away from home .... but wonder what could have been.

🙂

the Great Jc, basically how I saw the game good summary.

Lennon did need to make the subs earlier..... but hinsight is a wonderful thing. You can see confidence slowly coming back to the team. And if we can get through this spell and win at the weekend, thing should start to look better.

If we can get through this poor spell and be 3 points behind for the run in.......I know they'll bottle it.

I'm probably a bit sad but watched the game three times in its entirety, and my main points would cover a few overall aspects.

In the main it was a tale of two halves where we were excellent in the first half with dynamic displays from most of the players, just a couple of unnecessary overcooking during play when it would be better to have a go. I think it would have led to at least another goal.
Shane had a slip when it was better to stand his ground and block rather than tackle, leading to the pen....NEVER a pen....anyway.

Referee was poor especially regarding the shocking 27th min tackle on Ajeti, dismissed by the negligent referee..... and surprisingly Sutton's commentary. Almost a smashed left foot and metatarsals! Watch it again if you can/dare it was a potential season ender. Should have been yellow card....or not surprising red.

Second half....
Lille came on to a better game with excellent subs and had us ragged for most of the half although we still had a few chances where we cut them open and maybe did better if we had a go rather than walking it in......maybe get a deflection or pen ourselves.

For me, by 55th minute we looked like we were in trouble and a goal was coming....very soon.
Ntcham slack with at least 4 passes in a 15 minute spell... I always liked the guy but he needed replaced.
It was obvious before an hour was played, subs were urgent even at 2 nil, the defence were wrong footed several times and without Laxalt......it would have been worse.
Lennon refused to freshen legs early enough and when he did it was too late.... 2-2.....

Things improved slightly...when Ncham came off with Welsh and Bitton putting in solid displays...levelling up the defensive balance.

Can't help thinking Griffiths would have revelled in the chances we had, especially the first half and a likely scorer at some point.

2-2 it stayed ....and for me Laxalt was MOTM.......just because without him all of Mo's great work would have been undone ....and a defeat was staring down at us.
Calum McGregor was a fraction behind him.........and put in the best performance of the rest out of our defence....

Lennon would have taken that result before we travelled...as would I...but am convinced had he made changes earlier we would have come home with all 3 points.
Lenny had a poorer half this time just because of his indecision to sub earlier and an unsure mix-up... clearly heard next to the camera mic when Oli was replaced.

It will convince others who doubt him and his many late substitutions in previous games, but....... by his own mouth yesterday he confirmed to them of his own frailties and un- sureity!

Top two players were;
Laxalt...9/10
Mcgregor...8.9/10

Duffy...6/10
Ntcham... 5.5/10

Lennon.....6/10
Celtic 7.5/10

Overall.....I'm happy..playing against a very good team and away from home .... but wonder what could have been.

🙂
In my opinion, this is a perfect summary of the match. Thanks.

Last edited:
elyouousi seems much more suited to inside left rather than through middle imo

Wee frimpong passing and positional sense was much better last night, he even had a decent shot near end.

Still no sure he wouldn't be better as inside right

ntcham for me was too high up pitch but I suspect he been told to hold the positions he does as counter threat, but for me his presence is wasted too high up park, but I think he would be hooked if he wasn't doing what he asked to do.

But first half I thought the movement and shape were much better than anything I seen this season, from us

still think McGregor would be our best 10 since he does track back better than any of our 10s and he has quick feet and also can shoot get beyond the strikers and generally very dangerous when he isn't held deeper

but no sure we have better option in deeper role

maybe Soro will start getting gametime

Brown looks really tired quickly these days, no sure he got another season after this one.

All in all I was very impressed by whole team performance even under the cosh

We were very good considering the movement and good varied attacking play they often strung together

they had a few players id love to steal if they play that dynamic always

very good result all things considered

woulda been nice to win but coulda lost as well

end to end stuff

joy to watch at times from both teams

hope we can maintain that standard for rest of season

Ok, that was sooooo much better than practically everything we've seen from the team so far this season.

That first half was great to watch with hardly a failure anywhere on the park.

I've no idea what the guy in the Milan team is like that's keeping Laxalt out but ffs, he must be the best LB on the planet! I posted on here when we signed him that if we got 70% of the player he was just a couple of years ago then we've won a watch. Well it looks like someone just dropped a shipment of Rolex in our laps! :love:

Not a failure in the first half anywhere in the team from what I could see.

Second half was different.

Had Moi taken a dig when he was clean through then who knows where that would've taken us. I'm at a complete loss why he didn't. He had ample opportunity to do so and for a guy with two goals in the first half to balls that chance of a European hat-trick up was shocking.

Duffy continues to give me sleepless nights and requires benching. He's going to cost us precious league points this season just like he already has at Pittodrie.

McGregor played out his skin and was just behind Laxalt for MOTM. Bain did his chances of keeping the gloves no harm with a solid display and a great penalty save.

Soro came on and put in a decent 10min shift to help us hold on when we needed to at the end. That was a big ask from the wee guy. He's been starved of fist team opportunities this season and should've had plenty minutes under his belt before chucking him onto the European stage against a quality team in that type of scenario.

Ajer going off was a monster blow last night and I've no doubt we'd have held on for the win had he remained fit. He was back to his best last night and we can only hope he's not out for long. :(

I know some on here thought that Ntcham had a good game but he didn't impress me that much. Christie was excellent though and buzzed around the park like mad all night. Great shift from him.

All in all it was probably a fair result. Lille had only conceded 3 goals this season until we took 2 off them in the first 45.

Finally, I've been one of Lennon's harshest critics on here but I was pleased for him that he got something from the game last night.

Still think he's not the guy for us though! :p

HH guys 🍀

After almost a year out, Shane Duffy has played 16 games since Sept 3,whit does that mean? feck knows,but since 12 of Sept he's played 12 games for us,and another 2 for Ireland in just 6 weeks,whit does that mean? feck knows, but it's a lot of games for a player at a new club,with an unsettled defence,Barkas/Bain, Julienne gone, now Ajer gone, back 3? back 4? whit does that mean? feck knows! 🍺 🥳
Hes clumsy as fuck,no good enough for the hoops in my opinion.

Celtic chased after David Turnbull for 2 seasons. Why has he not been given a chance?. Ntcham playing rubbish every week and he still gets a starting place. It’s shocking. Turnbull was playing really well with Motherwell. Now he’s sat in the stand for most of his Celtic career so far. A waste of a good player. Even Soro got on before him last night.

Second half....

Top two players were;
Laxalt...9/10
Mcgregor...8.9/10

Duffy...6/10
Ntcham... 5.5/10

Lennon.....6/10
Celtic 7.5/10

🙂
Jeez you watched that game three times in it's entirety!!..ffs I'll give you 10 out of 10 for that.

Surely if you're gonnae watch a Celtic game three times you could pick a better wan than that pish that we should have won from last night.

Jeez you watched that game three times in it's entirety!!..ffs I'll give you 10 out of 10 for that.

Surely if you're gonnae watch a Celtic game three times you could pick a better wan than that pish that we should have won from last night.

Eh? Just whit now?

Some people are never happy, and I'm usually one of them, but ffs Clay if you didn't feel at least some sort of positive after that display then wow!

FFS If Lennon had played his cards right we'd have won that game..that's another reason he's got to go!

Celtic chased after David Turnbull for 2 seasons. Why has he not been given a chance?. Ntcham playing rubbish every week and he still gets a starting place. It’s shocking. Turnbull was playing really well with Motherwell. Now he’s sat in the stand for most of his Celtic career so far. A waste of a good player. Even Soro got on before him last night.
Would like to think that Turnbull starts on Sunday ahead of Ntcham but doubt it

Members online

Latest posts

Back