Must Watch. Dispatches Channel 4 tonight 8pm.

Do you reckon you will have a better future in Scotland over the next few years? If not why stay there? Why don't you consider emigrating somewhere? It's an option taken by many Scots over the years and the vast majority have found it to be beneficial. There are lots of Scots living overseas. There are lots of countries to choose from. Do your research. Write down the pros and cons. Which country would welcome you? Or just stay in Scotland and blame the Tories, or Brexit or the evil American corporations or whatever else. You cannot affect the way the nation goes but you can as an individual decide which nation should be your home. Don't stay there just because you were born there. That's inertia. For the last thirty years in New Zealand no one has ever called me a Fenian bastard or asked me what school I went to. It's a possible option for some people. you could reach a decision before 31st Jan on your own personal Br-exit or not.
So it is just as easy as that ?do your research,make a choice ,see what suits you ,sorry are you serious?i have lived in Scotland since born 74 years next year , my family, born grown up here, my two sisters emigrated to SA about 45 years ago ,the climate they live in ,and I don’t mean the weather,is NOT conducive to my way I would want to live,they have admitted such thenselves ,but they made their beds so they have to lie in it now ,no, no thanks ,I stay put ,if things are not right am not about to throw in the towel ,I will fight for what is right !hh

Easier for some than others, doc. Not everyone has the requirements that 'new' countries demand these days. Youth, skills, qualifications etc.
I agree it's not an option for everyone and I've never said that. Emigration is however an idea worth considering by some. It's easy to bash out some frustration on a keyboard but action speaks louder than words. I'm not suggesting travelling to the other side of the world. It's a lot easier for Tictastic to get to Celtic Park.

In reply Doc, I have lived in England for over 40yrs and no one has called me a FB either
i've lived in 5 countrys and in each one i have been called a Bassa just missed the fenian bit out
Shams right most countrys now work visas are dependent on age work experience qualifications and that you have the finance to see you through , its easy to go to a new country it's harder for some folk to settle

one of the reasons a shit load of fracking licences went out straight after the indy vote ,the enviroment will be destroyed for profit

Good thing for Scotland though is that the Scottish Government played a blinder when it came to fracking in Scotland. Rather than placing an outright ban on fracking, which could've been challenged and defeated in the courts by a powerful fracking/gas industry with very deep pockets, they imposed a moratorium (a temporary suspension of an activity until future events warrant lifting the suspension or related issues have been resolved) instead which the industry can't get round with a legal challenge.

Which in essence means for as long as the SNP (who strongly oppose fracking) remain the government in Scotland the moratorium won't be lifted and zero fracking will take place in Scotland.

In the event that Labour came to power again in Scotland it would be highly unlikely that they'd lift the moratorium either (though they were calling on the SNP to ban it outright, which as I highlighted above would've seen this dragged through the courts, fighting an industry with very deep pockets at the taxpayer's expense, with the risk of the ban being defeated).

Probably the only way that fracking could ever happen in Scotland is if the Tories got into power here (hell will freeze over first) or if Labour change their current stance or do something stupid like try to ban it outright.

HH Kelly (y)

Do you reckon you will have a better future in Scotland over the next few years? If not why stay there? Why don't you consider emigrating somewhere? It's an option taken by many Scots over the years and the vast majority have found it to be beneficial. There are lots of Scots living overseas. There are lots of countries to choose from. Do your research. Write down the pros and cons. Which country would welcome you? Or just stay in Scotland and blame the Tories, or Brexit or the evil American corporations or whatever else. You cannot affect the way the nation goes but you can as an individual decide which nation should be your home. Don't stay there just because you were born there. That's inertia. For the last thirty years in New Zealand no one has ever called me a Fenian bastard or asked me what school I went to. It's a possible option for some people. you could reach a decision before 31st Jan on your own personal Br-exit or not.

With the operative words being 'it's a possible option for some people'! For the vast majority though it isn't an option at all due to family, finances, employment etc. You make it sound like it's just a case of having the will when it's far more complex and difficult than that. It also smacks of a 'well I'm alright jack' attitude where those with the means should just abandon the country and it's people to these vultures when that's exactly the attitudes we're rallying against!

Also I don't want to leave Scotland, why the hell should I, this is my home! You say we 'cannot affect the way the nation goes' well if we all thought like that we'd just resign ourselves to a grim future with no hope no matter where in the world we where! I don't believe we cant affect change and I'd rather stay here and fight for that than cut and run abandoning my family, my friends and my country in the process.

With the greatest respect Fisiani I think your suggestion is an overly simplistic answer to a complex issue.

So it is just as easy as that ?do your research,make a choice ,see what suits you ,sorry are you serious?i have lived in Scotland since born 74 years next year , my family, born grown up here, my two sisters emigrated to SA about 45 years ago ,the climate they live in ,and I don’t mean the weather,is NOT conducive to my way I would want to live,they have admitted such thenselves ,but they made their beds so they have to lie in it now ,no, no thanks ,I stay put ,if things are not right am not about to throw in the towel ,I will fight for what is right !hh

Well said Ray! 100% spot on (y)

Well said Ray! 100% spot on (y)
With the operative words being 'it's a possible option for some people'! For the vast majority though it isn't an option at all due to family, finances, employment etc. You make it sound like it's just a case of having the will when it's far more complex and difficult than that. It also smacks of a 'well I'm alright jack' attitude where those with the means should just abandon the country and it's people to these vultures when that's exactly the attitudes we're rallying against!

Also I don't want to leave Scotland, why the hell should I, this is my home! You say we 'cannot affect the way the nation goes' well if we all thought like that we'd just resign ourselves to a grim future with no hope no matter where in the world we where! I don't believe we cant affect change and I'd rather stay here and fight for that than cut and run abandoning my family, my friends and my country in the process.

With the greatest respect Fisiani I think your suggestion is an overly simplistic answer to a complex issue.
As someone who was fortunate enough to have been given the opportunity to strike out, for pastures new, as a teenager, I agree with you Andy & Ray

Almost did the tenner emigration to Australia in the early 70's,then thought phuq it, joined the SNP,fight westminster and make my wee bitter sectarian country ah better place HA!
Well done Michael. You made a tough decision. So nearly 50 years later were you right or wrong? Has Scotland become less bitter and sectarian?

Well done Michael. You made a tough decision. So nearly 50 years later were you right or wrong? Has Scotland become less bitter and sectarian?
I don’t want to leave just because somefud calls me names Fisiani. Love the wee place I come from alo had the chance to go to Australia to work as a miner as we shut the pits here would probably had a better standard of living with a shite standard of health. But no regrets love Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿.
would love to see us go independent because even if we fuck up it’s our decision not the Etonian bastards and the right wing elites decisions to line their pockets while food banks become the norm.
quite like being called a Fenian bassa by illiterate fucks means I am doing something right. Mon the Hoops

HH 👏🍀

Because Sham,the clowns who voted for brexit ,are feckin idiots ,typical little ‘englanders’,who are only thinking about their selfish selves ,they have this belief that they still own half the world !hh
I have English children and grandchildren. I think you could word things better pal👎

As someone who was fortunate enough to have been given the opportunity to strike out, for pastures new, as a teenager, I agree with you Andy & Ray

I have nothing but the utmost admiration for those who strive to create a better life for themselves and their families in a foreign land DILLIGAF, to take such a daunting leap into the unknown by leaving all they know behind is no small thing so good on you for making that leap mate. (y)

I started this thread because I wanted to draw attention to a massively important news story that could have a devastating impact on the lives of ALL of us on here who live in Scotland and the rest of the UK, got nothing whatsoever against Fisiani I just thought his comment was a bit flippant and dismissive of what is potentially a life changing issue for everyone living here.

HH mate.

Question
Did you get up and New Zealand of your own volition ?

I have nothing but the utmost admiration for those who strive to create a better life for themselves and their families in a foreign land DILLIGAF, to take such a daunting leap into the unknown by leaving all they know behind is no small thing so good on you for making that leap mate. (y)

I started this thread because I wanted to draw attention to a massively important news story that could have a devastating impact on the lives of ALL of us on here who live in Scotland and the rest of the UK, got nothing whatsoever against Fisiani I just thought his comment was a bit flippant and dismissive of what is potentially a life changing issue for everyone living here.

HH mate.
(y)

Members online

Latest posts

Back