Off-topic: Ask a Basque

Uztai

Since in another thread there's been an argument about the fact that it's apparently hard to believe there would be a foreign supporter with good command of English, I reckoned we could do something useful and (maybe) interesting with it.

So I came up with this thread.

I'm a Basque supporter of Celtic and in this thread I'm offering to answer questions regarding my tiny corner of the world, the Basque Country, which, as some of you might know, is a region nation in Southwestern Europe that is under Spanish and French rule.

Euskal_Herria_Europa.png

If there is something you want to know about it, be it history, language, culture, football, politics... ask and I'll do my best to answer your questions thoroughly.

Otherwise let this post sink :LOL:

So how come your Country ended up being ruled by Spain and France? What happened there?

Long story short, in medieval times there were a bunch of small and medium sized kingdoms in what now is the Iberian peninsula, one of which was the Kingdom of Navarre, which included most (but not all) of the Basque-speaking areas.

Navarre was progressively conquered by the neighbouring, bigger Kingdom of Castile, roughly from the 12th to the early 16th century, after which Castile merged with the Kingdom of Aragon to form Spain. The part of Navarre that wasn't conquered by Castile survived as a kingdom only in name, but was merged with the French crown (so that the King of France was formally known as the King of France and Navarre) until the 19th century.

In the end, the four Basque territories under Spanish rule (Upper Navarre proper and three smaller ones that were conquered from her earlier in the process) ended up being four provinces of Spain, of which Navarre forms an autonomous region by itself and the other three together form another one; and the three Basque territories that ended up under French sovereignity (Lower Navarre and two other small provinces) were French provinces until the French Revolution dissolved the old territorial distribution, so legally speaking they don't even exist anymore, and are part of one bigger French department.

[This is the "short" answer, so skip the next paragraphs if you're satisfied already.]

So ours is a nation divided in seven territories, four under Spanish sovereignity as two autonomous regions, and three under French sovereignity with no official recognition, other than a very recent so called "municipal community" which includes the three of them and is just a very weak form of administrative recognition.

To further complicate things, the name "Basque Country" has been progressively been applied only to the three westernmost provinces (which are officially named "the Basque Country") and the Basqueness of Navarre is systematically denied by Spanish nationalists. Just imagine British people saying that Northern Ireland was never called Northern Ireland and is not Ireland indeed, you can only call it Ulster.

If you want, try and search for "Basque Country" in Wikipedia. It will send you to a disambiguation page. Not long ago, it sent you to the page for the Basque Country proper and it told you if you were searching for the Spanish autonomous region, go to Basque Country (autonomous region)". But now even the very definition of Basqueness is challenged.

So, not only are we not an independent country, we don't even have the right to have our name used properly anymore :sneaky:

Thanks Uztai. It all sounds v complicated. How did you end up a Celtic supporter?

The short version is I already sympathised with the club for the politics around the Old Firm and I started reading about it, watching OF matches and the like, with the goal of improving my English while I was at it, and I progressively fell in love with Celtic. I think our history, heritage and dual identity is second to none. We've got something special going on. I don't need to explain to you how special it is, you know :)

Since in another thread there's been an argument about the fact that it's apparently hard to believe there would be a foreign supporter with good command of English, I reckoned we could do something useful and (maybe) interesting with it.

I'm a Basque supporter of Celtic and in this thread I'm offering to answer questions regarding my tiny corner of the world, the Basque Country, which, as some of you might know, is a region nation in Southwestern Europe that is under Spanish and French rule.

View attachment 775

If there is something you want to know about it, be it history, language, culture, football, politics... ask and I'll do my best to answer your questions thoroughly.

Wghat was your postcode growing up.

Given the attitude of Spain to Catalonia - what are your chances of a bloodless independence ?

Given the attitude of Spain to Catalonia - what are your chances of a bloodless independence ?

A very complex question for which I don't have a clear answer, and I'm also not sure if you're asking about us, them, or both.

I think the window of opportunity for a short-term independence of Catalonia has closed now. The Basque issue is way different for many reasons, one of which is the lack of territorial unity.

Catalonia is a clearly defined entity, whereas we are administratively divided as I mentioned above. It's true that there are other territories which are Catalan-speaking and that the concept of Catalan Countries exists, but Catalans widely accept they should seek independence on their own terms and speed, and then if the rest of Catalan-speaking territories eventually want to follow them in some kind of federation system so be it. Whereas Basque nationalism is more of an all-or-nothing movement: mainstream Basque nationalism would accept for the whole Southern Basque Country to secede from Spain altogether with or without the Northern (French) side joining it, but not secession of only the Western Basque Country without Navarre. It would be akin to the Irish having accepted a Free State comprised only of the 12 Leinster counties, so to speak. Or the opposite, a Free State without Dublin. Not happening.

So, Basque land being administratively divided adds difficulty to the issue, paired with the fact that support for independence is high in some areas, middling in some and testimonial in the southernmost ones.

Apart from that, Catalonia has had their own pro-independence process and they have increased the support for independence to 40-something percent of elligible voters, which is a pretty good number to have a shot at democratic secession. We are still stuck around... 30-something percent? Which means we would probably lose a referendum was it celebrated today. Not taking into account that Spain would never allow one and appears ready to use lethal force if necessary to prevent it from happening.

Finally, bloodless independence may look unlikely at the moment, but even more so does bloody independence. Armed struggle in the Basque Country ended a few years ago after almost half a century of it and there is simply absolutely no thirst for more, so no armed uprising on the horizon.

View attachment 775

Do you guys makes good wine?? Is Navarra part of the Basque country??

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back