Prudence,aye that'll be right!

If it takes £20k a week to buy potential then that's what we have to pay,what's the consequences if we don't get the players we want because we won't pay the wages? i know every business has a wage structure but to be successful you have to take risks.

Celtic can afford £20k a week if they think a player is worth it no problem, my point is they won't pay it because they don't have the ambition that the supporters have.

Last season we got the treble treble,but the league was just a wee bit closer than it should have been, this coming season if we don't recruit properly and get the right players in it might be even closer.

Fuck money in the bank, get it spent and win ten in a row and without risking our future, reasonable success in Europe provides a massive income on its own, so why not speculate to accumulate?
nothing wrong with any of that as you specified
and without risking our future

Put it this way, sevco have no money that is not owed.
King is a fraud but a fraud who has made money, a living being a fraud in the past. (according to reports of a South African judge in court)

So with no money but desperate to stop Celtic, what has he done?
We can dismiss them all we want, but it would be nice to see the tribute act buried.

If so, then yes we do need to act and be ahead of them and never assume like moonbeam murrays fanboys did that all is just swell.
King is unfortunately not the complete idiot some want to imagine, he has made at least 2 shrewd moves, the hiring of slippy G if only and credibly only for the link with Liverpool, it has given them some decent loan players and more so the signing of the ex Man City money man to be DOF.
So far they have failed, none signed will prove a actual asset.

But the rumours of Aribo for instance on a big wage, now that is a calculated low risk we should be taking. Highlights are not everything but look at them for this player! and then read what Charlton fans have to say and the credible moves by big clubs for him.
This is a Dembele compensation not commper type move, so adds up, no such thing as a no brainer, that's just extreme cliché rhetoric talk as is us going bust just because moonbeams did!

Then by that analysis you must be advocating that the majority of our first-team just jog on to pastures new, as they can be paid more by other clubs.

That's the type of attitude that will kill the game stone dead. Not one boy or girl who ever kicked a ball, done it with the intent of ever making money.

Those ex-players never played in an environment where the wage divide was as vast as it is now, so that argument is a false proposition in the first instance. Every ex-pro had to find a career after the game. The modern player, if they are prudent (that's a singular variant on that word prudence) can live comfortably beyond the duration of their playing career. Modern players also pay super-annuation and footballing pension plans are unmatched in any other sector.

You support a team of fools by your own description, Timbo.
If you read my post sp you'll see i said Young player, when they're starting out in football or any sport for that matter financial security is priority.

After they're established and got security they can then choose what they'll do with their future, and fyi no i don't support a team of fools..i support a team that are mostly happy with what they're getting with ntcham being the exception.HH

annual turnover-£101million
operational costs-£89million
we were 8 minutes from death,when the bunnet stepped in,
left a structure, a legacy which has led to unprecedented success,we learnt our lesson from those days,like them or loathe them, our board, peter Lawwell in particular have done a great job,yes some bad decisions have been,but no'ones perfect,the successes receive faint praise,while the mistakes are greeted with a tidal wave of criticism,we learnt our lesson
sevco did'nt and died,they will die again.

If you read my post sp you'll see i said Young player, when they're starting out in football or any sport for that matter financial security is priority.

After they're established and got security they can then choose what they'll do with their future, and fyi no i don't support a team of fools..i support a team that are mostly happy with what they're getting with ntcham being the exception.HH
No, you started your point with young players, but quickly shifted that to potless ex-players.

You shifted the focus to justify the claim, no-one else!

Footballers aren't a special breed. Everybody has to face the prospect of poverty, hardship and income deprivation.

There is an impending financial tsunami coming within the next 18-months because Trump's flawed business acumen believes that trade wars and tariffs are a force for good.

Corporate taxes in the States are less than zero and that creates a completely false economy which will collapse on a single credit run.

Billionaires will have huge swathes of their capital wiped out and they are faced with the same issues as each and every one of us......including footballers.

We can worship them while they play and even beyond that, but they have a responsibility to also manage their own affairs after they've finished their playing careers.

How many years would you have to work to amass what Scott Sinclair will earn this season?

annual turnover-£101million
operational costs-£89million
we were 8 minutes from death,when the bunnet stepped in,
left a structure, a legacy which has led to unprecedented success,we learnt our lesson from those days,like them or loathe them, our board, peter Lawwell in particular have done a great job,yes some bad decisions have been,but no'ones perfect,the successes receive faint praise,while the mistakes are greeted with a tidal wave of criticism,we learnt our lesson
sevco did'nt and died,they will die again.

You think sense will sink in here?

Really?

C’mon Michael, you know the score ???

No, you started your point with young players, but quickly shifted that to potless ex-players.

You shifted the focus to justify the claim, no-one else!

Footballers aren't a special breed. Everybody has to face the prospect of poverty, hardship and income deprivation.

There is an impending financial tsunami coming within the next 18-months because Trump's flawed business acumen believes that trade wars and tariffs are a force for good.

Corporate taxes in the States are less than zero and that creates a completely false economy which will collapse on a single credit run.

Billionaires will have huge swathes of their capital wiped out and they are faced with the same issues as each and every one of us......including footballers.

We can worship them while they play and even beyond that, but they have a responsibility to also manage their own affairs after they've finished their playing careers.

How many years would you have to work to amass what Scott Sinclair will earn this season?

Changes the narrative to suit his angle pal.

You should ignore trolls. ?

Tet, it's not particularly the Turnbull situation I'm on about its the mindset of our board, they just don't see the views from the supporters, does the average punter really care if Turnbull was getting 10k or 20k per week? wether or not he was good enough for the first team or even if he was the next Messi was irrelevant, your average supporter just wanted him signed but big Peter wasn't paying above what he thinks was a "magnificent offer"

Was that the same magnificent offer he offered to John mcginn? You keep saying stay within budget or words to that effect and i get that, but paying over the odds for something is done in business every day sometimes it's what you have to do.

If that mindset continues then the standard of footballer we've got just now is as good as it's going to be for the foreseeable future, but that might still be good enough to get to ten in a row, but i don't think we'll see us in the champions league last 16 again until Lawwell goes (just my opinion)
if the average fan doesn't wake up to the subsidisation of certain leagues and the ramifications of that subsidisation then the club will die.

The board are there to safeguard the club

they must find value

if they cant find value then we cant compete

West Ham as example

180M turnover

over 100million guaranteed from their FA and Sky if the remain in mediocre levels in EPL

most of their players get 50K per week before bonuses

some get 100K per week before bonuses

A club that I think is much smaller than celtic, has a less rich history and until sky started pumping crazy money into their set up couldn't compete with Celtic now can afford players we cant.

Yet you want champions league quality players at club (don't we all) but the going rate for these player who play regular champions league is 120K per week before bonuses.

that would put celtic wage bill and costs to the levels of strong EPL team

but it would put our costs per season over 200M

And it would NOT even guarantee us getting out of Champions league group stage.

So say we try compete thats 100m+ deficit in 1 season just through wages before you even consider the capital outlay to acquire these players which sometimes exceeds 30+m per player

So you would need 150 million roughly capital investment plus a recurring income north of 200M per season just to have decent chance of regularly getting past CL group

Its not going to happen while we play in SPFL

Celtic can afford 60/70 million per season after qualification to group stage maximum

That requires finding added value every season

But Celtic and lawell so good at it, that the selling club get greedy every time and announce Celtic want him

Which means mediocre teams in England go they add massive value with players they find but cant afford the wages we can pay, they don't get massive free cash from sky, so lets take that dude before he signs for them.

100M every season head start thanks mainly to sky

over 10 years thats 1 billion pounds head start

And growing every year.

Sky is crippling world football by disproportionately paying certain small clubs in their set up

not just celtic

What bout poor rosenburg
what bout Malmo
What bout Legia warsaw
What bout all the famous teams that used to have chance to do well

its gone thanks to sky and eufa

its no competition anymore

its a money scam

Last edited:
if the average fan doesn't wake up to the subsidisation of certain leagues and the ramifications of that subsidisation then the club will die.

The board are there to safeguard the club

they must find value

if they cant find value then we cant compete

West Ham as example

180M turnover

over 100million guaranteed from their FA and Sky if the remain in mediocre levels in EPL

most of their players get 50K per week before bonuses

some get 100K per week before bonuses

A club that I think is much smaller than celtic, has a less rich history and until sky started pumping crazy money into their set up couldn't compete with Celtic now can afford players we cant.

Yet you want champions league quality players at club (don't we all) but the going rate for these player who play regular champions league is 120K per week before bonuses.

that would put celtic wage bill and costs to the levels of strong EPL team

but it would put our costs per season over 200M

And it would NOT even guarantee us getting out of Champions league group stage.

So say we try compete thats 100m+ deficit in 1 season just through wages before you even consider the capital outlay to acquire these players which sometimes exceeds 30+m per player

So you would need 150 million roughly capital investment plus a recurring income north of 200M per season just to have decent chance of regularly getting past CL group

Its not going to happen while we play in SPFL

Celtic can afford 60/70 million per season after qualification to group stage maximum

That requires finding added value every season

But Celtic and lawell so good at it, that the selling club get greedy every time and announce Celtic want him

Which means mediocre teams in England go they add massive value with players they find but cant afford the wages we can pay, they don't get massive free cash from sky, so lets take that dude before he signs for them.

100M every season head start thanks mainly to sky

over 10 years thats 1 billion pounds head start

And growing every year.

Sky is crippling world football by disproportionately paying certain small clubs in their set up

not just celtic

What bout poor rosenburg
what bout Malmo
What bout Legia warsaw
What bout all the famous teams that used to have chance to do well

its gone thanks to sky and eufa

its no competition anymore

its a money scam

Again they don’t deal in the reality of sensible economics.

If they did they wouldn’t have stood idly by whilst their club went poof and LIQUIDATED.

Aw shucks, still too soon ?

If you are arguing that Celtic should pay for potential then few would disagree .... but you cannot say that Turnbull was someone that we should push the boat out for .

KT , Dembele ( Moussa ) , Ayer etc .. all had potential but we didn't push the boat out for them ; we didn't destroy our wage structure for their potential because we do not live in a vacuum.

If you offered Turnbull what his agent asked for then EVERY time you sign a youngster with 'potential' you have to up the ante , because the level of wage paid to the last youngster with 'potential' will not suffice for the next one . Wages soon spiral out of control under that strategy .
AND what you are paying your youngster with 'potential' will not be ignored by the team players who are not getting that level of remuneration . They see a youngster with half a season of experience getting paid more than they get , with maybe ten years experience ( +International caps etc ..) and medals in their pockets to prove their worth .
Recipe for financial disaster and great discontent among the players .

I am no supporter of Peter Lawwell ( still think he is overpaid - sorry TET ! ) but I am with him 100% on this one .

HH

If you are arguing that Celtic should pay for potential then few would disagree .... but you cannot say that Turnbull was someone that we should push the boat out for .

KT , Dembele ( Moussa ) , Ayer etc .. all had potential but we didn't push the boat out for them ; we didn't destroy our wage structure for their potential because we do not live in a vacuum.

If you offered Turnbull what his agent asked for then EVERY time you sign a youngster with 'potential' you have to up the ante , because the level of wage paid to the last youngster with 'potential' will not suffice for the next one . Wages soon spiral out of control under that strategy .
AND what you are paying your youngster with 'potential' will not be ignored by the team players who are not getting that level of remuneration . They see a youngster with half a season of experience getting paid more than they get , with maybe ten years experience ( +International caps etc ..) and medals in their pockets to prove their worth .
Recipe for financial disaster and great discontent among the players .

I am no supporter of Peter Lawwell ( still think he is overpaid - sorry TET ! ) but I am with him 100% on this one .

HH
too much common sense there Millsy!!!!!

So big Peter offered Turnbull a "magnifecent wage"that turned out to be around half of what Norwich could give him and we've done the right thing, aye that'll be right, ffs are you all serious about that?

Celtic had better realise soon that we have to pay the going rate even if it's just for potential, if that means £20k a week then that's what we have to do.

For me the boy and his agent made the right decision for his future by going where the money is, if he does do his cruciate in (that some of you have hoped for) then he could be crippled before his career has even started.

As for the people on here who say they would rather play for Celtic for £10k per week rather than £20k elsewhere have to get in the real world, footballers have a short shelf life and any agent worth their salt have always got to look after their clients future, especially when they're young and hardly made a sausage from the game.

i wonder if at the end of the coming season if we've been knocked out of Europe before Christmas and ended up second in the league you'll all still be saying "oh aye but we'll still have a team to support in ten years"

What's the point of having money in the bank and being prudent if we don't win the league and achieve ten in a row, this time next month never mind this time next year you'll all be shouting for big Pete's head in a box for not spending money..just wait and see.
Hi Timbo I also said about his knees it’s called humour. Sick maybe but humour nonetheless
But the whole of your post says let’s bankrupt
Celtic but for what one player who’s 19 and if you think this team even without any significant signings would finish second in this league sorry bud but not gonna happen you pay the going rate for players who have got better credentials than Turnbull’s.
We have Treble Treble winners in this team who don’t get what he’s after and they’re proven winners. So we move on get other players who want to come to the best team in the world.

HH ?

If it takes £20k a week to buy potential then that's what we have to pay,what's the consequences if we don't get the players we want because we won't pay the wages? i know every business has a wage structure but to be successful you have to take risks.

Celtic can afford £20k a week if they think a player is worth it no problem, my point is they won't pay it because they don't have the ambition that the supporters have.

Last season we got the treble treble,but the league was just a wee bit closer than it should have been, this coming season if we don't recruit properly and get the right players in it might be even closer.

Fuck money in the bank, get it spent and win ten in a row and without risking our future, reasonable success in Europe provides a massive income on its own, so why not speculate to accumulate?

He's not worth £20,000 a week and that's why we're not paying it ffs. He isn't fkn Messi.

What teddy bear specs are you on about? I gave an opinion and if you don't agree it makes me a hun, you get a grip! was it not you that wished for his cruciate to get done? a nineteen year old footballer decided to make a living in Norwich at twice the money he would get at parkhead and you want him crippled.are you serious? and you're calling me an eejit.

I don't know what job you do but if another company offered to double your wages to come and work for them with a five year contract you'd be off like a shot, as would anybody else so what's the difference with a footballer?
2 x1000 = 20000 use your fingers and toes son

???

No. They don't pay 20 grand a week to players like Ajer, Christie et al. Players much better than Turnbull. If Celtic are going to pay 20 grand or more a week to someone, it'll be someone who deserves it. David Turnbull was offered £12 grand a week FOR HIS FIRST CONTRACT as a 19-YEAR-OLD. If he played well, he could've got a pay rise. But he wants instant riches; hence why the only alternative is the lower levels of the English PL. Sevco might want to pay 20 grand a week to a player who has only ever played in the THIRD TIER of English fitba, but even some of the more sensible Sevconians are saying that to do so is a huge risk given their financial situation and the ramifications it'll have on a) the players they already have who are similar age or older who are on less than 20 grand a week, and b) future transfer targets, whose agents will almost definitely ask for the same kind of money Aribo is getting offered.

I'm sick of the likes of Phil Mac Giolla Bhain, John James and James 'The Blogger' Forrest predicting the imminent demise of Sevco, but what they're doing with Aribo is madness.

We are a club that is fiscally secure. That isn't an accident. It's because we have a fiscal model that allows to survive and expand when necessary. If a huge signing comes along and we have to pay big wages for him, we won't have spunked significant money on some 19-year-old half-wit from Motherwell. A talented half-wit, don't get me wrong. But not talented enough to warrant 20 grand a week. That's not ambition, it's stupidity and gross financial mismanagement.

Members online

Latest posts

Back