Remembering Gil Heron

Quick reminder, thanks to the New York CSC, that Gil Heron, also known as "The Black Arrow" and the first black Celtic player (and also Gil Scott-Heron's dad), passed away on this day in 2008 at the age of 86. YNWA, Arrow!

View attachment 5361
If you check out his wiki page it states that he wrote a poem called "the great ones" about the top Scottish football players that he played with. I would love to read that but can't find it. I spoke with my father about him through my love for Gil scott heron but he only remembered him playing for third lanark. He said that he was the second black man he saw in the flesh. The first he shared a bottle of rum with on the top floor of a Glasgow tram on VE day 😂

Last edited:
If you check out his wiki page it states that he wrote a poem called "the great ones" about the top Scottish football players that he played with. I would love to read that but can't find it. I spoke with my father about him through my love for Giles scott heron but he only remembered him playing for third lanark. He said that he was the second black man he saw in the flesh. The first he shared a bottle of rum with on the top floor of a Glasgow tram on VE day 😂
Morning Lemon, Google Gil Scott Heron the great ones, then click on images and its almost at the top of the page mate, sorry I can't put it up for you mate.

Back