Rod Stewart

this is an embarrassing piece, the club is open to all, doesn’t mater if your black, white, gay, no gender, rich or poor etc etc.

Rod Stewart has his views and is entitled to have them as we all are.

Let’s move on and just let him support the Celts like we all do.
I totally agree. What's gets me is this attitude that says we all have to think, vote etc, the same way. I may not agree with RS but it's his business.

Indeed, a club open to all. There will be thousands of fans who hold different political opinions to me but I don't think it matters. Rod was reared in England and will have that inane sense of forelock tugging to royalty. It's not his fault if he believes that wee Betty is better than him. 😐

Much as I find many of RS's views distasteful and his treatment of working people despicable (remember reading many accounts of him shafting people who did work on his properties) he is still entitled to support Celtic and attend matches. Indeed if the queen of England fell in love with Kyogo (who could blame her) and bought a season ticket she too would be entitled to attend and support. However, both Rod and Lizzie would take a bit of stick from sections of the support who are also entitled to their views and the expression of such, in a non-hateful manner. That being said Lizzie would need to pay her tenner and get on the waiting list like the rest of us.

Gotta be honest, found this a bit distasteful.
Are we to assume that every single Celtic supporter is anti Royalty? Or Irish catholic by birth therefor hate everything British?
I have a scottish mum and an irish dad, brought up in scotland and as agnostic as they come.
I can take or leave the royal family, have no particular feelings on them, voted for brexit for my own reasons, voted for the union for my own reasons.
Ive supported Celtic since I was old enough to go to games, over 50 yrs, and will do so till I die.
RS might be a bit of a muppet but he’s a supporter like the millions all over the world, who all have differing opinions.
I’m uncomfortable with the above as it infers that if you don’t agree your not a supporter.🙁

Sorry 26, but at a total loss here about what you are implying about who is allowed to support our football club?
Not much of a fan of the music he has done, yet millions of people are of a total different opinion to myself, yet can respect the fact of the enjoyment he has bought to them many millions within there lives.
If that means he gets acknowledged for his achievements within the music industry from that old bint, then so what.
He also has a duty to his huge fanbase to acknowledge and accept such an acclaim also.
Our support has never and should ever be about setting an agenda that I fear you might be trying to imply here?
What next? Anyone in Ireland who don't believe that a united Ireland isn't of the best interests for the Republic ain't allowed to support celtic from now on?
Or even worse still, should we all start to turn upon Joe Hart for singing his national anthem with representing his country for so long?
Trying to open up a whole can of worms imo, that's best kept closed as it has no reflection upon what our club stands for, and one it should never be looked upon either imo.

If you believe all men are created equal, how can anyone pay homage to an institution that is wholly self entitled and deemed superior to all others by their birthright, an institution that is the cornerstone on which the class system is based.

I fail to see, if you believe in equality, how anyone can in good conscience support the monarchy and their ilk, and those of the so called upper class, who deem themselves to be superior and better than everyone else...

Cancel culture like this is a cancer on freedom of speech. You are welcome to Celtic Park no matter what your opinions are. The only entry criteria is love for Celtic. How dare anyone object to Rod's beliefs. He is not our enemy. He is a Celtic Supporter and welcome. Celtic is no home for a narrow niche of purist beliefs. When we score a goal against Rangers in particular I used to leap up and being so ecstatic sometimes hug the random stranger next to me. Joy at watching Celtic should be open to all. Last week when each goal went in the entire stadium of 60,000 were joyful. Everyone is welcome.

If you believe all men are created equal, how can anyone pay homage to an institution that is wholly self entitled and deemed superior to all others by their birthright, an institution that is the cornerstone on which the class system is based.

I fail to see, if you believe in equality, how anyone can in good conscience support the monarchy and their ilk, and those of the so called upper class, who deem themselves to be superior and better than everyone else...
This world has never had a equality code within it imatim and never will either.
This is not a God's world as it is such a man made world.
Enough wealth within the world to have no starvation and people without a roof over there heads still.
Not just a British issue as even here within Ireland the same problems exist, even if on a lower scale to within other countries within the world.
Celtic gives us the fantastic opportunity to appreciate the good that the world dose and can offer, and should be promoted in a far better manner than it dose imo.

Equality of opportunity is a worthy goal.
Equality of outcome however is appalling and impossible

Some confuse the two versions of 'equality'

Everyone should have equality of opportunity to support Celtic. You are bloody lucky to be able to visit Celtic Park. I live 12,000 miles away on the other side of the planet and do not care who dons the hoops or how they vote.or think at other times. They do not realise how lucky they are to be present. A 3pm kickoff in Scotland is either 2 or 4 am here. Our focus at this moment should be on winning the next game. This is an unwelcome distraction from the truly important matters.

I'm a Rod Stewart fan, seen him over 40 times in concert around the world. But he's entitled too his opinions on politics, the royals etc. I don't agree with his political views or his opinion on the royals. But folk cracking up over a few tweets because they don't agree with the content, ffs

Just for the record I detest the Tories & everything they stand for. As for the royals I detest them with the same passion as I do the Tories. Nowt but parasitic SCUM.

Sorry 26, but at a total loss here about what you are implying about who is allowed to support our football club?
Not much of a fan of the music he has done, yet millions of people are of a total different opinion to myself, yet can respect the fact of the enjoyment he has bought to them many millions within there lives.
If that means he gets acknowledged for his achievements within the music industry from that old bint, then so what.
He also has a duty to his huge fanbase to acknowledge and accept such an acclaim also.
Our support has never and should ever be about setting an agenda that I fear you might be trying to imply here?
What next? Anyone in Ireland who don't believe that a united Ireland isn't of the best interests for the Republic ain't allowed to support celtic from now on?
Or even worse still, should we all start to turn upon Joe Hart for singing his national anthem with representing his country for so long?
Trying to open up a whole can of worms imo, that's best kept closed as it has no reflection upon what our club stands for, and one it should never be looked upon either imo.
Where did I imply anything? I posted a link to an article, without comment, as a conversation starter. I then clarified my opinion in a follow-up post.

To true Tony, and his version of "Grace" remains one, if not the worse version of an Irish classic, I've ever heard
Rod is well-known to be motivated by money so I suspect his version of Grace was done with self-publicity and further-enrichment in mind. However, his appearances on British TV where he explained the origin of the song drew attention to 1916 and Britain's war crimes so 6 a wan an half dozen a thother.

Back