scotland v england

Dont think England got out of second gear.

game was pretty average

Dont know many of the English players or who the play for these days

But the big dunk defender looks solid and classy on that one performance as did their right back Kyle walker.

Both were cool and collected could tackle mark and very physically strong and some of Walker passes were top notch.

Foden was excellent too, bellingham didnt look like he was trying yet still managed to look classy

Was dissapointed with our defending considering we had 5

And mcgregor and gilmour didnt really get much chance as England just easily took ball back off our players most times.

Despite not really looking like they were out of second gear their second gear was much better than ours.

Had hoped for more after recent results.

But i suspected we would probably struggle to win tonight. :(

I might be on my own here but "here we go again".
I honestly thought beforehand we were slightly overhyped and England under-hyped.
Consider that we are playing imho above ourselves of late, against ' say what you will' but to me against , in England one of the top European nations.
Two dreadful defensive errors cost 2 goals , something we'd cut out recently, and was really unlike us under Clarke but we plugged away and came out for the second 45 with a renewed vigour to our game and really took it to them ,the McGuire o.g was deserved if only for our link up and possession play and dogged determination and quality.

From 2-0 down to 2-1 going into the last 10 minutes looking positively for the equaliser we were in with every chance of stealing a draw last night.
Said it many times , we all have,
This Scotland side is almost compete but we're missing a top quality forward line.

Adams/soton, Dykes/QPR, Shankland/hearts and Nisbet of Millwall.
That's our choice of strikers.
Contrast our front line to the rest of the nations groups A, whom we'll compete against soon and youll find we're miles off that level of quality up front, our midfield is a great one and defence is also very top quality , recent results have shown this theyve not been fluked results either but hard fought fully deserved wins.
These friendlies against England and France will be good experience for us and what's to come, the Euros ( God willing we'll get the points ) either v Georgia or Spain will ko Norway before we play them, or we take care of them ourselves.
Norway require 9pts from 9pts meaning they MUST defeat Cyprus (a) , Spain (h) and Scotland (a) a draw against Spain not enough should we get 1pt in Georgia something we're capable of.
Of course this is Scotland so no surprise should we win our last 3 games either and top the group ( awrite ! Big surprise to beat Spain there , but was big surprise to beat them here) , can't write us off we're so close now .

I think many perhaps thought our form would play a telling factor v England and it did , it was the 80th minute or so before England put the game to bed as we chased it the game opened up and kane did what he does better than anyone else , scored a great goal, the only one of the game.

Our strikers listed above compared against Kane ( Munich) Bellingham ( madrid), Saka ( arsenal) who didn't start. Foden&Grealish ( man city) Rashford ( man utd) and thats only the ones Southgatecould name..
When England get it right there's few sides who can live with them, right now id say only France and Portugal have looked on England's level in the European qualifiers football , along with ourselves.

Norway beat Cyprus 2-1 in Oslo, 4-2 shots on target yes Haaland played and scored.
I think we can beat Georgia and Norway though may not need to.
I suppose I'm saying that the SMSM as usual is getting everyone ahead of themselves .
Disappointing majorly, to lose that game but I saw enough to take from it that right now we are one of Europe's darkhorse better sides, 10th in UEFAs ranking appears to be deserved. For whatever that's worth.
Outside the top 8 European nations of

France
Croatia
England
Spain
Italy
Portugal
Holland
Belgium
(Jmo not going by the rankings)

Having now watched the elite European nations I think I've seen now we deserve to be top of those 2nd tier nations or thereabouts.
Scotland have shown, in this and previous seasons we're a nation on the up, Czechia, Switzerland, Denmark, Serbia, Hungary, Austria, Sweden, Poland, Turkey, Ukraine or Norway have all found that we are more than a match and more for any of them.
If we can get young forwards and strikers into this top level playing staff side we could do some damage, Ben Doak.....has he pledged to Scotland I believe and is only 19 in November I think.
These are the guys who could make us whole Shankland is our only top flight striker and I thought he mightve got a game given his form though Clarke like many managers have players they believe they can rely upon , their favourites if you like.

I'm disappointed but not overly disheartened as there's far bigger fish to fry regarding the Euros qualification and our first appearance as an elite nation in the nations league, a tournament growing in stature, that will help our coefficent as well.
This could be seen as a risky approach but we must prepare for the best Europe has to offer.
Mctominays goalscoring record in this is incredible for a CB playing up front.

Long story sh...not so long, aye we lost a non competition game not 3pts (note I didn't say non competitive as there are no Sco v Eng friendlies but we've lost nothing other than momentum and just about every team England face will lose more than momentum but points.
I'm still entranced, excited , astonished , dumbfounded by what Clarke achieved In such a short time, and we gave as good as we got that 2nd 45.

If we can add quality to that front line, which has been incredible all things considered what they've achieved who knows how far this Scotland side could go but this is the time as Robertson and a few others won't be at the top for much longer, luckily for us KT could move forward with Taylor deputising for KT should anything ( touch wood) happen to Robertson.
We kept at it 2nd ½ and caused them problems with our passing game just a shame it wasn't direct enough but that's back to our limitations on our front line.

Keeping our eyes on the big picture and prize > 2nd Euros qualification on the bounce is the main thing and I'm sure as disappointed as the rest of us are the players will know they competed last night.

That's my take on it anyway , no top flight strikers but that can change quickly in this game, and this particular one showed we are lacking a Griffiths, an Archibald, type spearhead to our attacks , speaks volumes Mctominey is our top scorer.

The futures bright it's green and white so don't be surprised if we are the club who provides such a forward.

So there's my wee point on it.
I've got other straight to the point thoughts as well 😛😴

SLANGE 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Last edited:
Aye yon game was pish, too many just going through the motions.
Engurland were up for it,Bellingham & Foden given the freedom to roam & nae cvnt in Blue marking them either.

I hear Seville is lovely in the Autumn, heading out to Barcelona for a week after Killie game on the Saturday 7th Oct.
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿ALBA GU BRÀTH🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Aye yon game was pish, too many just going through the motions.
Engurland were up for it,Bellingham & Foden given the freedom to roam & nae cvnt in Blue marking them either.

I hear Seville is lovely in the Autumn, heading out to Barcelona for a week after Killie game on the Saturday 7th Oct.
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿ALBA GU BRÀTH🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Beaten by the more clinical side TT had opportunities , never converted them into chances. Up against some of Europe's best forwards currently but 2nd half was better.
When the likes of Kane, Bellingham, Saka, Foden, Rashford and the huge array of quality forwards not called up available to them even if these guys aren't available like grealish, compared to our 4 forwards is night and day.

Doak should be training with our first team gaining experience , look at Spain and the young 16 year old record breaker.
Find quality strikers and it could be take-off for Scotland, or qualify through the finals group stages for the first time.

Jota was in the Brazen not long ago I mind, therego he must have a Scottish/Irish granny and granda , who hasn't 🤷🏻‍♂️

England are very good they lost the last Euros with a missed penalty and probably deserved to win the game (arguably the best team in Europe at this current time)on Ch 4 before the game they spoke about gilmour and mcginn etc not much about McGregor and McGregor was definitely our best midfielder last night especially second half (and was best midfielder against them at the euros even tho Billy got raved reviews) I would have started dykes before adams but I don't think that would changed the scoreline .....our aim is to qualify for tournaments and England's aim is to win them ......we have not qualified for Germany yet so let's get positive results against Spain or Georgia

I might be on my own here but "here we go again".
I honestly thought beforehand we were slightly overhyped and England under-hyped.
Consider that we are playing imho above ourselves of late, against ' say what you will' but to me against , in England one of the top European nations in Europe.
Two dreadful defensive errors cost 2 goals , something we'd cut out recently, and was really unlike us under Clarke but we plugged away and came out for the second 45 with a renewed vigour to our game and really took it to them ,the McGuire o.g was deserved if only for our link up and possession play and dogged determination and quality.

From 2-0 down to 2-1 going into the last 10 minutes looking positively for the equaliser we were in with every chance of stealing a draw last night.
Said it many times , we all have,
This Scotland side is almost compete but we're missing a top quality forward line.

Adams/soton, Dykes/QPR, Shankland/hearts and Nisbet of Millwall.
That's our choice of strikers.
Contrast our front line to the rest of the nations groups A, whom we'll compete against soon and youll find we're miles off that level of quality up front, our midfield is a great one and defence is also very top quality , recent results have shown this theyve not been fluked results either but hard fought fully deserved wins.
These friendlies against England and France will be good experience for us and what's to come, the Euros ( God willing we'll get the points ) either v Georgia or Spain will ko Norway before we play them, or we take care of them ourselves.
Norway require 9pts from 9pts meaning they MUST defeat Cyprus (a) , Spain (h) and Scotland (a) a draw against Spain not enough should we get 1pt in Georgia something we're capable of.
Of course this is Scotland so no surprise should we win our last 3 games either and top the group ( awrite ! Big surprise to beat Spain there , but was big surprise to beat them here) , can't write us off we're so close now .

I think many perhaps thought our form would play a telling factor v England and it did , it was the 80th minute or so before England put the game to bed as we chased it the game opened up and kane did what he does better than anyone else , scored a great goal, the only one of the game.

Our strikers listed above compared against Kane ( Munich) Bellingham ( madrid), Saka ( arsenal) who didn't start. Foden&Grealish ( man city) Rashford ( man utd) and thats only the ones Southgatecould name..
When England get it right there's few sides who can live with them, right now id say only France and Portugal have looked on England's level in the European qualifiers football , along with ourselves.

Norway beat Cyprus 2-1 in Oslo, 4-2 shots on target yes Haaland played and scored.
I think we can beat Georgia and Cyprus though may not need to.
I suppose I'm saying that the SMSM as usual is getting everyone ahead of themselves .
Disappointing majorly, to lose that game but I saw enough to take from it that right now we are one of Europe's darkhorse better sides, 10th in UEFAs ranking appears to be deserved. For whatever that's worth.
Outside the top 8 European nations of

France
Croatia
England
Spain
Italy
Portugal
Holland
Belgium
(Jmo not going by the rankings)

Having now watched the elite European nations I think I've seen now we deserve to be top of those 2nd tier nations or thereabouts.
Scotland have shown, in this and previous seasons we're a nation on the up, Czechia, Switzerland, Denmark, Serbia, Hungary, Austria, Sweden, Poland, Turkey, Ukraine or Norway have all found that we are more than a match and more for any of them.
If we can get young forwards and strikers into this top level playing staff side we could do some damage, Ben Doak.....has he pledged to Scotland I believe and is only 19 in November I think.
These are the guys who could make us whole Shankland is our only top flight striker and I thought he mightve got a game given his form though Clarke like many managers have players they believe they can rely upon , their favourites if you like.

I'm disappointed but not overly disheartened as there's far bigger fish to fry regarding the Euros qualification and our first appearance as an elite nation in the nations league, a tournament growing in stature, that will help our coefficent as well.
This could be seen as a risky approach but we must prepare for the best Europe has to offer.
Mctominays goalscoring record in this is incredible for a CB playing up front.

Long story sh...not so long, aye we lost a non competition game /3pts (note I didn't say non competitive as there are no Sco v Eng friendlies but we've lost nothing other than momentum and just about every team England face will lose more than momentum but points.
I'm still entranced, excited , astonished , dumbfounded by what Clarke achieved In such a short time, and we gave as good as we got that 2nd 45.

If we can add quality to that front line, which has been incredible all things considered what they've achieved who knows how far this Scotland side could go but this is the time as Robertson and a few others won't be at the top for much longer, luckily for us KT could move forward with Taylor deputising for KT should anything ( touch wood) happen to Robertson.
We kept at it 2nd ½ and caused them problems with our passing game just a shame it wasn't direct enough but that's back to our limitations on our front line.

Keeping our eyes on the big picture and prize > 2nd Euros qualification on the bounce is the main thing and I'm sure as disappointed as the rest of us are the players will know they competed last night.

That's my take on it anyway , no top flight strikers but that can change quickly in this game, and this particular one showed we are lacking a Griffiths, an Archibald, type spearhead to our attacks , speaks volumes Mctominey is our top scorer.

The futures bright it's green and white so don't be surprised if we are the club who provides such a forward.

So there's my wee point on it.
I've got other straight to the point thoughts as well 😛😴

SLANGE 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

A good read.....and paragraphed to feck.....kudos ma mhan...

England are very good they lost the last Euros with a missed penalty and probably deserved to win the game (arguably the best team in Europe at this current time)on Ch 4 before the game they spoke about gilmour and mcginn etc not much about McGregor and McGregor was definitely our best midfielder last night especially second half (and was best midfielder against them at the euros even tho Billy got raved reviews) I would have started dykes before adams but I don't think that would changed the scoreline .....our aim is to qualify for tournaments and England's aim is to win them ......we have not qualified for Germany yet so let's get positive results against Spain or Georgia
To true tommy we need to qualify first, the game last night just a friendly and training exercise at the end of the day they they were better than us on the night yes they scored 3 goals think the keeper could have got at least one of them but at the other end we did not take our few chances back to the league and things that matter thank God

Back