shove yer poppy up yer a**e? Not for me!

I choose not to honour the poppy.

It is a peaceful and silent protest against the futility and madness of war.

Particularly those wars which are illegal, unethical, and without justification.

It is a peaceful and silent protest against the indefensible loss of life suffered by innocent victims of armed response units.

It is a peaceful and silent protest against a crown and government which sanctioned many of these losses for the want of territory and wealth.

It is a peaceful and silent protest against the institutions of the media who propogate and support the myth with subjective reporting and propoganda.

I agree wholeheartedly that a football stadium is not the environment to voice such opinions; however - there is an accepted day for remembrance and there is plenty of scope on that day for people to honour their dead.

If the footballing world wishes to be supportive in honouring the dead - then don't schedule matches on the day of remembrance.

As WFB has pointed out. The poppy has become a brand, the associations have been tarnished further by it's gaudy representations and media profile.

The image of the poppy should be a symbol of shame to successive governments who chose to sacrifice their young. It should never be worn with the shameful pride that is so evident in parliament and throughout the institutions.

hail hail mate,i used to say can you imagine the british army on the streets of Glasgow-blank stares!!!

Obviously not the same as in Ireland but in 1919 soldiers from Glasgow looking to go back to work after returning from WW1 had the British Army deploy some 10,000 troops and 6 tanks against them after a 40-hour strike to get fairer working hours and more people employed was deemed a "Bolshevist uprising".

The British have never cared about the soldiers or the people. We are taxed cannon-fodder. Serfs of the state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_George_Square

ORQX6Pz.jpg

Just realised it's almost 100 years since that happened. I wonder if the British Legion will honour the memory of British soldiers oppressing British veterans in Britain?

After all it was "Greatest Ever Brit", Churchill who sent the soldiers up here, and the strike was broken up and the demands relinquished, sooo military victory?

Last edited:
Sick to the back teeth of some Celtic fans who can't respect others. A club open to all? my fking arse! Only when it suits the i.r.a loving mob within our support.
How many of the Celtic support have served their country in the armed forces? How many's grand/parents have fought in wars? Thats why i wear a poppy. To remember the sacrifices these men and women made.
You may not like me saying it but how about we start respecting each others choices.
Armed forces my arse. I've witnessed what your so called armed forces are capable of. Fuckin scum. PTSD you say, most people where I live suffer from ptsd as a direct result of a shower a fuckers in OUR country. Nobody put a gun to your brothers head to make him join these tramps, it was his choice. I could write a book on what these "armed forces" done on men women and children in our country. Do you ever question why so many countries they have occupied hate them so much? They leave a trail behind them like a snail. This shite is dragged up every year and it's sickening. Wear your poppy if you want but don't try to ram it down my neck, as far as I'm concerned you got half the title correct, shove your poppy up your arse!

Sick to the back teeth of some Celtic fans who can't respect others. A club open to all? my fking arse! Only when it suits the i.r.a loving mob within our support.
How many of the Celtic support have served their country in the armed forces? How many's grand/parents have fought in wars? Thats why i wear a poppy. To remember the sacrifices these men and women made.
You may not like me saying it but how about we start respecting each others choices.
Pot and kettle mate?

I have a lot to say but i feel if i do then i may be either taken out of context or told that the i.r.a are all great and everyone else are a**holes. Sorry but to my mind i want songs at Parkhead to be about Celtic. Hey what do i know i'm just an idiot with an opinion
Youre entitled to your opinion mate

Reactions: TET
Armed forces my arse. I've witnessed what your so called armed forces are capable of. Fuckin scum. PTSD you say, most people where I live suffer from ptsd as a direct result of a shower a fuckers in OUR country. Nobody put a gun to your brothers head to make him join these tramps, it was his choice. I could write a book on what these "armed forces" done on men women and children in our country. Do you ever question why so many countries they have occupied hate them so much? They leave a trail behind them like a snail. This shite is dragged up every year and it's sickening. Wear your poppy if you want but don't try to ram it down my neck, as far as I'm concerned you got half the title correct, shove your poppy up your arse!
And this is the exact response I expected. Fuck tho form and people like you

Spot on!
We probably all have forefathers who fought and died or were injured in both wars
In our case grandfather at Gallipoli parents at North Africa Anzio Singapore on and on
Tens if not hundreds of thousands of young Catholic men from here and Ireland not to mention England and Wales suffered and their families too obviously
I won’t let the pathetic attitude of the Rangers Orange or even the politically correct vanguard piss me off and stopping me from wearing a poppy to remember them all
IMO Elements of our support need to broaden their mind and not just view the world and the British from the prism of Northern Ireland or the “Black and Tans” etc horrendous as that all was

And this is the exact response I expected. Fuck tho form and people like you
So if this was the response you expected, why ask the question? Only to stir shit. Celtic put in a brilliant performance last night and this is what you highlight. You didn't live through what I did, and how dare you tell me "fuck you". Wear your Brit lovin poppy if you want, lick the queens arse if you want, I don't give a shite, but don't try and divide Celtic support when the team are finally doing well. So fuck you! Your name suits you!

Sick to the back teeth of some Celtic fans who can't respect others. A club open to all? my fking arse! Only when it suits the i.
r.a loving mob within our support.
In reply to your post. I watched a Remembrance Day parade in London about 3 years ago. Marching at this parade were members of the B Specials. I’ve never worn a poppy since. Incidentally, I have extended family who lost 4 young sons in WW2, I don’t need a poppy to remember them.

Spot on!
We probably all have forefathers who fought and died or were injured in both wars
In our case grandfather at Gallipoli parents at North Africa Anzio Singapore on and on
Tens if not hundreds of thousands of young Catholic men from here and Ireland not to mention England and Wales suffered and their families too obviously
I won’t let the pathetic attitude of the Rangers Orange or even the politically correct vanguard piss me off and stopping me from wearing a poppy to remember them all
IMO Elements of our support need to broaden their mind and not just view the world and the British from the prism of Northern Ireland or the “Black and Tans” etc horrendous as that all was
I have travelled the world, I have lived in many countries, I have many friends of different nationalities. I fuckin grew up with these tramps pulling me out of a car as a fuckin seven year old and kickin the shit out of me. I've watched them kick the shit out of my father and uncle, who were in no way political. I am bitter and I don't need to be told that by anyone else. It's something I struggle to not pass on to my own children. But these fuckers made me bitter. Why would I wear a fuckin poppy to commemorate these scumbags? Horrendous doesn't come even close. To say that we are living in a prism of the six counties is shite, tell me where these tramps have done any good? There has been a trail of destruction behind them no matter where they've been, and if anyone takes up arms against them they're viewed as a terrorist. Give me a fuckin break. I'm fuckin fuming with this shite especially after such a great performance last night. Fuckin shite stirring!

Well fuming you may be but the original post was entirely relevant whether the result was a 5-0 win or 5-0 loss
It is with respect not shit stirring I don’t believe
We discuss things that matter to fans here and this subject is both current and of interest and I for one am interested in the disparate views of our fans including yours
I feel the poppy has been stolen from ordinary people by highly agenda driven groups some of them for nefarious reasons ,particularly the Rangers crew , so I have some sympathy with the view we should not support it .. but it is sympathy no more than that
There are many diverse and valid opinions on a site like this so
Going all ad hominem against the original poster just for making a point at least worthy or debate is lowering ourselves to the level of the opposition and their pathetic sites
I entirely sympathise with the brutal cruelty you have obviously been exposed to and the legacy it has clearly left but your view strong as it is ...is just that and no more
Respecting one’s right to their opinion gains one respect!

Well fuming you may be but the original post was entirely relevant whether the result was a 5-0 win or 5-0 loss
It is with respect not shit stirring I don’t believe
We discuss things that matter to fans here and this subject is both current and of interest and I for one am interested in the disparate views of our fans including yours
I feel the poppy has been stolen from ordinary people by highly agenda driven groups some of them for nefarious reasons ,particularly the Rangers crew , so I have some sympathy with the view we should not support it .. but it is sympathy no more than that
There are many diverse and valid opinions on a site like this so
Going all ad hominem against the original poster just for making a point at least worthy or debate is lowering ourselves to the level of the opposition and their pathetic sites
I entirely sympathise with the brutal cruelty you have obviously been exposed to and the legacy it has clearly left but your view strong as it is ...is just that and no more
Respecting one’s right to their opinion gains one respect!
I respect everyones opinion, but obviously the original poster doesn't, when he basically told me to fuck off. If he knew this was going to be the response, then why bring it up to begin with? It's a very divisive subject, and to me that's shit stirring!

My father volunteered at the beginning of WWII , did not wait to be ''called up'', and served until the end of the War - he always refused to wear a poppy because of its connection with Earl Haig , whom he blamed , among others , for the death of his father in WWI .
He never condemned the wearing of the poppy , simply hated that it should be linked with the elite of the British aristocracy who wasted so many lives in such a futile war .

My concern has been the politicisation of the wearing of the poppy and the wearing of it in recent times . I have followed football for over 6 decades and cannot remember any 'minutes silence ' or the wearing of poppies by teams until very recently .
Others may correct me if I am wrong, but I trace this poppy fascism to the Blair years and the aftermath of the Afghanistan and Iraq Wars .
With so many returning troops maimed/damaged psychologically there was a concerted effort to shift public opinion - hence the sudden appearance of organisations such as ''Help for Heroes'' and the 'forced' wearing of the poppy by anyone in the public eye .
Today there is overt pressure on all to wear the poppy regardless of their views and , like Christmas , the actual event has shifted from one day ( November 11 ) to weeks before . We have seen the wearing of poppies for weeks now , particularly on the BBC .

I noticed that Stevie G's was a poppy coupled with a Ranger's badge - this blending of the insignia of this particular club with the poppy is disturbing given that so many fought and died in uniform who would have abhorred the morality of most who follow that club .

Last edited:
This was always going to be a divisive topic but it's incredibly sad that charities have to fund the welfare of veterans and Armed Forces. That should be the real issue and not whether people want to wear a paper flower as this generation can remember well enough without one.

Spot on !
If a government sends troops off to 'war' then they have a duty of care for all that follows . Charities depending on donations to look after people maimed by the very weapons that WE have produced . Arms manufacturers making obscene profits for their shareholders , often British , with close connections to the very people whose decisions send our troops off to war . EVIL !

Members online

Latest posts

Back