So where do we go from here?

Spherical Planet

I'm obsessed with football. I can't explain why, because it's caused me more heartache than I care for and I know that there are more important things in life - especially when we're in the grips of a global pandemic.

Yet here I am crestfallen after another night of abject failure in Europe.

Personally, I would have been content enough to sacrifice European football to focus on and prioritise claiming that 10th successive title; however - it is the manner in which we exited the Champions League that has left me a hollow shell of a man.

It would appear that the relentless Celtic winning machine is sputtering at the moment. The players don't look entirely together and that 'distance' appears to be evident within the management and coaching staff too.

This result now throws into doubt which personnel are going to be part of our plans going forward. No doubt the whispers regarding French Eddy will be turned into screams by a joyous media. The other mumblings of discontent will also begin echoing around the broadcast studios and press rooms too.

There will be calls for the managers resignation or dismissal, but at this late stage - who would be the ideal candidate who is currently available to revitalise and rejuvenate the team?

Neil Lennon has had his frailties exposed, but rather than a complete overhaul, perhaps it would be more prudent to identify an assistant who will challenge Lenny's tactical acumen and reignite his enthusiasm.

Everything has looked a little laboured recently and there may be many reasons for the malaise, but there can be no excuses for the players, management and board. The stakes were known at the start of the season and any good pro should be relishing the challenge.

It can't be just left to fans to ask and answer the hard questions. Everyone within the club is well rewarded and that makes them ultimately accountable for what happens on the field of play and in the boardroom.

People should expect criticism when outcomes are not being met and when they are underachieving. It's not defeat that is the problem here, it is the manner of that defeat which disconcerts us. If it was just 'one of those nights', then I am sure we would put it down to experience, but there is a pattern emerging here which has seen us exit from major European competitions far in advance of when we should expect to be eliminated.

The team looks fragile at the moment. We look vulnerable against raw power. We look sluggish against raw speed. We don't appear to have a positive plan and we don't look like we can adapt to difficult circumstances. We have good players, but with the exception of Eddy - we don't have great players. We have players who can dominate Scottish football, but that aura we had during the invincible season doesn't appear to be in great abundance at the moment.

I may be being overly reactive to a bad result. I may be worrying about matters which should not concern me; however - I feel we have to find our identity as a team and not rely upon past glories. There are too many players who were purchased at cost or developed in-house who seem a million miles from first-team football. There have been positional adjustments that don't make sense and there are players playing first team football who are earning significantly less than current benchwarmers. All of these features will eventually impact upon and erode morale. The hard questions we ask and answer should be exactly the same questions currently preventing our manager and CEO from having a good nights sleep tonight.

I have my own opinions on that question, but it's beyond my pay grade. I only hope that those who are in that wage bracket have acceptable answers and an immediate response.

Very well put SP
No argument from me, the squad, along with management, need to have a 'clear the air' meeting
And get the ship back on course
We are a long way from being ready for the SPFL this season, never mind Europe
Teams play to their 'strengths' against us, we should have contingency plans, when we are having trouble against opposition
Gutted about the result, but we move on
No rear view mirror
HH

I'm obsessed with football. I can't explain why, because it's caused me more heartache than I care for and I know that there are more important things in life - especially when we're in the grips of a global pandemic.

Personally, I would have been content enough to sacrifice European football to focus on and prioritise claiming that 10th successive title; however - it is the manner in which we exited the Champions League that has left me a hollow shell of a man.

It would appear that the relentless Celtic winning machine is sputtering at the moment. The players don't look entirely together and that 'distance' appears to be evident within the management and coaching staff too.

This result now throws into doubt which personnel are going to be part of our plans going forward. No doubt the whispers regarding French Eddy will be turned into screams by a joyous media. The other mumblings of discontent will also begin echoing around the broadcast studios and press rooms too.

There will be calls for the managers resignation or dismissal, but at this late stage - who would be the ideal candidate who is currently available to revitalise and rejuvenate the team?

Neil Lennon has had his frailties exposed, but rather than a complete overhaul, perhaps it would be more prudent to identify an assistant who will challenge Lenny's tactical acumen and reignite his enthusiasm.

Everything has looked a little laboured recently and there may be many reasons for the malaise, but there can be no excuses for the players, management and board. The stakes were known at the start of the season and any good pro should be relishing the challenge.

It can't be just left to fans to ask and answer the hard questions. Everyone within the club is well rewarded and that makes them ultimately accountable for what happens on the field of play and in the boardroom.

People should expect criticism when outcomes are not being met and when they are underachieving. It's not defeat that is the problem here, it is the manner of that defeat which disconcerts us. If it was just 'one of those nights', then I am sure we would put it down to experience, but there is a pattern emerging here which has seen us exit from major European competitions far in advance of when we should expect to be eliminated.

The team looks fragile at the moment. We look vulnerable against raw power. We look sluggish against raw speed. We don't appear to have a positive plan and we don't look like we can adapt to difficult circumstances. We have good players, but with the exception of Eddy - we don't have great players. We have players who can dominate Scottish football, but that aura we had during the invincible season doesn't appear to be in great abundance at the moment.

I may be being overly reactive to a bad result. I may be worrying about matters which should not concern me; however - I feel we have to find our identity as a team and not rely upon past glories. There are too many players who were purchased at cost or developed in-house who seem a million miles from first-team football. There have been positional adjustments that don't make sense and there are players playing first team football who are earning significantly less than current benchwarmers. All of these features will eventually impact upon and erode morale. The hard questions we ask and answer should be exactly the same questions currently preventing our manager and CEO from having a good nights sleep tonight.

I have my own opinions on that question, but it's beyond my pay grade. I only hope that those who are in that wage bracket have acceptable answers and an immediate response.

Great Post SP but I must pull you up on one thing. Do you really believe PL lost any sleep at all last night. He will be fully aware that we have at least 3 players (Ntcham, Ajer and Eddy) that would be happy to move on to a champs league club for big money. Celtic crashing out....again....will not faze him at all. He will get his cash, come what may......BUT.....lets watch him sweat as this season rumbles on. Peter my old chap, you've sold all our world class stars. Your wee development projects haven't been...well developing. With your eye on the bottom line and not the squad you have allowed the team to go backwards. So if you fail to bring in proper quality players and we fail to make the champions league next season what will you do?? Where will your bonus money come from. This is what happens when you, year on year, dismantle a top class squad and fill it will nobodies and projects 👍👍

I don't believe for one minute that the wonderful players that were playing fantastic football just 6 months ago have suddenly become poor. Physically we look in better condition than our opponents in every game so far this season.

Mentally, we seem to have dropped off a little. Maybe this is due to the extended lay-off, maybe we have lost a little bit of camaraderie due to the lack of face-to-face contact, undoubtedly we have lost a bit of intensity due to the lack of atmosphere at games - having 60000 screaming fans must give you a boost (I brought up this point a few months ago and hoped that some of our young fringe players might get more of chance to play due to the extra 2 subs, as they tend to play many of their development games in near-empty stadiums and often on artificial turf).

Have some players had time to think of their futures during lockdown and see themselves playing in bigger leagues, so their heart isn't in it so much?

Tactically, we are definitely failing. The selections, lack of substitutions, square pegs in round holes, selection of favourites irrespective of their performances, etc, etc, have been discussed to death on here - let's hope these points are being discussed as much within our management team as they are on The Noise!

Again, I have been concerned about the lack of a trusted assistant to Lennon since he was announced as our temporary manager. From all reports Kennedy is a wonderful coach and I'm sure he is good at keeping things interesting during training sessions (although why we have defenders that sometimes look like strangers to each other is a massive concern), but he doesn't come across as someone who is prepared to argue with Lennon about his tactics. I'm sure at work we all know that quiet someone who is fantastic technically and when he does speaks about a subject they say a lot of sense and everyone listens, but they will never make it into senior management as they do not inspire their colleagues. And in sport, being passionate and inspirational is as big a factor in successful management as being tactically astute.

Maybe I am wrong (as we are all just guessing at what the dynamics are within our management team are) but when we hit a bad spot in these European matches, we seem to be bereft of ideas - let's just continue what we are doing and hope for a bit of individual magic!

We have won the last 11 domestic trophies and we're going for ten in a row, so we are doing many things right. However, we struggle badly against a well set-up, physical side who like to park the bus then hit us on the counter attack. We knew exactly how they would play last night and yet had no ideas on how to overcome it. From before kick-off we all strongly suspected that Lennon had gotten it wrong but with the 5 subs rule this season he had a marvellous chance to completely change the formation, players, etc. Instead he moved Ntcham to a second false nine and sat arms folded like a skelped backside on the sidelines not seeming to give a hoot, finishes the match with 3 unused subs scratching their arses on the bench and then moans about the attitude of some of the very players he selected!

And Lawwell - stop fannying about thinking you are some sort of super Director of Football. You are a businessman and tough negotiator, but please have more trust in your technical guys. Your ultra-smart penny pinching has actually caused us to lose £millions in European revenue. And before anyone throws in the line about overspending and going bust like the old rangers - there is actually a middle ground, where you can spend a little bit more on better players and become more successful in Europe (rather than just hoping to finish the league 1 point ahead of sevco).

Not every single player purchase has to be a project who you are hoping will be the next VVD, Dembele or Wanyama where you make a fortune on them, as this long odds betting often turns up many more losses than wins. Also, buy players who fit our profile and style of play. As I pointed out in disgust a month ago, Birger Melling was sold for one-third of the amount we paid for Boli and I am pretty sure he would have improved our team significantly (this is just guesswork on my part, as their is nothing certain in any transfer).

I really don't think we are that far away from being a very good team again, but mentally the players and management team need to wise up and get their acts together.

I don't believe for one minute that the wonderful players that were playing fantastic football just 6 months ago have suddenly become poor. Physically we look in better condition than our opponents in every game so far this season.

Mentally, we seem to have dropped off a little. Maybe this is due to the extended lay-off, maybe we have lost a little bit of camaraderie due to the lack of face-to-face contact, undoubtedly we have lost a bit of intensity due to the lack of atmosphere at games - having 60000 screaming fans must give you a boost (I brought up this point a few months ago and hoped that some of our young fringe players might get more of chance to play due to the extra 2 subs, as they tend to play many of their development games in near-empty stadiums and often on artificial turf).

Have some players had time to think of their futures during lockdown and see themselves playing in bigger leagues, so their heart isn't in it so much?

Tactically, we are definitely failing. The selections, lack of substitutions, square pegs in round holes, selection of favourites irrespective of their performances, etc, etc, have been discussed to death on here - let's hope these points are being discussed as much within our management team as they are on The Noise!

Again, I have been concerned about the lack of a trusted assistant to Lennon since he was announced as our temporary manager. From all reports Kennedy is a wonderful coach and I'm sure he is good at keeping things interesting during training sessions (although why we have defenders that sometimes look like strangers to each other is a massive concern), but he doesn't come across as someone who is prepared to argue with Lennon about his tactics. I'm sure at work we all know that quiet someone who is fantastic technically and when he does speaks about a subject they say a lot of sense and everyone listens, but they will never make it into senior management as they do not inspire their colleagues. And in sport, being passionate and inspirational is as big a factor in successful management as being tactically astute.

Maybe I am wrong (as we are all just guessing at what the dynamics are within our management team are) but when we hit a bad spot in these European matches, we seem to be bereft of ideas - let's just continue what we are doing and hope for a bit of individual magic!

We have won the last 11 domestic trophies and we're going for ten in a row, so we are doing many things right. However, we struggle badly against a well set-up, physical side who like to park the bus then hit us on the counter attack. We knew exactly how they would play last night and yet had no ideas on how to overcome it. From before kick-off we all strongly suspected that Lennon had gotten it wrong but with the 5 subs rule this season he had a marvellous chance to completely change the formation, players, etc. Instead he moved Ntcham to a second false nine and sat arms folded like a skelped backside on the sidelines not seeming to give a hoot, finishes the match with 3 unused subs scratching their arses on the bench and then moans about the attitude of some of the very players he selected!

And Lawwell - stop fannying about thinking you are some sort of super Director of Football. You are a businessman and tough negotiator, but please have more trust in your technical guys. Your ultra-smart penny pinching has actually caused us to lose £millions in European revenue. And before anyone throws in the line about overspending and going bust like the old rangers - there is actually a middle ground, where you can spend a little bit more on better players and become more successful in Europe (rather than just hoping to finish the league 1 point ahead of sevco).

Not every single player purchase has to be a project who you are hoping will be the next VVD, Dembele or Wanyama where you make a fortune on them, as this long odds betting often turns up many more losses than wins. Also, buy players who fit our profile and style of play. As I pointed out in disgust a month ago, Birger Melling was sold for one-third of the amount we paid for Boli and I am pretty sure he would have improved our team significantly (this is just guesswork on my part, as their is nothing certain in any transfer).

I really don't think we are that far away from being a very good team again, but mentally the players and management team need to wise up and get their acts together.
Spot on we need to capatilise on the possession or its not of any use. We outplay in the possession and fitness but shoot ourselves in the foot, its going to come soon and it will click.

Spot on we need to capatilise on the possession or its not of any use. We outplay in the possession and fitness but shoot ourselves in the foot, its going to come soon and it will click.
I certainly hope so boab. But it won't just "click" on its own - it needs to be worked at. I'm not suggesting that everyone isn't working hard at the moment, but whatever they are doing just isn't quite right. Our players and Lenny have already proven they have what it takes to win trophies and succeed against big opposition in Europe (they have also failed against weaker oppositio too, I sadly admit) so they all need to rediscover that X factor to make it happen.

Sometimes people lose that little bit of hunger after a lot of success or become jaded doing the same thing in training every day or get tired hearing the same rousing speeches before each game. That is where freshening up the squad with a few quality signings often pays off rather than this endless conveyor belt of young foreign "projects" that turn up for training every day for a couple of years never get trusted enough to strut their stuff on the pitch during matchdays.

Personally, I think we should invest a little bit more in some hardened experienced professionals rather than the constant stream of namby pamby pretty light weight footballers. Yes, there is definitely a place for the latter, but you need people who have good ability but are also tough enough to face up to the fight (both mentally and physically). I know I wrote this last summer when the transfer window opened, but I still believe it and after seeing our early games this season, I think it is more true than ever.

And I'd have bought a goal poacher who places himself in the 6 yard box and tap in these easy chances that "my Granny could have scored". How many times in the last 3 matches have we seen cutbacks ping across the opponents goalie's box with no Celtic player nearby to poke it home from close range. Or if Klimala or Ajeti is this type of player then play them for a must win one-off match!

Great Post bud. Summed up all the things I wanted ti say, minus the F's and C's in incoherent angry Caps lock.

Seriously down today. You'd think we'd be immune to this dejection, but we just keep on expecting from this Board, and keep getting taken for mugs.
The amount of us that flocked to pay our season tickets this season, the numbers we take abroad and away, and again, it's just highlighted the fact that we're just lemmings to the Club. We have no real ambition to do anything other than win our piss-poor domestic league.
Waking up to Lenny's comments about players not interested really put the stops on my positive thinking analysis I had planned for today.
Regards to the players who want to leave, just punt them and be done. Ajer has never impressed me defensively, N'tcham is a baller, but only if he feels like it, and been having bad vibes about Eddy since we resumed fitbaw.

No idea where we go from here. Nothing will change. We'll prob sell Eddy now, that was probably PL's safety net when he gambled 30 mill and lost lastnight.

Somethings sown the seeds of discontent at the club if rumours are true

ajer,demble ,christie all want away ,bolingoli does overnights , add in the tik tok fkwit who eats his own weight and ignores everything the club asks plus the doubts over eddie ,we've gone backwards at an alarming rate

Are we back to the days of the cliques which lennys previous teams had that Ronny touched in when he took over ,giving the team 4 days off when some are not even match fit reeks of a lackadaisical approach

As a supporter i'm gutted as everyone else

As a customer i know i've been shafted AGAIN

I've just seen lenny on sky and he says players have came to him n said they want to move on it's been bothering him for 6 month so I assume the board also know some want to leave so wits the fuckin strategy for this season's signings to replace the want always? Are the board gonna get him enough to cover losses and still be able to sustain a long season Julien was awful last night 7 mill he cost Its not good enough i get je was bought before pandemic but we over paid massively major obviously wants to go fine sell him bring in some one who's first n foremost a bloody good defender I'm no happy way klimala not being on he wid av been a target at the very least no good enough for lenny or is it a ploy fae gaffer to send message to board he needs more substantial funds playing without a strikers unforgivable as soon as i heard i knew we were getting beat we need a proper sit down at our club get it all out n get a fuckin strategy never mind haggling for the odd million here or there sell the want aways quickly n get new recruits in rapid play celtic am pure scunnered man

Sorry but for me lennon is now finished at celtic. His team selection was nothing short of a cry a for help. A manager at that stage needs let go. His name cries out to be here for 10 IAR but we can't afford passengers or folk who are obviously way out of their depth within the modern game.

Well said!

We critically analyse where it’s going wrong and we take positive steps to fix things imo.....if that means bringing in an astute and experienced tactician then so be it.....what we don’t do is accept things as they are and move on regardless.....if we do nothing we’re asking for failure.....fail to plan...plan to fail...

I've just seen lenny on sky and he says players have came to him n said they want to move on it's been bothering him for 6 month so I assume the board also know some want to leave so wits the fuckin strategy for this season's signings to replace the want always? Are the board gonna get him enough to cover losses and still be able to sustain a long season Julien was awful last night 7 mill he cost Its not good enough i get je was bought before pandemic but we over paid massively major obviously wants to go fine sell him bring in some one who's first n foremost a bloody good defender I'm no happy way klimala not being on he wid av been a target at the very least no good enough for lenny or is it a ploy fae gaffer to send message to board he needs more substantial funds playing without a strikers unforgivable as soon as i heard i knew we were getting beat we need a proper sit down at our club get it all out n get a fuckin strategy never mind haggling for the odd million here or there sell the want aways quickly n get new recruits in rapid play celtic am pure scunnered man
Benkovic, Boyota and Jozo ( when aff the treatment table) were all more defensively dependable than him. He was fucking shocking lastnight, for the umpteenth time in the few games we've played.
Hes definitely one of the ones who thinks he's better than he is.

so wits the fuckin strategy
It appears it was to release a hard working player who would run through a brick wall for the Hoops to allow him to sign for a competitor while deferring his wages for 12 months, to keep playing disgruntled highly paid divas who think they are better than Celtic while refusing to play these endless "projects" so ensuring they never get a chance to settle or shine, and to fanny about haggling over every single affordable legitimate transfer target, often losing out to other teams or finally getting the players in far too late for us to use in our quest to qualify for the Champions League!

The same as last season, and the season before, and the season before, etc, etc!

Members online

Latest posts

Back