Steven Gerrard - A star is Born

But seriously now. If we try to look as objectively as possible at Gerrard's Ibrox stint so far. I'm not sure what to make of it.

On the one hand, he's a rookie so growing pains should be expected. It's a great jump from an U20 team to a professional club that plays in front of 50,000 fans every other week and expects you to deliver silverware.
And he isn't doing that badly. He took his team through the EL qualifying stages, which Brother Pedro famously couldn't progrès through. He's got to the last group match with a chance to get to the KO stage. In the league, he isn't doing that badly. Poor away form, but he's just 2-5 points below us, which isn't really that bad. Depending on how he navigates the December schedule, and if we don't pump them the 29th, he might finish the season. That's pretty good for the manager of that lot.

Ah, he also made Andy Halliday look like a professional football player. So there's that.

On the other hand, he signed like 15 players or so, of which none look like the kind of player who will be a key part in challenging us now or in the near future. He appears to be a very poor in-game tactician -makes changes too late or simply makes terrible substitutions-. He doesn't look vocal at all from the sidelines, doesn't even try to shout instructions to his players most of the time. Then at full time he says things along the lines of "my players didn't follow my gameplan". Well, it didn't appear to you that you were just a few yards from them and could instruct them to do so???

His most obvious (maybe only) strength is that he was a world renowned superstar and his players are supposed to respect him and listen to him. If they don't follow his gameplan or he's not able to make his players do so... what can he offer? Not sure he should have accepted the Ibrox job with what I've seen. He took a big gamble and now he's trapped in a situation where expectations are as unrealistic as they can be.

But seriously now. If we try to look as objectively as possible at Gerrard's Ibrox stint so far. I'm not sure what to make of it.

On the one hand, he's a rookie so growing pains should be expected. It's a great jump from an U20 team to a professional club that plays in front of 50,000 fans every other week and expects you to deliver silverware.
And he isn't doing that badly. He took his team through the EL qualifying stages, which Brother Pedro famously couldn't progrès through. He's got to the last group match with a chance to get to the KO stage. In the league, he isn't doing that badly. Poor away form, but he's just 2-5 points below us, which isn't really that bad. Depending on how he navigates the December schedule, and if we don't pump them the 29th, he might finish the season. That's pretty good for the manager of that lot.

Ah, he also made Andy Halliday look like a professional football player. So there's that.

On the other hand, he signed like 15 players or so, of which none look like the kind of player who will be a key part in challenging us now or in the near future. He appears to be a very poor in-game tactician -makes changes too late or simply makes terrible substitutions-. He doesn't look vocal at all from the sidelines, doesn't even try to shout instructions to his players most of the time. Then at full time he says things along the lines of "my players didn't follow my gameplan". Well, it didn't appear to you that you were just a few yards from them and could instruct them to do so???

His most obvious (maybe only) strength is that he was a world renowned superstar and his players are supposed to respect him and listen to him. If they don't follow his gameplan or he's not able to make his players do so... what can he offer? Not sure he should have accepted the Ibrox job with what I've seen. He took a big gamble and now he's trapped in a situation where expectations are as unrealistic as they can be.

He never looks that enthusiastic to me so maybe his demeanour is rubbing off. I think he know now that he has bought into a pile of shite.

Andy Halliday a professional football player ?hmm am still not convinced

did'nt have the qualifications for the m.k don's gig,great player,piss poor manager,him and gary mcallister,failed manager, i could have got the huns through that group,how would they have fared against rb leipzig and rb salzburg, aye exactly! mon the rapid and watch the orc's turn!

did'nt have the qualifications for the m.k don's gig,great player,piss poor manager,him and gary mcallister,failed manager, i could have got the huns through that group,how would they have fared against rb leipzig and rb salzburg, aye exactly! mon the rapid and watch the orc's turn!

Yes their group is weaker than ours, but he still had good group matches. They drew against Vilareal twice, they're are having a dismal season but they're still a La Liga team and they have quality players. I think they'll bottle it on Thursday, but they might even win and go through. So credit where credit is due. Massive improvement for them after last year's Luxembourg disaster, and also a boost for us that they have been distracted with Europe and had to rotate in the league, and a nice boost to Scotland's European coefficient. I actually wouldn't mind much them getting to the next round and keeping them busy for a couple more midweek matches. We know how to cope with it but they'll keep dropping points.

Yes their group is weaker than ours, but he still had good group matches. They drew against Vilareal twice, they're are having a dismal season but they're still a La Liga team and they have quality players. I think they'll bottle it on Thursday, but they might even win and go through. So credit where credit is due. Massive improvement for them after last year's Luxembourg disaster, and also a boost for us that they have been distracted with Europe and had to rotate in the league, and a nice boost to Scotland's European coefficient. I actually wouldn't mind much them getting to the next round and keeping them busy for a couple more midweek matches. We know how to cope with it but they'll keep dropping points.

Uztai thats 2 dubious posts pal jist sayin

Back