Tom Rogic

Imatim

Anyone else think playing for Australia is having a detrimental effect on Tom Rogic’s Celtic career.

He hasn’t played a game for us due to injury in what seems an eternity and they want him to play for Australia.

Remembering they did us no favours when they insisted he missed our game against the Huns last year and then proceeded not to play him when he arrived. There was something rotten about that.

https://thecelticstar.com/rogics-return-but-for-the-socceroos-not-celtic/

Last edited:
Anyone else think playing for Australia is having a detrimental effect on Tom Rogic’s Celtic career.

He hasn’t played game for us due to injury in what seems an eternity and they want him to play for Australia.

Remembering they did us no favours when they insisted he missed our game against the Huns last year and then proceeded not to play him when he arrived. There was something rotten about that.

Maybe the Aussies didn't have him wrapped in as much cotton wool as we do.

They can piss right off he comes back injured from internationals all the time then takes 5-6 games to get match fit goes away again an gets injured again. He's a brilliant player but only plays about 10 good games a season. I would sell him if we get a half decent offer an I hate saying that cos he can be top class when he's on form but he rarely is.

He's one of the most talented players we have but he's never been the fittest, hardly ever makes it past 60 minutes and seems to take a while to get over injuries.
Maybe Shamrock nailed it, the aussie don't look after him the way we do, everytime he goes away with them he comes back broken. It's a shame because when he's on form he's brilliant but I'm starting to forget what he looks like.

He hasn’t played game for us due to injury in what seems an eternity and they want him to play for Australia.

(y)Then played him when unfit and he's never quite recovered. Yes I do think it has a massive detrimental effect on the lad and us. From a Celtic standpoint I wish he'd retire from International football, but that won't happen and we just have to accept sometimes if we want our players to be very good chances are they will be internationals annoying as it is with ones outside Europe

Brilliant player and one of the most technically gifted we have at the club but getting to the stage where he's beginning to feel like an expensive luxury who plays maybe 5 or 6 games in a row then disappears out of the team again for months on end. Been a Celtic player since 2013 (part of which he spent on loan in Australia) yet he's never had a decent sustained run in the team over the course of a season.

Would hate to see such a talent walk out the door but can't help feeling frustrated that we pay him tens of thousands in wages every week, we pay for and facilitate his recovery from frequent injuries and all we get in return is a few cameo appearances then he's off playing for Australia again only to return injured or fatigued and the whole process starts all over again.

I don't know his contract situation but if there was a way to build a 'no-international availability' clause into it to maintain his wage level then it might be the only chance we have got of seeing the best of his talents in a Celtic shirt.

He's gone from being main man to, "Oh, aye...What's he up to?"

I don't know his contract situation but if there was a way to build a 'no-international availability' clause into it to maintain his wage level then it might be the only chance we have got of seeing the best of his talents in a Celtic shirt.

He's gone from being main man to, "Oh, aye...What's he up to?"

I think I’m right in saying he got a new and improved extended contract last year.....the thing is Australia is apparently demanding he plays in their next game coming up shortly knowing he is just coming back from an extended lay off through injury.....an injury he sustained playing for Australia.....it appears to me that someone in the Australian Soccer Federation doesn’t like us.....I say this keeping in mind that they wouldn’t let TR play against the Huns last year and demanded he get on a plane to join the Australian squad in the Asian tournament.....then proceeded to not pick him for their next game when he got there and he sat in the stand watching the game....a bewildering scenario

I would like to think Tom Rogic had the final word on whether or not he was fit to play either for Celtic or Australia and I would also like to emphasize to TR......Australia do not pay your wages.
He has a loyalty to Glasgow Celtic who every time he get,s injured pick up the medical bill and also keep paying his wages while in recovery which has been for a very long time since the last injury playing for Australia..
Sure when he is on his game he is as good as they come,but he is more a 60-70 minute man now because of the injuries he has got to overcome,, he just cant get back to full fitness because of the amount of injuries he has had,,and in my opinion when he is fit he should be pulling on a green and white hoop jersey and not a canary yellow jersey..
Ludicrous to think that Celtic could even consider allowing him to go with the Australian team without first having proven his fitness with Celtic..
Do the Australian FA think we just get TR ready for them when they come calling ??.
Let the Celtic board and supporters see a little bit of what they paid for before sticking on the Kangaroo suit and hopping back to OZ..HH

My blood boiled when I read the quote
“He’s a big part of what we do and we always expect him to be ready to play for us."
NL clearly has a different opinion regarding his fitness and full recovery time.
“Tom is still a little bit away. He’s training, but he missed the whole of pre-season. He’s got himself in good condition and hopefully we’ll see him soon.”
It's another blatant example of the Socceroos showing zero respect to the club and and Tams welfare.
(Knowing my curse he will be on the bench fit on Sunday ☺ after saying this, won't mind if he comes on and dusts them though)
Good point made by imatim further up about the murky side down under...celtic para brain says yes but I can't back it up as I don't know any fans of other clubs with Aussie players that have been called up regardless of fitness.
It's always stank and it's never benefited us. Time and time again.

My blood boiled when I read the quote
“He’s a big part of what we do and we always expect him to be ready to play for us."
NL clearly has a different opinion regarding his fitness and full recovery time.
“Tom is still a little bit away. He’s training, but he missed the whole of pre-season. He’s got himself in good condition and hopefully we’ll see him soon.”
It's another blatant example of the Socceroos showing zero respect to the club and and Tams welfare.
(Knowing my curse he will be on the bench fit on Sunday ☺ after saying this, won't mind if he comes on and dusts them though)
Good point made by imatim further up about the murky side down under...celtic para brain says yes but I can't back it up as I don't know any fans of other clubs with Aussie players that have been called up regardless of fitness.
It's always stank and it's never benefited us. Time and time again.

There is a soccer pundit/so called analyst on SBS TV called Craig Foster who never has a decent word to say about Celtic.....Scottish ancestry there.....there’s also Craig Moore the ex hun who regularly tried to break Henrik’s legs.....that rat Muscat was also coaching Melbourne Victory until recently when he got the bullet.....and I don’t think the Aussie soccer manager Graham Arnold is Celtic friendly either.....I’m sure others can add to this

He hasn’t played a game for us due to injury in what seems an eternity and they want him to play for Australia.

Oh aye without a doubt and something to keep in mind in future for any other players fay that area of world football its a shame he was dynamite at his best HH

Back