Whinging

SamTeàrlachH

Not even after the infamous 'Helicopter Sunday' and the imminent departure of Martin O'Neill did I encounter so much negativity surrounding our club by our own fans. It's astonishing how negative things are. You'd think we'd just finished third in the league and lost all our best players. If you were to introduce someone who knew nothing about Celtic to a cross section of our current fans, they'd die laughing if you told them we were a club who had just won a treble treble. You could write an entire essay on the wave of negativity that emanated from a significant portion of Celtic fans when Neil Lennon was appointed manager, with some claiming this announcement had 'ruined' the treble treble. Ruined the treble treble - just try to wrap your head around the entitled, toy-throwing, snot-nosed spoiled wean attitude behind that. Then there's the huge delusional revisionism about how bad a manager Neil Lennon is, despite all the evidence suggesting otherwise.

But beyond Lennon, every single detail of every single happening is being seized upon by a section of our support, particularly online (though I'd be lying if I said it wasn't notable in the non-cyber world too) and turned into a negative. Celtic supposedly want Motherwell's David Turnbull: immediately, it's assumed that Celtic won't pay the necessary price for him and it'll be another McGinn situation (something for which people just assume Peter Lawwell was in the wrong over without knowing the full facts) or he'll go to Sevco over Celtic due to the way we treated Scott Allen or Jack Hendry. I even seen one Celtic fan say that Turnbull would pick Sevco over Celtic because of the chance to work with Slippy Gerrard. That's where we are - our own fans making Sevco's delusional arguments for them. I think a lot of our fan base have become figuratively fattened and sedentary with success. A portion of them now are just determined to turn every single thing that happens to us into an platform of whinging and moaning and negativity. Even a TREBLE TREBLE was brushed aside by some so they could predict the apocalypse due to the appointment of Neil Lennon after getting THEMSELVES whipped up into a frenzy over Rafael Benitez (who just said in an interview he'd like to manage Celtic 'one day' but 'not now') and other wildly delusional names that were never going to come to Celtic.

The thing about negativity is that it's contagious. And even though I have belief in Neil Lennon, not unthinking belief based on his credentials as not just 'a Celtic man' but a Celtic legend, I can't help but get pulled into the negativity. Either you feel compelled to challenge to it, or you end up beginning to hate your fellow supporters (obviously not all of them - not by a longshot) for seemingly doing their best to pish on the parade of an unprecedented treble treble. I can only hope positive actions push all this negativity away, but while I dislike all that new age pish about positive and negative energies as influences on reality, I hope to christ we don't witness drops in attendances and constant moaning and relentless call for Neil Lennon to go at the first sign of inevitable on-field and off-field troubles. It's somewhat inevitable that great forces usually destroy themselves from within (hullo Sevco) - I really hope our 10-in-a-row campaign isn't sabotaged by our own. That'd be one thousand times worse than losing it due to being beaten by a better team.

Last edited:
Not even after the infamous 'Helicopter Sunday' and the imminent departure of Martin O'Neill did I encounter so much negativity surrounding our club by our own fans. It's astonishing how negative things are. You'd think we'd just finished third in the league and lost all our best players. If you were to introduce someone who knew nothing about Celtic to a cross section of our current fans, they'd die laughing if you told them we were a club who had just won a treble treble. You could write an entire essay on the wave of negativity that emanated from a significant portion of Celtic fans when Neil Lennon was appointed manager, with some claiming this announcement had 'ruined' the treble treble. Ruined the treble treble - just try to wrap your head around the entitled, toy-throwing, snot-nosed spoiled wean attitude behind that. Then there's the huge delusional revisionism about how bad a manager Neil Lennon is, despite all the evidence suggesting otherwise.

But beyond Lennon, every single detail of every single happening is being seized upon by a section of our support, particularly online (though I'd be lying if I said it wasn't notable in the non-cyber world too) and turned into a negative. Celtic supposedly want Motherwell's David Turnbull: immediately, it's assumed that Celtic won't pay the necessary price for him and it'll be another McGinn situation (something for which people just assume Peter Lawwell was in the wrong over without knowing the full facts) or he'll go to Sevco over Celtic due to the way we treated Scott Allen or Jack Hendry. I even seen one Celtic fan say that Turnbull would pick Sevco over Celtic because of the chance to work with Slippy Gerrard. That's where we are - our own fans making Sevco's delusional arguments for them. I think a lot of our fan base have become figuratively fattened and sedentary with success. A portion of them now are just determined to turn every single thing that happens to us into an platform of whinging and moaning and negativity. Even a TREBLE TREBLE was brushed aside by some so they could predict the apocalypse due to the appointment of Neil Lennon after getting THEMSELVES whipped up into a frenzy over Rafael Benitez (who just said in an interview he'd like to manage Celtic 'one day' but 'now now') and other wildly delusional names that were never going to come to Celtic.

The thing about negativity is that it's contagious. And even though I have belief in Neil Lennon, not unthinking belief based on his credentials as not just 'a Celtic man' but a Celtic legend, I can't help but get pulled into the negativity. Either you feel compelled to challenge to it, or you end up beginning to hate your fellow supporters (obviously not all of them - not by a longshot) for seemingly doing their best to pish on the parade of an unprecedented treble treble. I can only hope positive actions push all this negativity away, but while I dislike all that new age pish about positive and negative energies as influences on reality, I hope to christ we don't witness drops in attendances and constant moaning and relentless call for Neil Lennon to go at the first sign of inevitable on-field and off-field troubles. It's somewhat inevitable that great forces usually destroy themselves from within (hullo Sevco) - I really hope our 10-in-a-row campaign isn't sabotaged by our own. That'd be one thousand times worse than losing it due to being beaten by a better team.
Very well said Sam,I think sometimes our fans are reading a lot of shite coming from our detractors
simple,dont read or believe the garbage.been the same for decades,wise up ffs!!

A grand read with plenty of things that needed saying, Sam.

If that's what the Sunday blues brings out, then long may they continue. Perhaps you should do some investigative research in the boozers for your next piece, especially considering that the editor is away just now.

Hahaha, unfortunately most of the boozers near me are painted maroon and full of Wee Huns. There are a few decent Celtic pubs in Edina, but not near me sadly.

Excellent post. We should be high as kites at the moment after a treble treble and sitting on 8 leagues in a row. Yet the negativity is awful. Lenny does need support in some aspects of management and some of the recent fitba was terrible but we won. These are incredibly successful times for us that can't last forever so we need enjoy them while they are happening.

Excellent post. We should be high as kites at the moment after a treble treble and sitting on 8 leagues in a row. Yet the negativity is awful. Lenny does need support in some aspects of management and some of the recent fitba was terrible but we won. These are incredibly successful times for us that can't last forever so we need enjoy them while they are happening.
Dont care about the detractors I'm as high as a kite and nothing any one can say or write will change that fs we could still have the Kelly's and whites

But beyond Lennon, every single detail of every single happening is being seized upon by a section of our support, particularly online (though I'd be lying if I said it wasn't notable in the non-cyber world too) and turned into a negative. Celtic supposedly want Motherwell's David Turnbull: immediately, it's assumed that Celtic won't pay the necessary price for him and it'll be another McGinn situation (something for which people just assume Peter Lawwell was in the wrong over without knowing the full facts) or he'll go to Sevco over Celtic due to the way we treated Scott Allen or Jack Hendry. I even seen one Celtic fan say that Turnbull would pick Sevco over Celtic because of the chance to work with Slippy Gerrard. That's where we are - our own fans making Sevco's delusional arguments for them. I think a lot of our fan base have become figuratively fattened and sedentary with success. A portion of them now are just determined to turn every single thing that happens to us into an platform of whinging and moaning and negativity. Even a TREBLE TREBLE was brushed aside by some so they could predict the apocalypse due to the appointment of Neil Lennon after getting THEMSELVES whipped up into a frenzy over Rafael Benitez (who just said in an interview he'd like to manage Celtic 'one day' but 'not now') and other wildly delusional names that were never going to come to Celtic.

Hail Hail Sam, fantastic post ???

We should be high as kites at the moment after a treble treble and sitting on 8 leagues in a row.

I still am. Eight leagues in a row, three trebles -- that will never stop being awesome. Ever. I have no idea what the problem is with the folks who can't see that, but I'm past caring about that right now, except to say one thing: All the speculation about the manager's and players' performance next season, whether from pundits or fans posting on forums, is worthless conjecture at this point. They don't play the game on paper or on a PlayStation -- it's played on the pitch.

There are concerns, to be sure, but they clearly don't deserve the wailing and gnashing of teeth that has transpired here and elsewhere. Some people need to try a concept called reality.

A tip of the hat to Sam for a great original post.

Dont care about the detractors I'm as high as a kite and nothing any one can say or write will change that fs we could still have the Kelly's and whites
Quite right Winter. Can you imagine these crabbit moaners 20 years from now chatting about this amazing period? "Aye, well - we kept winning everything, but proudly I chucked my toys out the pram cos we retired a club legend who had already given us so much success"! I don't think we should be happy clappers who accept everything unquestioning, but ffs enjoy the victories.

I still am. Eight leagues in a row, three trebles -- that will never stop being awesome. Ever. I have no idea what the problem is with the folks who can't see that, but I'm past caring about that right now, except to say one thing: All the speculation about the manager's and players' performance next season, whether from pundits or fans posting on forums, is worthless conjecture at this point. They don't play the game on paper or on a PlayStation -- it's played on the pitch.

There are concerns, to be sure, but they clearly don't deserve the wailing and gnashing of teeth that has transpired here and elsewhere. Some people need to try a concept called reality.

Originality, thats what its all about Larry, your own thoughts put down. Excellent ?

Quite right Larry. It is a brilliant time to be a Tim! HH

Absolutely. And there will always be concerns and this kind of stuff is healthy. But, as you say, there's concern and then there's hysteria. It's like people get bored so easy. A younger generation perhaps. I know Lenny got an earful after saying there was a generation of Celtic fans who didn't remember the 1990s - he was dead right. All they can do is hear the stories, but they don't remember what it was actually like when it looked like our club my cease to exist or fall into eternal mediocrity.

Maybe not negativity but nervousness. Folks gettin jumpy as we approach the 10.
Or in the words of Paul Simon....
"The nearer your destination the more your slip sliding away"
Although I don't be!I've that'll happen under NL.

Maybe not negativity but nervousness. Folks gettin jumpy as we approach the 10.
Or in the words of Paul Simon....
"The nearer your destination the more your slip sliding away"
Although I don't be!I've that'll happen under NL.
Would not worry about the ten as you have to first get to nine so patience whilst we achieve our double 9 first then we see what the orcs have in their tank, 2x9 never been done lets do it

We have had Lubos, Henriks, Brattbacks,MOMOs, and all have come from relatively small teams and all hace one thing in common they came to Celtic and most moaned, but they left and when they did they left with their history they created, so we have to trust that we have got here on the back of three trebles and one an invincible season that we have in place people who know better than what we read sometimes, after last night i would settle for into last 16 and out as quick as fuck in Europa and onward and upwards once the 9 and 10 is secure.

Back